Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-schulzrinne-sip-911-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:30:17 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Providing Emergency Call Services for SIP-based 
                          Internet Telephony
	Author(s)	: H. Schulzrinne
	Filename	: draft-schulzrinne-sip-911-01.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 29-Mar-01
	
If Internet Telephony is to offer a full replacement for traditional
telephone services, it needs to provide emergency call services. In
the United States, emergency calls are known as 911 services, based
on the number dialed. This note desccribes some options for providing
enhanced emergency service, i.e., emergency calls that allow
emergency response centers to determine the address where the caller
is located. This is made more difficult by the temporary nature of IP
addresses, the large number of ISPs and their lack of legal
responsibility for emergency services and the ability of many
Internet terminals to be connected to the Internet at different
locations. This note explores some of the requirements and design
choices.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schulzrinne-sip-911-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-schulzrinne-sip-911-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-schulzrinne-sip-911-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.