Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-sandiick-flip-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 06:57:03 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Fast LIveness Protocol (FLIP)
	Author(s)	: H. Sandick,  M. Squire, B. Cain,
                          I. Duncan, B. Haberman,
	Filename	: draft-sandiick-flip-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 03-Mar-00
	
Networks and network applications must be robust and reliable.  For
many applications and services, such as packetized voice, correcting a
failure must be almost instantaneous.  The first step in correcting a
failure is, of course, detecting that it occurred.  IP routing
protocols and signaling protocols as well as many application layer
protocols incorporate their own keepalive mechanisms to detect
failures.  Typically, these protocols detect failures on the order of
seconds or tens of seconds.  While there are some physical and link
layer technologies that inherently supply link outage detection, not
all link layers do this.  In order to provide for fast failure
detection over any type of lower layer, an IP layer fast keepalive
protocol can be used.  This draft describes such a protocol for quickly
detecting when a network layer interface of a peer has failed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sandiick-flip-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-sandiick-flip-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-sandiick-flip-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.