Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-freed-charset-regist-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 06:31:20 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IANA Charset Registration Procedures
	Author(s)	: N. Freed, J. Postel
	Filename	: draft-freed-charset-regist-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 07-Mar-00
	
MIME [RFC-2045, RFC-2046, RFC-2047, RFC-2184] and various
other modern Internet protocols are capable of using many
different charsets. This in turn means that the ability to
label different charsets is essential. This registration
procedure exists solely to associate a specific name or names
with a given charset and to give an indication of whether or
not a given charset can be used in MIME text objects. In
particular, the general applicability and appropriateness of a
given registered charset to a particular application is a
protocol issue, not a registration issue, and is not dealt
with by this registration procedure.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freed-charset-regist-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-freed-charset-regist-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-freed-charset-regist-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.