Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-krishnamurthi-mobileip-buffer6-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 06:33:34 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Buffer Management for Smooth HandOvers in Mobile IPv6
	Author(s)	: G. Krishnamurthi, R. Chalmers, C. Perkins
	Filename	: draft-krishnamurthi-mobileip-buffer6-00.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 24-Jul-00
	
An important issue to consider when supporting real-time applications
like VoIP in mobile networks is the capability to provide smooth
handoffs.  A critical requirement for smooth handoffs is to minimize
packet loss as a mobile node (MN) transitions between network links.
This document defines a buffering mechanism for Mobile IPv6 by which an
MN can request that the router on its current subnet buffers packets
on its behalf while the MN completes registration procedures with the
router of a new subnet.  Once the registration is complete and the MN
has a valid care-of address in the new network, the buffered packets can
be forwarded from the previous router, thus reducing the possibility of
packet loss during the transition.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krishnamurthi-mobileip-buffer6-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-krishnamurthi-mobileip-buffer6-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-krishnamurthi-mobileip-buffer6-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.