Subject: RFC 2997 on Specification of Null Service Type

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:48:27 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2997

        Title:	    Specification of the Null Service Type
        Author(s):  Y. Bernet, A. Smith, B. Davie
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       November 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 25071
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-issll-nullservice-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2997.txt

In the typical Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP)/Intserv model,
applications request a specific Intserv service type and quantify the
resources required for that service.  For certain applications, the
determination of service parameters is best left to the discretion of
the network administrator.  For example, ERP applications are often
mission critical and require some form of prioritized service, but
cannot readily specify their resource requirements.  To serve such
applications, we introduce the notion of the \'Null Service'.  The
Null Service allows applications to identify themselves to network
Quality of Service (QoS) policy agents, using RSVP signaling.
However, it does not require them to specify resource requirements.
QoS policy agents in the network respond by applying QoS policies
appropriate for the application (as determined by the network
administrator).  This mode of RSVP usage is particularly applicable to
networks that combine differentiated service (diffserv) QoS mechanisms
with RSVP signaling [intdiff].  In this environment, QoS policy agents
may direct the signaled application's traffic to a particular diffserv
class of service.

This document is a product of the Integrated Services over Specific
Link Layers Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.