Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lear-icmp-blocked-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:07:47 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: ICMP Blocked Notification
	Author(s)	: E. Lear
	Filename	: draft-lear-icmp-blocked-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 21-Aug-00
	
Since the introduction of private addresses[1] the use of NATs and 
firewalls has introduced not only inability to communicate using 
certain mechanisms, such as AH[2], ESP[3], and H.323[4], but also 
difficulty in determining the reason for the failed communication.

This document specifies methods an intermediate device such as a 
router, a firewall, or a NAT may use to inform end hosts that a 
particular type of communication is not possible.  It also 
recommends practices for both the frequency of transmission of such 
error notices, and their consumption by the end hosts.

This document is an outgrowth of the 'foglamps' discussion that 
occurred within the IETF between late 1999 and 2000, and is not the 
product of a working group.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lear-icmp-blocked-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lear-icmp-blocked-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lear-icmp-blocked-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.