Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-shand-erm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 07:04:34 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Explicit Route Multicast (ERM)
	Author(s)	: J. Bion, D. Farinacci, M. Shand, A. Tweedly
	Filename	: draft-shand-erm-00.txt
	Pages		: 39
	Date		: 06-Jul-00
	
Conventional multicast builds a tree structure from the source of a
multicast stream to the destinations of that stream. Multicast
packets are forwarded from the sources down the tree by each
intervening router. Each router contains state information to
determine the next hop forwarding destination(s) for a packet. Where
there are a large number of groups, this gives rise to a scaling
problem. The amount of state to be stored in the routers becomes
impossibly large.
It is attractive to consider the use of multicast to provide
applications such as n-way voice and video conferencing, which would
require a very large number (perhaps millions) of relatively small
(between 3 and 10 members) multicast groups.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shand-erm-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-shand-erm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-shand-erm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.