Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-calhoun-mobileip-proactive-fa-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 06:45:59 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Foreign Agent Assisted Hand-off
	Author(s)	: P. Calhoun, T. Hiller, J. Kempf, 
                          P. McCann, C. Pairla, A. Singh, S. Thalanany
	Filename	: draft-calhoun-mobileip-proactive-fa-02.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 27-Sep-00
	
The Mobile IP protocol allows a Mobile Node to continue using the
same home address even after changing its point of attachment to the
Internet.  This provides transparency to most existing applications
that assume a fixed address and a fixed point of attachment.
However, new applications, such as voice-over-IP, have additional
real-time requirements such that a change in the point of attachment
will cause a noticeable degradation of service unless additional
steps are taken to reduce the latency of a handoff event.
This specification proposes extensions to the Mobile IP protocol that
may be used by Foreign Agents to set up a Mobile Node's visitor
entry, and forward its packets, prior to receiving a formal
Registration Request from the Mobile Node.  This enables a very rapid
establishment of service at the new point of attachment so that the
effect of the handoff on real-time applications is minimized.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-mobileip-proactive-fa-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-calhoun-mobileip-proactive-fa-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-calhoun-mobileip-proactive-fa-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.