Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ouldbrahim-vpn-vr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 06:45:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Network based IP VPN Architecture Using Virtual 
                          Routers
	Author(s)	: H. Ould-Brahim, B. Gleeson, G. Wright, T. Sloane,
                          R. Bach, R. Bubenik, A. Young
	Filename	: draft-ouldbrahim-vpn-vr-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 19-Jul-00
	
This draft describes a network based VPN architecture using virtual
routers. The VPN service is built based on the virtual router (VR)
concept, which has exactly the same mechanisms as a physical router,
and therefore inherits all existing mechanisms and tools for
configuration, operation, accounting, and maintenance. Within a VPN
domain, an instance of routing is used to distribute VPN
reachability information among VR routers. Any routing protocol can
be used, and no VPN-related modifications or extensions are needed
to the routing protocol for achieving VPN reachability. Virtual
routers can be deployed in different VPN configurations, direct VR
to VR connectivity through layer-2 or by aggregating multiple VRs
into a single VR combined with IP or MPLS based tunnels. This
architecture accommodates different backbone deployment scenarios,
e.g. where the service provider owns their own backbone, and where
the service provider obtains backbone service from one or more other
service providers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-vpn-vr-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ouldbrahim-vpn-vr-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-vpn-vr-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.