Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-nisse-secsh-srp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 07:16:24 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Using the SRP protocol as a key exchange method in 
                          Secure Shell
	Author(s)	: N. Moller
	Filename	: draft-nisse-secsh-srp-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 30-Mar-01
	
This memo describes an experimental method for authentication and
keyexchange in the Secure Shell protocol.
The main virtue of the SRP protocol [SRP] is that it provides
authentication based on a small secret (typically a password). It is
useful in situations where no authentic host key is known. For Secure
Shell, it can be used as a bootstrapping procedure to get the host
key of a server in a safe way. SRP also provides authentication of
the user, which means that it might make sense to either skip the
secsh 'ssh-userauth'-service [SSH-USERAUTH] when using SRP, or allow
login with the 'none' or 'external-keyx' method.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nisse-secsh-srp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-nisse-secsh-srp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nisse-secsh-srp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.