Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-zhang-pmip-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 06:36:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: P-MIP: Minimal Paging Extensions for Mobile IP
	Author(s)	: X. Zhang, J. Castellanos, A. Campbell,
                          K. Sawada, M. Barry
	Filename	: draft-zhang-pmip-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 24-Jul-00
	
As the number of Mobile IP users grow so will the signaling overhead
on the core IP network in support of mobility management. In cellular
networks registration and paging techniques are used to minimize the
signaling overhead and optimize the mobility management performance.
Currently, Mobile IP supports registration but not paging. We believe
that Mobile IP support for paging is important to improve the
scalability of Mobile IP networks. Recently, a number of micro-
mobility protocols [8] have been proposed that have built-in paging
functions. These micro-mobility protocols are independent of the base
Mobile IP protocol and interwork with Mobile IP [2] through mobile
gateways. We take a different approach and propose a minimal set of
paging extensions to the base Mobile IP called P-MIP. P-MIP is
designed to reduce signaling load in the core Internet and power
consumption of mobile nodes. In this draft, P-MIP, which assumes the
use of foreign agents, is described and the construction of paging
areas, movement detection, registration, paging and data handling are
presented.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-pmip-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-zhang-pmip-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-zhang-pmip-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.