Subject: RFC 2888 on Secure Remote Access with L2TP

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:31:52 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2888

        Title:	    Secure Remote Access with L2TP
        Author(s):  P. Srisuresh
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       August 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 41255
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-srisuresh-secure-ra-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2888.txt

L2TP protocol is a virtual extension of PPP across IP network
infrastructure. L2TP makes possible for an access concentrator (LAC)
to be near remote clients, while allowing PPP termination server
(LNS) to be located in enterprise premises. L2TP allows an
enterprise to retain control of RADIUS data base, which is used
to control Authentication, Authorization and Accountability (AAA)
of dial-in users. The objective of this document is to extend
security characteristics of IPsec to remote access users, as they
dial-in through the Internet. This is accomplished without creating
new protocols and using the existing practices of Remote Access and
IPsec. Specifically, the document proposes three new RADIUS
parameters for use by the LNS node, acting as Secure Remote Access
Server (SRAS) to mandate network level security between remote
clients and the enterprise. The document also discusses limitations
of the approach.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.