Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-deason-sip-soap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 07:12:05 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SIP and SOAP
	Author(s)	: N. Deason
	Filename	: draft-deason-sip-soap-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 06-Jul-00
	
This document describes an extension to the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP) [1] . The purpose of this extension is to provide
an extremely generic and extensible framework through which SIP
nodes can request additional services from remote nodes. Examples of
such nodes include SIP Network Servers, SIP User Agents, SIP/PSTN
Gateways, SIP/H.323 Gateways and SIP Enabled Application Service
Brokers. It also a candidate for providing a remote procedure call
mechanism for Call Processing Language (CPL) scripts [2] .
This proposal is based upon a new SIP method, called SERVICE. The
SERVICE method can carry a Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) [3]
message as it's payload. SOAP is a lightweight protocol for exchange
of information in a decentralized, distributed environment. SOAP
defines a framework for encoding request and response messages in
XML. Typically SOAP uses HTTP as a transport protocol but this
proposal enables SIP to be used instead.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-deason-sip-soap-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-deason-sip-soap-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-deason-sip-soap-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.