Subject: RFC 2861 on TCP Congestion Window Validation

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:16:02 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2861

        Title:	    TCP Congestion Window Validation
        Author(s):  M. Handley, J. Padhye, S. Floyd
        Status:     Experimental
	Date:       June 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked] 
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 26993
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-handley-tcp-cwv-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2861.txt

TCP's congestion window controls the number of packets a TCP flow may
have in the network at any time.  However, long periods when the
sender is idle or application-limited can lead to the invalidation of
the congestion window, in that the congestion window no longer
reflects current information about the state of the network.  This
document describes a simple modification to TCP's congestion control
algorithms to decay the congestion window cwnd after the transition
from a sufficiently-long application-limited period, while using the
slow-start threshold ssthresh to save information about the previous
value of the congestion window.
 
An invalid congestion window also results when the congestion window
is increased (i.e., in TCP's slow-start or congestion avoidance
phases) during application-limited periods, when the previous value
of the congestion window might never have been fully utilized.  We
propose that the TCP sender should not increase the congestion window
when the TCP sender has been application-limited (and therefore has
not fully used the current congestion window).  We have explored
these algorithms both with simulations and with experiments from an
implementation in FreeBSD.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group of the
IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.