Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gellens-pop-err-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 06:53:22 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The SYS and AUTH POP Response Codes
	Author(s)	: R. Gellens
	Filename	: draft-gellens-pop-err-01.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 01-Mar-01
	
RFC 2449 [POP-EXT] defined extended [POP3] response codes, to give
clients more information about errors so clients can respond more
appropriately.  In addition to the mechanism, two initial response
codes were defined (IN-USE and LOGIN-DELAY), in an attempt to
differentiate between authentication failures related to user
credentials, and other errors.
In practice, these two response codes, while helpful, do not go far
enough.  This memo proposes two additional response codes:  SYS and
AUTH, which enable clients to unambiguously determine an optimal
response to an authentication failure.
 
    In addition, a new capability (AUTH-RESP-CODE) is defined.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-pop-err-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gellens-pop-err-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gellens-pop-err-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.