Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-trostle-lwkerb-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:54:17 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Lightweight Kerberos Mechanism
	Author(s)	: J. Trostle M. Swift
	Filename	: draft-trostle-lwkerb-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 22-Nov-00
	
The Kerberos V5 protocol [RFC1510] allows network entities to 
authenticate and establish shared secret keys. Some network applications 
would benefit from a lightweight authentication mechanism with many of 
the benefits of Kerberos, but where the messages have fewer bytes than 
existing Kerberos messages. Also, we describe a protocol option that
requires only two messages to be sent and received from the client,
to support lightweight clients. This document describes a Kerberos-like 
protocol that does not use ASN.1 and is optimized for smaller messages. 
   The protocol makes use of existing Kerberos infrastructure.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-trostle-lwkerb-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-trostle-lwkerb-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-trostle-lwkerb-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.