Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-skreddy-enp-protocol-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 06:36:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Event Notification Protocol - ENP
	Author(s)	: S. Reddy
	Filename	: draft-skreddy-enp-protocol-00.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 19-May-00
	
As  the  complexity  of  distributed  applications   increases,   an
increasing amount of processing is done using distributed processes,
which typically execute without the direct  supervision  of  an  end
user.  The  user  must poll these processes periodically to check if
they are completed successfully or  not.  This  polling  results  in
unnecessary  wastage  of  network  bandwidth  as  well  as computing
resources. The user generally cannot  see  intermediate  results  or
progress reports for long running processes, they must wait till the
process is completely finished before viewing the results.
Thus the problem of monitoring  events  is  central  in  distributed
applications  and protocols. A repeated need in such applications is
receive notifications when a  resource  property  value  changes  or
event  state  changes.  Current database systems provides mechanisms
like  constraints,  triggers  and  active  database   rules.   These
facilities  provides  an  automated  means  to  ensure  the database
integrity or perform specific action when  data  changes.  Need  for
such kind of requirement is fundamental is network applications

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-skreddy-enp-protocol-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-skreddy-enp-protocol-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-skreddy-enp-protocol-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.