Subject: RFC 2842 on Capabilities Advertisement with BGP-4

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:59:53 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2842

        Title:	    Capabilities Advertisement with BGP-4
        Author(s):  R. Chandra, J. Scudder
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 8366
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None  

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-cap-neg-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2842.txt

Currently BGP-4 [BGP-4] requires that when a BGP speaker receives an
OPEN message with one or more unrecognized Optional Parameters, the
speaker must terminate BGP peering. This complicates introduction of
new capabilities in BGP.
 
This document defines new Optional Parameter, called Capabilities,
that is expected to facilitate introduction of new capabilities in
BGP by providing graceful capability advertisement without requiring
that BGP peering be terminated.

This document is a product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group
of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.