Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rmt-pi-track-security-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 06:50:18 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Security Requirements For TRACK
	Author(s)	: T. Hardjono, B. Whetten
	Filename	: draft-ietf-rmt-pi-track-security-01.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 06-Apr-01
	
This document discusses the security issues within the TRee-based 
ACKnowledgement (TRACK) reliable multicast protocol instantiation, and 
identifies some constraints and requirements for security provisions for 
this protocol.  Based on the constraints and requirements, the document 
proposes a separation of data packet confidentiality and authentication, 
from transport layer protection.  It proposes that TRACK be primarily 
concerned with group authentication of control and data packets, to 
protect against attacks on the transport infrastructure.  It proposes 
that data confidentiality and source authentication be provided 
separately from this low level group authentication, ideally at the 
application level.  We show that this is particularly important for 
TRACK, because of the requirement that the interior control nodes only 
OPTIONALLY have access to the data packet payload.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmt-pi-track-security-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rmt-pi-track-security-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmt-pi-track-security-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.