Subject: RFC 2788 on Network Services Monitoring MIB

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:37:17 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2788

        Title:	    Network Services Monitoring MIB
        Author(s):  N. Freed, S. Kille
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       March 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 43906
	Obsoletes:  2248
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-madman-netsm-mib-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2788.txt

There are a wide range of networked applications for which it is
appropriate to provide SNMP monitoring of their network usage.  This
includes applications using both TCP/IP and OSI networking.  This
document defines a MIB which contains the elements common to the
monitoring of any network service application.  This information
includes a table of all monitorable network service applications, a
count of the associations (connections) to each application, and basic
information about the parameters and status of each
application-related
association.

This MIB may be used on its own for any application, and for most
simple applications this will suffice.  This MIB is also designed to
serve as a building block which can be used in conjunction with
application-specific monitoring and management.  Two examples of this
are MIBs defining additional variables for monitoring a Message
Transfer Agent (MTA) service or a Directory Service Agent (DSA)
service. It is expected that further MIBs of this nature will be
specified. 

This MIB does not attempt to provide facilities for management of the
host or hosts the network service application runs on, nor does it
provide facilities for monitoring applications that provide something
other than a network service.  Host resource and general application
monitoring is handled by either the Host Resources MIB [1] or the
application MIB [2].

This document is a product of the Mail and Directory Management
Working Group of the IETF.  

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.