Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jibiki-iwata-mboned-idmf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:18:09 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Inter-Domain Multicast Forwarding (IDMF)
	Author(s)	: M. Jibiki, A. Iwata
	Filename	: draft-jibiki-iwata-mboned-idmf-00.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 13-Mar-00
	
This draft proposes a new inter-domain multicast forwarding (IDMF)
mechanism for PIM-SM multicast routing protocol. Although there have
been various inter-domain multicast routing and forwarding protocols,
they still have a limitation for handling policy routing, QoS
routing, accounting and security, which network administrators are
willing to use in their network. In order to solve this limitation,
we propose a novel approach to create an inter-domain multicast
forwarding tree (or routing table) among multiple PIM-SM domains with
logical unicast paths over which multicast packets are forwarded or
flooded. The logical unicast paths are created by either IP-in-IP
tunneling method , IP masquerade-like method, and MPLS label switched
path (LSP) method, which can easily reuse policy routing and QoS
routing for unicast routing. These logical unicast paths are
established among IDMF capable nodes or proxies, which are located
within each PIM-SM domain, either manually or by a dynamic IDMP tree
construction protocol. The IDMP capable nodes can also behave a proxy
sender of multicast packets. It can prevent a multicast receiver from
changing a RP-tree into a global SP-tree, and also can help to reduce
virtually the number of multicast sources for a particular multicast
group. This property can be effectively used for accounting, security
and scalability enhancement required for interdomain communication.
The proposed mechanism is a general framework for inter-domain
multicast forwarding and can be also used as a MSDP based forwarding
mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jibiki-iwata-mboned-idmf-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jibiki-iwata-mboned-idmf-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jibiki-iwata-mboned-idmf-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.