Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vipin-l2tpext-failover-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 06:47:23 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Fail over extensions for L2TP
	Author(s)	: V. Jain
	Filename	: draft-vipin-l2tpext-failover-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 04-May-01
	
The Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) [1] provides a standard
method for tunneling PPP [2] packets. Because L2TP control, and
optionally data packets uses sequencing, it becomes difficult to 
preserve L2TP tunnels and sessions within, should there be a failure 
in a system. Protocol extensions are required to indicate the peer
about fail over to help failed system recover better and exhibit
more predictable behavior. This would provide resiliency in an L2TP
based network thereby improving end user's PPP connectivity. It can
also be used to provide planned shutdown of L2TP tunnels.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vipin-l2tpext-failover-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vipin-l2tpext-failover-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vipin-l2tpext-failover-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.