Subject: RFC 2817 on HTTP Upgrade to TLS

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:25:23 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2817

        Title:	    Upgrading to TLS Within HTTP/1.1
        Author(s):  R. Khare, S. Lawrence
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 27598
        Updates:    RFC 2616

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2817.txt

This memo explains how to use the Upgrade mechanism in HTTP/1.1 to
initiate Transport Layer Security (TLS) over an existing TCP
connection. This allows unsecured and secured HTTP traffic to share
the same well known port (in this case, http: at 80 rather than
https: at 443). It also enables "virtual hosting", so a single HTTP
+ TLS server can disambiguate traffic intended for several hostnames
at a single IP address.
 
Since HTTP/1.1 [1] defines Upgrade as a hop-by-hop mechanism, this
memo also documents the HTTP CONNECT method for establishing
end-to-end tunnels across HTTP proxies. Finally, this memo
establishes new IANA registries for public HTTP status codes, as
well as public or private Upgrade product tokens.
 
This memo does NOT affect the current definition of the \'https' URI
scheme, which already defines a separate namespace
(http://example.org/ and https://example.org/ are not equivalent).

This document is a product of the Transport Layer Security Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.