Subject: RFC 2883 on SACK Extension

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:19:35 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2883

        Title:	    An Extension to the Selective Acknowledgement
                    (SACK) Option for TCP 
        Author(s):  S. Floyd, J. Mahdavi, M. Mathis, M. Podolsky
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       July 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 35794
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-floyd-sack-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2883.txt

This note defines an extension of the Selective Acknowledgement
(SACK) Option [RFC2018] for TCP.  RFC 2018 specified the use of the
SACK option for acknowledging out-of-sequence data not covered by
TCP's cumulative acknowledgement field.  This note extends RFC 2018
by specifying the use of the SACK option for acknowledging duplicate
packets.  This note suggests that when duplicate packets are
received, the first block of the SACK option field can be used to
report the sequence numbers of the packet that triggered the
acknowledgement.  This extension to the SACK option allows the TCP
sender to infer the order of packets received at the receiver,
allowing the sender to infer when it has unnecessarily retransmitted
a packet.  A TCP sender could then use this information for more
robust operation in an environment of reordered packets [BPS99], ACK
loss, packet replication, and/or early retransmit timeouts.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.