Subject: RFC 2766 on NAT-PT

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 15:56:44 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2766

        Title:	    Network Address Translation - Protocol Translation
                    (NAT-PT)
        Author(s):  G. Tsirtsis, P. Srisuresh
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       February 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 49836
	Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ngtrans-natpt-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2766.txt

This document specifies an IPv4-to-IPv6 transition mechanism, in
addition to those already specified in [TRANS]. This solution
attempts to provide transparent routing, as defined in [NAT-TERM], to
end-nodes in V6 realm trying to communicate with end-nodes in V4
realm and vice versa. This is achieved using a combination of Network
Address Translation and Protocol Translation. The scheme described
does not mandate dual-stacks (i.e., IPv4 as well as V6 protocol
support) or special purpose routing requirements (such as requiring
tunneling support) on end nodes. This scheme is based on a
combination of address translation theme as described in [NAT-TERM]
and V6/V4 protocol translation theme as described in [SIIT].

This document is a product of the Next Generation Transition Working
Group of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.