Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsra-getcert-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 06:38:17 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Remote Access Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Client Certificate and Key Retrieval for IKE
	Author(s)	: S. Bellovin, R. Moskowitz
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsra-getcert-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 16-Nov-00
	
IKE was designed for use with certificates.  In a remote access
scenario, that implies that clients must possess their own
certificates.  We leverage off of work already done to fast-start
certificate use with IPsec via the Simple Certificate Enrollment
Protocol [SCEP].  We use only parts of SCEP over a client
authenticated TLS/HTTP connection to a CA.  By using TLS, the client
can trust a CA root certificate it receives, without an out-of-band
verification and the CA can perform automatic enrollment.  We replace
the out-of-band client identification process for a certificate
enrollment with a legacy authentication, like RADIUS.  Further, since
the certificates issued here are short-lived, there is no need to
support client-based revocation or rekeying.  Also, there is
typically no need for CRL support.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsra-getcert-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipsra-getcert-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsra-getcert-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.