Subject: Protocol Action: DHCP on IEEE 1394 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:15:24 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DHCP on IEEE 1394'
<draft-ietf-ip1394-dhcp-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the IP Over IEEE 1394 Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
 IEEE Std 1394-1995 is a standard for a High Performance Serial Bus.
 Since 1394 uses a different link-layer addressing method than
 conventional IEEE802/Ethernet (i.e, an interface's link-layer address
 may change over time), the usage of some fields must be clarified to
 achieve interoperability.  This memo describes the 1394 specific
 usage of some fields of DHCP messages.

Working Group Summary

 This document was discussed in both the ip1394 and dhc working
 groups. There was consensus for the approach taken in this document.

Protocol Quality

 This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.