Subject: RFC 2975 on Introduction to Accounting Management

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:24:46 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2975

        Title:	    Introduction to Accounting Management
        Author(s):  B. Aboba, J. Arkko, D. Harrington
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       October 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      54
        Characters: 129771
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-aaa-acct-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2975.txt

The field of Accounting Management is concerned with the collection of
resource consumption data for the purposes of capacity and trend
analysis, cost allocation, auditing, and billing.  This document
describes each of these problems, and discusses the issues involved in
design of modern accounting systems.
 
Since accounting applications do not have uniform security and
reliability requirements, it is not possible to devise a single
accounting protocol and set of security services that will meet all
needs.  Thus the goal of accounting management is to provide a set of
tools that can be used to meet the requirements of each application.
This document describes the currently available tools as well as the
state of the art in accounting protocol design.  A companion document,
RFC 2924, reviews the state of the art in accounting attributes and
record formats.

This document is a product of the Authentication, Authorization and
Accounting Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.