Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-slutsman-softswitch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 06:43:59 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IN/Internet Interworking in Support of Software 
                          Switches
	Author(s)	: L. Slutsman, I. Faynberg, H. Lu 
 	Filename	: draft-slutsman-softswitch-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 15-Jun-00
	
The goal of this document is to identify and propose a new work item
for the IETF. To this end, the document defines the term 'software
switch' for the purposes of describing a mechanism by which existing
PSTN Intelligent Network (IN) service control can be reused in IP
networks. IP telephony is one application that can benefit from this
mechanism, but there are other potential applications of interest (for
example, Unified Messaging) which this draft does not address. Specifically, the document illustrates the role of the software switch in IP telephony. The document then narrows, for practical purposes, the scope of the software switch so as to identify an architecture and mechanism for interworking of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Intelligent Network Application Part Protocol (INAP). The so defined mechanism can be implemented as an application layer protocol, when architectural entities reside in different machines, or inter-process communications protocol, if they reside in the same machine. It is the proposal of this document to define at a minimum a meta-protocol (from which particular implementations can be derived) as a work item in the IETF. Some (but not all) parts of this work have already been discussed in the IETF. To help delineating the proposed work item, this Internet draft explains how it relates to the efforts of the existing IETF working groups that!
  deal with the protocols for PSTN/Internet interworking (IPTEL, MEGACO, PINT, SPIRITS, and SIGTRAN) and ITU-T.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-slutsman-softswitch-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-slutsman-softswitch-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-slutsman-softswitch-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.