Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hiller-rohc-gehco-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:38:44 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Good Enough Header COmpression (GEHCO)
	Author(s)	: T. Hiller, P. McCann
	Filename	: draft-hiller-rohc-gehco-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 20-Jul-00
	
The Robust Header Compression Working Group has embarked upon the
development and standardization of header compression schemes that
perform well over links with high error rates and long round-trip
times. The goal is that the schemes must perform well for cellular
links built using technologies such as WCDMA, EDGE, and CDMA-2000.
One way the group plans to achieve this is by maintaining
connections with other standardization organizations developing
cellular technology for IP, such as 3GPP and 3GPP-2, to ensure that
its output fulfills their requirements and will be put to good use.
Of particular importance to the 3GPP2 community is the spectral
efficiency of IP/UDP/RTP header compression for the voice over IP
application to mobiles. Currently, the ROHC Working Group is
focusing on compression schemes where the uncompressed header is
identical to the original header seen by the compressor. This may
be categorized as transparent compression. Transparent compression
results in additional header bytes being transported over-the-air.
3GPP2 carriers have indicated that no additional bytes may be
transported over-the-air for voice over IP, that is, that voice
over IP must have spectral efficiency comparable to legacy circuit
transport over-the-air. This draft proposes a specific scheme, Good
Enough Header Compression (GEHCO) that does not exactly reproduce
the IP/UDP/RTP header, but is otherwise

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hiller-rohc-gehco-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hiller-rohc-gehco-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hiller-rohc-gehco-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.