Subject: RFC 2893 on IPv6 Transition Mechanism

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:20:57 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2893

        Title:	    Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers
        Author(s):  R. Gilligan, E. Nordmark
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       August 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 62731
        Obsoletes:  1933

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ngtrans-mech-06.txt 

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2893.txt

This document specifies IPv4 compatibility mechanisms that can be
implemented by IPv6 hosts and routers.  These mechanisms include
providing complete implementations of both versions of the Internet
Protocol (IPv4 and IPv6), and tunneling IPv6 packets over IPv4 routing
infrastructures.  They are designed to allow IPv6 nodes to maintain
complete compatibility with IPv4, which should greatly simplify the
deployment of IPv6 in the Internet, and facilitate the eventual
transition of the entire Internet to IPv6.  This document obsoletes
RFC 1933.

This document is a product of the Next Generation Transition Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.