Subject: Protocol Action: Router Renumbering for IPv6 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 07:14:28 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Router Renumbering for IPv6'
<draft-ietf-ipngwg-router-renum-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the IPNG Working Group.  The IESG contact
persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
IPv6 Neighbor Discovery and Address Autoconfiguration conveniently
make initial assignments of address prefixes to hosts. Hosts obtain
routing prefixes from routers, and form addresses from those
prefixes. This mechanism simplifies site renumbering by allowing
routers to simultaneously phase in new prefixes and phase out old ones.

This document defines a mechanism called Router Renumbering that
allows the address prefixes routers advertise to be configured and
reconfigured from a central place. That is, it allows a site
administer to easily change the prefixes that all of its routers
advertise. This mechanism may facilitate easier site renumbering.

Working Group Summary

The IPng WG originally asked to advance the document over a year ago,
and the IESG returned it to the WG asking for a strengthening of the
reliability aspects of the protocol. This version of the document
includes those changes and no issues were raised during the Last Call.

Protocol Quality

This protocol has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten and Erik
Nordmark.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please include the following as an IESG Note:

    This document defines mechanisms for informing a set of routers of
    renumbering operations they are to perform, including a mode of
    operation in environments in which the exact number of routers is
    unknown. Reliably informing all routers when the actual number of
    routers is unknown is a difficult problem. Implementation and
    operational experience will be needed to fully understand the
    applicabilty and scalability aspects of the mechanisms defined in
    this document when the number of routers is unknown.