Subject: RFC 2884 on ECN in IP Networks

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:15:44 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2884

        Title:	    Performance Evaluation of Explicit Congestion
                    Notification (ECN) in IP Networks
        Author(s):  J. Hadi Salim, U. Ahmed
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       July 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 44647
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-hadi-jhsua-ecnperf-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2884.txt

This memo presents a performance study of the Explicit Congestion
Notification (ECN) mechanism in the TCP/IP protocol using our
implementation on the Linux Operating System. ECN is an end-to-end
congestion avoidance mechanism proposed by [6] and incorporated into
RFC 2481[7]. We study the behavior of ECN for both bulk and
transactional transfers. Our experiments show that there is
improvement in throughput over NON ECN (TCP employing any of Reno,
SACK/FACK or NewReno congestion control) in the case of bulk
transfers and substantial improvement for transactional transfers.

A more complete pdf version of this document is available at:
http://www7.nortel.com:8080/CTL/ecnperf.pdf
 
This memo in its current revision is missing a lot of the visual
representations and experimental results found in the pdf version.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.