Subject: RFC 2889 on LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:39:37 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2889

        Title:	    Benchmarking Methodology for LAN Switching Devices
        Author(s):  R. Mandeville, J. Perser
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       August 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 73251
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bmwg-mswitch-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2889.txt

This document is intended to provide methodology for the benchmarking
of local area network (LAN) switching devices.  It extends the
methodology already defined for benchmarking network interconnecting
devices in RFC 2544 [3] to switching devices.
 
This RFC primarily deals with devices which switch frames at the
Medium Access Control (MAC) layer. It provides a methodology for
benchmarking switching devices, forwarding performance, congestion
control, latency, address handling and filtering. In addition to
defining the tests, this document also describes specific formats for
reporting the results of the tests.
 
A previous document, "Benchmarking Terminology for LAN Switching
Devices" [2], defined many of the terms that are used in this
document.  The terminology document SHOULD be consulted before
attempting to make use of this document.

This document is a product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited. 

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.