Subject: RFC 2813 on Internet Relay Chat: Server Protocol

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:34:25 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2813

        Title:	    Internet Relay Chat: Server Protocol
        Author(s):  C. Kalt
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       April 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 56681
        Updates:    RFC 1459

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2813.txt

While based on the client-server model, the IRC (Internet Relay
Chat) protocol allows servers to connect to each other effectively
forming a network.
 
This document defines the protocol used by servers to talk to each
other.  It was originally a superset of the client protocol but has
evolved differently.
 
First formally documented in May 1993 as part of RFC 1459 [IRC],
most of the changes brought since then can be found in this document
as development was focused on making the protocol scale better.
Better scalability has allowed existing world-wide networks to keep
growing and reach sizes which defy the old specification.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.