Subject: Protocol Action: Autonomous System Confederations for BGP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 07:04:17 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Autonomous System Confederations for BGP'
<draft-ietf-idr-bgp-confed-rfc1965bis-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are David Oran and Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
The Border Gateway Protocol is an inter-autonomous system routing
protocol designed for TCP/IP networks.  BGP requires that all BGP
speakers within a single AS must be fully meshed.  This represents a
serious scaling problem that has been well documented in a number of
proposals.

This document describes an extension to BGP which may be used to create
a confederation of autonomous systems that is represented as a single
autonomous system to BGP peers external to the confederation, thereby
removing the "full mesh" requirement.  The intention of this extension
is to aid in policy administration and reduce the management complexity
of maintaining a large autonomous system.

This document is a revision of RFC 1965 and includes editorial changes,
clarifications and corrections based on the deployment experience with
BGP Confederations.

Working Group Summary

The working group supported this document and no issues were raised
during IETF Last-Call.

Protocol Quality

Rob Coltun has reviewed the spec for the IESG.  There are multiple
interoperable implementations.