Subject: Protocol Action: Telnet Authentication Options to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:48:44 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Telnet Authentication Option'
<draft-tso-telnet-auth-enc-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This
document replaces RFC1416, currently an Experimental Protocol.

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of the following
Internet-Drafts as Proposed Standards:

o Telnet Authentication: Kerberos Version 5
	<draft-tso-telnet-krb5-04.txt> 
o Telnet Authentication Using DSA
	<draft-housley-telnet-auth-dsa-05.txt>
o Telnet Authentication: SRP
	<draft-wu-telnet-auth-srp-05.txt>
o The SRP Authentication and Key Exchange System
	<draft-wu-srp-auth-03.txt> 
o Telnet Data Encryption Option
	<draft-tso-telnet-encryption-04.txt> 
o Telnet Encryption: DES3 64 bit Cipher Feedback 
	<draft-altman-telnet-enc-des3-cfb-01.txt> 
o Telnet Encryption: DES3 64 bit Output Feedback 
	<draft-altman-telnet-enc-des3-ofb-01.txt> 
o Telnet Encryption: CAST-128 64 bit Cipher Feedback 
	<draft-altman-telnet-enc-cast128-ofb-00.txt> 
o Telnet Encryption: CAST-128 64 bit Cipher Feedback 
	<draft-altman-telnet-enc-cast128-cfb-00.txt>

The IESG approved publication of the following documents as
Informational RFCs:

o Telnet Authentication Using KEA and SKIPJACK 
	<draft-housley-telnet-auth-keasj-05.txt>
o Telnet Encryption: DES 64 bit Cipher Feedback 
	<draft-tso-telnet-enc-des-cfb-04.txt> 
o Telnet Encryption: DES 64 bit Output Feedback 
	<draft-tso-telnet-enc-des-ofb-04.txt> 

These documents have been reviewed in the IETF but are not the product
of an IETF Working Group.  The IESG contact persons Jeff Schiller and
Marcus Leech.

Technical Summary
 
  These documents are the result of implementation experience in the
  deployment of a more secure TELNET implementation. In particular
  draft-tso-telnet-auth-enc-05.txt is a significant security improvement
  over RFC1416 which it obsoletes. Fundamentally these documents define
  a way of adding encryption and authentication support to TELNET using
  two different key management schemes (Kerberos and SRP) and several
  ciphers.

Working Group Summary

  N/A

Protocol Quality

  These documents were reviewed by Jeffrey I. Schiller for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

In draft-tso-telnet-auth-enc-05.txt Please replace the reference:

   [2] D. Borman, "Telnet Authentication Option", RFC 1409, January
       1993.

With the reference:

   [2] D. Borman, "Telnet Authentication Option", RFC 1416, February
       1993.

In draft-housley-telnet-auth-dsa-05.txt please replace the reference
to RFC1416 to instead reference the new RFC number associated with
draft-tso-telnet-auth-enc-05.txt.

Note: The other documents in the set of telnet authentication
encryption documents that reference RFC1416 should also reference the
new RFC number.