Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ouldbrahim-bgp-vpn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 06:43:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: BGP/VPN: VPN Information Discovery for Network-based 
                          VPNs
	Author(s)	: H. Ould-Brahim, G. Wright, B. Gleeson
	Filename	: draft-ouldbrahim-bgp-vpn-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 19-Jul-00
	
VPN information can be piggybacked into BGP to allow a network-based
VPN to auto-discover its membership and adequate information needed
before any data exchange between private sites takes place across
the backbone. Other drafts (e.g.[VPN-RFC2547]) also piggyback VPN
information onto the backbone instance of BGP. However, [VPN-
RFC2547] implicitly allows only for a single reachability mechanism
(also BGP piggybacking) and a single tunneling mechanism (MPLS).
This draft allows for the explicit indication of the reachability
modes supported (e.g. piggybacking or virtual router) and the
tunneling mechanisms supported, by a VPN device. The purpose of this
draft is to define a common VPN information protocol that can be
used for both piggybacking and virtual router schemes. It allows for
the auto-discovery of the nodes in a particular VPN, the selection
of the reachability mechanism to use, and the selection of the
tunneling protocol to use.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-bgp-vpn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ouldbrahim-bgp-vpn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-bgp-vpn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.