Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-elson-opes-icap-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 07:19:44 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: ICAP the Internet Content Adaptation Protocol
	Author(s)	: J. Elson
	Filename	: draft-elson-opes-icap-01.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 28-Feb-01
	
ICAP, the Internet Content Adaptation Protocol, is part of an
evolving architecture that facilitates better distribution and
caching for the web.  ICAP is, in essence, a lightweight protocol for
executing a 'remote procedure call' on HTTP messages.  That is, it
allows ICAP clients to pass HTTP messages to ICAP servers for
'adaptation' -- some sort of transformation or other processing. The
server executes its transformation service on messages and sends back
responses to the client, usually with modified messages. The adapted
messages may be either HTTP requests or HTTP responses.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elson-opes-icap-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-elson-opes-icap-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-elson-opes-icap-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.