Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-diffserv-ba-def-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:23:24 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Differentiated Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Definition of Differentiated Services Behavior 
                          Aggregates and Rules for their Specification
	Author(s)	: K. Nichols, B. Carpenter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-diffserv-ba-def-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 22-Feb-00
	
The diffserv WG has defined the general architecture for differen-
tiated services (RFC 2475) and has been focused on the definition 
and standardization of the 'per-hop forwarding behaviors' (or 
PHBs) required in routers (RFCs 2474, 2597, and 2598). The dif-
ferentiated services framework creates services within a network 
by applying rules at the edges in the creation of traffic aggregates 
(known as Behavior Aggregates) coupled with the forwarding 
path behavior. The WG has also discussed the behavior required 
at diffserv network edges or boundaries for conditioning the 
aggregates, elements such as policers and shapers [MODEL, 
MIB]. A major feature of diffserv is that only the components 
applying the rules at the edge need to be changed in response to 
short-term changes in QoS goals in the network, rather than 
reconfiguring the interior behaviors.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-ba-def-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-diffserv-ba-def-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-ba-def-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.