Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-boutaba-copsprmp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:57:20 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: COPS-PR with Meta-Policy Support
	Author(s)	: R. Boutaba, A. Polyrakis
	Filename	: draft-boutaba-copsprmp-00.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 13-Apr-01
	
In COPS-PR, the (clients of the) PEPs use special structures, called
Policy Information Bases (PIBs) that store the policies that are
sent by the PDPs. PIBs are well-defined structures that are not
meant to be modified to adapt to the needs of each network. This
makes COPS-PR PEPs rigid and inflexible. This document describes an
extension of the COPS-PR protocol that allows the PEPs to store
meta-policies that control the content of their PIBs. The set of
meta-policies that the PEPs can store is not predefined and
customized policies can be supported. The use of meta-policies
pushes intelligence towards the PEPs and makes them more self-
dependent. In this way, the model becomes more distributed, scalable
and fault-tolerant, while the bandwidth consumption and the (real-
time) processing load of the PDP are reduced.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boutaba-copsprmp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-boutaba-copsprmp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-boutaba-copsprmp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.