Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-paajarvi-xml-spki-cert-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 06:29:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: XML Encoding of SPKI Certificates
	Author(s)	: J. Paajarvi
	Filename	: draft-paajarvi-xml-spki-cert-00.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 08-Mar-00
	
This draft suggests a standard form for encoding SPKI certificates in
XML as opposed to the original s-expression encoding defined in
[SPKI].  The standard form is defined as an XML document type
definition (DTD).  The main emphasis is on the XML-encoding of an
authorization certificate that is the basic SPKI certificate form.
This draft provides also a brief introduction to XML and a short
discussion about the benefits of choosing XML as the certificate
encoding format.
In addition, this draft discusses the problems of automatic
processing of tags (attributes and authorizations transferred by a
certificate are called tags in SPKI) when reducing certificates.  An
example of encoding Java permissions in an SPKI certificate is given
to demonstrate the problem and, finally, a solution to this problem
is suggested.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-paajarvi-xml-spki-cert-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-paajarvi-xml-spki-cert-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-paajarvi-xml-spki-cert-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.