Subject: WG Review: IP over Packet Transport Rings (ipoptr)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:22:38 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the IETF.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

IP over Packet Transport Rings (ipoptr)
---------------------------------------
 
 Current Status: Proposed Working Group
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       (un)subscribe ptrings
     Archive:           TBA
Description of Working Group:
 
Enhancements to traditional bi-directional ring topologies, specifically
those under development within IEEE's 802-RPRSG (Resilient Packet Rings
Study Group), provide substantial benefits in efficiency and 
flexibility. Benefits within these MAC layer definitions include spatial 
re-use as a result of destination stripping of unicast packets and full 
utilization of both counter-rotating rings while still maintaining 
APS-like protection switching during fault situations. These Layer 2 MAC 
definitions are being developed within the IEEE and will include, among 
other things, mechanisms for Topology Discovery, Congestion Control and 
Protection Switching Reference IEEE 802-RPRSG at 
http://www.ieee802.org/rprsg/index.html).

The objective of the IETF's IPoPTR Work Group is to develop a
framework and requirements document that shows how IP can take
advantage of features being developed by the IEEE RPRSG. This work is
specifically being done in parallel with the IEEE effort so that cross
fertilization between the IEEE and IETF groups takes place while the
IEEE standard is being developed. In particular, the framework and
requirements document is intended to provide input to the IEEE RPRSG
and to help it formulate its requirements.  Specific areas of interest
from the perspective of IP include: interactions between Layer 2 and
Layer 3 functions and features such as alarm notification, fast
restoration, fast convergence, traffic engineering and QoS treatments.

The requirements and framework document will:

 - Clearly state requirements for L2-L3 interaction within these rings

 - Highlight the motivation and associated benefits

 - Define key components, Layer abstractions and partitioning

 - Document assumptions, any observations and issues

 - Formulate the mechanisms required to accomplish IP-awareness within
   these Packet Transport Rings

The WG will not address issues that are clearly within the MAC Layer
and will not develop any protocols at this time. No formal liason with
the IEEE is anticipated. It is expected that individuals will
participate directly in both groups.