Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kunze-ark-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:58:14 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The ARK Persistent Identifier Scheme
	Author(s)	: J. Kunze
	Filename	: draft-kunze-ark-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 27-Feb-01
	
This document introduces the ARK (Archival Resource Key) scheme for
persistent naming, describes the ARK syntax, and shows how ARK
services work.  These services are defined, for now, over the HTTP
protocol, given its current reign in networked information retrieval.
The first step is to make an ARK actionable by giving it a
semantically inert (for identity comparison) hostport combination as
a prefix.  This requires discovering a Name Mapping Authority (an ARK
service provider) based on the Name Assigning Authority that created
the ARK.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kunze-ark-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kunze-ark-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kunze-ark-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.