Subject: Protocol Action: Layer Two Tunnelling Protocol : ATM access network extensions to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:17:42 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Layer Two Tunnelling
Protocol: ATM access network extensions'
<draft-ietf-l2tpext-atmext-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   L2TP [RFC2661] specifies a protocol for tunneling PPP packets over
   packet based networks and over IP networks in particular. L2TP
   [RFC2661] supports remote access by ISDN and PSTN networks. This
   document augments the procedures described in [RFC2661] to further
   support ATM SVC or PVC based access networks. The extensions defined
   within this document allow for asymmetric bi-directional call
   establishment and service selection in the ATM access network.

Working Group Summary

 There was consensus in the WG for advancing this document, and no
 issues were raised during Last Call.

Protocol Quality

 This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.