Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-magret-pilc-lltcp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 06:34:22 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Long-lived TCP connections
	Author(s)	: V. Magret, M. Yang
	Filename	: draft-magret-pilc-lltcp-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 17-Jul-00
	
This document specifies a protocol enhancement allowing TCP connec-
tions to switch from an active state to an idle state during a wire-
less link's outage. Within such state all timers are cancelled and
packets' transmission is suspended. The protocol defines a mechanism
by which the mobile station may detect a link failure and changes TCP
connections' state to idle. This same mechanism allows the mobile
host to detect connectivity regain. All TCP connections are then
resumed.
The protocol defines how the supervisor host, which can monitor the
wireless link quality, can alert the fixed host of a failure of the
wireless link.  The fixed host can suspend the outgoing activity with
the unreachable mobile node. When the fixed hosts start receiving
packets from the mobile node, the activity can be resumed.
This protocol increases the capacity of both parties involved in a
communication that is carried via a wireless link to handled connec-
tivity disruption without impacting the overall performance of the
TCP connections.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-magret-pilc-lltcp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-magret-pilc-lltcp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-magret-pilc-lltcp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.