Subject: RFC 2854 on The 'text/html' Media Type

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:10:03 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2854

        Title:	    The 'text/html' Media Type
        Author(s):  D. Connolly, L. Masinter
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       June 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 16135
        Obsoletes:  2070, 1980, 1942, 1867, 1866

        I-D Tag:    draft-connolly-text-html-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2854.txt

This document summarizes the history of HTML development, and
defines the "text/html" MIME type by pointing to the relevant W3C
recommendations; it is intended to obsolete the previous IETF
documents defining HTML, including RFC 1866, RFC 1867, RFC 1980,
RFC 1942 and RFC 2070, and to remove HTML from IETF Standards
Track.
 
This document was prepared at the request of the W3C HTML working
group. Please send comments to [email-masked], a public mailing
list with archive at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/>.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.