Subject: Protocol Action: IANA Charset Registration Procedures to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:38:38 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IANA Charset Registration
Procedures' <draft-freed-charset-regist-03.txt> as a BCP. This document
replaces RFC2278 (BCP 19).

This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.  The IESG contact person is Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
MIME (RFC-2045, RFC-2046, RFC-2047, RFC-2184) and various other
Internet protocols are capable of using many different charsets. This
memo specifies the procedure on how to associate a specific name or
names with a given charset and to give an indication of whether or
not a given charset can be used in MIME text objects.

Changes since RFC 2278 is inclusion of a mapping to ISO 10646 which
is now recommended for all registered charsets. Additionaly the
registration template has been updated to include this as well as a
place to indicate whether or not the charset is suitable for use in
MIME text.

Working Group Summary

Discussions about this memo has occurred on a number of mailing
lists, including [email-masked] which is where charset issues
are discussed (as specified in this memo). There have been consensus
for this update of RFC 2278. Changes between version 01 (which was
last-called) and 03 are minor and reflect comments during last call.

Protocol Quality

This memo is reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom