Subject: Protocol Action: Generic Security Service API Version 2 : Java bindings to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 07:50:25 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Generic Security Service API
Version 2 : Java bindings' <draft-ietf-cat-gssv2-javabind-05.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Common
Authentication Technology Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Schiller and Marcus Leech.

Technical Summary
 
The GSSAPI provides uniform access to security services layered on top
of a variety of underlying cryptographic mechanisms. The GSSAPI and a
set of "C" Language bindings already exist. This document provides for
the Java language bindings for Java programmers to make use of GSSAPI
facilities.

Working Group Summary

The working group supports this document. Significant discussion was
had about various alternatives to this implementation. This document
represents the consensus view reached after weighing the benefits and
costs of the various alternatives.

Protocol Quality

Jeff Schiller has reviewed this document for the IESG and found no
flaws in the protocol. It was also reviewed from the standpoint of how
it would fit into the Java platform architecture.