Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 06:58:50 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Zero Configuration Networking Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: ZeroConf Requirements
	Author(s)	: M. Hattig
	Filename	: draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-07.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 07-Mar-01
	
Many common TCP/IP protocols such as DHCP [RFC 2131], DNS [RFC 
1034, RFC 1035], MADCAP [RFC 2730], and LDAP [RFC 1487] must be 
configured and maintained by an administrative staff. This is 
unacceptable for emerging networks such as home networks, 
automobile networks, airplane networks, or adhoc networks at 
conferences, emergency relief stations, and many others. Such 
networks may be nothing more than two isolated laptop PCs 
connected via a wireless LAN. For all these networks, an 
administrative staff will not exist and the users of these 
networks neither have the time nor inclination to learn network 
administration skills. Instead, these networks need protocols that 
require zero user configuration and administration. This document 
is part of an effort to define such zero configuration (zeroconf) 
protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.