Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-osborne-rvp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 06:45:51 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RVP: A Presence and Instant Messaging Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Osborne, S. Aggarwal, L. Wong, P. Beebee, 
                          M. Calsyn,  L. Lippert
	Filename	: draft-osborne-rvp-00.txt
	Pages		: 38
	Date		: 23-Jun-00
	
Instant Messaging has recently emerged as a new and highly 
popular medium of communication over the Internet, driven by the 
desire of individuals to know instantly whether another 
individual is online, to be notified when another individual 
arrives online, and to send messages in æreal timeÆ. These are 
all special cases of the more general problem of Internet-wide 
notification. The RVP protocol, is designed to enable such 
notifications and messages across a loosely coupled (federated) 
constellation of servers. RVP is designed to address the need for 
notification in a secure, reliable and scaleable fashion. RVP 
encompasses the client-server and server-server interactions.  
RVP is related to the work done by the IETF Instant Messaging and 
Presence Protocol Working group (IMPP). This protocol is not 
intended to compete with the IMPP effort, but to inform the 
design process with an existing implementation. This document 
reflects the actual Microsoft Exchange 2000 implementation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-osborne-rvp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-osborne-rvp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-osborne-rvp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.