Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 06:33:31 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Address Translators Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Complications with the IP Network Address 
                          Translator (NAT)
	Author(s)	: M. Holdrege, P. Srisuresh
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-03.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 07-Jul-00
	
Many common internet applications can be adversely affected when the
communicating end  nodes are not in the same address realm and seek the
assistance of NAT (enroute) to bridge the realms. NAT by itself cannot
provide the necessary application/protocol transparency in all cases.
Often, a NAT device seeks the assistance of Application Level Gateways
(ALGs) to provide the transparency necessary for each application. The
purpose of this document is to identify the protocols and applications
that cannot function with NAT enroute. The document attempts to identify
the problem cause and describe known work-arounds and the requirements
on the part of ALGs to make the protocols/applications transparent with
NAT enroute. It is impossible to capture all the applications and their
issues with NAT in a single document.  This document attempts to capture
as much information as possible. We hope, the coverage provides
necessary clues for applications not covered by the document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.