Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:35:26 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Address Translators Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Complications with the IP Network Address 
                          Translator (NAT)
	Author(s)	: M. Holdrege, P. Srisuresh
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-04.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 18-Jul-00
	
Many internet applications can be adversely affected when
communicating end nodes are not in the same address realm and seek
the assistance of NAT enroute to bridge the realms. NAT device
cannot provide the necessary application/protocol transparency in
all cases and seeks the assistance of Application Level Gateways
(ALGs) where possible, to provide transparency. The purpose of 
this document is to identify the protocols and applications that
break with NAT enroute. The document also attempts to identify 
any known workarounds. It is impossible to capture all the 
applications that break with NAT in a single document. This 
document attempts to capture as much of the information as 
possible, but is by no means a comprehensive coverage. We hope 
this coverage provides necessary clues for applications not 
covered by the document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.