Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ohta-e2e-multihoming-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 06:33:27 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Architecture of End to End Multihoming
	Author(s)	: M. Ohta, M. Sola
	Filename	: draft-ohta-e2e-multihoming-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 28-Apr-00
	
This memo describes the architecture of end to end multihoming.
End to end multihoming does not burden routing system for
multihoming.  That is, even extensive use of end to end multihoming
does not increase the number of entries in a global routing table.
Traditionally with IPv4, multihoming capability is offered by an
intelligent routing system, which, as is always the case with
violating the end to end principle, lacks scalability on a global
routing table size and robustness against link failures.
On the other hand, with end to end multihoming, multihoming is
supported by transport (TCP) or application layer (UDP etc.) of end
systems and does not introduce any problem in the network and works
as long as there is some connectivity between the end systems.
Because end to end multihoming is performed in end systems, the
architecture needs no routing protocol changes. Instead, APIs and
applications must be modified to some extent.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohta-e2e-multihoming-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ohta-e2e-multihoming-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ohta-e2e-multihoming-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.