Subject: Protocol Action: DHCPv4 Configuration of IPSEC Tunnel Mode to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 10:23:59 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DHCPv4 Configuration of IPSEC
Tunnel Mode' <draft-ietf-ipsec-dhcp-13.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the IPSEC Remote Access (IPSRA) Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Schiller and Marcus
Leech.

Technical Summary
 
  This protocol provides a mechanism for IPSEC tunnel configuration using
  the existing DHCP, IKE and IPSEC protocols.  It defines a new HTYPE
  for IPSEC virtual interfaces, and describes the steps necessary to make
  DHCP work correctly and securely for IPSEC tunnel configuration.

Working Group Summary

  The competitor to this protocol, IKECFG, has been largely dismissed by
  both the IPSEC and IPSRA working groups.  There was no significant dissent
  during the LAST CALL period.  The document outlines why it is a more
  appropriate solution than IKECFG.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Marcus Leech.  At least two implementations
  are known to exist.