Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-miyazaki-avt-rtp-selret-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 06:27:27 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RTP Payload Type Format to Enable Selective 
                          Retransmissions
	Author(s)	: A. Miyazaki, H. Fukushima, T. Wiebke, R. Hakenberg, 
                          C. Burmeister
	Filename	: draft-miyazaki-avt-rtp-selret-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 02-Mar-00
	
This document describes a new RTP payload type and a new RTCP packet
format to enable selective retransmissions of generic media data.
While RTP is widely used for media streaming applications over the
Internet, using it over unreliable links needs some further
modifications to achieve a good quality of the media stream at the
receiver.
This paper describes a mechanism to use the lower delay requirements
in streaming applications to make RTP more reliable, by the means of
selective retransmissions. Therefore a new RTP payload type is
defined as well as a new RTCP packet. An example algorithm to use
the new payload type fields and the new RTCP packet is introduced
and an additional section shows results of a performance evaluation.
The evaluation is done by simulating a video streaming application
over an mobile communication system.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-miyazaki-avt-rtp-selret-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-miyazaki-avt-rtp-selret-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-miyazaki-avt-rtp-selret-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.