Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 07:00:14 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Domain Name Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DNSII Transitional Reflexive ASCII Compatible 
                          Encoding (TRACE)
	Author(s)	: E. Chung, D. Leung
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 14-Sep-00
	
ASCII Compatible Encoding (ACE) schemes should only be used as a 
transitional strategy with a well-defined way forward to the eventual 
enabling of a truly multilingual name space for the DNS. 
The previous DNSII documents surrounding multilingual domain names 
have focused on the ultimate form with the DNSII-MDNR suggesting 
possible tunneling techniques where ACE may be used.  This document 
furthers the discussion on an ACE system, which not only provides a 
pathway towards the ultimate DNSII scheme but also an interim 
solution taking care of the immediate needs. 
A reflexive CNAME process RENAME is introduced where non-ASCII 
incoming queries will be automatically CNAMEd to its ASCII 
counterpart without requiring an actual lookup.  The resolver will 
then be responsible for recursively looking up the corresponding 
translated alphanumeric name. 
This document does not attempt to create another ACE scheme, instead 
it discusses the way an ACE scheme could be used as a transition 
towards the ultimate goal of a true multilingual name on the wire.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.