Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lnt-avt-uxp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 06:39:29 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An RTP Payload Format for Erasure-Resilient 
                          Transmission of Progressive Multimedia Streams
	Author(s)	: M. Nguyen, G. Liebl, T. Stockhammer,
                          F. Burkert, J. Pandel, G. Baese
	Filename	: draft-lnt-avt-uxp-02.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 20-Sep-00
	
This document specifies an efficient way to ensure erasure-resilient
transmission of progressively encoded multimedia sources via RTP
using Reed-Solomon codes. The level of erasure protection can be
explicitly adapted to the importance of the respective parts in the
source stream, thus allowing a graceful degradation of application
quality with increasing packet loss rate on the network. Hence, this
type of unequal erasure protection (UXP) schemes is intended to cope
with the rapidly varying channel conditions on wireless access links
to the Internet backbone. Nevertheless, backward compatibility to
currently standardized non-progressive multimedia codecs is ensured,
since equal erasure protection (EXP) represents a subset of generic
UXP. By defining a comparably simple payload format, the proposed
scheme can be easily integrated into the existing framework for RTP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lnt-avt-uxp-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lnt-avt-uxp-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lnt-avt-uxp-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.