Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-xmldsig-canonical-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:18:31 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the XML Digital Signatures Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Canonical XML Version 1.0
	Author(s)	: J. Boyer
	Filename	: draft-ietf-xmldsig-canonical-01.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 19-Jan-01
	
Any XML document is part of a set of XML documents that are logically
equivalent within an application context, but which vary in physical
representation based on syntactic changes permitted by XML 1.0 [XML]
and Namespaces in XML [Names]. This specification describes a method
for generating a physical representation, the canonical form, of an
XML document that accounts for the permissible changes. Except for
limitations regarding a few unusual cases, if two documents have the
same canonical form, then the two documents are logically equivalent
within the given application context. Note that two documents may
have differing canonical forms yet still be equivalent in a given
context based on application-specific equivalence rules for which no
generalized XML specification could account.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xmldsig-canonical-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-xmldsig-canonical-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xmldsig-canonical-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.