Subject: RFC 3006 on Integrated Services in Compressible Flows

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:18:47 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3006

        Title:	    Integrated Services in the Presence of
                    Compressible Flows
        Author(s):  B. Davie, S. Casner, C. Iturralde, D. Oran,
                    J. Wroclawski 
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       November 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 31588
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-intserv-compress-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3006.txt

An Integrated Services (int-serv) router performs admission control
and resource allocation based on the information contained in a TSpec
(among other things).  As currently defined, TSpecs convey information
about the data rate (using a token bucket) and range of packet sizes
of the flow in question.  However, the TSpec may not be an accurate
representation of the resources needed to support the reservation if
the router is able to compress the data at the link level.  This
specification describes an extension to the TSpec which enables a
sender of potentially compressible data to provide hints to int-serv
routers about the compressibility they may obtain.  Routers which
support appropriate compression take advantage of the hint in their
admission control decisions and resource allocation procedures; other
routers ignore the hint.  An initial application of this approach is
to notify routers performing real-time transport protocol (RTP) header
compression that they may allocate fewer resources to RTP flows.

This document is a product of the Integrated Services Working Group of
the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.