Subject: Protocol Action: Minimal GSTN address format in Internet Mail to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:06:58 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Minimal GSTN address format
in Internet Mail' <draft-ietf-fax-minaddr-v2-04.txt> as a Draft
Standard, replacing RFC2303, a Proposed Standard.  This document is the
product of the Internet Fax Working Group.  The IESG contact persons
are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
   This memo describes a simple method of encoding GSTN addresses
   (commonly called "telephone numbers") in the local-part of Internet
   email addresses, along with an extension mechanism to allow encoding
   of additional standard attributes needed for email gateways to
   GSTN-based services. Only the minimal set of generic features that
   all agents must support is specified in this document.

   As with all Internet mail addresses, the left-hand-side (local-part)
   of an address generated according to this specification, is not to be
   interpreted except by an MTA that handles messages for the domain given
   in the right-hand-side.

   This document is an updated version of RFC 2303.

Working Group Summary

  This document is a product of the FAX Working Group of the IETF.

Protocol Summary

  Ned Freed reviewed this document for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

   As these documents are now at draft standard and RFCs 2821 and 2822 are 
   proposed standards, the references to RFCs 2821 and 2822 need to be 
   changed to refer to full standard RFCs 821 and 822.