Subject: Protocol Action: Attribute List Extension for the Service Location Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 08:25:07 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Attribute List Extension for
the Service Location Protocol'
<draft-guttman-svrloc-attrlist-ext-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Erik
Nordmark.

Technical Summary
 
  The Service Location Protocol, Version 2 provides a mechanism for a
  service to be discovered in a single exchange of messages.  This
  exchange of messages does not presently include any of the service's
  attributes.  This document specifies a SLPv2 extension which allows
  a User Agent to request a service's attributes be included as an
  extension to Service Reply messages.  This will eliminate the need
  for multiple round trip messages for a UA to acquire all service
  information.

Working Group Summary

 This document was originally targeted as experimental, but was
 generally considered generally useful by the WG and subsequently put
 on the Standards Track.

Protocol Quality

 This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.