Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bhattach-pim-ssm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 06:33:07 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Framework for Source-Specific IP Multicast 
                          Deployment
	Author(s)	: S. Bhattacharyya et al.
	Filename	: draft-bhattach-pim-ssm-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 17-Jul-00
	
This document provides an overview of the Source-Specific Multicast
(SSM) service model which supports source-based multicast trees
across multiple domains in the Internet.  SSM realizes components of
the EXPRESS [HOLB99] multicast service model in which there is a
single source for every multicast channel, and channel membership is
based on the unique combination of multicast group address (G) as
well as the source's unicast address (S). End-hosts use version 3 of
the IGMP protocol (IGMPv3) to register their interest in a particular
source-group (S,G) pair. The PIM-SM protocol is then used to
construct the multicast forwarding tree rooted at the source S.
This document is intended as a starting point for implementing and
deploying SSM services. It provides a brief architectural overview of
SSM described in more detail in [HOLBOO] and describes associated
deployment challenges.  It summarizes changes to protocols and
applications both at end-hosts and routers, with pointers to more
detailed documents, wherever appropriate.  Issues of interoperability
with the current multicast architecture are also discussed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bhattach-pim-ssm-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bhattach-pim-ssm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bhattach-pim-ssm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.