Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-buffam-avt-crtp-over-aal2-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:32:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IP/UDP/RTP Header Compression over AAL2
	Author(s)	: b. Buffam, B. Thompson, T. Koren
	Filename	: draft-buffam-avt-crtp-over-aal2-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 18-Jul-00
	
This document describes a method to carry compressed and uncompressed 
traffic over AAL2. This proposal uses AAL2 frame mode SSCS to carry 
uncompressed protocols directly. The proposal also includes a new SSCS 
for carriage of compressed protocols over AAL2 frame mode to improve 
the bandwidth efficiency of RTP streams over an ATM network using 
compression and multiplexing.

This proposal advocates the use of compressed RTP and multiplexing over 
ATM Adaptation Layer Type 2 (AAL2) frame mode. RTP traffic is first 
compressed, the resulting CRTP stream is then processed by the AAL2 
CRTP Service Specific Convergence Sub-layer (AAL2 CRTP SSCS), to be 
multiplexed onto an AAL2 CPS-PDU frame mode stream. The resulting 
multiplexed stream is carried end-to-end through an ATM network and 
then mapped in reverse back into CRTP at the far end to be presented to 
the upper layer IP/UDP/RTP protocol stack.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-buffam-avt-crtp-over-aal2-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-buffam-avt-crtp-over-aal2-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-buffam-avt-crtp-over-aal2-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.