Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-sorrento-rsvp-bi-osp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 06:39:52 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Extensions to RSVP-TE for Bi-directional Optical Path 
                          Setup
	Author(s)	: D. Guo, L. Zhang, J. Fu, R. Cheung
	Filename	: draft-sorrento-rsvp-bi-osp-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 14-Jul-00
	
We propose an extension to RSVP-TE for setting up and maintaining 
Bi-directional Optical Switched Paths (BOSPs) in optical networks 
with symmetric traffic patterns. The requirement for wavelength 
continuity for some types of optical networks with no (or partial) 
wavelength conversion is also supported. It follows the framework 
of MPLS and extends the RSVP-TE to support the signaling for the 
provisioning of BOSPs. We introduce a new c-types for bi-directional
LSPs in both Label Request object and Label object. Each LSR (OXC), 
upon receiving an RESV message for a BOSP, will allocate a pair of 
labels. One label is for the incoming port from the next hop and 
the other is for the incoming port from the previous hop. The labels
here include fiber ID, wavelength ID and sub-channel ID (if 
applicable). This extension requires a minimum change to the 
existing RSVP-TE protocol. It avoids the problem of contention where
two OXCs assign the same wavelength on a uni-directional link for 
two different sessions. This contention arises in both [4] and [5].
As a result, no additional mechanism  for contention resolution is 
needed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sorrento-rsvp-bi-osp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-sorrento-rsvp-bi-osp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-sorrento-rsvp-bi-osp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.