Subject: 47th IETF: VOMPLS BOF

From: Marcia Beaulieu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:53:35 -0500

Voice over IP over MPLS BOF (vompls)

Thursday, March 30 at 1530-1730
===============================

CHAIRS: Antti Kankkunen <[email-masked]>  
        Gerald R. Ash <[email-masked]> 

DESCRIPTION:

Voice over IP (VoIP) and Multi Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) are two
important emerging technologies.

Carrying voice over IP networks will potentially enable service providers
to use a single infrastructure for all services as the IP based data 
services are beginning to dominate the traffic volumes in public networks.  
Thus, VoIP is currently generating a lot of interest among the user and 
provider community.

Multi-Protocol Label Switching, or MPLS, is an emerging technology that is
rapidly being adopted, particularly in the service provider markets.
Currently most attention on MPLS is focused on Internet Traffic Engineering.  
The motivation for Voice over MPLS is to leverage the new features being 
introduced in MPLS to support voice-over-packet service.

The initial purpose of Voice over MPLS BOF and subsequent effort is to
define a framework that provides a common reference point for the operation
of voice over MPLS and to identify any needed related standardization
work.  The objectives of the effort include:

  * Defining an overall framework for the operation of Voice over MPLS,

  * Defining the use of MPLS label-switched-paths (LSPs) as a bearer 
    capability for packetized voice,

  * Identifying any resulting new requirements being placed on voice 
    call control protocols or MPLS signaling protocols, and

  * Defining MPLS specific efficient transport mechanisms for 
    packetized-voice possibly using link level or LSP level header 
    compression or suppression mechanisms.

The intent is to support all appropriate voice call control protocols
(e.g., MEGACO, MGCP, and SIP) and MPLS signaling protocols (RSVP and LDP).
Note that the terms Voice over IP over MPLS and Voice over MPLS are used
interchangeably.

The purpose of the BOF will be to gauge interest in this effort, to see 
if there is consensus on moving forward, and to reach consensus on the
direction to be followed.

Attendees should  read the following documents in advance of the BOF:

   *  Voice over MPLS Framework, draft-kankkunen-vompls-fw-00.txt

AGENDA:

   *  BOF Objectives (chair)
   *  Agenda bashing (chair)
   *  Definition of Voice over MPLS
   *  Goals of Voice over MPLS
      (includes non-goals)
   *  Framework proposal draft
   *  Open discussion
   *  Other topics (?)
   *  Next steps
      (with discussion)
   *  Closing

Mailing list:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To subscribe: [email-masked]
In body: subscribe (unsubscribe)
Archive: http://sonic.sparklist.com/scripts/lyris.pl?enter=vompls