Subject: Protocol Action: DNS Extensions to Support IP Version 6 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:14:38 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DNS Extensions to Support IP
Version 6' <draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-08.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document defines changes to the Domain Name System to support
renumberable and aggregatable IPv6 addressing.  The changes include a
new resource record type (called A6) to store an IPv6 address in a
manner that expedites network renumbering and updated definitions of
existing query types that return Internet addresses as part of
additional section processing. A6 records can hold all or part of an
address, with pointers to other DNS names holding the remaining part
of the address.

For lookups keyed on IPv6 addresses (often called reverse lookups),
this document defines a new zone structure that allows a zone to be
used without modification for parallel copies of an address space (as
for a multihomed provider or site) and across network renumbering
events.

Working Group Summary

This document was discussed extensively in both the IPNG and DNSIND
working groups. Although concern has been raised that use of the A6
records will increase the demands placed on the DNS when resolving
names to addresses, the goal of easing site renumbering was deemed
important and the mechanism described in this document was viewed as
the best approach.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten and Erik
Nordmark.