Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 06:34:17 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Issues for Megaco - Sigtran Interworking in ISDN 
                          Access Gateways
	Author(s)	: J. Bouwen, B. Van Doorselaer, M. Dekeyser
	Filename	: draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-01.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 17-Jul-00
	
This document introduces the concept of an ISDN access gateway in
the context of Megaco/H.248 and Sigtran protocols. For these ISDN
access gateways, the ISDN B channels may be controlled by the Media
Gateway Controller using megaco/H.248 while the User-to-Network
signaling running over the D channels may be relayed to the Media
Gateway Controller using either megaco/H.248 or the Sigtran
protocols.
The main issues involved are:
* Megaco/H.248 and Sigtran protocols may interwork in different ways
in ISDN access gateways, leaving room for non - interoperable
solutions;
* Megaco needs additional packages in order to support ISDN
terminations in the ISDN access gateway;
* A data service may be offered to ISDN users via the ISDN D-
channel, introducing the need to introduce a NAS package for the
D-channel.
This document addresses these issues, proposes and explains
different solutions and suggests best practice guideline for megaco
/ sigtran interworking in ISDN access gateways.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.