Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-celer-vpn-mcast-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:15:19 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Interworking between IP VPN and shared backbone 
                          multicast domains
	Author(s)	: A. Celer
	Filename	: draft-celer-vpn-mcast-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 17-Nov-00
	
This draft introduces an interworking function between shared backbone
multicast domain and VPN multicast domain. The architecture that 
follows is similar to Multicast Border Router functionality, however the
mapping is defined not as a mapping between two different multicast 
protocols, but two different multicast topologies the under assumption 
that the shared backbone multicast topology will be shared between VPNs 
for carrying the traffic. The main assumption made in this draft is that 
multicast packets are replicated on PE device (router) for scalability 
and performance reasons.  However, it is possible to extend the solution
and replicate packets on CE devices. The proposed mapping of addresses 
to topology solves the issue of scalability of multicast addresses to 
state knowledge in the core.  This draft also identifies three types of
multicast capabilities for the core.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-celer-vpn-mcast-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-celer-vpn-mcast-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-celer-vpn-mcast-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.