Subject: Document Action: The 'text/html' Media Type to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 17:14:26 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The 'text/html' Media Type'
<draft-connolly-text-html-02.txt> as an Informational RFC. This
document supersedes the current MIME registration of the text/html
content-type, which references a now-obsolete version of the HTML
specification.

This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Keith Moore and Patrik
Faltstrom.
 
In the same action, the IESG reclassified the following RFCs 
as Historic:

RFC1866 Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0
RFC1867 Form-based File Upload in HTML
RFC1942 HTML Tables
RFC1980 A Proposed Extension to HTML: Client-Side Image Maps
RFC2070 Internationalization of the Hypertext Markup Language

The listed RFCs are obsolete versions of the HTML specification.  The
current HTML specification which is maintained by the World Wide Web
consortium should be used for new implementations.

Technical Summary

This document updates the MIME media-type registration for text/html
to point to the latest HTML specifications from the World Wide Web
Consortium.  The previous registration referred to RFC 1886, which
has since been obsoleted by W3C documents.

Since the other RFCs listed above have also been obsoleted, they are
being reclassified as Historic documents to make it clear that they
are no longer the current specifications for HTML and its extensions.

Working Group Summary

This action was not initiated by a working group, but it has been
reviewed and commented on by interested members of the community.

Protocol Quality

Keith Moore reviewed the document for IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

The IESG requests that the two occurances of MUST be lowercased prior 
to publication.