Subject: Protocol Action: SMTP Service Extension for Command Pipelining to Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 07:32:51 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'SMTP Service Extension for
Command Pipelining' <draft-freed-smtp-pipe-01.txt> as a Standard. This
document replaces RFC2197, currently a Draft Standard.

This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.  The IESG contact person is Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
This memo defines an extension to the SMTP service whereby a
server can indicate the extent of its ability to accept
multiple commands in a single TCP send operation. Using a
single TCP send operation for multiple commands can improve
SMTP performance significantly.

Working Group Summary

The present document is an updated version of [RFC-2197],
which in turn was a revision of [RFC-1854]. Only textual and
editorial changes have been made; the protocol has not changed
in any way.

Protocol Quality

Patrik Faltstrom has reviewed the protocol for the IESG.

SMTP pipelining considerably reduces the number of round trips in the
SMTP protocol. Implementations of SMTP pipeliningg have experienced a
significant reduction in the average amount of time needed to transmit
a message, and a corresponding decrease in message latency.

Implementation information can be found at
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/SMTP-PIPELINING-Standard-implementation