Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-zinin-flood-opt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 06:35:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Flooding optimizations in link-state routing protocols
	Author(s)	: A. Zinin, M. Shand
	Filename	: draft-zinin-flood-opt-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 21-Jul-00
	
The flooding algorithm is one of the most important parts of any link
state routing protocol. It ensures that all routers within a link
state domain converge on the same topological information within a
finite period of time. To ensure reliability, typical implementations
of the flooding algorithm send new information via all interfaces
other than the one the new piece of information was received on. This
redundancy is necessary to guarantee that flooding is performed
reliably, but implies considerable overhead of utilized bandwidth and
CPU time if neighboring routers are connected with more than one
link.  This document describes a method that reduces this overhead.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zinin-flood-opt-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-zinin-flood-opt-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-zinin-flood-opt-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.