Subject: WG Review: Multicast & Anycast Group Membership (magma)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:24:03 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet
Area. The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Description of Working Group:

Group management protocols are crucial to the operation of both
multicast and anycast within the Internet.  These protocols allow hosts
to inform routers of their membership status within groups. This 
working group will be responsible for developing the functionalities 
required for group membership reporting and other related actions.  This 
group will also address the initial authentication and access control 
issues associated with anycast group membership; this is likely to be 
limited to shared secrets and message authentication codes (MACs) much 
like current routing protocol security.  Other aspects of Anycast, 
including architecture and routing, are outside the groups scope.

The draft names listed below are the starting point for the work in the 
WG.

MAGMA specifications will include:

- Core IGMPv3/MLDv2 specifications.  These specifications will describe
  the protocol used between hosts and routers to share group membership
  information.  IGMPv3 and MLDv2 build on IGMPv2 and MLDv1 by adding
  two types of source-specific filtering; "include" (in which the
  system tells the router exactly which sources it desires) and 
  "exclude" (in which the system tells the router that it does *not* 
  desire a list of sources).

- IGMPv3: The IDMR working group has submitted this for Proposed 
  Standard. MAGMA takes ownership after publication as RFC.

- MLDv2: draft-vida-mld-v2-00.txt

- Multicast Source Filtering API.  This specification describes the
  API used to interact with IGMPv3 and MLDv2 to indicate source 
  filters.

- draft-ietf-idmr-msf-api-01.txt

- Host determination of network group membership.  In a multicast
  environment, systems may be interested in learning whether or not
  there are any group members, in order to save the trouble of sending
  data that nobody is listening to.

- Multicast Source Notification of Interest Protocol:
  draft-ietf-idmr-msnip-00

- Multicast forwarding in tree topologies using IGMP/MLD Proxying
  Create a single document from:

  o draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-proxy-00

  o draft-he-mixed-igmp-proxy-00

- Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) consideration document.  This work 
  will describe the use of IGMPv3/MLDv2 in an SSM environment.

- draft-holbrook-idmr-igmpv3-ssm-01.txt

- Considerations for "IGMP snooping" switches (switches that watch IGMP
  exchanges in order to determine multicast forwarding behavior)

- Multicast Router Discovery: The IDMR working group has submitted
  this for Proposed Standard. MAGMA takes ownership after publication
  as an RFC.

- Snooping Considerations: draft-ietf-idmr-snoop-00.txt

- Group management MIBs

  - update RFC 2933 for IGMPv3

  - update RFC 3019 for MLDv2

- Interaction between IGMP/MLD and routing protocols

  - draft-ietf-idmr-igmpv3-and-routing-00.txt

- Extensions to MLD supporting anycast group memberships including
  authentication and access control mechanisms

   - draft-haberman-ipngwg-host-anycast-00.txt

In addition, this working group will coordinate with other IETF working
groups where multicast and anycast group management protocols are 
utilized.