Subject: WG Review: Session Initiation Protocol Proposal INstiGation (sipping)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:25:51 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Transport Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Description of Working Group:
 
The Session Initiation Protocol Proposal  INstiGation (SIPPING) working
group is chartered to document the application of SIP to certain domain
tasks and to develop requirements for the changes or extensions to SIP
needed to accomplish those tasks. The SIPPING working group will 
concentrate only on frameworks, requirements, and practices related to 
SIP and its extensions, and will not specify changes or extensions to 
SIP. Guiding principles include:

1. Describe the requirements of specific tasks.

2. Look for commonalities in tasks that indicate needs for general,
   reusable functionality in SIP.

3. Describe the requirements for extensions that provide general,
   reusable functionality to SIP.

4. Describe the usage of SIP and its extensions to solve real problems
   that need to be solved in a standardized way.

The group will coordinate closely with the Session Initiation Protocol 
(SIP) working group, referring any requirement for a protocol extention 
to the SIP WG.  The group will also maintain open dialogues with the
IPTelephony (iptel) working group, whose Call Processing Language (CPL)
relates to many features of SIP; will continue to consider the 
requirements and specifications previously established by the PSTN and 
Internet Internetworking (PINT) working group; and will consider input 
from the Distributed Call Signaling (DCS) Group of the PacketCable 
Consortium for distributed telephony services and from 3GPP, 3GPP2, and 
MWIF for third-generation wireless network requirements.

The specific deliverables of the group are:

 1. sipt: Requirements and Practices for interaction with telephony 
    systems (SIP-T, Telephony Call Flows).

 2. hearing: Requirements and Practices for providing support for
    hearing impaired users.

 3. aaa: Requirements and Practices for interaction with AAA systems.

 4. H.323: Requirements and Practices for interaction with H.323
    systems.

 5. 3g: Requirements and Practices for interaction with third-generation
    wireless systems.

 6. natfriend: Requirements and Practices for making SIP a NAT-friendly
    protocol.

 7. regspec: Requirements, Practices and Registration Specifications for
    interworking with other descriptive specifications, such as MIME,
    DNS, DHCP, ENUM, etc..

 8. general: Discussion and Guidelines on the general usage of SIP.

 9. multiparty: Requirements and Practices for multiparty conferencing.

10. fax: Requirements, Practices, and Registrations Specifications for
    using SIP with FAX.

11. mwi: Requirements and Practices for Message Waiting Indicator.

12. media: Requirements and Practices for usage of SIP in media servers,
    messaging servers, conferencing servers, and similar applications.

13. regpay: Practices for Registration Payload.

14. callcontrol: Requirements for Call Control.

Other deliverables may be agreed upon during the working process. New
deliverables must be approved by the Transport Area Directors before
inclusion on the agenda.