Subject: Protocol Action: IMAP4 ID extension to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:04:26 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IMAP4 ID extension'
<draft-showalter-imap-id-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This has been
reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
The ID extension to the IMAP4rev1 protocol allows the server and
client to exchange identification information on their implementation.

Working Group Summary

This is not the result of a working group, but has been discussed on
the [email-masked] mailing list, which is a generic list for
IMAP development. The discussion ended up in consensus.

Protocol Quality

The specification was reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom

RFC-Editor note:

The IESG asked that a section about firewalls be added to the document
and this was done (section 7). However, there was already a section on
firewalls on other aspects of firewalls (section 5). In the interest of
clarity, the IESG suggests that section 7 become the second paragraph
of section 5.