Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-many-ip-optical-framework-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 06:42:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IP over Optical Networks - A Framework
	Author(s)	: B. Rajagopalan, J. Luciani, D. Awduche, 
                          B. Cain, B. Jamoussi, B. Rajagopalan
	Filename	: draft-many-ip-optical-framework-03.txt
	Pages		: 37
	Date		: 05-Mar-01
	
The Internet transport infrastructure is moving towards a model of 
high-speed routers interconnected by optical core networks. A 
consensus is emerging in the industry on utilizing IP-centric 
protocols for the optical control plane [9, 10], as well as for 
dynamic bandwidth provisioning for IP services. Also, there has 
recently been significant activity in defining models for IP 
transport over optical networks, specifically, the routing and 
signaling aspects [2,6,7]. This draft attempts to define a framework 
for IP over Optical networks, considering both the IP control plane 
for optical networks as well as IP transport over optical networks 
(together referred to as 'IP over optical networks'). Within this 
framework, we develop a common set of terms and concepts which allows 
to discuss these IP over optical technologies in a consistent fashion.  
Additionally, this draft surveys some architectural frameworks that 
might be useful and appropriate for the deployment of IP over hybrid 
optical networks that contain IP routers, WDM multiplexers, and 
optical cross-connects (OXCs). This document is complementary to the 
framework of Multiprotocol Lambda Switching proposed in [2].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-many-ip-optical-framework-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-many-ip-optical-framework-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-many-ip-optical-framework-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.