Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kini-ospf-lsp-restoration-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 06:22:09 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) protocol extensions 
                          for Label Switched Path restoration
	Author(s)	: S. Kini, M. Kodialam, T. Lakshman, C. Villamizar
	Filename	: draft-kini-ospf-lsp-restoration-00.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 08-Nov-00
	
Traffic engineering using MPLS involves the setting up of label
switched paths (LSP) possibly with explicit routing and with
bandwidth guarantees (for label switched paths). The reliability of
these LSPs can be increased by providing a backup LSP onto which
traffic can be switched upon failure of an element in the path of the
active LSP. Backup LSPs can be routed in a way that bandwidth can be
shared between backup links of more than one active path while still
guaranteeing recoverability for a set of failures. This sharing greatly
increases the network efficiency, thereby increasing the number of LSPs
that can be carried while maintaining guarantees. Algorithms which can
route such recoverable LSPs while using only aggregate network usage 
information are being developed. To route the active LSP and the
(possibly shared) backup LSP, the topology information of the network
is needed and  this can be provided by a link state routing protocol
like OSPF. This document describes the encoding of the additional
information within the link state advertisement (LSA) of OSPF to enable
routing of shared backup paths.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kini-ospf-lsp-restoration-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kini-ospf-lsp-restoration-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kini-ospf-lsp-restoration-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.