Subject: RFC 2839 on Internet Kermit Service

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 17:21:14 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2839

        Title:	    Internet Kermit Service
        Author(s):  F. da Cruz, J. Altman
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 42775
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-columbia-kermit-service-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2839.txt

This document describes a new file transfer service for the Internet
based on Telnet Protocol for option negotiation and Kermit Protocol
for file transfer and management.  The Internet Kermit Service
provides access to both authenticated and anonymous users.  The use of
Kermit protocol over a Telnet connection provides several advantages
over FTP, including easy traversal of firewalls, transfers over
multiple transports, and security via a combination of supported
Telnet authentication and encryption option negotiations, plus
significant functional benefits.  While this document describes a new
service for the Internet, the clients for this service already exist
on most platforms in the form of Telnet clients that support the
Kermit file transfer protocol.  These clients are available not only
from Columbia University's Kermit Project but also numerous third
parties. 

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.