Subject: Protocol Action: IP Payload Compression Protocol (IPComp) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:14:16 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IP Payload Compression
Protocol (IPComp)' <draft-shacham-ippcp-rfc2393bis-08.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the
product of an IETF Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik
Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document updates and replaces RFC 2393 "IP Payload Compression
Protocol (IPComp)". It contains minor revisions and clarifications
based on interoperability experience. This document is essentially
ready for advancement to Draft Standard. About twenty independent
IPComp implementations have been tested for interoperability at two
VPN Workshops in San Diego, CA held on September 18-22, 2000 and
January 10-14, 2000. Implementations tested included those from Check
Point, Cisco, Efficient Networks, HiFn, Indus River (Enterasys
Networks), IRE, KAME, Linux FreeS/WAN, Lucent, NetLOCK, SSH and
VPNet.

This document is recycling at Proposed Standard at this time due to a
dependency on IKE for setting up compression state. IKE (RFC 2409) is
still a Proposed Standard.

Working Group Summary

There was support for advancing this document on the mailing list of
the former WG and no issues were raised during last call.

Protocol Quality

This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.