Subject: Protocol Action: Root Name Server Operational Requirements to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:06:00 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Root Name Server Operational
Requirements' <draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-05.txt> as a BCP, obsoleting
RFC2010.  This document is the product of the Domain Name Server
Operations Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary

   As the internet becomes increasingly critical to the world's social
   and economic infrastructure, attention has rightly focused on the
   correct, safe, reliable, and secure operation of the internet
   infrastructure itself.  The root domain name servers are seen as a
   crucial part of that technical infrastructure.  The primary focus of
   this document is to provide guidelines for operation of the root name
   servers.  Other major zone server operators (gTLDs, ccTLDs, major
   zones) may also find it useful.  These guidelines are intended to
   meet the perceived societal needs without overly prescribing
   technical details.

Working Group Summary

  There is working group consensus on this document, during IETF Last
  Call, a few comments were received that the WG considered and decided
  that they did not warrant changes to the text.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.