Subject: Protocol Action: Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds without Explicit Tunnels to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:06:11 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Connection of IPv6 Domains
via IPv4 Clouds without Explicit Tunnels'
<draft-ietf-ngtrans-6to4-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the Next Generation Transition Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary

 The motivation for this method is to allow isolated IPv6 domains or
 hosts, attached to an 
 IPv4 network with no native IPv6 support, to communicate with other
 IPv6 domains or hosts with minimal manual configuration.  It also
 automatically provides a globally unique IPv6 address prefix to any
 site with at least one globally unique IPv4 address, even if combined
 with an IPv4 Network Address Translator (NAT).

 It does so by specifying a mechanism for assigning a unique IPv6
 address prefix to any site that currently has at least one globally
 unique IPv4 address, and this document describes scenarios for using
 such a prefix during the co-existence phase of IPv4 to IPv6 transition.
 Effectively it treats the IPv4 network as a unicast link layer.  Note
 that this is not considered to be a long term solution and that sites
 should migrate in due course to native IPv6 prefixes.

Working Group Summary

 The working group reached consensus on this document.  There were no
 objections during any last calls.

Protocol Quality

 This document was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush.  Test
 implementations are available on BSD platforms, but not from major
 router vendors.