Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-dns-search-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 06:46:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Search-based access model for the DNS
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-dns-search-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 29-May-01
	
This memo discusses strategies for supporting 'DNS searching' --
finding of names in the DNS by a layered mechanism that permits fuzzy
matching, selection that uses attributes or facets, and use of
descriptive terms. Demand for these facilities appear to be
increasing with growth in the Internet (and especially the web) and
with requirements to move beyond the restricted subset of ASCII names
that have been the traditional contents of DNS 'Class=IN'.  This
document proposes a three-level system for access to DNS names in
which the upper two levels involve search, rather than lookup,
functions. It also discusses some of the issues and challenges in
completing the design of, and deploying, such a system.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-dns-search-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-dns-search-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-dns-search-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.