Subject: RFC 2811 on Internet Relay Chat: Channel Management

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:30:11 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2811

        Title:	    Internet Relay Chat: Channel Management
        Author(s):  C. Kalt
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       April 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 40788
        Updates:    RFC 1459

        I-D Tag:    draft-kalt-irc-chan-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2811.txt

One of the most notable characteristics of the IRC (Internet Relay
Chat) protocol is to allow for users to be grouped in forums, called
channels, providing a mean for multiple users to communicate
together.
 
There was originally a unique type of channels, but with the
years, new types appeared either as a response to a need, or for
experimental purposes.
 
This document specifies how channels, their characteristics and
properties are managed by IRC servers.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.