Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-boivie-sgm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 06:28:48 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Small Group Multicast
	Author(s)	: R. Boivie, N. Feldman
	Filename	: draft-boivie-sgm-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 09-Mar-00
	
Multicast has become increasingly important with the emergence of
network-based applications such as IP telephony and video
conferencing. The Internet community has done a significant amount
of work on IP multicast over the last decade [1-10] and as a
result, there are a number of multicast applications that are used
today on the Mbone, the multicast-capable virtual network that is
layered on top of (portions of) the Internet [10]. However, while
today's multicast schemes are scaleable in the sense that they can
support very large multicast groups, there are scalability issues
when a network needs to support a very large number of distinct
multicast groups. This document describes a new scheme for
multicast that complements the existing schemes. Whereas the
existing schemes can support a limited number of very large
multicast groups, the scheme described here can support a very
large number of small multicast groups.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boivie-sgm-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-boivie-sgm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-boivie-sgm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.