Subject: Call for Volunteers

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 14:30:03 -0400

Hi -

I've been selected to chair the 2000 IETF Nominations Committee,
the committee that will select this year's nominees for the IAB and
the IESG. The good news is that I don't have a vote. The bad news
is that we need to find 10 volunteers to fill this year's
NomCom. Details about the NomCom process can be found in RFC 2727.

The NomCom is the IETF's way of choosing its leadership. Typically,
half of the IAB and half of the IESG is selected each year. It is 
possible that the NomCom will have to fill more or fewer slots 
than this, due to the creation or elimination of positions by the 
IESG, resignations, transfers, etc. IESG members whose terms are
up include Fred Baker, IETF Chair; Scott Bradner, Transport; 
Randy Bush, Operations & Management; Patrik Faltstrom, Applications;
Thomas Narten, Internet; Dave Oran, Routing; and Jeff Schiller,
Security. IAB members whose terms are up include: Harald
Alvestrand, Ran Atkinson, Rob Austein, Steve Deering, Tony
Hain and Geoff Huston. 

For the NomCom to work as it should, the pool from which the volunteers are
chosen should be as large as possible. The more people who volunteer,
the better chance we have of choosing a random yet representative cross
section of the IETF population. Volunteering for the NomCom is also a
good way of serving the IETF community. So please volunteer.

NomCom members are barred from nomination during the year they serve,
even if they later resign. Therefore being selected for the 
NomCom provides complete immunity against selection for the IAB or 
IESG during that year.

People who volunteer should be sure they can the afford the time,
several hours per week for the next 4-5 months.
The task basically involves the following activities:
  - Reading candidate's statements
  - Participating in a weekly 2 hour conference call.
  - Attending the IETF meetings held during the selection process.
  - Doing several interviews.
  - Speaking to IETF participants about the candidates, the job
    requirements or the process.

All NomCom deliberations and supporting information that relates 
to specific nominees, candidates, and confirmed candidates are
confidential. The NomCom members will be exposed to confidential
information as a result of their deliberations, their interactions
with those they consult, and from those who provide requested 
supporting information. All members are expected to handle this 
information in a manner consistent with its sensitivity.

To qualify as a volunteer, a person needs to have attended 2 out
of the last 3 IETF meetings.  Anyone who meets this requirement is invited
to volunteer by emailing your name, telephone number(s), and
email address to [email-masked] no later than September 3, 2000.
Please put "NOMCOM VOLUNTEER" in the subject line.

Once the list closes, I'll provide the list to the IETF secretariat
for them to verify the eligibility of the each of the volunteers
(e.g. has attended at least 2 of the last 3 IETFs).  I will also
ask them to publish the list prior to verification for volunteers
to confirm that I actually got their email volunteering.

We will then run the selection process and announce the results 
the week of September 11, 2000. Ten (10) NomCom voting members 
will be chosen from the pool of volunteers according to the 
procedure described by Donald Eastlake in RFC 2777, "Publicly 
Verifiable Nomcom Random Selection". The source of randomness 
will be based on the shares traded number of 12 stocks 
selected by the NomCom chair.

The official shares traded numbers (denoted in 000s) 
will be drawn from the September 8, 2000 Wall Street 
Journal which reports the sales figures from the previous 
day - September 7, 2000. If trading in any of the stocks 
is suspended, then the shares traded will be assumed to 
be 0. 

Please volunteer.
Please convince your friends to volunteer.

Thank you,

Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>

STOCKS USED IN THE NOMCOM SELECTION PROCESS:

eBay, Inc. (EBAY)
Merill Lynch & Company (DJM)
Digex, Inc. (DIGX)
Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream (DRYR)
Pepsico, Inc. (PEP)
Target Corp. (TGT)
Applied Materials, Inc. (AMAT)
Norsk Hydro AS (NHY)
Colgate Palmolive Company (CL)
Maxtor Corp (MXTR)
Home Depot, Inc. (HD)