Subject: RFC 2995 on Pre-SPIRITS Implementations

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:13:22 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2995

        Title:	    Pre-Spirits Implementations of PSTN-initiated
                    Services 
        Author(s):  H. Lu, Editor, I. Faynberg, J. Voelker,
                    M. Weissman, W. Zhang, S. Rhim, J. Hwang, S. Ago,
                    S. Moeenuddin, S. Hadvani, S. Nyckelgard,
                    J. Yoakum, L. Robart 
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       November 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      44
        Characters: 96427
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-spirits-implementations-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2995.txt

This document contains information relevant to the work underway in
The Services in the PSTN/IN Requesting InTernet Services (SPIRITS)
Working Group.  It describes four existing implementations of
SPIRITS-like services from Korea Telecom, Lucent Technologies, NEC,
and Telia in cooperation with Nortel Networks.  SPIRITS-like services
are those originating in the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN)
and necessitating the interactions of the Internet and PSTN.

Surveying the implementations, we can make the following
observations:
 
o  The ICW service plays the role of a benchmark service.  All four
   implementations can support ICW, with three specifically
   designed for it.
 
o  Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is used in most of the
   implementations as the base communications protocol between the PSTN
   and Internet.  (NEC's implementation is the only exception that
   uses a proprietary protocol.  Nevertheless, NEC has a plan to
   support SIP together with the extensions for SPIRITS services.)
 
o  All implementations use IN-based solutions for the PSTN part.
 
It is clear that not all pre-SPIRITS implementations inter-operate
with each other.  It is also clear that not all SIP-based
implementations inter-operate with each other given that they do not
support the same version of SIP.  It is a task of the SPIRITS Working
Group to define the inter-networking interfaces that will support
interoperation of the future implementations of SPIRITS services.

This document is a product of the Service in the PSTN/IN Requesting
InTernet Service Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.