Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-penno-uid-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 06:59:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: User Identification on the Internet
	Author(s)	: R. Penno, A. de Albuquerque
	Filename	: draft-penno-uid-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 01-Jun-01
	
With the advent of Content Delivery Networks and personalized
services there is a need to uniquely identify a user in oder to
be able to offer customized services and content. Unfortunately,
the IP Internet makes personalizing content and services
difficult for the providers.

With the virtualization of Web resources and the widespread use of
proxies, an IP address no longer uniquely identifies a Web user or
destination.

So in oder to uniquely identify a user, the service provider has to
make the identification on the edge (or access) network, before the
user looses his identity in the core of the network. We present
here a overview of these techniques available on the different
types of access networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-penno-uid-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-penno-uid-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-penno-uid-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.