Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-freeland-octrl-cons-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:44:15 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Considerations on the development of an Optical Control Plane
	Author(s)	: D. Freeland
	Filename	: draft-freeland-octrl-cons-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 12-Jan-01
	
Work on extensions to IP control protocols for reuse in the control
plane of optical transport networks has now been underway for around
a year in the MPLS and IPO groups.  Recent discussions have however
highlighted a lack of defined requirements that should be met by
candidate protocols being considered for the optical control plane.
Indeed, there have been several requests for carriers to submit
their requirements.  This draft provides one view of some (but by no
means all) of these requirements.  A protocol independent approach
is taken, and the authors recommend that the design of any
particular facet of an optical control plane should take into
account the considerations made in this document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freeland-octrl-cons-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-freeland-octrl-cons-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-freeland-octrl-cons-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.