Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ouldbrahim-bgpvpn-auto-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 06:44:26 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Using BGP as an Auto-Discovery Mechanism for 
                          Network-based VPNs
	Author(s)	: H. Ould-Brahim, B. Gleeson, P. Ashwood-Smith,
                          E. Rosen, Y. Rekhter
	Filename	: draft-ouldbrahim-bgpvpn-auto-01.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 02-Mar-01
	
In any Network-Based VPN (NBVPN) scheme, the Provider Edge (PE)
routers attached to a common VPN must exchange certain information
as a prerequisite to establish VPN-specific connectivity. In
[RFC2547-bis], VPN-specific routes are exchanged, along with the
information needed to enable a PE to determine which routes belong
to which VPNs. In [VPN-VR], VR addresses must be exchanged, along
with the information needed to enable the PEs to determine which VRs
are in the same VPN ('membership'), and which of those VRs are to
have VPN connectivity ('topology'). Once the VRs are reachable
through the tunnels, routes ('reachability') are then exchanged by
running existing routing protocol per VPN basis. The purpose of this
draft is to define a common BGP based auto-discovery mechanism used
for both the virtual router [VPN-VR] and [RFC2547-bis]
architectures. Each scheme uses the mechanism to automatically
discover the information needed by that particular scheme.
Interworking scenarios between [RFC2547-bis] and the virtual router
models are also discussed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-bgpvpn-auto-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ouldbrahim-bgpvpn-auto-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-bgpvpn-auto-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.