Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lmk-mobileip-intercepting-update-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 06:30:24 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Intercepting Location Updates
	Author(s)	: C. Lee, G. Morrow, F. Kadri
	Filename	: draft-lmk-mobileip-intercepting-update-01.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 30-Nov-00
	
The base Mobile IP allows a host to transparently send datagrams to
mobile nodes as it would to any other nodes. Datagrams addressed to
the mobile are always routed via the Home Agent in the home network.
However, as the mobile node moves away from its home network, it may
no longer be topologically close to its home agent. Route
optimization [MIP-OPTIM] has been proposed to allow a host to send
packets to the mobile as a mobile node (MN) moves, without having to
route the packets via the home agent each time.  The mobile provides
its current address to a host (or correspondent node, CN) that it is
communicating with as it moves. The host updates the cache of the
mobile location with this new address and tunnels datagrams
(addressed to the mobile) to the current address of the mobile.
However not all correspondent nodes are capable of tunneling IP
datagrams as required by the route optimization mechanisms described
in [MIP-OPTIM]. More importantly, disclosing the current location (or
COA) of the mobile node to correspondent nodes is not always
desirable, nor is the overhead of encapsulating datagram to the MN
ideal.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lmk-mobileip-intercepting-update-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lmk-mobileip-intercepting-update-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lmk-mobileip-intercepting-update-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.