Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bala-mpls-optical-uni-signaling-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:29:26 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Signaling Requirements at the Optical UNI
	Author(s)	: O. Aboul-Magd et al.
	Filename	: draft-bala-mpls-optical-uni-signaling-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 28-Nov-00
	
This draft considers the optical network service model referred
to as the 'domain services' model [1]. Under this model, the optical
network provides a set of well-defined services to clients (IP and
others). The signaling and routing interface between the client and
optical networks is referred to as the User-Network Interface (UNI).
This draft describes the services provided over the UNI, and the
requirements on any signaling protocol used to invoke the services.
This draft reflects ongoing work at the Optical Interworking Forum
(OIF) and the Optical Domain Service Interconnect (ODSI) coalition
on the optical UNI [2]. The relevance of this draft to the IETF is
two-fold.  First, for the signaling portion of the optical UNI,
extensions of two MPLS signaling protocols are presently under
consideration in the OIF: RSVP with TE extensions and LDP. The
objective of this draft is to guide the adaptation of these
protocols for UNI signaling. Second, to harmonize the signaling of
UNI originated lightpath requests and peer model lightpath
establishment mechanisms [1], alignment between OIF, ODSI and IETF
lightpath parameters and signaling functionality is desirable. This
draft aims to serve this purpose. The content of this draft is
expected to evolve as work progresses on the optical UNI.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bala-mpls-optical-uni-signaling-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bala-mpls-optical-uni-signaling-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bala-mpls-optical-uni-signaling-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.