Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-hash-revised-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 06:28:35 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Fixing IKE Phase 1 & 2 Authentication HASH
	Author(s)	: T. Kivinen
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-hash-revised-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 08-Mar-00
	
This document defines new method of calculating the authentication HASH
of the IKE [RFC-2409] protocol. It fixes known problems with the IKE.
The way the HASH is currently defined in the [RFC-2409] does not authen-
ticate the generic ISAKMP [RFC-2408] header, nor does it authenticate
any extra payloads inside phase 1 packets. This causes a security prob-
lem when using extra payloads as already defined in the IKE and DOI
[RFC-2407] (vendor ID payload, INITIAL-CONTACT notification etc).  This
document defines three methods how to negotiate the new HASH method. All
methods tries to be backward compatible as much as possible. Only one of
those methods must be selected by the working group and all the other
should be removed from this document.  There is also suggestion how to
fix the Phase 2 authentication hashes so that they will also authenti-
cate the generic ISAKMP header.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-hash-revised-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-hash-revised-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-hash-revised-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.