Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ceuppens-mpls-optical-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:18:38 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Performance Monitoring in Photonic Networks in support
                          of MPL(ambda)S
	Author(s)	: L. Ceuppens, D. Blumenthal,  J. Drake,
                          J. Chrostowski, W. Edwards
	Filename	: draft-ceuppens-mpls-optical-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 10-Mar-00
	
Realizing the important role that photonic switches can play in 
data-centric networks, work has been going on within the IETF to 
combine the control plane of MPLS (more specifically traffic 
engineering) with the point-and-click provisioning capabilities of 
photonic switches [1]. This document outlines a proposal to expand 
this initiative to include DWDM, OADM and ATM systems. It also 
proposes to expand the work beyond simple establishment of optical 
paths and include optical performance monitoring and management. The 
combined path routing and performance information that will be 
carried and shared between these network elements will allow the 
elements or element management system (EMS) to adequately assess the 
'health' of an optical path (which can be a wavelength or fiber 
strand). The routers and/or ATM switches at the edges of the 
photonic network will then use this information to dynamically 
manage the millions of wavelengths available in the photonic layer.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ceuppens-mpls-optical-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ceuppens-mpls-optical-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ceuppens-mpls-optical-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.