Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 06:46:35 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Differentiated Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Definition of Differentiated Services Per Domain 
                          Behaviors and Rules for their Specification
	Author(s)	: K. Nichols, B. Carpenter 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 23-Jun-00
	
The diffserv WG has defined the general architecture for differen-
tiated services (RFC 2475) and has been focused on the definition 
and standardization of the forwarding path behavior required in 
routers, known as 'per-hop forwarding behaviors' (or PHBs) 
(RFCs 2474, 2597, and 2598). The differentiated services frame-
work creates services within a network by applying rules at the 
network edges to create traffic aggregates and coupling these with 
a specific forwarding path treatment for the aggregate. The WG 
has also discussed the behavior required at diffserv network edges 
or boundaries for conditioning packet aggregates, such elements 
as policers and shapers [MODEL, MIB]. A major feature of the 
diffserv architecture is that only the components applying the 
rules at the edge need to be changed in response to short-term 
changes in QoS goals in the network, rather than reconfiguring 
the interior behaviors.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.