Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-calhoun-diameter-strong-crypto-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 06:40:48 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DIAMETER Strong Security Extension
	Author(s)	: P. Calhoun,  W. Bulley, S. Farrell
	Filename	: draft-calhoun-diameter-strong-crypto-03.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 20-Apr-00
	
The DIAMETER base protocol defines message integrity and AVP
encryption using symmetric transforms to secure the communication
between two DIAMETER nodes. The base protocol also defines a DIAMETER
proxy server, that forwards requests to other servers when it detects
that a given request cannot be satisfied locally.
The ROAMOPS Working Group has defined a requirement that allows for
the DIAMETER servers communicating through the proxy to be able to
provide for end-to-end AVP integrity and confidentiality, making it
difficult for the proxy to be able to modify, and/or be able to view
sensitive information, within the message. The Mobile-IP and NASREQ
Working Groups have stated that strong authentication is a
requirement for AAA data, such as accounting records, for the
purposes of non-repudiation.
This DIAMETER extension specifies how strong AVP authentication,
integrity and encryption can be done using asymmetric transforms, by
encapsulating Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) data into DIAMETER
AVPs. The CMS data can also be used to carry X.509 certificates.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-strong-crypto-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-calhoun-diameter-strong-crypto-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-diameter-strong-crypto-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.