Subject: Protocol Action: Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:41:13 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Transition Mechanisms for
IPv6 Hosts and Routers' <draft-ietf-ngtrans-mech-06.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Next Generation
Transition Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and
Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
   This document specifies IPv4 compatibility and transition mechanisms
   which include providing complete implementations of both versions of
   the Internet Protocol (IPv4 and IPv6), and tunneling IPv6 packets
   over IPv4 routing infrastructure.  They allow IPv6 nodes to maintain
   complete compatibility with IPv4, which should greatly simplify the
   deployment of IPv6, and facilitate transition to IPv6.

   - Dual IP layer (also known as Dual Stack):  A technique for
     providing complete support for both Internet protocols -- IPv4 and
     IPv6 -- in hosts and routers.

   - Configured tunneling of IPv6 over IPv4:  Point-to-point tunnels
     made by encapsulating IPv6 packets within IPv4 headers to carry
     them over IPv4 routing infrastructures.

   - IPv4-compatible IPv6 addresses:  An IPv6 address format that
     employs embedded IPv4 addresses.

   - Automatic tunneling of IPv6 over IPv4: A mechanism for using
     IPv4-compatible addresses to automatically tunnel IPv6 packets over
     IPv4 networks.

Working Group Summary

   There was consensus and no technical objection in the WG for this
   document.

Protocol Quality

   This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush. There is one
   or more implementations of each technique in progress.