Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-tsiang-srp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 06:35:58 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Cisco SRP MAC Layer Protocol
	Author(s)	: D. Tsiang, G. Suwala
	Filename	: draft-tsiang-srp-02.txt
	Pages		: 53
	Date		: 08-May-00
	
This document specifies the MAC layer protocol, 'Spatial Reuse
Protocol' (SRP) for use with ring based media. This is a second
version of the protocol (V2).
The primary requirements for SRP are as follows:
- Efficient use of bandwidth using:
spatial reuse of bandwidth
local reuse of bandwidth
minimal protocol overhead
- Support for priority traffic
- Scalability across a large number of nodes or stations attached to
a ring
- 'Plug and play' design without a software based station management
transfer (SMT) protocol or ring master negotiation as seen in other
ring based MAC protocols [1][2]
- Fairness among nodes using the ring
- Support for ring based redundancy (error detection, ring wrap,
etc.) similar to that found in SONET BLSR specifications.
- Independence of physical layer (layer 1) media type.
This document defines the terminology used with SRP, packet formats
the protocol format, protocol operation and associated protocol
finite state machines.  See the last two pages for the table of
contents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tsiang-srp-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-tsiang-srp-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-tsiang-srp-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.