Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-balakrishnan-cm-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 06:24:14 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Congestion Manager
	Author(s)	: H. Balakrishnan, S. Seshan 
	Filename	: draft-balakrishnan-cm-02.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 14-Mar-00
	
This document describes the Congestion Manager (CM), an end-system
module that (i) enables an ensemble of multiple concurrent flows
from a sender destined to the same receiver and sharing the same
congestion properties to perform proper congestion avoidance and
control, and (ii) allows applications to easily adapt to network
congestion. This CM framework integrates congestion management
across all applications and transport protocols. The CM maintains
congestion parameters (available aggregate and per-flow bandwidth,
per-receiver round-trip times, etc.) and exports an API that
enables applications to learn about network characteristics, pass
information to the CM, share congestion information with each
other, and schedule data transmissions. This document focuses on
applications and transport protocols with their own independent
per-byte or per-packet sequence number information, and does not
require modifications to the receiver protocol stack.  The
receiving application must provide feedback to the sending
application about received packets and losses, and the latter uses
the CM API to update CM state.  This document does not address
networks with reservations or service discrimination.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-balakrishnan-cm-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-balakrishnan-cm-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-balakrishnan-cm-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.