Subject: RFC 2915 on NAPTR DNS RR

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:43:56 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2915

        Title:	    The Naming Authority Pointer (NAPTR) DNS Resource
                    Record 
        Author(s):  M. Mealling, R. Daniel
        Status:     Standards Track 
	Date:       September 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 41555
        Updates:    2168

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-urn-naptr-rr-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2915.txt

This document describes a Domain Name System (DNS) resource record
which specifies a regular expression based rewrite rule that, when
applied to an existing string, will produce a new domain label or
Uniform Resource Identifier (URI).  Depending on the value of the
flags field of the resource record, the resulting domain label or URI
may be used in subsequent queries for the Naming Authority Pointer
(NAPTR) resource records (to delegate the name lookup) or as the
output of the entire process for which this system is used (a
resolution server for URI resolution, a service URI for ENUM style
e.164 number to URI mapping, etc).
 
This allows the DNS to be used to lookup services for a wide variety
of resource names (including URIs) which are not in domain name
syntax.  Reasons for doing this range from URN Resource Discovery
Systems to moving out-of-date services to new domains.
 
This document updates the portions of RFC 2168 specifically dealing
with the definition of the NAPTR records and how other, non-URI
specific applications, might use NAPTR.

This document is a product of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group
of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.