Subject: RFC 3079 on MPPE Key Derivation

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:11:29 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3079

        Title:	    Deriving Keys for use with Microsoft
                    Point-to-Point Encryption (MPPE)
        Author(s):  G. Zorn
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       March 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 38905
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pppext-mppe-keys-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3079.txt

The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links.
 
The PPP Compression Control Protocol provides a method to negotiate
and utilize compression protocols over PPP encapsulated links.
 
Microsoft Point to Point Encryption (MPPE) is a means of representing
PPP packets in an encrypted form.  MPPE uses the RSA RC4 algorithm to
provide data confidentiality.  The length of the session key to be
used for initializing encryption tables can be negotiated.  MPPE
currently supports 40-bit, 56-bit and 128-bit session keys.  MPPE
session keys are changed frequently; the exact frequency depends upon
the options negotiated, but may be every packet.  MPPE is negotiated
within option 18 in the Compression Control Protocol.
 
This document describes the method used to derive initial MPPE session
keys from a variety of credential types.  It is expected that this
memo will be updated whenever Microsoft defines a new key derivation
method for MPPE, since its primary purpose is to provide an open,
easily accessible reference for third-parties wishing to interoperate
with Microsoft products.
 
MPPE itself (including the protocol used to negotiate its use,
the details of the encryption method used and the algorithm
used to change session keys during a session) is described in
RFC 3078.

This document is a product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.