Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-thuel-mobileip-tt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:45:47 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Dynamic Home Addressing in Mobile IP using Transient 
                          Tunnels
	Author(s)	: S. Thuel, L. Salgarelli, R. Ramjee, 
                          K. Varadhan, T. La Porta
 	Filename	: draft-thuel-mobileip-tt-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 20-Jun-00
	
Dynamic home addressing has lately become a popular and viable
approach for configuring mobile IP hosts.  This draft introduces a
method for these hosts to dynamically acquire a home address
through DHCP when powering up in a foreign network, referred to as
the Transient Tunneling (TT) procedure.  Our procedure solves the
problem that mobile hosts cannot rely on conventional broadcasting
procedures to properly discover an addressing server in their home
network.  While leveraging the growing DHCP code-base, our
procedure requires no changes to protocol standards and only minor
changes to server implementations.  In addition, its impact on
host power-up latency is acceptable in conventional wide-area
networks scenarios.  Alternative solutions are discussed along
with other issues related to dynamic addressing on mobile hosts
such as wireless bandwidth usage.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thuel-mobileip-tt-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-thuel-mobileip-tt-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-thuel-mobileip-tt-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.