Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:11:46 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The C LDAP Application Program Interface
	Author(s)	: M. Smith, T. Howes, A. Herron, M. Wahl, A. Anantha
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05.txt
	Pages		: 83
	Date		: 22-Nov-00
	
This document defines a C language application program interface (API)
to the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP). This document
replaces the previous definition of this API, defined in RFC 1823,
updating it to include support for features found in version 3 of the
LDAP protocol.  New extended operation functions were added to support
LDAPv3 features such as controls.  In addition, other LDAP API changes
were made to support information hiding and thread safety.
 
The C LDAP API is designed to be powerful, yet simple to use. It defines
compatible synchronous and asynchronous interfaces to LDAP to suit a
wide variety of applications. This document gives a brief overview of
the LDAP model, then an overview of how the API is used by an applica-
tion program to obtain LDAP information.  The API calls are described in
detail, followed by appendices that provide example code demonstrating
use of the API, the namespace consumed by the API, a summary of require-
ments for API extensions, known incompatibilities with RFC 1823, and a
list of changes made since the last revision of this document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.