Subject: RFC 3044 on ISSN as URN within an ISSN-URN Namespace

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:35:18 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3044

        Title:	    Using The ISSN (International Serial Standard
                    Number) as URN (Uniform Resource Names) within an
                    ISSN-URN Namespace  
        Author(s):  S. Rozenfeld
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       January 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 28094
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-rozenfeld-urn-issn-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3044.txt

This document presents how the ISSN - International Standard Serial
Number - which is a persistent number for unique identification of
serials widely recognised and used in the bibliographic world, can be
supported within the Uniform Resource Name (URN) framework as a
specific URN namespace identifier.
 
An ISSN URN resolution system using the ISSN identifier as Uniform
resource Name within an ISN URN Namespace has been developed by the
ISSN International Centre (ISSN-IC) and is operating as a demonstrator
to evaluate all requirements to deploy it in an operational
environment.
 
This proceeds from concepts and proposals developed in several IETF
RFCs emphasising the way to implement and to use "recognised" existing
numbering system within the URN framework (RFC 2248, RFC 2141, RFC
2611).

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.