Subject: RFC 2779 on Instant Messaging/Presence Protocol

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:42:53 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2779

        Title:	    Instant Messaging / Presence Protocol Requirements
        Author(s):  M. Day, S. Aggarwal, G. Mohr, J. Vincent
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       February 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 47420
	Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None    
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-impp-reqts-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2779.txt

Presence and Instant Messaging have recently emerged as a new medium
of communications over the Internet.  Presence is a means for finding,
retrieving, and subscribing to changes in the presence information
(e.g. "online" or "offline") of other users. Instant messaging is a
means for sending small, simple messages that are delivered
immediately to online users.

Applications of presence and instant messaging currently use
independent, non-standard and non-interoperable protocols developed by
various vendors.  The goal of the Instant Messaging and Presence
Protocol (IMPP) Working Group is to define a standard protocol so that
independently developed applications of instant messaging and/or
presence can interoperate across the Internet. This document defines a
minimal set of requirements that IMPP must meet.

This document is a product of the Instant Messaging and Presence
Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.