Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jibiki-iwata-msdp-idmf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 06:34:31 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: MSDP Specific Forwarding Extension for Inter-Domain 
                          Multicast Forwarding
	Author(s)	: M. Jibiki, A. Iwata
	Filename	: draft-jibiki-iwata-msdp-idmf-00.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 17-Jul-00
	
This draft proposes a general inter-domain multicast forwarding
(IDMF) mechanism for the PIM-SM multicast routing protocol and its
application to the MSDP specific forwarding extension (MSDP-FE).
Although there have been various inter-domain multicast routing and
forwarding protocols, they are still limited in their capacity to
handle policy routing, QoS routing, accounting and security, which
network administrators are willing to use in their network. In order
to overcome this limitation, we propose a novel approach to create an
inter-domain multicast forwarding tree (or routing table) among
multiple PIM-SM domains with logical multicast paths over which
multicast packets are forwarded or flooded. The logical multicast
paths are created by either the IP-in-IP tunneling method, the IP
masquerade-like method, or the MPLS label switched path (LSP) method,
which can easily reuse policy routing and QoS routing for unicast
routing. These logical multicast paths are established among IDMF-
capable nodes, which are located within each PIM-SM domain, either
manually or by a dynamic IDMF tree construction protocol. This
general framework for IDMF can be used as an MSDP based forwarding
mechanism. Furthermore, the IDMF-capable nodes (i.e., MSDP-FE-capable
nodes) can also function as a proxy sender of multicast packets. This
can prevent a multicast receiver from changing an RP-tree into a
global SP-tree, and also can help to reduce, on the surface, the
number of multicast sources for a particular multicast group. This
property can be effectively used for accounting, security, and
scalability enhancement required for inter-domain communication.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jibiki-iwata-msdp-idmf-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jibiki-iwata-msdp-idmf-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jibiki-iwata-msdp-idmf-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.