Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-owens-te-network-survivability-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:18:39 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Network Survivability Considerations for Traffic 
                          Engineered IP Networks
	Author(s)	: K. Owens, V. Sharma, M. Oommen
	Filename	: draft-owens-te-network-survivability-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 13-Mar-00
	
Network survivability refers to the capability of the network to
maintain service continuity in the presence of faults within the network
[1]. This can be accomplished by recovering from network failures
rapidly and maintaining the required QoS for existing services after
recovery. With the increasing sophistication of network technologies,
survivability capabilities are becoming available at multiple layers,
allowing for protection and restoration to occur at any layer of the
network. This makes it important to: scrutinize the recovery features of
different network layers, understand the pros and cons of performing
recovery at each layer, and assess how the interactions between layers
impact network survivability. With these objectives in mind, this draft
examines the considerations for network survivability at different
layers of the network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-owens-te-network-survivability-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-owens-te-network-survivability-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-owens-te-network-survivability-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.