Subject: 47th IETF: RPERFMAN BOF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:00:56 -0500

Remote Performance Management BOF (rperfman)

Thursday, March 30 at 1530-1730
============================

CHAIR: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>  

DESCRIPTION:

Work in several IETF working groups addresses issues relevant 
to remote performance management.  These include the ippm, 
bmwg, rmonmib, and disman working groups.  The purpose of this 
BOF is threefold.  First, it will help in assessing the need 
for additional work in the area not already covered by existing 
work items.  Secondly, it will aid in determining whether there 
is sufficient interest (and resources).  Finally, it will give 
interested parties an opportunity to voice their views on what
would be an appropriate home for this work, whether under the
existing charter of an existing WG, as an extension to some
WG's charter, or as a separate working group.

AGENDA:

1) Administration
   a) introductions
   b) appointment of minute-taker
   c) circulation of sign-up sheet
   d) adjustments to the agenda
      i)   additions & removals
      ii)  time allocation

2) background
   a) definition of useful metrics and techniques
      i)   bmwg
      ii)  ippm
      iii) others
   b) types of instrumentation
      i)   passive, e.g. classic RMON
      ii)  active, e.g. disman remote operations (ping)
      iii) built-in, e.g. applmib, ARM
      iv)  others?
   c) access to instrumentation
      i)   supporting infrastructure, e.g. disman schedule, script
      ii)  generic (e.g., classic RMON, applmib)
      iii) specific (e.g. web server mib, possibly
           <draft-bierman-dsmon-mib-02.txt> rmon mib work item)
      iv)  enterprise MIBs (all of the above :-)

3) detailed presentations

4) requirements discussion
   a) issues
      i)   configuration management issues with active probes
      ii)  relating measurements obtained from various types of
           instrumentation
   b) possible deliverables
      i)   informational requirements document
      ii)  informational document on relating measurements from
           different instrumentation types
      iii) definition of (MIB?) for control of remote performance
           management tasks
      iv)  definition of information gathered by these tasks

5) possible paths forward, if interest warrants:
   a) a new WG dedicated to this topic, especially if
      identification of specific metrics and statistics
      might be relevant
   b) disman (if we focus on infrastructure to perform
      distributed monitoring)  (would be charter addition)
   c) applmib (if the focus is on application performance,
      rather than more generic possibilities)  (would be
      charter addition)
   d) RMON (would be charter addition)
   e) something else?

6) wrap-up
   a) assignment of action items
   b) reminders to presenters
   c) collection of sign-up sheet