Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-manet-ddm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 06:37:33 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Differential Destination Multicast (DDM) Specification
	Author(s)	: L. Ji, S. Corson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-manet-ddm-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 21-Jul-00
	
This draft describes a multicast routing protocol for mobile ad hoc
networks (MANETs).  The protocol---termed Differential Destination
Multicast (DDM)---differs from common approaches proposed for ad hoc
multicast routing in two ways.  Firstly, instead of distributing
membership control throughout the network, DDM concentrates this
authority at the data sources (i.e.  senders) thereby giving senders
knowledge of group membership.  Secondly, differentially-encoded,
variable-length destination headers are inserted in data packets
which are used in combination with unicast routing tables to forward
multicast packets towards multicast receivers.  Instead of requiring
that multicast forwarding state be stored in participating nodes,
this approach also provides the option of stateless multicasting.
Each node independently has the choice of maintaining cached
forwarding state, or requesting its upstream neighbor to insert this
state into self-routed data packets, or some combination thereof.
The protocol is best suited for use with small multicast groups
operating in dynamic networks of any size.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-ddm-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-manet-ddm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-ddm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.