Subject: RFC 2874 on IPv6 DNS

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:55:30 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2874

        Title:	    DNS Extensions to Support IPv6 Address Aggregation
                    and Renumbering
        Author(s):  M. Crawford, C. Huitema, S. Thomson
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       July 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 44204
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-08.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2874.txt

This document defines changes to the Domain Name System to support
renumberable and aggregatable IPv6 addressing.  The changes include
a new resource record type to store an IPv6 address in a manner
which expedites network renumbering and updated definitions of
existing query types that return Internet addresses as part of
additional section processing.
 
For lookups keyed on IPv6 addresses (often called reverse lookups),
this document defines a new zone structure which allows a zone to be
used without modification for parallel copies of an address space
(as for a multihomed provider or site) and across network
renumbering events.

This document is a product of the IPNG Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.