Subject: Protocol Action: Integrated Services in the Presence of Compressible Flows to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:53:49 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Integrated Services in the
Presence of Compressible Flows' <draft-ietf-intserv-compress-02.txt> as
a Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Integrated
Services Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin
and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
 An Integrated Services router performs admission control and resource
 allocation based, among other things,  on the information contained in
 a TSpec.  TSpecs convey information about the data rate (using a token
 bucket) and range of packet sizes of the flow in question. However,
 the TSpec may not be an accurate representation of the resources
 needed to support the reservation if the router is able to compress
 the data at the link level.  This document describes an extension to
 the TSpec which enables a sender of potentially compressible data to
 provide hints to intserv-capable routers about the compressibility
 they may obtain.  Routers which support appropriate compression can
 take advantage of the hint in their admission control decisions and
 resource allocation procedures; other routers will ignore the hint.
 An initial application of this approach is to notify routers
 performing RTP header compression that they may allocate fewer
 resources to RTP flows.

Working Group Summary

 The working group supported the publication of this specification.

Protocol Quality

 This document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.