Subject: Protocol Action: Remote Network Monitoring Management Information Base to Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:28:24 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Remote Network Monitoring
Management Information Base' <draft-ietf-rmonmib-rmonfull-02.txt> as a
Standard. This will obsolete RFC1757, currently a Draft Standard.  This
document is the product of the Remote Network Monitoring Working Group.
This has been converted from SMIv1 to SMIv2.

The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
  This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base
  (MIB) for use with network management protocols in TCP/IP-
  based internets.  In particular, it defines objects for
  managing remote network monitoring devices.

  This memo obsoletes RFC 1757. This memo extends that
  specification by documenting the RMON MIB in SMIv2 format
  while remaining semantically identical to the existing
  SMIv1-based MIB.

  While converting to SMIv2, the OwnerString was converted into
  an SMIv2 Textual Convention, and at the same time the DESCRIPTION
  clause has been improved to allow for UTF-8 based human readable
  strings. The text has been crafted such that existing NVT ASCII
  implementations continue to be compliant with the spec.

Working Group Summary

  The working group reached consensus on this document

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Randy Presuhn and
  by Bert Wijnen.