Subject: RFC 2873 on TCP and the IPv4 Precedence Field

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:50:32 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2873

        Title:	    TCP Processing of the IPv4 Precedence Field
        Author(s):  X. Xiao, A. Hannan, V. Paxson, E. Crabbe
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       June 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]  
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 15565
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-xiao-tcp-prec-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2873.txt

This memo describes a conflict between TCP [RFC793] and DiffServ
[RFC2475] on the use of the three leftmost bits in the TOS octet of
an IPv4 header [RFC791]. In a network that contains DiffServ-capable
nodes, such a conflict can cause failures in establishing TCP
connections or can cause some established TCP connections to be reset
undesirably. This memo proposes a modification to TCP for resolving
the conflict.

Because the IPv6 [RFC2460] traffic class octet does not have any
defined meaning except what is defined in RFC 2474, and in particular
does not define precedence or security parameter bits, there is no
conflict between TCP and DiffServ on the use of any bits in the IPv6
traffic class octet.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.