Subject: 47th IETF: SIP323 BOF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:09:13 -0500

SIP and H.323 Interworking BOF (sip323)

Monday, March 27 at 1300-1500
=============================

CHAIRS: Joon Maeng <[email-masked]>
        Dave Walker <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

There are two competing standards in the industry for establishing and
managing real-time interactive media communications over IP.  One is the 
proposed IETF standard, Session Initiation Protocol (RFC 2543), and the 
other is the ITU recommendation, H.323.  Although they use the same 
protocol (RTP) for media streaming, they cannot establish calls between 
them.  In the absence of any formal interoperability standards, many 
vendors are beginning to develop proprietary application gateways for 
interworking between SIP and H.323.  

In order to provide interoperability between the two standards, it is 
urgent to define a common interworking specifications for the industry.  
The recognition of the need for this interworking specification has lead 
to calls for its development from both manufacturers and service
providers, individually and through industry consortia (such as IMTC)
and other bodies concerned with interoperability (such as ETSI).

In this BOF, we are going to discuss SIP and H.323 interworking issues,
execution plans and the scope of the work.

AGENDA:

- Do we need SIP-H.323 interworking?
- Coordination with other groups?
- Scope of interworking
- Outcome of the work? 
- Suggestions?

Helpful reading:
    - draft-singh-sip-h323-00.txt 
    - SIP: Session Initiation Protocol (RFC 2543) 
    - SDP: Session Description Protocol (RFC 2327)
    - ITU recommendations: H.323, H.225.0, H.245