Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pittet-gsnlan-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 06:25:56 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IP and ARP over HIPPI-6400 (GSN)
	Author(s)	: J. Pittet
	Filename	: draft-pittet-gsnlan-04.txt
	Pages		: 32
	Date		: 18-Feb-00
	
The ANSI T11.1 task force has standardized HIPPI-6400 also known as
Gigabyte System Newtwork (GSN), a physical-level, point-to-point,
full-duplex, link interface for reliable, flow-controlled,
transmission of user data at 6400 Mbit/s, per direction. A parallel
copper cable interface for distances of up to 40 m is specified in
HIPPI-6400-PH [1].  Connections to a longer-distance optical
interface are standardized in HIPPI-6400-OPT [3].
HIPPI-6400-PH [1] defines the encapsulation of IEEE 802.2 LLC PDUs
[10] and by implication, IP on GSN. Another T11.1 standard describes
the operation of HIPPI-6400 physical switches HIPPI-6400-SC [2].
T11.1 chose to leave HIPPI-6400 networking issues largely outside the
scope of their standards; this document specifies the use of HIPPI-
6400 switches as IP local area networks. This document further
specifies a method for resolving IP addresses to HIPPI-6400 hardware
addresses (HARP) and for emulating IP broadcast in a logical IP
subnet (LIS) as a direct extension of HARP. Furthermore it is the
goal of this memo to define a IP and HARP that will allow
interoperability for HIPPI-800 and HIPPI-6400 equipment both
broadcast and non-broadcast capable networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pittet-gsnlan-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pittet-gsnlan-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pittet-gsnlan-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.