Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ghani-optical-rings-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:44:06 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Architectural Framework for Automatic Protection
Provisioning In Dynamic Optical Rings
	Author(s)	: N. Ghani
	Filename	: draft-ghani-optical-rings-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 12-Jan-01
	
Given the large installed base of ring fiber-plants and the extensive 
experience operators have gained in operating SONET (SDH) ring networks, 
optical rings are becoming increasingly important.  As such, optical 
rings will play a crucial role in the migration from existing TDM-based 
SONET (SDH) architectures to more dynamic lightpath provisioning 
paradigms.  To date, various optical ring concepts have been tabled, 
proposing multi-services support and mirroring the fast protection 
switching capabilities of existing SONET (SDH) rings.  Nevertheless, 
the emerging IP-based MPL(ambda)S framework for optical networks is 
largely based upon (optical) mesh routing concepts.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ghani-optical-rings-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ghani-optical-rings-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ghani-optical-rings-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.