Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 06:28:07 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SIP Extensions for Message Waiting Indication
	Author(s)	: R. Mahy, I. Slain
	Filename	: draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 12-Jul-00
	
SIP [2] is very useful as a protocol for finding users and for
rendezvous with those users.  It is also very good at getting status
and presence information which corresponds to those users (see the
work of the PINT WG [3], and recent SIP-based proposals for Instant
Messaging (IM) [4], and Presence [5]). This draft proposes using SIP
with the SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY methods [6] to carry message waiting
status and message summaries from a messaging system to an
interested User Agent.
This proposal contains two message body definitions.  The first is a
simple text representation suitable for giving the status of a
single folder.  The second uses XML [7]; it can carry status for
multiple message folders within an account, it is compatible with
XSL [8] style sheets, and it can be extended later without breaking
backwards compatibility.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mahy-sip-message-waiting-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.