Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-idea-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:23:10 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Incorporation of IDEA Encryption Algorithm in S/MIME
	Author(s)	: S. Teiwes, P. Hartmann, D. Kuenzi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-idea-02.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 22-Feb-00
	
This memo specifies how to incorporate IDEA (International Data
Encryption Algorithm) [IDEA] into S/MIME [SMIME2, SMIME3] as an 
additional algorithm for symmetric encryption. Today, IDEA is widely 
applied in electronic business applications. But it is not
considered in the specification [SMIME3]. Encryption algorithms are 
part of an organizations' security policy. Typically, organizations
like to have their own preferences in this respect. Therefore, it is 
beneficial to have the choice between different well-known encryption 
algorithms. Especially for those organization who make already use 
of IDEA on a wide scale it is of high interest that IDEA is also 
available in S/MIME. It is the intention of this memo to provide the
OIDs and algorithms required to include IDEA in S/MIME for symmetric
content and key encryption.   
The general functional capabilities and preferences of S/MIME are 
specified by the registered list of S/MIME object identifiers (OIDs). 
This list of OIDs is maintained by the Internet Mail Consortium at 
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/oids.html>. 
The set of S/MIME functions provided by a client is expressed by the 
S/MIME capabilities attribute. This attribute contains a list of OIDs 
of supported cryptographic functions.
This draft is being discussed on the 'ietf-smime' mailing list. To
subscribe, send a message to:
[email-masked]
with the single word
subscribe
in the body of the message. There is a Web site for the mailing list 
at <http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/>

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-idea-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-idea-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-idea-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.