Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-dns-role-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:44:27 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Role of the Domain Name System
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-dns-role-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 13-Nov-00
	
The original function and purpose of the DNS is reviewed, and
contrasted with some of the functions into which it is being forced
today and some of the newer demands being placed upon it or suggested
for it.  A framework for an alternative to placing these additional
stresses on the DNS is then outlined.  This document and that
framework are not a proposed solution, only a strong suggestion that
the time has come to begin thinking more broadly about the problems
we are encountering and possible approaches to solving them.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-dns-role-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-dns-role-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-dns-role-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.