Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-haberman-ipngwg-auto-prefix-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 06:32:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Automatic Prefix Delegation Protocol for Internet 
                          Protocol Version 6 (IPv6)
	Author(s)	: B. Haberman, J. Martin
	Filename	: draft-haberman-ipngwg-auto-prefix-01.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 24-Jul-01
	
The expansion of the IP address space provided by IPv6 makes it both 
possible and reasonable to allocate entire subnets to environments 
that had been previously limited to a few individual IP addresses. 
Other protocols such as Neighbor Discovery and Stateless Address 
Autoconfiguration allow hosts within those subnets to be 
automatically configured. The router between this subnet and the 
upstream world requires just one more piece to make this process 
automatic, a network prefix. 
This document describes a mechanism for the automated delegation of 
an IPv6 network prefix. It allows routers to request a specific size 
prefix and inform the upstream router of the routing protocols of 
which it is capable. Upon authorizing the request the delegating 
router then returns a prefix, the desired routing protocol, and a 
lifetime for the use of the prefix.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haberman-ipngwg-auto-prefix-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-haberman-ipngwg-auto-prefix-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-haberman-ipngwg-auto-prefix-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.