Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-failover-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:27:19 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: DHCP Failover Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Droms, K. Kinnear, M. Stapp, B. Volz,
                          S. Gonczi, G. Rabil, M. Dooley, A. Kapur
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-failover-08.txt
	Pages		: 126
	Date		: 28-Nov-00
	
DHCP [RFC 2131] allows for multiple servers to be operating on a
single network.  Some sites are interested in running multiple
servers in such a way so as to provide redundancy in case of server
failure.  In order for this to work reliably, the cooperating primary
and secondary servers must maintain a consistent database of the
lease information.  This implies that servers will need to coordinate
any and all lease activity so that this information is synchronized
in case of failover.
This document defines a protocol to provide such synchronization
between two servers.  One server is designated the 'primary' server,
the other is the 'secondary' server.  This document also describes a
way to integrate the failover protocol with the DHCP load balancing
approach.
This document is a substantial reorganization as well as a technical
and editorial revision of draft-ietf-dhc-failover-05.txt.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-failover-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-failover-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-failover-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.