Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dicecco-vitcp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 05:56:57 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: VI / TCP (Internet VI)
	Author(s)	: S. DiCecco, J. Williams et al.
	Filename	: draft-dicecco-vitcp-01.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 20-Nov-00
	
The Virtual Interface (VI) architecture [VIAR] describes a high
performance design for interfacing distributed applications to 
accelerated protocol processing.  VI seeks to improve the performance 
of such applications by reducing the latency and overheads associated 
with standard communications protocol stack processing.  VI greatly 
reduces the processing overhead associated with traditional network 
architectures by providing applications a protected, directly 
accessible interface to network hardware - a Virtual Interface.

This memo describes extensions to the VI Architecture designed to 
facilitate operation over TCP/IP.  These extensions take the form of 
enhancements to the VI Provider Library API defined in the VI 
Architecture Developer's Guide [VIDG], and a 'VI Protocol' which 
supports VI functionality during operation over TCP/IP.

The extensions to the VI Architecture which support operation over
TCP/IP are intended to be fully compliant with the VI Architecture
[VIAR] and its associated Developer's Guide [VIDG].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dicecco-vitcp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dicecco-vitcp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dicecco-vitcp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.