Subject: IETF-50 Terminal Room and Wireless

From: The IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 17:55:15 -0500

Dear IETF-50 attendees,

This message contains information regarding the terminal room and 
wireless network at the upcoming meeting March 18-23 2001 in 
Minneapolis.  

The terminal room will be located on the second floor of the 
Minneapolis Hilton. Desktops and the help desk will be located
in the Marquette/LaSalle room and laptop drops located in the 
adjacent Hennepin/Carver room. 

Wireless 802.11b coverage will be available in all IETF meeting rooms
on the third floor, in the second and third floor promenade areas,
and in the first floor lobby and bar areas. Wireless laptop cards can
be purchased at a reduced rate or borrowed for a refundable deposit 
from Lucent on a first-come-first-serve basis.  These cards can be 
reserved in advance via the Lucent host page at 
http://www.lucent-ietf.com .

Terminal room and wireless services will be available from noon on
Sunday to noon on Friday, with the help desk staffed from 8am to 8pm.

The terminal room will have 74 desktop PCs, 64 configured with 
Windows NT4 and 10 with Redhat Linux7. Windows machines will include 
Netscape Navigator and Messenger, Internet Explorer, SecureCRT 
(SSH1 and SSH2), Secure FTP (SSH2), Acrobat Reader, and Microsoft 
Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Linux Machines will include Star Office, 
Netscape Navigator and Messenger, and SSH.

Two paper printers and one transparency printer will be located in the 
desktop room and two additional paper printers located in the laptop
room.

All users will be part of the domain meeting.ietf.org, with addresses
assigned from a class B network 135.222.0.0. Wireless laptop users will
be assigned addresses from the range 135.222.64.0 - 135.222.95.255, and 
laptop room users from 135.222.32.0 - 135.222.63.255. 

DHCP will be used to assign IP addresses and other information to 
wireless and laptop room clients. For users needing a static IP address 
for wireless and/or laptop room use, they will be available at the help 
desk during staffing hours. Static addresses can also be requested 
prior to the meeting up to noon EST Friday March 16 by sending an email 
request to

    [email-masked]

Please include your name, email address, and subnet type in your
request.

A handout sheet containing configuration information details for both
DHCP and static address users will be available at the help desk and 
wireless card pickup area.