Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cnrp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:08:30 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Common Name Resolution Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: CNRP PROTOCOL SPECIFICATION
	Author(s)	: N. Popp, M. Mealling, M. Moseley
	Filename	: draft-ietf-cnrp-02.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 15-Mar-00
	
People often refer to things in the real world by a common
name or phrase, e.g., a trade name, company name, or a book
title. These names are sometimes easier for people to
remember  and type than URLs.  Furthermore, because of the
limited syntax of URLs, companies and individuals are
finding that the ones that might be most reasonable for
their resources are being used elsewhere and so are
unavailable.

Services are arising that offer a mapping from common names
to Internet resources (e.g., as identified by a URI). These
services often resolve common name categories such as
company names, trade names, or common keywords. Thus, such a
resolution service may operate in one or a small number of
categories or domains, or may expect the client to limit the
resolution scope to a limited number of categories or
domains. For example, the phrase 'Internet Engineering Task
Force' is a common name in the 'organization' category, as
is 'Moby Dick' in the book category.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cnrp-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-cnrp-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cnrp-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.