Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:21:46 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Effects of ICMPv6 on IKE and IPsec Policies
	Author(s)	: J. Arkko
	Filename	: draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 09-Feb-01
	
The ICMPv6 protocol provides many functions which in IPv4 were either
non-existent or provided by lower layers. IPv6 architecture also makes
it  possible  to  secure  all IP packets using IPsec, even ICMPv6 mes-
sages.  IPsec architecture has a Security Policy Database that  speci-
fies which traffic is protected, and how. It turns out that the speci-
fication of policies in the presence of ICMPv6 traffic is hard.  Sound
looking  policies may easily lead to loops: The establishment of secu-
rity requires ICMPv6 messages  which  can't  be  sent  since  security
hasn't  been  established  yet. The purpose of this draft is to inform
system administrators and IPsec implementors in which manner they  can
handle the ICMPv6 messages. Common understanding of the way that these
messages are handled is also necessary for interoperability,  in  case
vendors hardcode such rules in to products.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-arkko-icmpv6-ike-effects-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.