Subject: Protocol Action: MEGACO Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:22:36 -0400

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Proposed
Standards:

o MEGACO Protocol <draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-08.txt> 
o Megaco Errata <draft-ietf-megaco-errata-03.txt>

These documents are the product of the Media Gateway Control Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary
 
  These documents define the protocols used between elements of a physically
  decomposed multimedia gateway.  There are no functional differences from a
  system view between a decomposed gateway, with distributed sub- components
  potentially on more than one physical device, and a monolithic gateway
  such as described in H.246. These documents do not define how gateways,
  multipoint control units or integrated voice response units (IVRs) work.
  Instead it creates a general framework that is suitable for these
  applications.

  Packet network interfaces may include IP, ATM or possibly others.  The
  interfaces will support a variety of SCN signaling systems, including tone
  signaling, ISDN, ISUP, QSIG, and GSM. National variants of these signaling
  systems will be supported where applicable.

  The protocol definition in these document will also be published as ITU
  Recommendation H.248.

  The errata  document will be folded into the base document during the ITU
  publication process and the IETF will evaluate the result as a Proposed
  Standard to replace these documents.

Working Group Summary

  There was a great deal of discussion on specific aspects of these
  documents in both the IETF megaco and ITU-T forums.  These resulting
  documents represent the consensus of the groups.

Protocol Quality

  These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner