Subject: RFC 2774 on An HTTP Extension Framework

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:12:45 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2774

        Title:	    An HTTP Extension Framework
        Author(s):  H. Nielsen, P. Leach, S. Lawrence
        Status:     Experimental
	Date:       February 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 39719
	Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None    
        I-D Tag:    draft-frystyk-http-extensions-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2774.txt

A wide range of applications have proposed various extensions of the
HTTP protocol. Current efforts span an enormous range, including
distributed authoring, collaboration, printing, and remote procedure
call mechanisms. These HTTP extensions are not coordinated, since
there has been no standard framework for defining extensions and thus,
separation of concerns. This document describes a generic extension
mechanism for HTTP, which is designed to address the tension between
private agreement and public specification and to accommodate
extension of applications using HTTP clients, servers, and proxies.
The proposal associates each extension with a globally unique
identifier, and uses HTTP header fields to carry the extension
identifier and related information between the parties involved in the
extended communication.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.