Subject: RFC 2759 on Microsoft MS-CHAP-V2

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:14:41 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2759

        Title:	    Microsoft PPP CHAP Extensions, Version 2
        Author(s):  G. Zorn
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       January 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 34178
	Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pppext-mschap-v2-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2759.txt

The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) [1] provides a standard method
for transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point
links.  PPP defines an extensible Link Control Protocol and a
family of Network Control Protocols (NCPs) for establishing and
configuring different network-layer protocols.
 
This document describes version two of Microsoft's PPP CHAP dialect
(MS-CHAP-V2).  MS-CHAP-V2 is similar to, but incompatible with,
MS-CHAP version one (MS-CHAP-V1, described in [9]).  In particular,
certain protocol fields have been deleted or reused but with different
semantics.  In addition, MS-CHAP-V2 features mutual authentication.
 
The algorithms used in the generation of various MS-CHAP-V2
protocol fields are described in section 8.  Negotiation and hash
generation examples are provided in section 9.

This document is a product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.  

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.