Subject: Protocol Action: L2TP Disconnect Cause Information to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:07:22 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'L2TP Disconnect Cause
Information' <draft-ietf-l2tpext-ppp-discinfo-04.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Layer Two Tunneling
Protocol Extensions Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik
Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (``L2TP'') defines a mechanism for
   tunneling Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) sessions.  This protocol
   lacks a mechanism for an L2TP host to provide PPP-related disconnect
   cause information to another host.  This information, provided by the
   extension described in this document, can be useful for accounting
   and debugging purposes.

Working Group Summary

   There was support in the WG for this mechanism and no issues were
   raised during the Last Call.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.