Subject: Protocol Action: URLs for Telephone Calls to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 10:24:48 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'URLs for Telephone Calls'
<draft-antti-telephony-url-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This has
been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
  This document specifies URL (Uniform Resource Locator) schemes ''tel'',
  ''fax'' and ''modem'' for specifying the location of a terminal in the
  phone network and the connection types (modes of operation) that can be
  used to connect to that entity. This specification covers voice calls
  (normal phone calls, answering machines and voice messaging systems),
  facsimile (telefax) calls and data calls, both for POTS and digital/mobile
  subscribers.

  The "tel" scheme describes a connection to a terminal that handles normal
  voice telephone calls, a voice mailbox or another voice messaging system or
  a service that can be operated using DTMF tones.

  The "fax" scheme describes a connection to a terminal that can handle
  telefaxes (facsimiles). The name (scheme specifier) for the URL is "fax" as
  recommended by ITU-T Recommendation E.123.

  The "modem" scheme describes a connection to a terminal that can handle
  incoming data calls. The term "modem" refers to a device that does
  digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital conversions; in addition to these,
  a "modem" scheme can describe a fully digital connection.

Working Group Summary

  Although an individual submission this document was reviewed by both the
  mmusic and pint working groups.  A number of changes were made in the
  document in response to comments by members of these working groups and in
  response to comments during the IETF Last-Call.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.

Note to RFC Editor:

   Please remove the phrase "Contact person and version control
   responsibility for this specification:" from Section 7 (Author's address)

   Please remove the phrase: "Please include your name and electronic mail 
   address in all communications. If you want to receive the newest version of 
   this specification electronically, send mail to the address above." from the 
   same section 7.
To: IETF-Announce:;
Dcc: *******
Cc: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Subject: Protocol Action: URLs for Telephone Calls to Proposed Standard
-------------

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'URLs for Telephone Calls'
<draft-antti-telephony-url-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This has
been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
  This document specifies URL (Uniform Resource Locator) schemes ''tel'',
  ''fax'' and ''modem'' for specifying the location of a terminal in the
  phone network and the connection types (modes of operation) that can be
  used to connect to that entity. This specification covers voice calls
  (normal phone calls, answering machines and voice messaging systems),
  facsimile (telefax) calls and data calls, both for POTS and digital/mobile
  subscribers.

  The "tel" scheme describes a connection to a terminal that handles normal
  voice telephone calls, a voice mailbox or another voice messaging system or
  a service that can be operated using DTMF tones.

  The "fax" scheme describes a connection to a terminal that can handle
  telefaxes (facsimiles). The name (scheme specifier) for the URL is "fax" as
  recommended by ITU-T Recommendation E.123.

  The "modem" scheme describes a connection to a terminal that can handle
  incoming data calls. The term "modem" refers to a device that does
  digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital conversions; in addition to these,
  a "modem" scheme can describe a fully digital connection.

Working Group Summary

  Although an individual submission this document was reviewed by both the
  mmusic and pint working groups.  A number of changes were made in the
  document in response to comments by members of these working groups and in
  response to comments during the IETF Last-Call.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.

Note to RFC Editor:

   Please remove the phrase "Contact person and version control
   responsibility for this specification:" from Section 7 (Author's address)

   Please remove the phrase: "Please include your name and electronic mail 
   address in all communications. If you want to receive the newest version of 
   this specification electronically, send mail to the address above." also in
   section 7.