Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jain-miplr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 06:33:16 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Mobile IP with Location Registers (MIP-LR)
	Author(s)	: R. Jain, J. Burns, M. Bereschinsky, C. Graff
	Filename	: draft-jain-miplr-01.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 24-Jul-01
	
This document is intended only to provide information to the Internet
community.  The Mobile IP (MIP) protocol for IP version 4 provides
continuous Internet connectivity to mobile hosts, without requiring any
changes to existing routers and higher-layer applications.  This
document describes an alternative protocol, Mobile IP with Location
Registers (MIP-LR), where the sender first queries a database, called a
Location Register, to obtain the recipients current location.  MIP-LR
is designed for operation in tactical military environments, enterprise
environments or within logical administrative domains, as it requires a
sending host to be aware which hosts implement the MIP-LR protocol.
MIP-LR gives up the transparency of MIP for several benefits in the
areas of survivability, performance and interoperability. 
MIP-LR improves survivability for situations where the mobile's home
network is particularly vulnerable (e.g. in the forward area of a
battlefield), by allowing location registers to be placed and
replicated outside the home network.  This document describes how
replicated location registers can be managed by Translation Server or
Quorum schemes.  In terms of performance, MIP-LR avoids triangle
routing and tunneling, and reduces the load on the home network as well
as the home agents.  MIP-LR provides improved interoperability with
protocols such as RSVP for providing QoS guarantees.  Finally, MIP-LR
is interoperable with MIP, such that hosts which implement only MIP can
continue to operate as expected (provided the provisions required by
MIP, such as Home and Foreign Agents, are appropriately provided)
without gaining any of the benefits of MIP-LR.  We have developed a
working version of the MIP-LR protocol running on Linux hosts.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jain-miplr-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jain-miplr-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jain-miplr-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.