Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-etienne-ospfv2-auth-flaws-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:21:07 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Flaws in packet's authentication of OSPFv2
	Author(s)	: J. Etienne
	Filename	: draft-etienne-ospfv2-auth-flaws-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 09-May-01
	
OSPF is the Interior Gateway Protocol currently supported by the IETF
and is widely deployed across the internet.  The current strongest
authentication method for OSPFv2 is the cryptographic authentication
(RFC2328.D [4]) which uses shared secret key to authenticate the
packets.  This memo explains the different security flaws we found in
the anti-replay and the MACs calculation.  The second part presents
practical exploitations of these weaknesses: an attacker directly
connected to a link, can (i)   replay LSAs, (ii)  break neighborhood
and (iii) flap routes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-etienne-ospfv2-auth-flaws-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-etienne-ospfv2-auth-flaws-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-etienne-ospfv2-auth-flaws-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.