Subject: Common Radio Access Protocol Set (CRAPS) BOF

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:09:22 -0400

Common Radio Access Protocol Set (CRAPS) BOF

Chairs
------
Phil Neumiller <[email-masked]>
Pat R. Calhoun <[email-masked]>

BOF Description
----------------

With the emergence of new wireless technologies, there has been a
proliferation of inter-access point mobility protocols. Most of these are
achieved through the use of complicated link layers. Moreover, these protocols
do not allow for seamless mobility between different wireless technology
access points.

The CRAPS BOF will examine whether a Working Group should be chartered to 
design a protocol facilitating seamless handover that is common across 
most all types of radio access points and base stations. The goal of the
Working Group is to re-use existing IETF protocol where possible. The output
of the Working Group could be used by the various wireless and cellular SDOs,
which would then enable users to seamlessly roam between different wireless
technologies.

The wireless Internet should provide seamless roaming, at both the micro and
macro mobility level, and perhaps a single protocol can provide both. In
addition, the interfaces to AAA and QOS should be similar.

Goals
-----
The goals of the working group are:

- Explore using a single handover protocol to be used by all access
  points/base 
  stations independent of the RF link layer.
- Explore using end-to-end using IPv6 and Mobile IPv6 in all future wireless 
  devices.
- Terminate radio control at the access point (or base station)
- Promote methods for achieving "seamless IP mobility" across diverse radio
  access technologies
- Coordinate work with other Working Groups within the IETF (e.g. Mobile IP,
  AAA, pilc, etc)
- Coordinate work with other wireless standards organizations

Agenda
------
- Agenda Bashing
- Discussion of (proposed) WG Goals
- Issues and Problems identified in Open Base Station Transport
  Protocol (OBAST) work
- Scope of work regarding CDMA soft hand-off (draft-kepmf-cdma-appl-00.txt)
- Other speakers discussing the problems to be solved, and whether they are in 
  scope within the proposed BOF. - Proposed Charter Review (and hacking of
  said proposed charter)
- Determine whether there is enough interest to form a WG

Milestones
----------
Sep 00 - Inter Access Point architecture I-D as Informational
Dec 00 - Requirements for Inter Access Point protocols I-D as Informational
Jan 01 - recharter

------- End of Forwarded Message