Subject: RFC 2823 on PPP SDL on SONET/SDH

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 10:30:10 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2823

        Title:	    PPP over Simple Data Link (SDL) using SONET/SDH
                    with ATM-like framing
        Author(s):  J. Carlson, P. Langner, E. Hernandez-Valencia,
                    J. Manchester 
        Status:     Experimental
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]  
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 60049
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pppext-sdl-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2823.txt

The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) [1] provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links, and
RFCs 1662 [2] and 2615 [3] provide a means to carry PPP over
Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) [4] and Synchronous Digital
Hierarchy (SDH) [5] circuits.  This document extends these standards
to include a new encapsulation for PPP called Simple Data Link (SDL)
[6].  SDL provides a very low overhead alternative to HDLC-like
encapsulation, and can also be used on SONET/SDH links.

This document is a product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.