Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-ecn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 06:04:42 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: TCP with ECN: The Treatment of Retransmitted Data 
                          Packets
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, K. Ramakrishnan
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-ecn-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 06-Nov-00
	
This document makes recommendations for the use of ECN with
retransmitted data packets, for an ECN-capable TCP connection.  This
document supplements RFC 2481 [RFC2481], which did not address the
issue of retransmitted data packets.  This document recommends that
for ECN-capable TCP implementations, the ECT bit (ECN-Capable
Transport) in the IP header SHOULD NOT be set on retransmitted data
packets, and that the TCP data receiver SHOULD ignore the ECN field
on arriving data packets that are outside of the receiver's current
window.  This is for greater security against denial-of-service
attacks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-ecn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-ecn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-ecn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.