Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 06:26:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: NECP the Network Element Control Protocol
	Author(s)	: A. Cerpa, J. Elson, H. Beheshti,  A. Chankhunthod,  
                          P. Danzig,  R. Jalan, C. Neerdaels,  T. Schroeder,
                          G. Tomlinson
	Filename	: draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt
	Pages		: 38
	Date		: 23-Feb-00
	
This document describes 'NECP', a lightweight protocol for
signalling between servers and the network elements that forward
traffic to them.  It is intended for use in a wide variety of
server applications, including for origin servers, proxies, and
interception proxies.  The network element may also be a range of
devices, including so-called L4 or content-aware switches and
load-balancing routers.
NECP provides methods for network elements to learn about servers'
capabilities, availability, and hints as to which flows can and can
not be serviced.  This allows network elements to perform load
balancing across a farm of servers, redirection to interception
proxies, and cut-through of flows that can not be served by the
farm.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-cerpa-necp-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.