Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jiang-msa-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 06:39:55 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Seamless IP Multicast Receiver Mobility Support
	Author(s)	: J. Wu
	Filename	: draft-jiang-msa-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 20-Apr-00
	
This document specifies protocol enhancements that allow seamless
IP multicast datagram delivery to mobile nodes in the Internet. In
order to receive IP multicast datagrams, mobile nodes are not
required to be identified by their unicast IP addresses. For
unicast communication using Mobile IP, each mobile node needs to
have a unicast home address and a care-of address. Following a
handover to another IP subnet, such a mobile node is able to
receive IP multicast traffic after exchanging IGMP messages with
the multicast routers on the currently visiting network. However,
in the worst case, it takes an unreasonably long time (especially
with respect to streaming media) to resume receiving multicast IP
traffic in the visiting network.
This draft specifies a Mobility Support Agent (MSA) protocol which
provides a mechanism to help ensure seamless reception of IP
multicast traffic despite a mobile node handover. This is possible
because in advance of its handover, a mobile node pre-registers
with the MSA on the next network to be visited. The MSA acts as a
proxy for this mobile node and is thus able to set up all the
necessary states for the seamless delivery of multicast traffic to
this mobile node.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jiang-msa-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jiang-msa-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jiang-msa-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.