Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-pkcs1-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:31:00 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Preventing the Million Message Attack on CMS
	Author(s)	: E. Rescorla
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-pkcs1-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 29-Mar-01
	
When data is encrypted using RSA it must be padded out to the length
of the modulus--typically 512 to 2048 bits.  he most popular tech-
nique for doing this is described in [PKCS-1]. However, in 1998 Ble-
ichenbacher described an adaptive chosen ciphertext attack on SSL
[MMA]. This attack, called the Million Message Attack, allowed the
recovery of a single PKCS-1 encrypted block, provided that the
attacker could convince the receiver to act as a particular kind of
oracle.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-pkcs1-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-pkcs1-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-pkcs1-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.