Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lordello-ipsec-vpn-doi-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:08:16 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: VPN-ID-Enhanced IPSec-VPN DOI for ISAKMP
	Author(s)	: C. Lordello, U. Neustadter
	Filename	: draft-lordello-ipsec-vpn-doi-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 21-Aug-00
	
The IPSec DOI for ISAKMP defines identities for phase 2 exchanges
that are suitable for a flat, unique address space. On the other
hand, different VPN's cannot guarantee a non-overlapping address
space among them. Therefore when security gateways on an ISP network
negotiate IPSec SA's in the context of multiple VPN's, identifying
traffic flows for this multiplicity of VPN's become an issue. Of
course, an alternative would be to have multiple contexts of
security gateways, one for each VPN. Unfortunately that would impose
severe administrative challenges to an ISP, some of which are
described later. Another alternative and a more appealing one would
be to have a single security gateway with a single tunnel endpoint
address, a single X.509 certificate, etc., that exists in a common
context and is able to negotiate IPSec tunnels for any VPN with a
presence in the security gateway. For the later to be possible
however, it is required for this common security gateway to be able
to negotiate phase 2 SA's on behalf of each one of these VPN's with
overlapping address spaces. A second motivation for the later
approach would be to simply negotiate IPSec tunnels for each VPN as
a whole without implying any specific traffic flow. This
specification describes an extended DOI for ISAKMP which, while
inheriting the existing IPSec DOI in its entirety, defines extra
types of phase 2 identities which include a VPN-ID field as an extra
piece of tunnel identity, i.e., a qualifier for the IP addresses
selectors. The VPN-ID is defined in RFC 2685.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lordello-ipsec-vpn-doi-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lordello-ipsec-vpn-doi-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lordello-ipsec-vpn-doi-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.