Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-itsumo-drcp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 06:32:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Dynamic Registration and Configuration Protocol (DRCP)
	Author(s)	: A. McAuley, S. Das, S. Madhani, 
                          S. Baba, Y. Shobatake
	Filename	: draft-itsumo-drcp-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 24-Jul-00
	
The Dynamic Host  Configuration  Protocol (DHCP) provides a framework
for  passing  configuration  information  to hosts  [DHC].  DHCP was,
however,  designed  for hosts on a fixed  LAN, not for nodes  roaming
among commercial  wireless networks.  A Mobile IP [MIP] Foreign Agent
gives some  powerful  plug and play  capability  for  roaming  hosts,
especially  when  combined  with some recent  proposals  [e.g., MIPA,
MIPC, MIPD, MIPN, HAW, CEL, TIA].  Mobile IP  functionality,  however
is not  always  needed  and  for  some  dynamic  networks  it  may be
undesirable to use Foreign Agents.  This draft proposes a lightweight
dynamic  configuration  protocol, called the Dynamic Registration and
Configuration  Protocol  (DRCP).  DRCP borrows  heavily from DHCP and
can switch to using DHCP protocol if only DHCP servers are present in
the  network;  but adds  features  critical  to roaming  users.  Most
importantly,  DRCP  allows  rapid  configuration  by  moving  address
consistency  checking  from the  critical  path.  Other new  features
allow:  a) clients to know when to get a new address  independent  of
the layer-2 access  technology,  b) efficient use of scarce  wireless
bandwidth, c) clients to be routers, d) dynamic  addition or deletion
of address  pools to any DRCP node, and e) message  exchange  without
broadcast.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-itsumo-drcp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-itsumo-drcp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-itsumo-drcp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.