Subject: Please Welcome the Incoming IESG and IAB

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:51:00 -0500

The 2000 IETF Nominations Committee has now completed its 
work; the IAB has approved the IESG recommendations, and 
the ISOC has approved the IAB recommendations. Please join 
us in welcoming the incoming members of the IESG and IAB:

IESG 

Harald Alvestrand     IETF Chair
Scott Bradner          Transport
Randy Bush             Operations & Management
Patrik Faltstrom       Applications
Thomas Narten         Internet
Abha Ahuja             Routing
Jeff Schiller            Security

IAB  

Ran Atkinson
Rob Austein
Fred Baker
Steve Deering
Sally Floyd
Geoff Huston

A word of thanks

This year we have had extraordinary participation at all 
points in the nomcom process, and so I would like to thank
the IETF community for doing your part in helping the nomcom 
select the incoming members of the IESG and IAB. 

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who volunteered to 
participate in this year's nominations committee (more than 
100 of you!). 

I'd also like to thank the members of the 2000 nominations 
committee, who volunteered to participate in the weekly 1-hour 
conference calls, which eventually became twice weekly 3.5 hour 
conference calls. This year's nomcom, as with previous nomcoms, 
observed both the letter and spirit of RFC 2727. Many thanks.

The IETF community was extremely generous this year in sending 
us your thoughts on the present and future of the IETF, the 
performance of the incumbents, and suggestions for potential 
candidates for the IESG and IAB. For that we are deeply
grateful -- your guidance informed the nomcom process every 
step of the way.
 
From your responses, it is obvious that this community is 
passionate about the future of the Internet and is devoted to
seeing it thrive. 

Thanks to those who were nominated, but declined to run, for 
considering candidacy on the IAB and IESG. For many of you, who 
are qualified and have the desire to serve, but not the time, 
this was a difficult decision to make. We appreciate your 
realism and honesty.

Special thanks to those who were nominated and consented to 
candidacy. Many of you had to have difficult discussions with 
your management and family members before deciding to run. We 
appreciate your willingness to put career and family aside in 
order to serve the IETF. 

We also appreciate the effort you put into completing the 
questionairre, and in some cases a supplemental questionairre 
and interview.

It was a very gratifying to read your profound thoughts about 
the future of the Internet as well as more mundane concerns 
about the day to day management issues we face in the IETF.  

Due to the outstanding response to our call to service, we had 
many more qualified candidates than we had slots on the IESG 
and IAB. While this pays hommage to the IETF's strength as an 
organization, it also by its nature must result in disappointment
for many qualified candidates.

I hope those of you who we could not select will understand that 
the nomcom's decision does not in any way detract from your 
tremendous contributions to the Internet. We hope that your 
disappointment in this year's process will not disuade you from 
volunteering for candidacy next year, and the year after that. 
The IETF needs you. 
  
Finally, I would like to thank the incoming members of the IAB 
and IESG, who have pledged so much of their time and energy to 
the betterment of the IETF in the years ahead. We of the nomcom, 
after having spent considerable effort in the last few months 
assisting in your selection, now have a greater appreciation of
the personal sacrifices that you have made for the IETF and even 
greater respect for the role that you play. 

Our best wishes for your success in the years ahead,

The 2000 Nominations Committee

Phil Roberts <[email-masked]>
Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Perry E. Metzger <[email-masked]>
Bill Woodcock <[email-masked]>
Hadriel Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Vijay Srinivasan <[email-masked]>
Hal Sandick <[email-masked]>
David Robinson <[email-masked]>
David Allan <[email-masked]>

Non-voting members:
Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]> (Chair)
Avri Doria <[email-masked]> (Past Chair)
Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]> (IAB liason)
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]> (IESG liason)

The role of non-voting members (from RFC 2727)

The nominations committee comprises at least a non-voting Chair, 
10 voting volunteers, and 3 non-voting liaisons.  The sitting 
IAB and IESG members each appoint a non-voting liaison to the 
nominating committee from their current membership who are not 
sitting in an open position.  The Chair of the prior year's 
nominating committee also serves as a non-voting liaison.