Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-perlman-strong-pass-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 06:32:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Strong Password-Based Authentication Using 
                          Pseudorandom Moduli
	Author(s)	: R. Perlman, C. Kaufman
	Filename	: draft-perlman-strong-pass-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 07-Jul-00
	
This document specifies a new password-based protocol that can be
used as the basis of mutual authentication, or downloading of a
private key. The only thing the client needs to know is the user's
password. The protocol is constructed such that an eavesdropper
cannot do off-line password-guessing attacks. Someone stealing the
server's database cannot directly impersonate the user, although they
can do an off-line password-guessing attack on the contents. The
protocol presented in this paper is similar in functionality, higher
in performance at the server, but lower in performance at the client,
to the extended EKE and SPEKE, and SRP schemes.  Additional
properties of this scheme are salt, no password-equivalent stored at
the server, and prevention of servers on which the user has the same
password from impersonating each other to the user. This document
gives an overview of the approach, but not wire-formats, which are
premature at this stage. The purpose of this document is to advertise
this new scheme to various groups that might be interested (CAT, for
a GSS-API mechanism, LDAP, for download of a private key).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-perlman-strong-pass-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-perlman-strong-pass-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-perlman-strong-pass-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.