Subject: RFC 2818 on HTTP Over TLS

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:27:49 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2818

        Title:	    HTTP Over TLS
        Author(s):  E. Rescorla
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 15170
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2818.txt

This memo describes how to use TLS to secure HTTP connections over
the Internet. Current practice is to layer HTTP over SSL (the
predecessor to TLS), distinguishing secured traffic from insecure
traffic by the use of a different server port. This document documents
that practice using TLS. A companion document describes a method for
using HTTP/TLS over the same port as normal HTTP [RFC2817].

This document is a product of the Transport Layer Security Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.