Subject: WG ACTION: Evolution of SNMP (eos)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:09:46 -0500

A new working group has been formed in the Operations
and Management Area of the IETF. For additional
information, contact the Area Directors or the
WG Chairs.

Evolution of SNMP (eos)
-----------------------
 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Glenn Waters <[email-masked]>
     Dale Francisco <[email-masked]>
 
 Operations and Management Area Director(s): 
     Randy Bush  <[email-masked]>
     Bert Wijnen  <[email-masked]>
 
 Operations and Management Area Advisor: 
     Bert Wijnen  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       (un)subscribe
     Archive:           ftp://ops.ietf.org/pub/lists/eos*
 
Description of Working Group:
 
A small number of enhancements to the SNMP protocol would provide a
substantial improvement to the protocol in terms of utility and 
efficiency. The enhancements must fall within the existing SNMP 
architecture as defined in RFC 2571. The intent of the working group is 
to focus on enhancements that may be easily defined and implemented 
which should then promote rapid acceptance and deployment. New protocol 
operations are within the realm of acceptable enhancements that may be 
defined.

The initial work items include:

- A standards-track document defining the mechanism by which the
  capabilities of a SNMP entity may be determined. This document should
  also define the interoperability requirements of the SNMP protocol
  when extensions are present and when they are absent;

- A standards-track document defining a mechanism for efficient
  retrieval, creation, and deletion of rows in tables;

- A standards-track document defining a mechanism used to delete an 
  entire subtree of managed object instances. This could, for example, 
  be used to remove all information related to a particular username in 
  the SNMP administrative framework;

- A standards-track document defining a mechanism to provide for
  compression of object identifiers to remove as much redundant 
  information as possible in the payload of the SNMP message; and,

- A standards-track document defining a mechanism for bulk transfer of 
  SNMP data.

Some of the documents may be combined if the working group so decides.

No additional work items may be taken on by the working group until this
initial set of work is close to completion. Additional work will have to 
be approved by the IESG and the IAB.
 
 Goals and Milestones: 
 
   Jan 01       Working group chartered                                        

   Feb 01       First revisions of the documents                               

   Apr 01       Second revisions of the documents                              

   Jun 01       Third revisions of the documents                               

   Sep 01       Last set of revisions of all documents                         

   Sep 01       WG Last Call for all documents and submit then to AD for 
                consideration as Proposed Standard                             

   Oct 01       Shutdown or re-charter