Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-edns0dot5-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:14:06 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A Proposed Enhancement to the EDNS0 Version Mechanism
	Author(s)	: R. Austein, H. Alvestrand
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsext-edns0dot5-02.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 17-Nov-00
	
EDNS0 [EDNS0] specifies a general framework for extending the packet
format used by the Domain Name System protocols.  The framework
includes a simple version numbering scheme to allow the parties in a
DNS protocol exchange to determine which extension features the other
party understands.  While having the advantage of simplicity, the
version numbering scheme as specified has drawbacks:
- It provides no way to deprecate a protocol feature;
- It provides no way to deploy experimental protocol features.
This note proposes to replace the monolithic version numbering
mechanism with a mechanism for listing an explicit set of protocol
features that a particular implementation supports.  We retain
version numbering as a way of abbreviating the feature sets that we
expect to see in common use.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-edns0dot5-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dnsext-edns0dot5-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-edns0dot5-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.