Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 06:52:27 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Domain Name Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DNSII Multilingual Domain Name Resolution
	Author(s)	: E. Chung, D. Leung
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnr-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 25-Aug-00
	
The Internet-Draft for DNSII-MDNP was focused purely on discussing 
the ultimate packet protocol that is being sent around the Internet 
for multilingual domain names.  This paper complements the previous 
paper by outlining the contemplated resolution process with the DNSII 
protocol throughout the DNS name resolution process. 
The DNSII-MDNR outlines a resolution process that forms a framework 
for the resolution of multilingual domain names.  Whether the DNSII 
protocol is implemented exactly as specified in DNSII-MDNP is less 
relevant, rather it is the idea of having a multilingual packet 
identifier and the fall back process that matters.  The DNSII-MDNR 
successfully addresses the transitional issues at each node of the 
DNS resolution process providing a clear migration path and strategy 
for the deployment of a multilingual enabled DNS system.  It also 
outlines the conformance levels required for basic or complete 
implementations for applications, resolvers and name servers. 
This document also introduces a tunneling mechanism for the short-run 
to transition the system through to a truly multilingual capable name 
space.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnr-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnr-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-mdnr-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.