Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-yu-vpn-criteria-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:54:33 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Criteria for Evaluating VPN Implementation Mechanisms
	Author(s)	: J. Yu, L. Jou, A. Matthews, V. Srinivasan
	Filename	: draft-yu-vpn-criteria-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 13-Jul-00
	
A variety of mechanisms for implementing Virtual Private Network
(VPN) utilizing public IP network infrastructure have been proposed
in [1,2,3,4] and more may be emerging. This document attempts to
identify a set of criteria for evaluating such mechanisms. The
criteria could be used by IETF for evaluating a VPN proposal before
advancing it to standard track or by VPN Service Providers or
enterprise network administrators for choosing which mechanism to use
in order to implement their desired VPN networks. The mechanisms this
criteria addresses are exclusively for implementing IP based VPNs, as
oppose to non-IP based ones, such as Frame Relay based VPNs, etc.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yu-vpn-criteria-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-yu-vpn-criteria-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-yu-vpn-criteria-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.