Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-moskowitz-hip-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 06:40:14 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Host Identity Payload
	Author(s)	: R. Moskowitz
	Filename	: draft-moskowitz-hip-01.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 03-Feb-00
	
This memo describes the Host Identity Payload (HIP) described in the
HIP architecture [HIPARCH] and the protocol that uses it to
establish a rapid authentication between two hosts.  The various
forms of the Host Identity, HI, HIGH, and ESEL are covered in detail
and how they support the authentication and the establishment of
Keying Material that can be used by ESP [ESP].
The basic state machine for HIP provides a HIP compliant host with
the resiliency to avoid many Dos attacks.  The basic HIP exchange
for two public hosts shows the actual packet flow.  Other HIP
exchanges, including those that work across NATs are covered in the
HIP implementation document [HIPIMPL].
Further information on the other components necessary for ESP and AH
implementations is provided by [Thayer97a].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moskowitz-hip-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-moskowitz-hip-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-moskowitz-hip-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.