Subject: WG Review: IP over Optical (ipo)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:13:35 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the IETF.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

IP over Optical (ipo)
---------------------
 
 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       (un)subscribe
     Archive:           http://www.bell-labs.com/mailing-lists/ip-optical/

Description of Working Group:
 
The advent of switched multi-channel (e.g., WDM, DWDM, OTDM) optical
networks using OXCs (Optical Cross-connects) and other optical
switching elements presents many new opportunities for improving the
performance of IP networks and supporting faster and more flexible
provisioning of IP services.  However, much needs to be specified
before interoperable products based on these technologies can be
deployed in service provider networks.  The work needed in this area
includes:

- Document the use of existing framing methods, for IP over optical
  channels, and as necessary specify additional framing methods.

- Identify and document the characteristics of the optical transport
  network that are important for selecting paths for optical
  channels, setting-up optical channels, and and tearing-down optical
  channels.

- Document the application of the common control and measurement 
  protocols to the  technology-dependent aspects of optical path setup,
  teardown, and measurement of optical channels across networks with 
  optical components.

- Document requirements for control of optical networks by
  elements outside the optical network itself.

- Document the use of IP-based protocols for the controlled
  dissemination of optical network topology, metric, and constraint 
  information. Such information can be used for inventory management, 
  path selection, and other purposes. The information to be exchanged 
  should accommodate both all optical and optical-electrical-optical 
  switching technologies.

- If a need is identified to develop new protocols or make incompatible
  modifications to existing protocols (e.g., routing and signaling 
  protocols) to accomplish the above goals, then a recharter must first 
  be approved before undertaking such work.

The IP over Optical WG will coordinate with relevant working groups 
within the IETF to leverage existing work. The WG may also generate 
requirements for other IETF WGs as needed.