Subject: RFC 3023 on XML Media Types

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:36:18 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3023

        Title:	    XML Media Types
        Author(s):  M. Murata, S. St.Laurent, D. Kohn
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       January 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      39
        Characters: 86011
        Updates:    2376

        I-D Tag:    draft-murata-xml-09.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3023.txt

This document standardizes five new media types -- text/xml,
application/xml, text/xml-external-parsed-entity,
application/xml-external-parsed-entity, and application/xml-dtd --
for use in exchanging network entities that are related to the
Extensible Markup Language (XML).  This document also standardizes a
convention (using the suffix '+xml') for naming media types outside
of these five types when those media types represent XML MIME
(Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) entities.  XML MIME entities
are currently exchanged via the HyperText Transfer Protocol on the
World Wide Web, are an integral part of the WebDAV protocol for remote
web authoring, and are expected to have utility in many domains.
 
Major differences from RFC 2376 are (1) the addition of
text/xml-external-parsed-entity,
application/xml-external-parsed-entity, and application/xml-dtd, (2)
the '+xml' suffix convention (which also updates the RFC 2048
registration process), and (3) the discussion of "utf-16le" and
"utf-16be". 

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.