Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 06:39:45 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IPSec Re-keying Issues
	Author(s)	: T. Jenkins
	Filename	: draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-04.txt
	Pages		: 37
	Date		: 15-Feb-00
	
This document discusses issues associated with the use of protocols
developed in the IETFÆs IPsec working group, specifically, RFC 2409
[IKE] and RFC 2408 [ISAKMP]. It is expected that the reader is
familiar with those documents.
This document has three primary objectives.
The first objective is to illustrate problems and issues associated
with re-keying within the confines of the current set of IPsec
documents. For a number of reasons, re-keying in IPsec has become
problematic, such that IPsec implementations can drop packets during
re-keying. Worse, there exists the possibility that IPsec
implementations from different vendors may not be interoperable
because of the way they re-key.
The second objective of this paper is to propose methods of
performing phase 2 re-keying for IPsec implementations in such a way
as to minimise packet loss and to maximise compatibility. Again, the
primary focus for this is in virtual private networking (VPN) and
remote access (RA) applications.
The initial focus of the first two objectives is on phase 2 re-
keying; it is then extended to phase 1 re-keying. The need for this
document in each case is initially discussed, followed by a
recommendation for re-keying within the protocol framework
established by the initial version of the IPsec documents.
Finally, the third objective of the document is to provide
recommendations for the next version of the IPsec protocols. These
recommendations are made to best solve the re-keying problems in a
manner that is not possible within the constraints of the existing
IPsec documents.
The document also discusses other issues related to SA negotiation,
such as SA deletion, packet acknowledgement and the commit bit.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.