Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-xie-stewart-sigtran-ddp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 06:45:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Data Distribution Protocol (DDP)
	Author(s)	: R. Stewart, Q. Xie
	Filename	: draft-xie-stewart-sigtran-ddp-01.txt
	Pages		: 47
	Date		: 27-Apr-00
	
Data Distribution Protocol (DDP) provides a fault tolerant data
transfer mechanism over IP networks. DDP uses a name-based addressing
model which isolates a logical communication endpoint from its IP
address(es), thus effectively eliminating the binding between the
communication endpoint and its physical IP address(es) which normally
constitutes a single point of failure.

In addition, DDP defines each logical communication destination as a
named group, providing full transparent support for server-pooling and
load sharing. It also allows dynamic system scalability - members of a
server pool can be added or removed at any time without interrupting
the service.

DDP is designed to take full advantage of the network level redundancy
provided by the Simple Transmission Control Protocol (SCTP) [1]. But
it can also use other transport protocol like TCP.

Internally, DDP is made up of two parts, namely the Data Distribution
Control Part (DDCP) and the Endpoint Name Resolution Part (ENRP).
DDCP provides the user interface for name to address translation, load
sharing management, and fault management.  ENRP defines the fault
tolerant name translation service.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xie-stewart-sigtran-ddp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-xie-stewart-sigtran-ddp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-xie-stewart-sigtran-ddp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.