Subject: RFC 2878 on PPP Bridging Control Protocol (BCP)

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:08:54 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2878

        Title:	    PPP Bridging Control Protocol (BCP)
        Author(s):  M. Higashiyama, F. Baker
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       July 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      38
        Characters: 79527
        Obsoletes:  1638

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pppext-bcp-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2878.txt

The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) [6] provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links.  PPP
defines an extensible Link Control Protocol, and proposes a family of
Network Control Protocols for establishing and configuring different
network-layer protocols.
 
This document defines the Network Control Protocol for establishing
and configuring Remote Bridging for PPP links.
 
This document obsoletes RFC 1638, which was based on the IEEE
802.1D-1993 MAC Bridge[3]. This document extends that specification
by including the IEEE 802.1D-1998 MAC Bridge[8] and IEEE 802.1Q
Virtual LAN (VLAN)[9] standards. This document also improves the
protocol in order to support high-speed switched LANs.

This document is a product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.