Subject: WG Review: Kerberized Internet Negotiation of Keys (kink)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:03:39 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in theSecurity Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Security Area Advisor: 
     Marcus Leech  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       subscribe ietf-kink
     Archive:           www.vpnc.org/ietf-kink/
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The KINK working group is chartered to create a standards track
protocol to facilitate centralized key management for IPsec security
associations as defined in RFC 2401, as an alternative to IKE (RFC 
2409).  Participating systems will use the Kerberos architecture as
defined in RFC 1510 (and its successors) for key management. The goal
of the working group is to produce a streamlined, fast, easily
managed, and cryptographically sound protocol that does not require 
public key operations, and is compatible with existing and future 
Kerberos infrastructures.

The working group will not require changes to either IPsec (RFC 2401), 
or Kerberos (RFC 1510).