Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 06:32:22 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Public-Key Cryptography for the Network Time Protocol
                          Version 1
	Author(s)	: D. Mills
	Filename	: draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-00.txt
	Pages		: 36
	Date		: 11-Jul-00
	
This memorandum describes a scheme for authenticating servers to
clients for the Network Time Protocol. It extends prior schemes based
on symmetric-key cryptography to a new scheme based on public-key
cryptography. The new scheme, called Autokey, is based on the premiss
that the IPSEC schemes proposed by the IETF cannot be adopted
intact,since that would preclude stateless servers and severely
compromise timekeeping accuracy. In addition, the IPSEC model
presumes timestamps are always available using authenticated means;
however, cryptographically verified timestamps require interaction
between the timekeeping function and authentication function in ways
not yet considered in the IPSEC model.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.