Subject: Protocol Action: Remote Network Monitoring MIB Protocol Identifier Reference to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:12:39 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Remote Network Monitoring MIB
Protocol Identifier Reference' <draft-ietf-rmonmib-rmonprot-ref-01.txt>
as a Proposed Standard. This document OBSOLETES RFC2074

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of Remote Network
Monitoring MIB Protocol Identifier Macros
<draft-ietf-rmonmib-rmonprot-mac-02.txt> as an Informational RFC.

These documents are the product of the Remote Network Monitoring
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy
Bush.

Technical Summary
 
  The first version of the RMON Protocol Identifiers Document (RFC 2074)
  has been split into a standards-track Reference portion, the 'Remote
  Network Monitoring MIB Protocol Identifier Reference' document,
  and an Informational portion, 'The RMON Protocol Identifier Macros'
  document, which now contains the non-normative portion of the
  original specification in RFC 2074.

  The memo 'Remote Network Monitoring MIB Protocol Identifier Reference'
  defines a notation describing protocol layers in a protocol encapsulation,
  specifically for use in encoding INDEX values for theprotocolDirTable,
  found in the RMON-2 MIB (RFC 2021).  The definitions for the standard
  protocol directory base layer identifiers are also included. This document
  obsoletes RFC 2074.

  The memo 'Remote Network Monitoring MIB Protocol Identifier Macros'
  contains various protocol identifier examples, which can be used to
  produce valid protocolDirTable INDEX encodings, as defined by the
  Remote Network Monitoring MIB Version 2 (RFC  2021) and the RMON
  Protocol Identifier Reference.This document contains protocol identifier
  macros for well-known protocols.  A conformant implementation of the

  RMON-2 MIB (RFC 2021) can be accomplished without the use of these
  protocol identifiers, and accordingly, this document does not specify
  any IETF standard.  It is published to encourage better interoperability
  between RMON-2 agent implementations, by providing a great deal of
  RMON related protocol information in one document.

Working Group Summary

  The WG reached consensus on these documents.

Protocol Quality

  These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Randy Presuhn and
  Bert Wijnen.

Note to RFC Editor:

for document: draft-ietf-rmonmib-rmonprot-ref-01.txt

In the abstract, pls add a 3rd para as follows:

    This document obsoletes RFC 2074.

Add an appendix as follows:

Appendix A: Changes since RFC 2074

The differences between RFC 2074 and this document are:

-  RFC 2074 has been split into a reference document
   (this document) on the standards track and an informational
   document [RMONPROT_MAC], in order to remove most
   protocol identifier macros out of the standards track document.
-  Administrative updates; added an author, added copyrights,
   updated SNMP framework boilerplate;
-  Updated overview section.
-  Section 3.1 MUST, SHOULD text added per template
-  Section 3.1 moved to section 5.1, added some new terms
   - parent protocol
   - child protocol
   - protocol encapsulation tree
-  Added section 5.3 about splitting into 2 documents:

   "Relationship to the RMON Protocol Identifier Macros Document"
-  Added section 5.4 "Relationship to the ATM-RMON MIB"
-  rewrote section 4.2 "Protocol Identifier Macro Format"
   But no semantic changes were made; The PI macro syntax
   is now specified in greater detail using BNF notation.
-  Section 4.2.3.1 "Mapping of the 'countsFragments(0)' BIT"
    - this section was clarified to allow multiple
      protocolDirParameters octets in a given PI string
      to set the 'countsFragments' bit. The RFC version
      says just one octet can set this BIT. It is a
      useful feature to identify fragmentation at
      multiple layers, and most RMON-2 agents were
      already doing this, so the WG agreed to this
      clarification.
-  Added section 7.3 "Encapsualtion Layers"
-  This document ends after the base layer encapsulation
   definitions (through RFC section 5.2)
-  Added Intellectual Property section
-  Moved RFC 2074 section 5.3
   "L3: Children of Base Protocol Identifiers"
   through end of RFC to [RMONPROT_MAC] document
   in which also many new protocol identifier macros were
   added for application protocols and non-IP protocol
   stacks.
-  Acknowledgements section has been updated