Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mauve-rtpi-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 06:26:50 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RTP/I: An Application Level Real-Time Protocol for 
                          Distributed Interactive Media
	Author(s)	: M. Mauve, V. Hilt, C. Kuhmuench,  J. Vogel,
                          W. Geyer, W. Effelsberg
	Filename	: draft-mauve-rtpi-00.txt
	Pages		: 39
	Date		: 23-Feb-00
	
This document specifies RTP/I, an application level real-time
protocol for distributed interactive media. Typical examples of
distributed interactive media are shared whiteboards, networked
computer games and distributed virtual environments. RTP/I defines
a standardized framing for the transmission of data and provides
mechanisms that are universally needed for this media class.
Thereby RTP/I enables the development of reusable functionality and
generic services that can be employed for multiple distributed
interactive media. Examples for this kind of functionality are the
ability to record sessions, to support late coming participants,
and to provide security services. RTP/I is a protocol that follows
the ideas of application level framing and integrated layer
processing. It has been designed to be independent of the
underlying network and transport layers. To a large extend RTP/I
has been inspired by the real-time transport protocol (RTP), which
is used for continuous non-interactive media.
This document is intended to stimulate the discussion on how to
transport distributed interactive media over the Internet. There
exists an RTP/I mailing list. Instructions on how to subscribe to
this list can be found at the RTP/I homepage
(http://www.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/informatik/pi4/projects/
RTPI/index.html). Feedback on this document should be addressed to 
the RTP/I mailing list or directly to the authors.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mauve-rtpi-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mauve-rtpi-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mauve-rtpi-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.