Subject: Recharter: Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 07:52:41 -0400

The IESG is considering rechartering the AAA working group, below is the 
proposed revised charter.  Please send any comments to [email-masked]

Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA)

Description of Working Group:

The Authentication, Authorization and Accounting Working Group
focused on the development of requirements for Authentication,
Authorization and Accounting as applied to network access.
Requirements were gathered from NASREQ, MOBILE IP, and ROAMOPS
Working Groups as well as TIA 45.6.

This incarnation of the AAA Working Group will focus on selection 
of a AAA protocol to be developed. We will solicit submission of 
protocols and compliance descriptions, will evaluate them against 
the requirements and will decide whether one of them meets the 
requirements sufficiently to become the basis of the subsequent 
design phase, or whether it is necessary to design one from scratch.

In this process, it is to be understood that the IETF does not 
function as a rubber stamp. A protocol, if accepted, will likely be 
changed significantly during the process of development.

Authors of candidate protocols must be willing to give up change 
control to the IETF, so as to allow modification of the candidate 
protocols to AAA WG needs.

The immediate goals of the AAA working group are to:

- Request submission of candidate protocols and compliance 
  descriptions.

- Publish a draft comparing candidate protocols against
  the requirements.

- Decide whether any of the candidate protocols meet the
  requirements sufficiently to become the basis of the
  subsequent design phase, or whether it is necessary to
  design a new protocol.