Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-manet-olsr-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 07:45:39 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Optimized Link State Routing Protocol
	Author(s)	: P. Jacquet, P. Muhlethaler, A. Qayyum et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-manet-olsr-04.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 06-Mar-01
	
This document describes the Optimized Link State Routing (OLSR)
protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. The protocol is an
optimization of the pure link state algorithm tailored to the
requirements of a mobile wireless LAN. The key concept used in the
protocol is that of multipoint relays (MPRs) [1] & [2]. MPRs are
the selected nodes which forward the broadcast packets during the
flooding process. This technique substantially reduces the packet
overhead as compared to pure flooding mechanism where every node
retransmits the packet when it receives the first copy of the
packet. In OLSR protocol, the information flooded in the network
'through' these multipoint relays is also 'about' the multipoint
relays. Hence, a second optimization is achieved here by minimizing
the 'contents' of the control packet flooded in the network. Hence,
as contrary to the classic link state algorithm, only a small
subset of links with the neighbor nodes are declared instead of all
the links. This information is then used by OLSR protocol for route
calculation, and therefore the routes contain only the MPRs as the
intermediate nodes from Source to Destination. It results in
providing the optimal routes (in terms of number of hops), and
hence another optimization. The protocol is particularly suitable
for the large dense networks as the technique of multipoint relays
works well in this context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-olsr-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-manet-olsr-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-olsr-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.