Subject: RFC 2891 on LDAP Control Extension for Server Side Sorting

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:42:26 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2891

        Title:	    LDAP Control Extension for Server Side Sorting of
                    Search Results
        Author(s):  T. Howes, M. Wahl, A. Anantha
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       August 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 15833
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ldapext-sorting-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2891.txt

This document describes two LDAPv3 control extensions for server side
sorting of search results. These controls allows a client to specify
the attribute types and matching rules a server should use when
returning the results to an LDAP search request. The controls may be
useful when the LDAP client has limited functionality or for some
other reason cannot sort the results but still needs them
sorted. Other permissible controls on search operations are not
defined in this extension. 
 
The sort controls allow a server to return a result code for the
sorting of the results that is independent of the result code returned
for the search operation. 

This document is a product of the LDAP Extension Working Group of the
IETF.  

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.