Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-abarbanel-idr-bgp4-te-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 06:34:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: BGP-4 support for Traffic Engineering
	Author(s)	: B. Abarbanel, S. Venkatachalam
	Filename	: draft-abarbanel-idr-bgp4-te-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 02-May-00
	
Currently, constraint based (CR) routing and traffic engineering 
(TE) models do not take into consideration the big picture view of IP
traffic traversing multiple autonomous systems (AS). Most of the
traffic and constraint routing is based on IGP protocols such as
OSPF/ISIS, etc. The resulting view of the Internet is limited to 
one autonomous system and areas or systems within it. Hence, the 
routing/forwarding functions do not select the optimum path for 
packets that need to traverse several autonomous systems. 
  
     The proposal in this draft is that the BGP protocol can be utilized 
     to choose the best BGP routes based on traffic engineered (TE) 
     constraint weights. This information can be propagated between all 
     BGP peers and calculated by the BGP AS border routers before it is 
     deployed to their forwarding tables.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-abarbanel-idr-bgp4-te-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-abarbanel-idr-bgp4-te-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-abarbanel-idr-bgp4-te-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.