Subject: BCP 38, RFC 2827 on Network Ingress Filtering

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:41:51 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 38
        RFC 2827

        Title:	    Network Ingress Filtering: Defeating Denial of
                    Service Attacks which employ IP Source Address
                    Spoofing 
        Author(s):  P. Ferguson, D. Senie
        Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 21258
        Obsoletes:  2267

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2827.txt

Recent occurrences of various Denial of Service (DoS) attacks which
have employed forged source addresses have proven to be a troublesome
issue for Internet Service Providers and the Internet community
overall.  This paper discusses a simple, effective, and
straightforward method for using ingress traffic filtering to prohibit
DoS attacks which use forged IP addresses to be propagated from
\'behind' an Internet Service Provider's (ISP) aggregation point.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.