Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-durham-nim-req-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 06:40:33 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Network Information Model Requirements
	Author(s)	: W. Weiss, D. Durham, A. Westerinen
	Filename	: draft-durham-nim-req-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 14-Jul-00
	
As networking technology has evolved, a diverse set of technologies 
has been deployed to manage the resulting products.  These very from 
Web based products, standard management protocols, and text scripts.  
The underlying systems to be manipulated are represented in varying 
ways including implicitly in the programmatics, with proprietary 
data descriptions, or with standardized descriptions using a range 
of technologies including MIBs, PIBs, or LDAP schemas.  The result 
is that a single application such as DHCP or Differentiated Services 
may be represented in many different inconsistent fashions.  Even 
the existing standard descriptive technologies have not been 
focussed on re-use across domains and commonality.  The situation 
would be significantly improved if there were to be a common 
representation of data (an 'information model') from which 
technology-specific data models can be derived to suit application-
specific configuration and management needs.  This would allow the 
industry to build common descriptions, resulting in consistency 
across the paradigms, and better interoperability.  Such an 
'information model' would also assist other IETF working groups by 
reducing the work needed to determine how to represent those parts 
of their technology that are already in the common model.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-durham-nim-req-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-durham-nim-req-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-durham-nim-req-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.