Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-rxt-flag-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:53:14 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: TCP Retransmit (RXT) Flag
	Author(s)	: R. Ludwig
	Filename	: draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-rxt-flag-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 16-Jul-01
	
This document proposes a solution to TCPÆs retransmission ambiguity
problem that is based on using a single bit, named the Retransmit
(RXT) flag, taken from the Reserved field of the TCP header. The TCP
sender sets the RXT flag in segments containing retransmitted data
while the TCP receiver responds with an immediate pure ACK with the
RXT flag set. This solution effectively avoids the unnecessary go-
back-N retransmits that typically occur after a spurious timeout.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-rxt-flag-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-rxt-flag-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ludwig-tsvwg-tcp-rxt-flag-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.