Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rosenberg-sip-app-components-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:07:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An Application Server Component Architecture for SIP
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg, P. Mataga, H. Schulzrinne
	Filename	: draft-rosenberg-sip-app-components-01.txt
	Pages		: 39
	Date		: 09-Mar-01
	
An application server is defined as an entity that is capable of
providing advanced features to users. Examples of features include
call forwarding, call screening, debit card calling, web interactive
voice response, etc. However, the set of functions needed to enable a
broad range of such applications is quite large - it includes speech
recognition, DTMF recognition and digit collection, text-to-speech
synthesis, database interfacing, audio and video coding and decoding,
audio and video bridging and mixing, and signaling, to name a few.
Supporting such a large set of functions on the same box presents a
major challenge. To solve this problem, the industry is proposing a
decomposition of the application server into two components - a media
server that handles the media component, and an application server
that handles the call control, data, and signaling. The interface
that has been proposed between these two elements is a control
mechanism along the lines of MGCP or Megaco. In this paper, we
propose an orthogonal decomposition, which breaks an application
server into application server components. Each component represents
a application server in its own right, but it provides a well defined
component that by itself may be a complete, but simpler, application.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-app-components-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rosenberg-sip-app-components-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-app-components-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.