Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lslutsman-sip-iin-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 06:56:33 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Framework and Requirements for the Internet 
                          Intelligent Networks (IIN)
	Author(s)	: L. Slutsman, G. Ash, F. Haerens, V. Gurbani
	Filename	: draft-lslutsman-sip-iin-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 03-Mar-00
	
This document describes a framework for an Internet Intelligent 
Network (IIN) architecture which accommodates a service logic 
execution environment on a session initiation protocol (SIP) proxy, 
but at the same time is able to support the traditional PSTN IN-based 
architecture which uses a service control point (SCP) as a service 
execution environment.  A large number of services, including 
traditional advanced 800 and other legacy services, as well as IN 
specific services (Internet Call Waiting (ICW) for ex ample) must be 
made available for the Internet. Implementation of such services 
requires a software support architecture that which addresses the 
following issues: 1)where and how to create the service logic; 2)what 
kind of software instrumentation should be used to write the service 
logic (e.g., CPL scripts, Parlay Group API's, or JAIN SIP API); and 
3)where to run and how to trigger the service logic.  Traditional 
PSTN architectures address these issues under the umbrella of IN. The 
traditional IN approach is subject to the parameters of the PSTN architectural and traditional legacy services constraints.  Though it would be preferable to avoid being locked into these constraints, it is not possible to bypass them completely (this is especially true in instances when PSTN and IN networks are inter-working).  Hence the draft proposes to support both a) 'IP-network-based IN' (e.g., use of script-based-methods such as CPL or CGI), and b) integration of traditional IN-based service logic (e.g., SCP-based) and SIP 
call control protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lslutsman-sip-iin-framework-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lslutsman-sip-iin-framework-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lslutsman-sip-iin-framework-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.