Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-etienne-ipsec-esp-secret-iv-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:06:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Secret IV and its use with ESP
	Author(s)	: J. Etienne
	Filename	: draft-etienne-ipsec-esp-secret-iv-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 24-May-01
	
This memo presents a system of secret IV for ESP, based on the
encryption of the sequence number.  It doesn't add any space overhead
in the packet and its generation can be parallelized and precomputed.
Compared to the common explicit random IV (current MUST for ESP
RFC2405.3 [5], or AES-CBC.3 [7]), it is more secure, saves bandwidth
(e.g.  8 bytes with DES/3DES and 16 bytes with AES) but requires
slightly more computation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-etienne-ipsec-esp-secret-iv-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-etienne-ipsec-esp-secret-iv-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-etienne-ipsec-esp-secret-iv-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.