Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pilc-link-arq-issues-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:13:30 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Performance Implications of Link Characteristics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Link ARQ issues for IP traffic
	Author(s)	: G. Fairhurst, L. Wood
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pilc-link-arq-issues-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 21-Nov-00
	
This document discusses use of automatic repeat request (ARQ)
procedures as an option in the design of a link protocol, and the
impact of the use of ARQ on IP traffic travelling over the link.
ARQ is described in a general way that includes its use over a wide
range of underlying physical media, including cellular wireless,
wireless LANs, RF links, and other types of bearer channel. This
document is intended to provide guidance, and to outline matters for
consideration, for designers and implementers of future link ARQ
mechanisms.
The material presented here is intended to be combined with the PILC
'Advice for Internet Subnetwork Designers' draft [DRAFTKARN00] to
provide a single document giving guidance to subnetwork designers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-link-arq-issues-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pilc-link-arq-issues-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pilc-link-arq-issues-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.