Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-goyal-diffserv-afstdy-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 06:38:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Performance Analysis of Assured Forwarding
	Author(s)	: M. Goyal, A. Durresi, R. Jain, C. Liu 
	Filename	: draft-goyal-diffserv-afstdy-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 21-Feb-00
	
One desirable characteristics of any resource allocation (or
differentiation) mechanism is that if many aggregates, each with its
own reservation, are merged with other aggregates of the same class,
each aggregate should get its reserved bandwidth and a fair share of
the excess bandwidth. In particular, the performance of an aggregate
should not be adversely affected by other aggregates and their
congestion sensitivity. TCP flows are congestion sensitive while UDP
flows are congestion insensitive in the sense that TCP flows reduce
their traffic if any packets are lost. The goal of this study is to
see if TCP flow aggregates will be punished for their good behavior
in the presence of competing UDP flow aggregates in the same assured
forwarding class. We identify several factors that affect the
performance in the mixed environments and quantify their effects
using a full factorial design of experiment methodology.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-goyal-diffserv-afstdy-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-goyal-diffserv-afstdy-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-goyal-diffserv-afstdy-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.