Subject: Protocol Action: Multiprotocol Extensions for BGP-4 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:07:39 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Multiprotocol Extensions for
BGP-4' <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-multiprotocol-v2-05.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are David Oran and Rob
Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
Currently BGP-4 is capable of carrying routing information
only for IPv4. This document defines extensions to BGP-4 to
enable it to carry routing information for multiple Network Layer
protocols (e.g., IPv6, IPX, etc...). The extensions are backward
compatible - a router that supports the extensions can interoperate
with a router that doesn't support the extensions.

Working Group Summary

When this document was initially introduced there was a competing proposal

which resulted much discussion. However, at this point in time there
is no significant dissent and working group supports the advancement
of this document.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed by Rob Coltun for the IESG.
There are multiple implementations of this draft.