Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-palme-multipart-language-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:43:58 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An investigation of handling of multipart/alternative 
                          in some common mailers in November 2000
	Author(s)	: J. Palme
	Filename	: draft-palme-multipart-language-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 13-Nov-00
	
This memo describes an investigation of how some common mailers
(Eudora, Pine, Hotmail, Outlook Express, Netscape, First Class, KOM
2000) handled the use of multipart/alternative with different languages
in the different body parts.

None of the mailers handled this very well. It seems as if none of the
mailers can actually choose the part in the language preferred by the
user. Some of them displayed all language parts, some arbitrarily chose
to display only one part.

The study compares different methods of specifying language translation
in e-mail, but finds that no format seems to give satisfactory results
with all the tested mailers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palme-multipart-language-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-palme-multipart-language-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-palme-multipart-language-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.