Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-trade-mime-detector-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 10:56:24 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Open Trading Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: HTTP MIME Type Handler Detection
	Author(s)	: D. Eastlake 3rd,C. Smith, D. Soroka
 	Filename	: draft-ietf-trade-mime-detector-03.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 11-May-00
	
Entities composing web pages to provide services over HTTP frequently
have the problem of not knowing what MIME types have handlers
installed at a user's browser.  For example, whether an IOTP or VRML
or SET or some streaming media handler is available.  In many cases
they would want to display different web pages or content depending
on a MIME handler's availability.  This document summarizes a
reasonable technique to solve this problem for most of the browsers
actually deployed on the Internet as of August 1999.  It is intended
to be of practical use to implementors during the period before the
wide deployment of superior standards based techniques which may be
developed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trade-mime-detector-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-trade-mime-detector-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trade-mime-detector-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.