Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-vidn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:14:10 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Domain Name Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Virtually Internationalized Domain Names (VIDN)
	Author(s)	: S. Shim
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idn-vidn-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 15-Nov-00
	
This document describes a method that internationalizes existing as 
well as future domain names in English, not making any change to the 
current DNS, not requiring separate name server or resolver, and not 
creating domain names in non-English languages. Based upon the 
knowledge of transliteration between a local language and English, 
the method allows a user to use virtual domain names in the user's 
preferred local language by converting them into the corresponding 
actual domain names in English that comply with the current DNS. The 
conversion takes place automatically and transparently in the user's 
applications before DNS queries are sent. The method uses the current 
DNS as it is and meets all the requirements of internationalized 
domain names as described in Wenzel and Seng [2].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-vidn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idn-vidn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-vidn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.