Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-westberg-loadcntr-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 06:43:41 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Load control of real-time traffic
	Author(s)	: L. Westberg, Z. Turanyi, D. Partain
	Filename	: draft-westberg-loadcntr-03.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 19-Apr-00
	
The purpose of this memo is to present a new resource allocation
scheme for DiffServ (DS) networks, called Load Control.  The main
purpose of Load Control is to provide a simple and scalable solution
to the resource provisioning problem.
Load Control addresses two particular issues:
1. Measurement-based access control, whereby a probe packet is
sent along the forwarding path in a network to determine
whether a flow can be admitted based upon the current
congestion state of the network
2. A lightweight reservation of a certain amount of network
resources.
Load Control uses two-bit markers in packet headers to carry load
information from core routers to edge devices. The scheme provides
the capability of controlling the traffic load in the network without
requiring signaling or any per-flow processing in the core routers.
The complexity of Load Control is kept to a minimum to make
implementation simple.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-westberg-loadcntr-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-westberg-loadcntr-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-westberg-loadcntr-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.