Subject: RFC 2828 on Internet Security Glossary

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 07:55:56 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        FYI 36
        RFC 2828

        Title:	    Internet Security Glossary
        Author(s):  R. Shirey
        Status:     For Your Information
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      212
        Characters: 489292
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None
        I-D Tag:    draft-shirey-security-glossary-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2828.txt

This Glossary (191 pages of definitions and 13 pages of references)
provides abbreviations, explanations, and recommendations for use of
information system security terminology. The intent is to improve the
comprehensibility of writing that deals with Internet security,
particularly Internet Standards documents (ISDs). To avoid confusion,
ISDs should use the same term or definition whenever the same concept
is mentioned. To improve international understanding, ISDs should use
terms in their plainest, dictionary sense. ISDs should use terms
established in standards documents and other well-founded
publications and should avoid substituting private or newly made-up
terms. ISDs should avoid terms that are proprietary or otherwise
favor a particular vendor, or that create a bias toward a particular
security technology or mechanism versus other, competing techniques
that already exist or might be developed in the future.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.