Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 05:56:28 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Eifel Algorithm for TCP
	Author(s)	: L. Reiner
	Filename	: draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 20-Nov-00
	
TCP's intertwined error and congestion control is not robust against
spurious timeouts nor is it robust against packet re-orderings. A
packet that is delayed in the network beyond the expiration of TCP's
retransmission timer, is mistaken for a packet loss by a TCP sender.
Also, a packet that is re-ordered in the network beyond TCP's
duplicate acknowledgment threshold, is eventually mistaken for a
packet loss by a TCP sender. Both situations lead to a spurious
retransmit of the oldest outstanding segment, and an unnecessary
reduction of the congestion window at the sender. Moreover, a
spurious timeout forces the sender into a go-back-N retransmission
mode leading to spurious retransmits of all outstanding segments.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.