Subject: RFC 2909 on The MASC Protocol

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:58:55 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2909

        Title:	    The Multicast Address-Set Claim (MASC) Protocol
        Author(s):  P. Radoslavov, D. Estrin, R. Govindan, M. Handley,
                    S. Kumar, D. Thaler 
        Status:     Experimental
	Date:       September 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      56
        Characters: 127278
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-malloc-masc-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2909.txt

This document describes the Multicast Address-Set Claim (MASC)
protocol which can be used for inter-domain multicast address set
allocation.  MASC is used by a node (typically a router) to claim and
allocate one or more address prefixes to that node's domain.  While a
domain does not necessarily need to allocate an address set for hosts
in that domain to be able to allocate group addresses, allocating an
address set to the domain does ensure that inter-domain group-specific
distribution trees will be locally-rooted, and that traffic will be
sent outside the domain only when and where external receivers exist.

This document is a product of the Multicast-Address Allocation Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.