Subject: Protocol Action: RTP Payload for DTMF Digits, Telephony Tones and Telephony Signals to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 08:28:31 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RTP Payload for DTMF Digits,
Telephony Tones and Telephony Signals' <draft-ietf-avt-tones-07.txt> as
a Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Audio/Video
Transport Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner
and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
 This document defines how to carry both particular telephony control tones
 and general multi-frequency tones in RTP packets.  Tones are explicitly
 encoded so that (1) they can be reproduced without loss of quality even by
 low-rate codecs, and (2) their meaning can be unambiguously determined.

Working Group Summary

 There's been solid working group consensus for the payload format for some
 time.  Discussion focussed on which events in particular to add, and how
 to represent the set of supported events in SDP and in a MIME registration.

Protocol Quality

 The document was reviewed for the IESG by Vern Paxson.