Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mcpherson-vlan-ipagg-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:40:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: VLAN Aggregation for Efficient IP Address Allocation
	Author(s)	: D. McPherson, B. Dykes
	Filename	: draft-mcpherson-vlan-ipagg-02.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 15-Jan-01
	
This document introduces the concept of VLAN [802.1Q] aggregation as
it relates to IPv4 address allocation.  A mechanism is described by
which hosts that reside in the same physical switched infrastructure,
but separate virtual broadcast domains, are addressed from the same
IPv4 subnet and share a common default gateway IP address, thereby
removing the requirement of a dedicated IP subnet for each virtual
Local Area Network (LAN) or Metropolitan Area Network (MAN).
Employing such a mechanism significantly decreases IPv4 address
consumption in virtual LANs and MANs.  It may also ease
administration of IPv4 addresses within the network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcpherson-vlan-ipagg-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mcpherson-vlan-ipagg-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mcpherson-vlan-ipagg-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.