Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-palme-select-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 10:15:05 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The SELECT Protocol for Rating and Filtering
	Author(s)	: J. Palme, J. Kaers
	Filename	: draft-palme-select-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 67
	Date		: 05-Jun-00
	
The SELECT protocol allows Internet users to supply their ratings of
Internet documents, and to use ratings provided by other users to
filter and select what to read In particular, SELECT supports so-called
collaborative filtering. By this is meant that the filtering and
selection for a particular user is made based on ratings provided by
special groups of raters, such as peer groups, people with similar
values, interests and expertise as the person for whom the selecting
and filtering is done.

The SELECT functionality is downwards compatible with PICS [PICS 1,
PICS 2], but a major difference is that while PICS is mainly oriented
towards keeping out unsuitable information from children
(blackballing), SELECT is mainly oriented towards helping people find
the best and most valuable information for them on the Internet
(goldballing). A syntactical difference from PICS is that the encodings
in SELECT are using the XML encoding format.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palme-select-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-palme-select-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-palme-select-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.