Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-durham-nim-req-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:18:15 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Network Information Model Requirements
	Author(s)	: W. Weiss, D. Durham, A. Westerinen
	Filename	: draft-durham-nim-req-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 10-Mar-00
	
Recently, a diverse set of technologies has been deployed to manage 
networking products. With some technologies, such as web-based 
management or proprietary text scripts, the data structures are 
defined in the absence of standards. With other technologies, such 
as MIBs, PIBs, or LDAP schemas, data structures are often defined 
many times over for the same application. For example, MIBs and LDAP 
schemas are being defined for DHCP, and for DiffServ, data 
structures are being defined in the form of MIBs, PIBs, and LDAP 
Schema. The problem is that this set of specifications often 
competes with itself and other methods that are used to manage 
devices. What is required is a common representation of data (an 
'information model') from which technology-specific data models can 
be derived to suit application-specific needs. Irrespective of the 
number of technologies that are deployed to manage networking 
devices, the industry would benefit from a more consistent 
specification of data structures across these technologies and the 
IETF would benefit from a reduction in the costs associated with 
defining these data structures.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-durham-nim-req-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-durham-nim-req-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-durham-nim-req-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.