Subject: RFC 3051 on IP Payload Compression Using ITU-T V.44

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:37:49 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3051

        Title:	    IP Payload Compression Using ITU-T V.44 Packet
                    Method 
        Author(s):  J. Heath, J. Border
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       January 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 15845
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-heath-ipcomp-v44-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3051.txt

This document describes a compression method based on the data
compression algorithm described in International Telecommunication
Union (ITU-T) Recommendation V.44.  Recommendation V.44 is a modem
standard but Annex B, Clause B.1, of the recommendation describes the
implementation of V.44 in packet networks (e.g., V.44 Packet Method).
This document defines the application of V.44 Packet Method to the
Internet Protocol (IP) Payload Compression Protocol (RFC 2393).
RFC 2393 defines a method for applying lossless compression to the
payload portion of IP datagrams.
 
V.44 Packet Method is based upon the LZJH data compression
algorithm.  Throughout the remainder of this document the terms V.44
Packet Method and LZJH are synonymous.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.