Subject: Protocol Action: The Naming Authority Pointer (NAPTR) DNS Resource Record to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:46:38 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The Naming Authority Pointer
(NAPTR) DNS Resource Record' <draft-ietf-urn-naptr-rr-04.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Uniform
Resource Names Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed
abd Patrik Faltstrom.

This document updates RFC 2168.

Technical Summary

This document updates RFC 2168, and replaces all parts of RFC 2168
which have to do with the definitions of the NAPTR resource record
definition. This document further adds the flag "u" which makes it
possible to return a URI as a result of a rewrite rule.

Working Group Summary

The working agreed upon on how to move RFC 2168 forward, which
includes breaking out the definition of the actual resource record
type, the NAPTR, which is defined in RFC 2168. No issues regarding
the definitions of the NAPTR were rised on the mailing list, but
further work is needed regarding the work on RFC 2168 which talks
about URN.

Protocol Quality

The spec was reviewed for the IESG by Patrik Faltstrom.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please make two changes in section 2 (NAPTR RR Format):

From:

    Domain TTL Class Order Preference Flags Service Regexp Replacement

to:

    Domain TTL Class Type Order Preference Flags Service Regexp Replacement

and

From:

    Class
       Standard DNS meaning.[1]

to:

    Class
       Standard DNS meaning.[1]

    Type
       The Type Code[1] for NAPTR is 35.

Finally, please append the following at the end of Section 3:

                              IMPLEMENTATION NOTE

 Implementation of the regexp algorithm is dependent on the charset of
 the original string provided by the application. A charset of US-ASCII
 is assumed; specific application profiles of NAPTR may specify an
 alternate charset if appropriate.