Subject: Interim Meeting of the ROHC Working Group

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:24:43 -0400

There will be an interim meeting of the ROHC working group (robust
header compression, http://www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/rohc for more
information) hosted by Nokia in Stockholm, SE on May 29th/30th.

The attached message went out on the ROHC mailing list last week.
At the time, the WG co-chairs were not aware of a new (not yet
promulgated) IESG policy on interim meetings that requires sending
meeting announcements to ietf-announce -- hence this additional
announcement.

Let me take the opportunity to make two clarifications:

1) The document cutoff date (May 24th) cited in the message is for
   submissions to the Interim Meeting.  Of course, you can continue to
   contribute technology to the working group after the cutoff date
   (and after the interim meeting).  It's just that if you want it
   discussed *at* the interim meeting, we all want to have seen it by
   Wednesday night.

2) The hotel is just the meeting site.  There are no vacancies left.

Gruesse, Carsten

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>, Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>,
   Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Subject: ROHC Interim Meeting -- the details (please read)

Nokia has been kind enough to provide a meeting room in Stockholm for
our interim meeting (4.35 miles north of city centre, according to
Radisson's web site).  Thank you, Khiem!

> Meeting room reservation has been made at the following hotel for your
> meetings on May 29-30, 2000.
>
> Radisson SAS Royal Park Hotel, Stockholm City
> Frosundaviks Alle 15
> SE-169 03
> Solna, Sweden (10 min from Stockholm)
>
> Conference Room Names:
>
> May 29 - Fredman Room
> May 30 - Krukmakaren Room
>
> Requested:  Board room style set up (U-shape) to accommodate laptops.  If
> you prefer a different type set up, please let me know as soon as possible
> so I may arrange with hotel.
>
> Equipment in room:  Overhead projector, screen, flip chart,
> whiteboard, analog telephones, LCD projector

Micke and I will generate a full agenda presently.  I expect we will
be meeting from May 29 09:00 to May 30 16:30 (maybe with *some* time
allocated for sleeping).

For better planning, please email me today a quick note if you expect
to (or know who else will) come.

Let me remind you that we want to achieve at least the following goals:

--- Prepare for the Jun 00 milestone of submitting the RTP HC
   Requirements for Informational.  I believe we should spend a
   defined amount of time on this, e.g. 2 hours.
--- Find a way forward for the layer-2 design guidelines and the TCP HC
   requirements.
--- MAIN ITEM: get the RTP HC draft on track.
   We now have a large number of proposals.  We need to progress on
   two counts:
   1) Distill the technical content sufficiently that we get specific
   choices to be made.  Micke and I will prepare something to start this.
   2) Get the editorial work off the ground.  I'm going to propose
   starting with exactly one of the existing documents *editorially*.
   The result of the discussions should be one document picked and
   items (possibly text) from other documents left for the editor to
   be merged in.
--- Review the milestones (attached for your reference); assign
   additional work to specific people where needed.

We are stopping short of having a gate check for everybody having read
all documents, but we *really* expect everyone to be fully cognizant
of all the proposals.  This only can work if we have some time to read
them beforehand.

Therefore, we will have a document submission deadline for this
interim meeting.  If you want to have your proposal considered in the
final agenda of the meeting, you HAVE to send in a fully RFC2026
section 10 conforming I-D, CCing the ROHC mailing list, to
[email-masked]

	by Wednesday, 24th, 21:00 EDT.

As a courtesy to the WG, in your drafts please don't repeat all the
introductory material from RFC 2689 or RFC 2508 or the ROHC
requirements draft (or even what should be in that draft).  Please.
While reading, we all want to focus on the protocol.

Also, please remember the IPR guidelines we have set up.

For your reference, here are the milestones for the WG with some
comments from me.

Mar 00    Submit I-D on Requirements for IP/UDP/RTP header compression.

	  (We missed this deadline -- we had a draft on the mailing
	  list on April, but it has not turned up in the archives yet)

May 00    Submit I-D of layer-2 design guidelines.

	  (Krister's draft is there since March, but we have not
	  progressed it to a WG document yet!  We need to have one
	  round for a draft-ietf-rohc-* now.)

May 00    Submit I-D(s) proposing IP/UDP/RTP header compression schemes.

	  We have many documents, but not all of them are in the
	  archives.  This is one reason for the submission deadline
	  above.  I'll be allocating draft-ietf-rohc-* draft names to
	  the people who I know have drafts -- holler if you don't
	  receive mail from me today.  If you are not on
	  www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/rohc yet, please give me a URL to
	  reference.

May 00    Submit I-D of Requirements for IP/TCP header compression.

	  (We don't have anything here, yet, apart from two slides)

<-- here's the interim meeting -->
Jun 00    Requirements for IP/UDP/RTP header compression submitted to
	  IESG for publication as Informational.
Jul 00    Requirements for IP/TCP header compression submitted to IESG
	  for publication as Informational.
Jul 00    Resolve possibly multiple IP/UDP/RTP compression schemes
	  into a single scheme.
Aug 00    Submit I-D on IP/TCP header compression scheme.
Sep 00    Layer-2 design guidelines submitted to IESG for publication
	  as Informational.
Sep 00    IP/UDP/RTP header compression scheme submitted to IESG for
	  publication as Proposed Standard.
Dec 00    IP/TCP compression scheme submitted to IESG for publication
Jan 01    Possible recharter of WG to develop additional compression
	  schemes.

I'm terribly sorry for the late notice.  You can beat me up on Tuesday
after the meeting, please.

Gruesse, Carsten