Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mogul-http-ooo-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:04:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Support for out-of-order responses in HTTP
	Author(s)	: J. Mogul
	Filename	: draft-mogul-http-ooo-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 09-Apr-01
	
The introduction of persistent connections and pipelining
        into HTTP has resulted in potential performance benefits,
        but has also exposed the problem of head-of-line blocking.
A simple, compatible, and optional extension to HTTP to
allow a server to issue responses out of order could
significantly reduce HOL blocking.  In this extension,
clients add short ID fields to their requests, and servers
echo these IDs back in their responses.  This extension is
defined as a hop-by-hop rather than end-to-end mechanism,
so it avoids much of the complexity of the end-to-end
approach.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mogul-http-ooo-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mogul-http-ooo-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mogul-http-ooo-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.