Subject: RFC 3069 on VLAN Aggregation for IP Address Allocation

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:56:57 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3069

        Title:	    VLAN Aggregation for Efficient IP Address
                    Allocation 
        Author(s):  D. McPherson, B. Dykes
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       February 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked] 
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 14891
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-mcpherson-vlan-ipagg-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3069.txt

This document introduces the concept of Virtual Local Area Network
(VLAN) aggregation as it relates to IPv4 address allocation.
A mechanism is described by which hosts that reside in the same
physical switched infrastructure, but separate virtual broadcast
domains, are addressed from the same IPv4 subnet and share a common
default gateway IP address, thereby removing the requirement of a
dedicated IP subnet for each virtual Local Area Network (LAN) or
Metropolitan Area Network (MAN).
 
Employing such a mechanism significantly decreases IPv4 address
consumption in virtual LANs and MANs.  It may also ease
administration of IPv4 addresses within the network.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.