Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-moriarty-ddos-mib-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 05:57:59 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DDoS Incident Handling: Management Information Base to
                          trace Incidents - Revision 1
	Author(s)	: K. Moriarty
	Filename	: draft-moriarty-ddos-mib-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 27-Nov-00
	
One of the latest trends in Internet security is the distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack.  Internet Service Providers (ISPs) need to be equipped and ready to assist in tracing these attacks with tools and procedures in place before the occurrence of a DDoS attack.   This paper proposes a proactive system as well as an SNMP based tracing mechanism that can be used by ISPs to identify the source(s) of an attack.  It is imperative that ISPs have defined quick communication methods to implore the assistance of neighboring ISPs to assist in tracking a security incident across the Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moriarty-ddos-mib-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-moriarty-ddos-mib-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-moriarty-ddos-mib-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.