Subject: Protocol Action: Conventions for the use of the Session Description Protocol (SDP)for ATM Bearer Connections to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:54:21 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Conventions for the use of
the Session Description Protocol (SDP)for ATM Bearer Connections'
<draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-atm-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott
Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes conventions for using the Session Description
 Protocol (SDP) described in RFC 2327 for controlling ATM Bearer
 Connections, and any associated ATM Adaptation Layer (AAL). The AALs
 addressed are Type 1, Type 2 and Type 5. This list of conventions is meant
 to be exhaustive. Individual applications can use subsets of these
 conventions. Further, these conventions are meant to comply strictly with
 the SDP syntax as defined in RFC 2327.

 SDP will be used in conjunction with a connection handling /device control
 protocol such as Megaco (H.248) and SIP to communicate the information
 needed to set up ATM  and AAL2 bearer connections. These connections
 include voice connections, voiceband data connections, clear channel
 circuit emulation connections, video connections and baseband data
 connections (such as fax relay, modem relay, SSCOP, frame relay etc.).

 These conventions use standard SDP syntax as defined in RFC 2327 to
 describe the ATM-level and AAL-level connections, addresses and other
 parameters. In general, parameters associated with layers higher than the
 ATM adaptation layer are included only if they are tightly coupled to the
 ATM or AAL layers. Since the syntax conforms to RFC 2327, standard SDP
 parsers should react in a well-defined and safe manner on receiving session
 descriptions based on the SDP conventions in this document. This is done by
 extending the values of fields defined in RFC2327 rather than by defining
 new fields. This is true for all SDP lines except the of the media
 attribute lines, in which case new attributes are defined.

Working Group Summary

 There was working group consensus in support of this proposal.

Protocol Quality

 This document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.