Subject: WG Review: Internet Message Access Protocol Extension (imapext)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:24:04 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Internet Message Access Protocol Extension (imapext)
----------------------------------------------------
 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Applications Area Advisor: 
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
     Archive:           http://www.imc.org/ietf-imapext/

Description of Working Group:
 
The IETF IMAP extensions Working Group shall revise and publish
standards-track extensions to IMAP4 for performing the following
functions:

1. Sorting, threading, and viewing (to be dealt with by one or more 
   mechanisms)

2. Access Control Lists

3. Message-level annotations

Revising the base IMAP4rev1 specification is out of the scope of this
WG. However, this WG will ensure that whatever extensions it does
propose do not worsen any existing problems in the base specification
of IMAP, nor do they make any such problems harder to address in the
future.