Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-just-ldapv3-rescodes-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 06:47:20 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: LDAPv3 Result Codes: Definitions and Appropriate Use
	Author(s)	: M. Just, K. Leclair, J. Sermersheim,  M. Smith
	Filename	: draft-just-ldapv3-rescodes-02.txt
	Pages		: 29
	Date		: 14-Apr-00
	
The purpose of this document is to describe, in some detail, the
meaning and use of the result codes used with the LDAPv3 protocol.
Of particular importance are the error codes, which represent the
majority of the result codes.  This document provides definitions for
each result code, and outlines the expected behaviour of the various
operations with respect to how result codes and in particular, error
conditions should be handled and which specific error code should be
returned.

The LDAPv3 RFC [RFC2251] states that  'An LDAP server MUST act in
accordance with the X.500(1993) series of ITU recommendations when
providing the service. However, it is not required that an LDAP
server make use of any X.500 protocols in providing this service,
e.g. LDAP can be mapped onto any other directory system so long as
the X.500 data and service model as used in LDAP is not violated in
the LDAP interface.' The goal of this document is to transfer the
applicable information from X.511 to this document, and expand upon
it for LDAP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-just-ldapv3-rescodes-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-just-ldapv3-rescodes-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-just-ldapv3-rescodes-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.