Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 07:18:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Differentiated Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Definition of Differentiated Services Per Domain 
                          Behaviors and Rules for their Specification
	Author(s)	: K. Nichols, B. Carpenter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-02.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 02-Jan-01
	
The differentiated services framework enables quality-of-service
provisioning within a network domain by applying rules at the edges
to create traffic aggregates and coupling each of these with a
specific forwarding path treatment in the domain through use of
a codepoint in the IP header [RFC2474]. The diffserv WG has defined
the general architecture for differentiated services [RFC2475]
and has focused on the forwarding path behavior required in routers,
known as 'per-hop forwarding behaviors' (or PHBs) [RFC2474, RFC2597,
and RFC2598]. The WG has also discussed functionality required
at diffserv (DS) domain edges to select (classifiers) and condition
(e.g., policing and shaping) traffic according to the rules [RFC2475,
MODEL, MIB]. Short-term changes in the QoS goals for a DS domain
are implemented by changing only the configuration of these edge
behaviors without necessarily reconfiguring the behavior of interior
network nodes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.