Subject: Protocol Action: ARP and IP Broadcast over HIPPI-800 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:16:39 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Proposed Standards:

o ARP and IP Broadcast over HIPPI-800 <draft-pittet-hippiarp-04.txt> 

o IP and ARP over HIPPI-6400 (GSN) <draft-pittet-gsnlan-03.txt> 

These documents has been reviewed in the IETF but are not the product
of an IETF Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten
and Erik Nordmark.

Technical Summary
 
   The ANSI T11.1 task force has standardized HIPPI-6400 (also known as
   Gigabyte System Newtwork (GSN)), a physical-level, point-to-point,
   full-duplex, link interface for reliable, flow-controlled,
   transmission of user data at 6400 Mbit/s, per direction. A parallel
   copper cable interface for distances of up to 40 m is specified in
   HIPPI-6400-PH.  Connections to a longer-distance optical interface
   are standardized in HIPPI-6400-OPT.

   The document "ARP and IP Broadcast over HIPPI-800" specifies a
   method for resolving IP addresses to ANSI High-Performance Parallel
   Interface (HIPPI) hardware addresses (called HARP) and for
   emulating IP broadcast in a logical IP subnet (LIS) as a direct
   extension of HARP. The document defines a HARP that will
   interoperate between HIPPI-800 and HIPPI-6400 (also known as
   Gigabyte System Network, GSN).

   HIPPI-6400-PH defines the encapsulation of IEEE 802.2 LLC PDUs and
   by implication, IP on Gigabyte System Network (GSN). Another T11.1
   standard describes the operation of HIPPI-6400 physical switches
   HIPPI-6400-SC.  T11.1 chose to leave HIPPI-6400 networking issues
   largely outside the scope of their standards; the document "IP and
   ARP over HIPPI-6400 (GSN)" specifies the use of HIPPI- 6400
   switches as IP local area networks. In addition, the document
   further specifies a method for resolving IP addresses to HIPPI-6400
   hardware addresses (HARP) and for emulating IP broadcast in a
   logical IP subnet (LIS) as a direct extension of HARP. The document
   defines an IP encapsulation and HARP that will allow
   interoperability for HIPPI-800 and HIPPI-6400 equipment, both
   broadcast and non-broadcast capable networks.
Working Group Summary

   This document in an individual submission and has not been reviewed
   by any working group.  There are at least three implementations of
   these protocols underway.

Protocol Quality

   This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten