Subject: Protocol Action: Mobile IP Vendor/Organization-Specific Extensions to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:34:17 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Mobile IP
Vendor/Organization-Specific Extensions'
<draft-ietf-mobileip-vendor-ext-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the IP Routing for Wireless/Mobile Hosts
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are David Oran and Rob
Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
The vendor/organization specific extension I-D specifies two new
extensions to the Mobile IP protocol (RFC2002). The current specification
of Mobile IP [1] does not allow for organizations and vendors
to include organization/vendor-specific information in the Mobile IP
messages. The two new extensions proposed in the I-D (Critical and
Non-Critical Vendor Specific Extensions) add this capability to Mobile
IP.

Vendors who are implementing Mobile IP in their products require the
capability of sending vendor specific information in Mobile IP
messages. These extensions are a way of enabling them to do so.

Working Group Summary

No significant or for that matter any dissent was expressed by the WG
about this I-D. Most vendors who are implementing or have
implementations welcome this capability to Mobile IP. Also the TR45.6
body in the TIA expressed support for this I-D.

Protocol Quality

The proposal in this I-D is the addition of two new extensions to
Mobile IP and not really a protocol by itself.
There are currently no known implementations of these extensions. The
extensions are intended to be specifically used by vendors for their
own needs and hence there is no question about interoperability
between implementations.

This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Dave Oran