Subject: RFC 2810 on Internet Relay Chat: Architecture

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 16:27:53 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2810

        Title:	    Internet Relay Chat: Architecture
        Author(s):  C. Kalt
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       April 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 19087
        Updates:    RFC 1459

        I-D Tag:    draft-kalt-irc-arch-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2810.txt

The IRC (Internet Relay Chat) protocol is for use with text based
conferencing. It has been developed since 1989 when it was originally
implemented as a mean for users on a BBS to chat amongst themselves.
 
First formally documented in May 1993 by RFC 1459 [IRC], the
protocol has kept evolving. This document is an update describing the
architecture of the current IRC protocol and the role of its
different components.  Other documents describe in detail the
protocol used between the various components defined here.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.