Subject: Call for ICANN BoD Nominee volunteers

From: "avri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:34:16 -0400

The NomCom has been asked by the IAB to recommend a person who could be
presented to the ICANN board as the IETF nominee for the ICANN Board of
Directors.  According to the ICANN nomination procedures (detailed in
section 3b at <http://www.icann.org/pso/pso-mou.htm> and excerpted below)
this IETF nominee will be one of the nominees from whom a single member
of the ICANN BoD will be selected.

This notice constitutes a call for volunteers. Any interested person is
requested to send a statement to [email-masked], indicating his or her
interest in being considered for the nomination.  This statement should
include the following:

- The subject line ICANN Volunteer
- Name
- Contact Information, i.e. Telephone number
- Brief statement of qualifications
- Brief statement of what they plan to do if elected to ICANN BoD

The deadline for volunteer statements is 1400 EST, 5 July, 2000.

Thanks

Avri Doria
Chair, NomCom

-----
Background Information

The procedure for election to the ICANN board was spelled in the MOU.
The URL reference is
http://www.icann.org/pso/pso-mou.htm

The section that specifically refers to the relevant ICANN process is:

(3) ICANN Directors. 

(a) The Protocol Council will appoint Directors to the ICANN Board of
    Directors in accordance with the By-laws of
    ICANN, for such terms as are specified by such By-laws. ICANN will
    notify the Protocol Council of any vacancies on the
    ICANN Board which may be filled by the Protocol Council. 

(b) The Protocol Council will conduct an open call for nominations
    for any open PSO seats on the ICANN Board. Each
    Signing SDO is entitled to nominate candidates by procedures of its
    own choosing. 

    Additionally, nominations from the public at large will be allowed
    under conditions to be defined by the Protocol Council. The Protocol 
    Council will select the PSO nominees to the ICANN Board from among 
    these nominees. ICANN Directors selected by the Protocol Council may, 
    but need not, be members of the Protocol Council or any SDO. 

As a signing SDO, the IETF is entitled to nominate a single nominee.
According to the POISSON defined process, the NomCom is available
for recommending nominees to the IAB.  In this case the IAB has made 
such a request.