Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fiaschi-qoscapability-ppp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 06:43:50 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A proposal to provide QoS capability for PPP
	Author(s)	: G. Fiaschi, F. Poggi, G. Rolandelli
	Filename	: draft-fiaschi-qoscapability-ppp-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 19-Jul-00
	
Quality of Service in the IP protocol has been proposed in some 
service definitions (Int-Serv and Diff-Serv) and in a variety of 
schemes and supporting protocols (RSVP). These schemes assume,
of course, that all the protocols supporting IP links in turn
provide a well-defined degree of QoS the IP schemes can rely upon.
One of the most common link protocols is PPP.
The PPP protocol provides a standard method for transporting
multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links. It was 
designed to be used in serial point-to-point links. These ones
can be for example PSTN circuits, characterized by a fixed 
bandwidth and fixed delay. Hence, there was no need to specify QoS
mechanisms for PPP: the IP layer (or more generally the network
layer) did not take into account the data-link layer to 
calculate the available resources.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fiaschi-qoscapability-ppp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fiaschi-qoscapability-ppp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fiaschi-qoscapability-ppp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.