Subject: WG Action: IP over Resilient Packet Rings (iporpr)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:19:57 -0500

A new working group has been formed in the General Area of
the IETF. For additional information, contact the Area Director
or the WG Chairs.

IP over Resilient Packet Rings (iporpr)
---------------------------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group
 
 Chair(s):
     Frank Kastenholz <[email-masked]>
     Albert Herrera <[email-masked]>
 
 General Area Director(s): 
     Fred Baker  <[email-masked]>
 
 General Area Advisor: 
     Fred Baker  <[email-masked]>
 
 Technical Advisor(s):
     David Oran  <[email-masked]>
     Thomas Narten  <[email-masked]>
 
 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       subscribe ptrings
     Archive:           ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/iporpr/
 
Description of Working Group:
 
Note: this WG is one of a set of WGs that comprise the 'sub-IP'
pseudo-area that the IESG recently created. All of the sub-IP WGs
are temporarily being housed in the General Area until the IESG
decides on a final management structure for managing these
groups. The Area Directors for the following areas acting as a group
will be the Area Advisors: INT, OPS, RTG and TSV.  The name(s)
listed above under "Technical Advisor(s)" are the the responsible
Area Directors for the working group.

Resilient Packet Rings, under development within the IEEE's
802.17 RPRWG, will provide substantial enhancements in both
efficiency and flexibility over current bi-directional ring
topologies. Benefits of resilient packet rings (RPRs) will
include spatial re-use (full utilization of both counter-
rotating rings) while maintaining APS-like protection switching
during media faults. The 802.17 RPRWG may develop mechanisms
for topology discovery, congestion control, and protection
switching. Reference the IEEE 802.17 RPRWG at
http://www.ieee802.org/rprsg/index.html for further information.