Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-yu-asn1-pitfalls-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:18:48 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Potential Pitfalls of the Use of ASN.1 in IETF 
                          Protocols
	Author(s)	: T. Yu
	Filename	: draft-yu-asn1-pitfalls-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 10-Mar-00
	
A number of IETF protocols make use of Abstract Syntax Notation One
(ASN.1), which is a very complex language for describing abstract
types and values, in addition to several sets of encoding rules for
those types and values.  Some of these uses of ASN.1, particularly
the Kerberos protocol [RFC1510] pose implementation problems.  This
document analyzes some of the likely problems associated with the use
of ASN.1 in IETF protocols, and some possible reasons for these
problems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yu-asn1-pitfalls-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-yu-asn1-pitfalls-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-yu-asn1-pitfalls-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.