Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ohta-address-allocation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 06:35:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Usage Based Address Allocation Considered Harmful
	Author(s)	: M. Ohta, G. Huston, M. Hirabaru, J. Murai 
  	Filename	: draft-ohta-address-allocation-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 03-May-00
	
The current usage based IPv4 address assignment policies might have
prolonged the useful lifetime of IPv4 address space but this has to
the detriment of the the end-to-end architecture of the Internet.
This memo proposes the adoption of an address assignment strategy
that releases large blocks of IPv4 address space into the Internet.
The objective of this policy is to encourage healthy Internet
deployment models with end-to-end transparency and association of
permanent connectivity with a stable IP address. This is intended to
encourage provider support for open transparent Internet service
environments that can be sustained with the adoption of IPv6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohta-address-allocation-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ohta-address-allocation-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ohta-address-allocation-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.