Subject: RFC 2764 on IP Based Virtual Private Networks

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 16:15:19 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2764

        Title:	    A Framework for IP Based Virtual Private Networks
        Author(s):  B. Gleeson, A. Lin, J. Heinanen, G. Armitage,
                    A. Malis 
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       February 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      62
        Characters: 163215
	Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None
        I-D Tag:    draft-gleeson-vpn-framework-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2764.txt

This document describes a framework for Virtual Private Networks
(VPNs) running across IP backbones.  It discusses the various
different types of VPNs, their respective requirements, and proposes
specific mechanisms that could be used to implement each type of VPN
using existing or proposed specifications.  The objective of this
document is to serve as a framework for related protocol development
in order to develop the full set of specifications required for
widespread deployment of interoperable VPN solutions.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.