Subject: BCP 40, RFC 2870 on Root Name Server Operational Requirements

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:59:23 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 40
        RFC 2870

        Title:	    Root Name Server Operational Requirements
        Author(s):  R. Bush, D. Karrenberg, M. Kosters, R. Plzak
        Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       June 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 21133
        Obsoletes:  2010

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-root-opreq-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2870.txt

As the internet becomes increasingly critical to the world's social
and economic infrastructure, attention has rightly focused on the
correct, safe, reliable, and secure operation of the internet
infrastructure itself.  The root domain name servers are seen as a
crucial part of that technical infrastructure.  The primary focus of
this document is to provide guidelines for operation of the root name
servers.  Other major zone server operators (gTLDs, ccTLDs, major
zones) may also find it useful.  These guidelines are intended to
meet the perceived societal needs without overly prescribing
technical details.

This document is a product of the Domain Name Server Operations
Working Group of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited. 

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.