Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vshah-ddos-smurf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 06:43:11 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Preventing DDoS Smurf Attacks
	Author(s)	: V. Shah
	Filename	: draft-vshah-ddos-smurf-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 01-May-00
	
Host Requirements RFC1122 states that an ICMP Echo Request destined
to an IP broadcast or IP multicast address MAY be silently
discarded. By discarding all broadcast ICMP Echo Requests, the end
user may lose valuable diagnostic capability. By forwarding some
broadcast ICMP Echo Requests, the host may be used as launching
platform for Smurf Attacks[1]. This draft describes a solution for
selectively dropping broadcast ICMP Echo Requests based on whether
the source address is within the network or from outside the
network. Any host implementing this solution ensures that it does
not participate in a Smurf attack irrespective of whether responding
to broadcast ICMP Echo Requests is enabled or disabled on it.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vshah-ddos-smurf-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vshah-ddos-smurf-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vshah-ddos-smurf-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.