Subject: Protocol Action: The SIP INFO Method to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:11:20 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The SIP INFO Method'
<draft-ietf-sip-info-method-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Allison Mankin.
 
Technical Summary
 
 This document adds an extension to SIP by which SIP messages can carry
 application-specific information along the SIP processing path.  The
 messages are treated as opaque and they do not alter the state of a SIP
 session.  The document offers examples and guidelines for how the extension
 might be used.

Working Group Summary

 There is strong working group consensus to adopt the INFO method as a
 SIP component, and good consensus to do so as an extension to SIP rather
 than including INFO in the base SIP spec at this time.

Protocol Quality

 Vern Paxson reviewed the spec for the IESG.