Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rosenberg-sip-reconstitute-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:04:52 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Reconsituting Call State in SIP User Agents
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-rosenberg-sip-reconstitute-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 18-Jul-01
	
In a SIP network, call and session state resides in the user agents
at the edge of the network. These user agents can be elements such as
gateways, conferencing servers, and media servers whose availability
is important for service delivery. In order to achieve fault
tolerance for these user agents, this state must somehow be
replicated to backup servers. Traditionally, replication is done
through direct memory copies between a primary and its backup.
However, the soft-state nature of SIP re-INVITEs means that an
alternate mechanism for call state replication is possible. This
document proposes mechanisms for reconstituting call state in a UA
through triggered re-INVITEs from a peer.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-reconstitute-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rosenberg-sip-reconstitute-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sip-reconstitute-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.