Subject: Protocol Action: Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Qualified Certificates Profile to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:43:31 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Internet X.509 Public Key
Infrastructure Qualified Certificates Profile'
<draft-ietf-pkix-qc-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document is
the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Schiller and Marcus Leech.

Technical Summary
 
 This document defines a profile of RFC2459 (PKIX Part I) certificates
  that have specific attributes.

  The term "Qualified Certificate" has been used by the European
  Commission to describe a certain type of certificates with specific
  relevance for European legislation.  This specification is intended to

  support this class of certificates, but its scope is not limited to
  this application.

  Within this standard the term "Qualified Certificate" is used more
  generally, describing the format for a certificate whose primary
  purpose is identifying a person with high level of assurance in public

  non-repudiation services.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group has come to consensus on this specification.

Protocol Quality

  Jeffrey I. Schiller reviewed this document for the IESG.