Subject: Protocol Action: DNSSEC and IPv6 A6 aware server/resolver message size requirements to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:06:32 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DNSSEC and IPv6 A6 aware
server/resolver message size requirements'
<draft-ietf-dnsext-message-size-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the DNS Extensions Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   This document mandates support for EDNS0 in DNS entities claiming to
   support either DNS Security Extensions or A6 records. This
   requirement is necessary because these new features increase the size
   of DNS messages. If EDNS0 is not supported fall back to TCP will
   happen, having a detrimental impact on query latency and DNS server
   load.  This document updates [RFC2535] and [RFC2874], by adding new
   requirements.

Working Group Summary

    There was consensus in the WG for advancing this document.

Protocol Quality

   The specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Erik Nordmark.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please add the following text at the top of page 4 (near end of Section 4):

The current text: The IPv6 datagrams should be 1024 octets, unless the
MTU of the path is known. 

Should be extended to read:

The IPv6 datagrams should be 1024 octets, unless the MTU of the path is known.
(Note that this is smaller than the minimum IPv6 MTU to allow for some 
extension headers and/or encapsulation without exceeding the minimum MTU.)