Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-haripriya-ldapext-entryselect-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 10:18:19 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: EntrySelection control for LDAP modify and delete 
                          operations on multiple entries
	Author(s)	: S. Haripriya
	Filename	: draft-haripriya-ldapext-entryselect-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 07-Aug-00
	
This document defines an LDAPv3 control that can select multiple
entries in a subtree of a container entry for modification or
deletion.  This control extends the scope of the LDAPv3 modify and
delete operations as defined in [RFC 2251]. This control is useful
for modifying or deleting multiple entries on the basis of a
single selection criterion.  This may be useful for maintenance of
an LDAP directory having a large number of objects.
Example of Usage - This control can be used by client applications
who have the need to modify or delete a large number of entries in
an LDAP directory based on a selection criterion. One example of
such a usage is when two departments in an organization merge. In
this case the 'department' name or number given to a number of
employees need to change, and all the employees in a given
department are to be assigned the new 'department'. Here the
EntrySelection control can be used to select the entries to be
modified based on the 'department' value, and the modify operation
can change the 'department' value for all the selected entries to
the given value.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haripriya-ldapext-entryselect-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-haripriya-ldapext-entryselect-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-haripriya-ldapext-entryselect-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.