Subject: Protocol Action: Tags for the Identification of Languages to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:12:35 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Tags for the Identification
of Languages' <draft-alvestrand-lang-tag-v2-05.txt> as a BCP.  This
document obsolete RFC1766s, currently a Proposed Standard.

This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned
Freed.

Technical Summary

This document describes a language tag for use in cases where it is
desired to indicate the language used in an information object, how to
register values for use in this language tag, and a construct for
matching such language tags.

Working Group Summary

A significant discussion has been held regarding "namespaces", and
input on this issue has come from UTC. UTC has the position that the
set of language codes that are needed is far larger than what is
covered by ISO codes.

Conclusion from the discussion is that namespaces should be handled and
described in a separate document, which will when it is ready update
this BCP. Discussions about these namespaces because of this continues
separately from publication of this document.

Protocol Quality

The document is reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please make the following changes in section 3:

From:

From:

When the two week period has passed, the language tag reviewer, who is
appointed by the IETF Applications Area Director, either forwards the
request to [email-masked], or rejects it because of significant
objections raised on the list.

To:

When the two week period has passed, the language tag reviewer, who is
appointed by the IETF Applications Area Director, either forwards the
request to [email-masked], or rejects it because of significant
objections raised on the list.

AND

From: 

All registered forms are available online in the directory
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/languages/

To:

All registered forms are available online at
http://www.iana.org/numbers.html under "languages".

ALSO, Please make the following change in Appendix A:

From:

The IANA registration forms for registered language codes can be found
at

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/languages/

To:

The IANA registration forms for registered language codes can be found
at http://www.iana.org/numbers.html under "languages".