Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-alaettinoglu-isis-convergence-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:01:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Towards Milli-Second IGP Convergence
	Author(s)	: C. Alaettinoglu, V. Jacobson, H. Yu
	Filename	: draft-alaettinoglu-isis-convergence-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 22-Nov-00
	
It is possible for link-state routing protocols to converge in link
propagation time scales, that is, in tens of milliseconds. However,
current deployments of ISIS[ISIS-ISO][ISIS-IP], a link-state routing
protocol, are not anywhere near this point. In this paper, we present
some analyses of ISIS convergence by showing its behavior upon
link/router failures and repairs, and its scaling properties to
large networks, both in terms of number of nodes and links. We
then explore changes needed in the ISIS specification and implementations to reach IGP convergence in milliseconds. Our results are based on experimentation done with ISIS, but some of the findings may apply to OSPF as well.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alaettinoglu-isis-convergence-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-alaettinoglu-isis-convergence-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-alaettinoglu-isis-convergence-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.