Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-1591-reflections-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 06:27:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Reflections on the DNS, RFC 1591, and Categories of 
                          Domains
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-1591-reflections-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 02-Mar-00
	
RFC 1591,'Domain Name System Structure and Delegation' [1] laid out
the basic administrative design and principles for the allocation and
administration of domains, from the top level down.  It was written
before the introduction of the world wide web and rapid growth of the
Internet put significant market, social, and political pressure on
domain name allocations.  In recent years, 1591 has been cited by all
sides in various debates, and attempts have been made by various
bodies to update it or adjust its provisions, sometimes under
pressures that have arguably produced policies that are less well
thought out than the original.  Some of those efforts have begun from
misconceptions about the provisions of 1591 or the motivation for
those provisions.  This memo includes some thoughts about how 1591
might be interpreted and adjusted by the IANA and ICANN to better
reflect today's world while retaining characteristics and policies
that have proven to be effective in supporting Internet growth and
stability.  A variation on this memo has been submitted to ICANN as a
comment on its evolving TLD policies.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-1591-reflections-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-1591-reflections-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-1591-reflections-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.