Subject: Protocol Action: DNS Security Extension Clarification on Zone Status to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:15:28 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DNS Security Extension
Clarification on Zone Status' <draft-ietf-dnsext-zone-status-05.txt> as
a Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the DNS
Extensions Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark
and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
 The document presents rge definition of a secured zone, clarifying and 
 updating sections of RFC 2535. RFC 2535 defines a zone to be secured based
 on a per algorithm basis, e.g., a zone can be secured with RSA keys, and
 not secured with DSA keys.  This document changes this to define a
 zone to be secured or not secured regardless of the key algorithm used
 (or not used).  To further simplify the determination of a zone's
 status, "experimentally secure" status is deprecated.

Working Group Summary

 There was WG consensus to advance the document.

Protocol Quality

 The specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Erik Nordmark.