Subject: RFC 2835 on IP and ARP over HIPPI-6400 (GSN)

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 09:56:33 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2835

        Title:	    IP and ARP over HIPPI-6400 (GSN)
        Author(s):  J.-M. Pittet
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      33
        Characters: 74178
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-pittet-gsnlan-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2835.txt

The ANSI T11.1 task force has standardized HIPPI-6400 also known as
Gigabyte System Network (GSN), a physical-level, point-to-point,
full-duplex, link interface for reliable, flow-controlled,
transmission of user data at 6400 Mbit/s, per direction. A parallel
copper cable interface for distances of up to 40 m is specified in
HIPPI-6400-PH [1].  Connections to a longer-distance optical
interface are standardized in HIPPI-6400-OPT [3].
 
HIPPI-6400-PH [1] defines the encapsulation of IEEE 802.2 LLC PDUs
[10] and by implication, IP on GSN. Another T11.1 standard describes
the operation of HIPPI-6400 physical switches HIPPI-6400-SC [2].
T11.1 chose to leave HIPPI-6400 networking issues largely outside the
scope of their standards; this document specifies the use of
HIPPI-6400 switches as IP local area networks. This document further
specifies a method for resolving IP addresses to HIPPI-6400 hardware
addresses (HARP) and for emulating IP broadcast in a logical IP subnet
(LIS) as a direct extension of HARP. Furthermore it is the goal of
this memo to define a IP and HARP that will allow interoperability for
HIPPI-800 and HIPPI-6400 equipment both broadcast and non-broadcast
capable networks.

This document is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.