Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-duerst-i18n-norm-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 06:17:26 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Character Normalization in ITEF Protocols
	Author(s)	: M. Duerst, M. Davis
	Filename	: draft-duerst-i18n-norm-03.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 13-Mar-00
	
The Universal Character Set (UCS) [ISO10646, Unicode] covers a very wide
repertoire of characters. The IETF, in [RFC 2277], requires that future IETF protocols support UTF-8 [RFC 2279], an ASCII-compatible encoding of UCS. The wide range of characters included in the UCS has lead to some cases of duplicate encodings. This document proposes that in IETF protocols, the class of duplicates called canonical equivalents be dealt with by using Early Uniform Normalization according to Unicode Normalization Form C, Canonical Composition [UTR15]. This document describes both Early Uniform Normalization and Normalization Form C.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duerst-i18n-norm-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-duerst-i18n-norm-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-duerst-i18n-norm-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.