Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-serverfeatures-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 06:27:00 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The SIP Supported Header
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg, H. Schulzrinne
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-serverfeatures-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 28-Feb-00
	
The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) defines mechanims that allow a
client to mandate that a server support specific extensions in order
to process a request. However, there is currently no way for a server
to determine what features are supported in a client, in order to use
those features to process the request. This capability is needed for
numerous extensions currently under development, such as provisional
response reliability and the session progress message. We also note
that there is currently no way for a client to query a server about
the features it supports. This document defines a SIP extension that
allows clients to indicate, in a request, the set of features
supported. We also define a mechanism that allows clients, through an
OPTIONS request, to determine the features supported by a server.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-serverfeatures-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-serverfeatures-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-serverfeatures-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.