Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-tomlinson-epsfw-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 06:33:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Extensible Proxy Services Framework
	Author(s)	: G. Tomlinson, H. Orman, M. Condry, J. Kempf, D. Farber
	Filename	: draft-tomlinson-epsfw-00.txt
	Pages		: 44
	Date		: 17-Jul-00
	
In today's Internet, caching proxies that intermediate between
HTTP (and increasingly streaming media) clients and servers
provide enhanced performance for Web page access. Both clients
and servers are increasingly looking to the network for
additional services that can't be provided directly on the
client or server, and Web proxies are an attractive place for
locating these services. In fact, some such services (content
assembly for advertising) are already being offered by Web
proxies for servers, but in a nonstandard way. This document
describes the problem and solution requirements for a
standardized, open and extensible service environment on
caching proxies which enables them to provide general services
that mediate, modify, and monitor object requests and
responses. It introduces an architectural framework along with
a set of core requirements necessary to design standardized
implementations for this application domain, taking into
account relevant IETF RFCs and IETF work-in-progress. The
architecture and requirements described here are mindful of
the success of end-to-end nature of Internet client/server
interactions, and the consequences of the proposed
architectural changes on end-to-end semantics are discussed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tomlinson-epsfw-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-tomlinson-epsfw-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-tomlinson-epsfw-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.