Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-cameron-tatu-bibp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 06:51:24 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Bibliographic Protocol Level 1: Link Resolution and 
                          Metapage Retrieval
	Author(s)	: R. Cameron, S. Tatu
	Filename	: draft-cameron-tatu-bibp-00.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 25-Aug-00
	
BibP (bibliographic protocol) is a proposed web-based protocol for
linking bibliographic references via Universal Serial Item Names
[USIN]. It is intended to allow linking to each bibliographic item as
a conceptual entity, independent of any particular copy or service
with respect to that item. Indeed, it is even intended to allow link-
ing to items which may not exist on-line; resolution of such a link
could yield a metapage that identifies existing print-based services
(library holdings, document delivery) for accessing the item. In this
regard, BibP is a proposed reference linking solution that seeks to
maintain integrated access to both newly published on-line items as
well as the vast body of print-based literature. This is in marked
constrast to both the DOI initiative focussing on articles as digital
objects [DOI] and the URN initiative focussed on general web
resources [RFC1737].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cameron-tatu-bibp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-cameron-tatu-bibp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-cameron-tatu-bibp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.