Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mansfield-curry-idmef-xmlsmi-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 06:28:54 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Intrusion Detection Message Exchange Format Comparison
                          of SMI and XML Implementations
	Author(s)	: G. Mansfield, D. Curry	
        Filename	: draft-mansfield-curry-idmef-xmlsmi-01.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 06-Mar-00
	
The purpose of the Intrusion Detection Message Exchange Format
(IDMEF) is to define data formats and exchange procedures for sharing
information of interest to intrusion detection and response systems,
and to the management systems which may need to interact with them.
The goals and requirements of the IDMEF are described in [3].
Two implementations of the IDMEF data format have been proposed: one
using the Structure of Management Information (SMI) to describe an
SNMP MIB, and the other using a Document Type Definition (DTD) to
describe XML documents.  Both representations appear to have their
good and bad traits, and deciding between them is difficult.
To arrive at an informed decision, the working group tasked the
authors to identify and analyze the pros and cons of both approaches,
and present the results in the form of an Internet-Draft.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mansfield-curry-idmef-xmlsmi-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mansfield-curry-idmef-xmlsmi-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mansfield-curry-idmef-xmlsmi-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.