Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jha-optical-hdt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 05:53:12 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Hybrid Data Transport Protocol for Optical Networks
	Author(s)	: P. Jha
	Filename	: draft-jha-optical-hdt-00.txt
	Pages		: 69
	Date		: 20-Nov-00
	
Next-generation optical network configurations are increasingly
becoming a complex mix of SONET/SDH and DWDM-based direct data-over-
fiber links. As SONET/SDH networks are primarily geared for TDM
support, transporting IP/ATM packets along with PDH (Plesiochronous
Digital Hierarchy) channels (such as T1/T3/E1/E3) results in
inefficient utilization of provisioned bandwidth. In addition, hybrid
networks of ring and mesh configurations for short and long haul
LAN/MAN/WAN communications need a unified end-to-end protocol that
can seamlessly transport packets (native or otherwise) over any mix
of optical networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jha-optical-hdt-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jha-optical-hdt-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jha-optical-hdt-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.