Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-perlman-strong-cred-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:12:40 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Strong Password-Based Credentials Download Using 
                          Pseudorandom Moduli
	Author(s)	: R. Perlman, C. Kaufman, E. Rescorla
	Filename	: draft-perlman-strong-cred-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 21-Nov-00
	
In a strong password-based protocol, the only thing the client needs
to know is the user's password, and an eavesdropper, or someone
impersonating either end, cannot do off-line password-guessing
attacks.  This sort of protocol can be used for credentials download,
or for mutual authentication. Although password-based mutual
authentication protocols can be used for credentials download, they
are designed with some properties (such as not storing a password-
equivalent at the server) that are not important in a credentials-
download protocol. Therefore, a protocol designed specifically for
credentials download can be fewer messages, higher performance at the
server, and allow the server to operate in a stateless manner.
Therefore it is possible, even likely, that different protocols might
be preferable in one case (credentials download) than another.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-perlman-strong-cred-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-perlman-strong-cred-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-perlman-strong-cred-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.