Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipp-install-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 06:45:44 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Printing Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): Printer Installation
                          Extension
	Author(s)	: H. Parra, T. Tronson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipp-install-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 19-Jul-00
	
Various client platforms require that some setting up take place at the
workstation before the client can properly submit jobs to a specific
printer.   This setup process is sometimes referred to as printer
installation.  Most clients need some information about the printer
being installed as well as support files to complete the printer
installation.  The nature of the support files varies depending on the
specific client platform, from simple configuration files to highly
sophisticated printer drivers.  This document refers to these support
files as 'client print support files'.  Traditionally, the selection and
installation of the correct client print support files has been error
prone.  The selection and installation process can be simplified and
even automated if the workstation can learn some key information about
the printer.  This document describes the IPP extensions that enable
workstations to obtain the information needed to perform a proper
printer driver installation using IPP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-install-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipp-install-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-install-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.