Subject: 51st IETF - Host Identity Payload BOF (hip)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:37:12 -0400

Host Identity Payload BOF (hip)

Thursday, August 09 at 1300-1500
==================================

CHAIR:  Tim Shepard <[email-masked]>

Three Internet Drafts:

        draft-moskowitz-hip-??.txt
        draft-moskowitz-hip-arch-??.txt
        draft-moskowitz-hip-impl-??.txt

HIP BOF in Proceedings of the 50th IETF:

        http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/01mar/ietf50-61.htm

The HIP drafts suggest a new way of solving a few problems. By binding
upper layers such as transport or IPSEC in end systems to a
cryptographic host identity (instead of an IP address), issues
involving mobility or NAT of IPSEC-protected traffic might be more
easily addressed, and perhaps HIP's lightweight key exchange based
upon the cryptographic host identities could allow even routine
traffic to protected by IPSEC.

At the 50th IETF in Minneapolis, a BOF was held and while it was clear
that there is much interest in HIP,  it was not clear which of the
many problems that HIP might address should serve as the focus of a WG
chartered to further develop HIP.

At this BOF we will discuss what problems a HIP WG should focus on
solving, and discuss the drafting of a charter of a HIP WG.

AGENDA:

 3 min -- introduction and agenda bashing  (Tim Shepard)
 4 min -- update on HIP drafts (Robert Moskowitz)

15 min -- Presentation of key decision points and possible charters

20 min -- Discussion of above

15 min -- Try to reach concensus on decision points and/or possible charters
------
57 min  Total