Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-charny-ef-definition-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 05:52:17 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: EF PHB Redefined
	Author(s)	: A. Charny et al.
	Filename	: draft-charny-ef-definition-01.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 29-Nov-00
	
This document proposes text aiming at providing clarification to RFC
2598. The primary motivation for this draft is that the definition
of EF PHB given in RFC 2598 does not match the intuition of the EF
PHB, and has been determined to be unimplementable in a manner
compliant with the definition. In particular, no work-conserving
scheduler, including all of the schedulers listed in the
Implementation Examples section of RFC 2598, can comply with the
definition given in that RFC.
This draft gives a rigorous definition of EF PHB which in our
opinion preserves the spirit of the EF PHB as intended by RFC 2598
while allowing a number of reasonable compliant implementations. The
document also provides implementation guidance and lists several
possible implementation examples which conform to the definition
given in this draft.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-charny-ef-definition-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-charny-ef-definition-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-charny-ef-definition-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.