Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-networkprojects-impp-proposal-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 06:56:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An Architecture and Protocol for Presence and Instant 
                          Messaging
	Author(s)	: F. Mazzoldi, A. Diacakis
	Filename	: draft-networkprojects-impp-proposal-00.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 16-Jun-00
	
There is a growing number of people, on the Internet and elsewhere,
that are interested in knowing when others are available, in order to
communicate with them. A system that provides this information is
known as Presence Service.
Instant Messaging is the ability to communicate with someone in a
rapid, conversational fashion. This usually involves short text
messages, but it may be extended in different ways.
This draft is a response to the efforts of the Instant Messaging and
Presence Protocol (IMPP) group. It describes an architecture and
protocols for Presence and Instant Messaging that meet the
requirements of [RFC 2779]. This draft covers the basic functional
modules needed to provide Presence and Instant Messaging services. It
also provides the semantics for the interactions among this set of
functional modules, along with the data format of the information
exchanged.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-networkprojects-impp-proposal-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-networkprojects-impp-proposal-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-networkprojects-impp-proposal-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.