Subject: RFC 2783 on Pulse-Per-Second API

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 11:39:28 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2783

        Title:	    Pulse-Per-Second API for UNIX-like Operating
                    Systems, Version 1.0
        Author(s):  J. Mogul, D. Mills, J. Brittenson, J. Stone,
                    U. Windl 
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       March 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]  
        Pages:      31 
        Characters: 61421
	Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None
        I-D Tag:    draft-mogul-pps-api-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2783.txt

RFC 1589 describes a UNIX kernel implementation model for
high-precision time-keeping.  This model is meant for use in
conjunction with the Network Time Protocol (NTP, RFC 1305), or similar
time synchronization protocols.  One aspect of this model is an
accurate interface to the high-accuracy, one pulse-per-second (PPS)
output typically available from precise time sources (such as a GPS or
GOES receiver).  RFC 1589 did not define an API for managing the PPS
facility, leaving implementors without a portable means for using PPS
sources.  This document specifies such an API. 

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.