Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 07:28:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Addition of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
                          to IP
	Author(s)	: K. Ramakrishnan, S. Floyd, D. Black
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-01.txt
	Pages		: 55
	Date		: 05-Jan-01
	
This document specifies the incorporation of ECN (Explicit Congestion
Notification) to TCP and IP, including ECN's use of two bits in the
IP header's DS field.  We begin by describing TCP's use of packet
drops as an indication of congestion.  Next we explain that with the
addition of active queue management (e.g., RED) to the Internet
infrastructure, where routers detect congestion before the queue
overflows, routers are no longer limited to packet drops as an
indication of congestion.  Routers can instead set the Congestion
Experienced (CE) bit in the IP header of packets from ECN-capable
transports.  We describe when the CE bit is to be set in routers, and
describe modifications needed to TCP to make it ECN-capable.
Modifications to other transport protocols (e.g., unreliable unicast
or multicast, reliable multicast, other reliable unicast transport
protocols) could be considered as those protocols are developed and
advance through the standards process.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.