Subject: Protocol Action: End-to-end Performance Implications of Slow Links to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:28:36 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'End-to-end Performance
Implications of Slow Links' <draft-ietf-pilc-slow-06.txt> as a BCP.
This document is the product of the Performance Implications of Link
Characteristics Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison
Mankin and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
   This document offers performance-related recommendations for users
   of network paths that traverse "very low bit-rate" links.  The
   meaning of "very low bit-rate" is loosely those links where hosts
   can saturate available bandwidth.  These recommendations
   explicitly cover connections that traverse 56 Kb/second modem
   links or 4.8 Kb/second wireless access links - both of which are
   widely deployed.

   The recommendations do not offer any new technology, but rather give
   analysis and advice for using existing standards track RFCs, such
   as RFCs 2507 and 2509 (header compression) and RFC 3042 (limited
   transmit).

   The specification has some recommendations in common with RFC 2689,
   "Providing integrated services over low-bitrate links", especially
   in areas like header compression, but it differs from that by focusing
   focusing on traditional data applications for which "best-effort
   delivery" is appropriate and discussing performance mitigation rather
   than service support.

Working Group Summary

   The working group came to consensus for advancement of this
   specification with little difficulty.

Protocol Quality

   The specification was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.
   Many or most of the recommendations have been reported from practice.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please remove the "Changes since last draft" section prior to publication.