Subject: Protocol Action: Sieve: A Mail Filtering Language to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:26:14 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Sieve: A Mail Filtering
Language' <draft-showalter-sieve-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes a language for filtering e-mail messages at
time of final delivery.  It is designed to be implementable on either
a mail client or mail server.  It is meant to be extensible, simple,
and independent of access protocol, mail architecture, and operating
system.  It is suitable for running on a mail server where users may
not be allowed to execute arbitrary programs, such as on black box
IMAP servers, as it has no variables, loops, or ability to shell out
to external programs.

Working Group Summary

Discussions about this memo has occurred on the [email-masked]
mailing list as well at several BOFs at IETF meetings.

Protocol Quality

Ned Freed has reviewed the specification for the IESG.

Note to the RFC Editor

Please remove the capitalized CAN in section 1.1; it isn't defined
in RFC 2119 and isn't used in this document.