Subject: RFC 2877 on 5250 Telnet Enhancements

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:18:31 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2877

        Title:	    5250 Telnet Enhancements
        Author(s):  T. Murphy, Jr., P. Rieth, J. Stevens
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       July 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      36
        Characters: 83369
        Updates:    1205 

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn5250e-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2877.txt

This memo describes the interface to the IBM 5250 Telnet server that
allows client Telnet to request a Telnet terminal or printer session
using a specific device name.  If a requested device name is not
available, a method to retry the request using a new device name is
described.  Methods to request specific Telnet session settings and
auto-signon function are also described.

By allowing a Telnet client to select the device name, the 5250
Telnet server opens the door for applications to set and/or extract
useful information about the Telnet client.  Some possibilities are
1) selecting a customized device name associated with a particular
user profile name for National Language Support or subsystem routing,
2) connecting PC and network printers as clients and 3) auto-signon
using clear-text or DES-encrypted password exchange.
 
Applications may need to use system API's on the AS/400 in order to
extract Telnet session settings from the device name description.
Refer to the Retrieve Device Description (QDCRDEVD) API described in
the AS/400 System API book [3] on how to extract information using
the DEVD0600 and DEVD1100 templates.
 
This memo describes how the IBM 5250 Telnet server supports Work
Station Function (WSF) printers using 5250 Display Station
Pass-Through.  A response code is returned by the Telnet server to
indicate success or failure of the WSF printer session.

This document is a product of the Telnet TN3270 Enhancements Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.