Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mccann-mobileip-limiph-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 06:52:33 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Low Interruption Mobile IP Handoff
	Author(s)	: P. McCann, T. Hiller
	Filename	: draft-mccann-mobileip-limiph-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 14-Aug-00
	
There are currently a number of proposals for different mechanisms
intended to reduce the overhead of IP mobility management. Generally
speaking, the goal of these proposals is twofold: first, to reduce
the latency or interruption due to handoffs; and second, to reduce
the signaling load on the Mobile IP Home Agent (and Correspondent
Nodes, for the case of Mobile IPv6).  These techniques are meant to
improve the performance of real-time applications like voice or
video over IP over wireless networks.  By minimizing the period of
interruption during a handoff from one point of attachment to
another, the proposals attempt to minimize packet loss when these
events occur.  This draft argues that the best solution to this
problem is a 'transparent' one that requires no changes to the
Mobile IP clients in mobile nodes and that gives control over
routing functionality to the operator of a wireless network.  We
review some of the existing proposals and describe in detail a new
proposal that can provide for low interruption handoffs in a more
transparent manner.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mccann-mobileip-limiph-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mccann-mobileip-limiph-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mccann-mobileip-limiph-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.