Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-aiello-dhc-appliance-class-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:52:37 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Appliance Class Identifier Option for DHCP
	Author(s)	: J. Aiello
	Filename	: draft-aiello-dhc-appliance-class-01.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 01-Mar-01
	
The Appliance Class Identifier option is used by a Dynamic Host 
Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client to identify the type of 
appliance it is.  The information contained in this option is an 
opaque field that represents the appliance class of which the client 
belongs.  Based on this class, a DHCP server selects the appropriate 
address pool to assign an address and the appropriate configuration 
parameters to the client.  The value of this option should be 
selected by the appliance manufacturer and included in the DHCP 
Discover/Request messages.  Multiple vendors may choose to use the 
same appliance class identifier for like appliances (an IP phone for 
example).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aiello-dhc-appliance-class-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-aiello-dhc-appliance-class-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-aiello-dhc-appliance-class-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.