Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-arnold-scmp-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:11:30 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Simple Commerce Messaging Protocol (SCMP)
                          Version 1 Message Specification
	Author(s)	: T. Arnold, J. Eaton
	Filename	: draft-arnold-scmp-05.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 11-Apr-00
	
The Simple Commerce Messaging Protocol (SCMP) is a general-purpose 
electronic commerce message protocol for secure, real-time 
communication of a set of data from a sending agent's application 
to a receiving agent's server. Additionally the response by the 
receiving agent's server to the sending agent is the reply from the 
request represented by the set of data in the message's payload. The 
intent of this protocol is to define a method where trading partners can 
perform on-line business requests in an environment where the sending 
partner is fully authenticated, and the message cannot be repudiated.
The taxonomy of the SCMP message payload is not in the scope of this 
document. The SCMP protocol does not specify payload definitions or 
how trading partners are expected to process the payload, beyond basic 
server-level functions related to processing SCMP headers. This intent 
is to permit trading partners the flexibility to implement either a 
standard commerce message format as in ANSI-X12 Electronic Data 
Interchange (EDI) or some other non-standard payload format. This 
document does give an example implementation of a payload format
based on [XML]. 
The only requirement on the message payload is that it be prepared
as specified in [MIME].
In this manner, SCMP fundamentally differs from many emerging  
commerce message protocols. Beyond specifying the method for
encryption, authentication and handling, these other protocols 
specify the contents of the message and details how a server is to 
process and respond to a given message payload.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-arnold-scmp-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-arnold-scmp-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-arnold-scmp-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.