Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 06:32:05 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Use of IPSEC Transport Mode for Virtual Networks
	Author(s)	: J. Touch, L. Eggert
	Filename	: draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-01.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 30-Nov-00
	
This document addresses the use of IPSEC to secure the virtual links
of an overlay network. It addresses how IPSEC tunnel mode can
conflict with dynamic routing in an overlay, due to the dependence of
both the security association (SA) and the IP tunnel encapsulation
header on the header of the incoming packet. An alternative is
proposed, where IP tunnel encapsulation occurs as a separate initial
step, followed by IPSEC transport mode on the result. The tunnel
header is determined by the source header, and the SA is determined
by the tunnel header. The result is consistent with dynamic routing
in the overlay. This document discusses this alternative, and its
impact on IPSEC.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.