Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rsvp-state-compression-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:23:50 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Resource Reservation Setup Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: RSVP Refresh Overhead Reduction by State Compression
	Author(s)	: L. Wang, L. Zhang, A. Terzis 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rsvp-state-compression-03.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 16-Mar-00
	
As a soft-state protocol, RSVP specifies that each RSVP node sends peri-
odic RSVP messages for each existing RSVP session.  The overhead due to
such periodic state refreshes goes up linearly with the number of active
RSVP sessions.  One can reduce the overhead by using a longer refresh
period, which unfortunately leads to longer delays in re-synchronizing
RSVP state in face of packet losses.  To overcome the dilemma, this
specification describes the use of a 'state-compression' approach to
soft-state protocol refreshes.  In the absence of state changes this
compression mechanism has a constant message overhead while retaining
the soft-state nature of RSVP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rsvp-state-compression-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rsvp-state-compression-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rsvp-state-compression-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.