Subject: Protocol Action: Carrying Label Information in BGP-4 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 06:48:44 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Carrying Label Information in
BGP-4' <draft-ietf-mpls-bgp4-mpls-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are David Oran and Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
When BGP is used to distribute a particular route, it can be also be
used to distribute an MPLS label which is mapped to that route This
document specifies the way in which this is done.  The label mapping
information for a particular route is piggybacked in the same BGP
Update message that is used to distribute the route itself.

Working Group Summary

The working group supported this document and no issues were raised
during IETF Last-Call.

Protocol Quality

Rob Coltun has reviewed the spec for the IESG.  There are multiple
implementations of this technology.

Note to RFC Editor:

Yakpv Rekhter's contact information is not current.