Subject: Protocol Action: The Name Service Search Option for DHCP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:27:52 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The Name Service Search
Option for DHCP' <draft-ietf-dhc-nsso-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) provides a
framework for passing configuration information to hosts on a TCP/IP
network. RFC 2132  allows DHCP servers to specify configuration
information for various kinds of name services to be passed to DHCP
clients.  Many clients use multiple name services and have crafted
their own conventions that allow an individual host to express the
order among the various name services with which lookups are done.
However, no search order can be specified via DHCP.  The purpose of
this document is to allow DHCP servers to specify the search order to
be used by DHCP clients.

Working Group Summary

There was strong support in the WG for this option, and no issues were
raised during last call.

Protocol Quality

This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.