Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-boyle-sts-ip-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:34:10 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SONET Synchronous Transport Signal over IP
	Author(s)	: J. Boyle, C. White, J. Lawrence
	Filename	: draft-boyle-sts-ip-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 18-Jul-00
	
A proposal is made to carry Synchronous Transport Signal
(STS-N) services over packetized networks, in particular over IP
networks. This has the potential to dramatically lower the price,
ease the provisioning and grooming, and improve managability of
delivering these types of circuits.  Two proposals are put forth for
discussion on how STS services could be transported over an IP
network.  The first proposal, referred to as SPE1/IP, is to break OC-N
signals down into their STS-1 blocks, identify the SPE components and
packetize these for transmission across a packet network.  The second
proposal, referred to as STSc/IP breaks down the STS signal into the
underlying concatenated services and transports configurable length
segments of the signal to the far end of the data network.  With
either of these approaches, different STS-N services on a given port
can be connected to different ports across the network and the
network will groom them onto the most optimal path available.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boyle-sts-ip-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-boyle-sts-ip-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-boyle-sts-ip-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.