Subject: RFC 2991 on Multipath Issues

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:00:47 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2991

        Title:	    Multipath Issues in Unicast and Multicast Next-Hop
                    Selection
        Author(s):  D. Thaler, C. Hopps
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       November 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 17796
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-thaler-multipath-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2991.txt

Various routing protocols, including Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)
and Intermediate System to Intermediate System (ISIS), explicitly
allow "Equal-Cost Multipath" (ECMP) routing.  Some router
implementations also allow equal-cost multipath usage with RIP and
other routing protocols.  The effect of multipath routing on a
forwarder is that the forwarder potentially has several next-hops for
any given destination and must use some method to choose which
next-hop should be used for a given data packet.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.