Subject: RFC 3032 on MPLS Label Stack Encoding

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:51:29 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3032

        Title:	    MPLS Label Stack Encoding
        Author(s):  E. Rosen, Y. Rekhter, D. Tappan, G. Fedorkow,
                    D. Farinacci, T. Li, A. Conta
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       January 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked] 
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 48314
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-label-encaps-08.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3032.txt

"Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS)" [1] requires a set of
procedures for augmenting network layer packets with "label stacks",
thereby turning them into "labeled packets".  Routers which support
MPLS are known as "Label Switching Routers", or "LSRs".  In order to
transmit a labeled packet on a particular data link, an LSR must
support an encoding technique which, given a label stack and a
network layer packet, produces a labeled packet.  This document
specifies the encoding to be used by an LSR in order to transmit
labeled packets on Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) data links, on LAN
data links, and possibly on other data links as well.  On some data
links, the label at the top of the stack may be encoded in a different
manner, but the techniques described here MUST be used to encode the
remainder of the label stack.  This document also specifies rules and
procedures for processing the various fields of the label stack
encoding.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.