Subject: RFC 3024 on Reverse Tunneling for Mobile IP, revised

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:39:45 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3024

        Title:	    Reverse Tunneling for Mobile IP, revised
        Author(s):  G. Montenegro, Editor
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       January 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Characters: 63929
        Obsoletes:  2344

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mobileip-rfc2344-bis-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3024.txt

Mobile Internet Protocol (IP) uses tunneling from the home agent to
the mobile node's care-of address, but rarely in the reverse
direction.  Usually, a mobile node sends its packets through a router
on the foreign network, and assumes that routing is independent of
source address.  When this assumption is not true, it is convenient to
establish a topologically correct reverse tunnel from the care-of
address to the home agent.
 
This document proposes backwards-compatible extensions to Mobile
IP to support topologically correct reverse tunnels.  This
document does not attempt to solve the problems posed by
firewalls located between the home agent and the mobile node's
care-of address.
 
This document obsoletes RFC 2344.

This document is a product of the IP Routing for Wireless/Mobile Hosts
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.