Subject: 47th IETF: IPO BOF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:27:58 -0500

IP over Opitcal BOF (ipo)

Monday, March 27 at 1530-1730
=============================

CHAIRS: Andy Malis <[email-masked]>
        Jim Luciani <[email-masked]>  

DESCRIPTION:

The advent of switched multi-channel (WDM and DWDM) optical networks 
using OXCs (Optical Cross-connects) presents many new opportunities 
for supporting faster and more flexible provisioning of IP services. 
The keys to realizing these opportunities include:

- Providing the ability to automatically set-up and tear-down paths 
  (optical channels) across the optical network from both a user to 
  network interface and network/node to network interface

- Providing the means for IP services to leverage this capability 

- Establishing new supporting protocols and mechanisms 

- Modifying existing IP and MPLS routing and connection signaling 
  protocols 

- Providing well-defined interfaces between the IP and optical 
  networking layers

The proposed IP over Optical WG will not duplicate work already being 
done elsewhere, such as MPLS per-LSP protection switching as provided 
by LSRs, OSPF and IS-IS extensions to support constrained routing, 
extensions to PPP to support direct carriage over fiber in a SONET-less 
environment, and so on. However, the WG may generate requirements or 
other input to be considered in other WGs.

AGENDA:

1) Agenda Bashing 
2) What are the high level objectives? 
3) Presentations: 
   a) Framework document 
   b) Architectures 
      1) transparent 
      2) translucent 
      3) Opaque 
   c) Routing and signaling protocol support (includes OSPF, ISIS, BGP, 
      TE, RSVP, CR-LDP, etc...) 
   d) Label distribution flavors 
   e) IP based restoration techniques 
   f) Provisioning and management of wavelengths.

Email list information:
=======================

The email list is [email-masked].

Send subscription or unsubscription requests to: 
   [email-masked] 
with the single word subscribe or unsubscribe in the body (this is a 
majordomo server).  Do not send requests to the mailing list itself.  
Further email list info, and archives, are available at: 
   http://www.bell-labs.com/mailing-lists/ip-optical/

Contacts for requesting time on the agenda: 
===========================================

Send email to: 
  Andy Malis <[email-masked]> and 
  Jim Luciani <[email-masked]> 
to request a slot on the agenda.