Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-ipsec-testing-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 06:55:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Steps for IPsec Interoperability Testing
	Author(s)	: P. Hoffman, M. Richardson
	Filename	: draft-hoffman-ipsec-testing-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 12-Sep-00
	
Bringing up IPsec gateways, clients and end systems is a hard task.
There are the numerous configurations issues that occur when doing this.
Techniques for diagnosing regular nodes may not yeild understandable results when one or both nodes have network security features.

There is a further difficulty presented by the number of configuration
options presented by a typical IPsec gateway implementation, and the lack of consistent diagnostics from gateways. The network administrator, field engineers and product support staff are faced with multiple indistinguishable failure modes: is the client unable to connect because of a network outage, or because the two products have never actually tested in that scenario? Or is the naive user unaware that they are behind a network address translator?

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-ipsec-testing-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hoffman-ipsec-testing-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-ipsec-testing-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.