Subject: Protocol Action: Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup Operations to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 07:16:28 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Definitions of Managed
Objects for Remote Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup Operations'
<draft-ietf-disman-remops-mib-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Distributed Management Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
  Currently, there are several enterprise-specific MIBs for performing
  remote ping or traceroute operations.  The purpose of this memo is
  to define a standards-based solution to enable interoperibility.

  This memo defines Management Information Bases (MIBs) for performing
  remote ping, traceroute and lookup operations at a remote host.
  When managing a network it is useful to be able to initiate and
  retrieve the results of ping or traceroute operations when performed
  at a remote host.  A Lookup capability is defined in order to enable
  resolving of either an IP address to an DNS name or an DNS name
  to an IP address at a remote host.

Working Group Summary

  The WG has had quite a set of debates about these documents.
  But this final revision of the document has consensus of the WG.

Protocol Quality

  This memo has been reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen and
  David Partain.