Subject: WG Action: IP over Resilient Packet Rings (iporpr)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:40:32 -0500

Note: This is a retransmission of the COMPLETE announcement.

A new working group has been formed in the General Area of
the IETF. For additional information, contact the Area Director
or the WG Chairs.

IP over Resilient Packet Rings (iporpr)
---------------------------------------
 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Frank Kastenholz <[email-masked]>
     Albert Herrera <[email-masked]>
 
 General Area Director(s): 
     Fred Baker  <[email-masked]>
 
 General Area Advisor: 
     Fred Baker  <[email-masked]>
 
 Technical Advisor(s):
     David Oran  <[email-masked]>
     Thomas Narten  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       subscribe ptrings
     Archive:           ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/iporpr/
 
Description of Working Group:
 
Note: this WG is one of a set of WGs that comprise the 'sub-IP'
pseudo-area that the IESG recently created. All of the sub-IP WGs
are temporarily being housed in the General Area until the IESG
decides on a final management structure for managing these
groups. The Area Directors for the following areas acting as a group
will be the Area Advisors: INT, OPS, RTG and TSV.  The name(s)
listed above under "Technical Advisor(s)" are the the responsible
Area Directors for the working group.

Resilient Packet Rings, under development within the IEEE's
802.17 RPRWG, will provide substantial enhancements in both
efficiency and flexibility over current bi-directional ring
topologies. Benefits of resilient packet rings (RPRs) will
include spatial re-use (full utilization of both counter-
rotating rings) while maintaining APS-like protection switching
during media faults. The 802.17 RPRWG may develop mechanisms
for topology discovery, congestion control, and protection
switching. Reference the IEEE 802.17 RPRWG at
http://www.ieee802.org/rprsg/index.html for further information.

In particular, the IPoRPR Working Group would produce a
requirements and framework document which will be used as input
to the IEEE RPRSG to help it formulate its requirements. Areas
which are of particular interest to the IPoRPR Working Group will
involve the layer 2 to layer 3 interaction in areas such as:

- alarm notification

- fast restoration

- fast convergence

- traffic engineering (e.g. resource availability/usage information)

- quality of service issues

This work is specifically being done in parallel with the IEEE
effort so that cross fertilization between the IEEE and IETF
groups takes place while the IEEE standard is being developed.

The requirements and framework document will:

- Clearly state requirements for L2-L3 interaction within
  these rings

- Highlight the motivation and associated benefits

- Define key components, Layer abstractions and partitioning

- Document assumptions, any observations and issues

- Formulate the mechanisms required to accomplish IP-awareness
  within these Resilient Packet Rings

The IPoRPR WG will coordinate with relevant working groups within
the IETF to leverage existing work. The WG may also generate
requirements for other IETF WGs as needed.  Additionally, the WG may
collaborate with other standards bodies and interoperability forums
engaged in IP over optical activities (e.g., including ITU-T) to
share information, minimize duplication of effort, and coordinate
activities in order to promote interoperability and serve the best
interest of the industry.

The WG will not address issues that are clearly within the MAC Layer
and will not develop any protocols at this time. No formal liaison
with the IEEE is anticipated. It is expected that individuals will
participate directly in both groups.
 
 Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Mar 01       Initial Requirements & Framework Document submitted as an 
                Internet-Draft                                                 

   Aug 01       Submit Requirements and Framework Document to IESG as 
                informational                                                  

   Aug 01       Recharter or shut down