Subject: Protocol Action: GSTN address element extensions in e-mail services to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 07:06:01 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'GSTN address element
extensions in e-mail services' <draft-ietf-fax-fulladdr-06.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Internet Fax
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
This document defines a comprehensive syntax for incorporating E.164
telephone addresses on the Left Hand Side of electronic mail addresses.
This syntax includes all of the elements previously defined within the
standards track document RFC 2303 "Minimal PSTN address format in Internet
Mail", plus additional elements that were not included within that
document.   This document also includes the necesssary IANA considerations
so that current and future phone address elements can be properly
registered after review within the IETF.

This document has been under review in the WG and in other communities
interested in telephony address elements during the past year.    The
document is believed to be stable and complete.

In addition to its use in Internet FAX this address syntax is expected
to be useful in the Voice Profile for Internet Mail (VPIM) work, and
this work has been reviewed by a VPIM mailing list.

It is also aligned with the tel: and fax:  URLs recently approved
for Proposed Standard status.

Working Group Summary

This document has benefitted from extensive review both within the
FAX group and within other groups of interest.

Protocol Quality

Keith Moore reviewed the spec for IESG, and believes it is technically
sound.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please be aware of the typo in section 1.1

1.1 Relathiship with Internet addressing other than e-mail
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ Relationship