Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-palme-multipart-choices-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 07:19:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The multipart/choices Content-Type
	Author(s)	: J. Palme
	Filename	: draft-palme-multipart-choices-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 02-Jan-01
	
This memo specifies that the existing MIME content-type
'multipart/alternative' should be restricted to cases where the
alternatives differ in their content-type. When the alternatives differ
in other properties than content-type, a new 'multipart/choices'
content-type is to be used instead. This is necessary, because the
present specification gives extremely bad downgrading for mailers not
supporting use of 'multipart/alternative' for other differences than
content-type. This memo also specifies a mandatory parameter to
multipart/choices. This mandatory parameter will hopefully avoid the
same problem occuring again in the future.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palme-multipart-choices-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-palme-multipart-choices-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-palme-multipart-choices-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.