Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:22:31 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Domain Name Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The DNSII Multilingual Domain Name Protocol
	Author(s)	: E. Chung, D. Leung
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnp-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 17-Aug-00
	
Historically, the DNS is capable of handling only names within the 
basic English alphanumeric character set (plus the hyphen), yet the 
standards were so elegantly and openly designed that the extension of 
the DNS into a multilingual and symbols based system proves to be 
possible with simple adjustments. 
These adjustments will be made on both the client side and the server 
side. However, DNSII works on the principal that it is preferable to 
make the transition to multilingual domain names seamless and 
transparent to the end-user. Which means initially the server, or 
more specifically, the resolver, SHOULD take the primary 
responsibility for the technical implementation of the changes 
required for a multilingual Internet. 
The DNSII protocol is designed to allow the preservation of 
interoperability, consistency and simplicity of the original DNS, 
while being expandable and flexible for the handling of any character 
or symbol used for the naming of an Internet domain. 
This draft forms the introduction of a series of draft including 
intended resolution processes and other DNSII documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.