Subject: Protocol Action: IANA Guidelines for IPv4 Multicast Address Allocation to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:49:38 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IANA Guidelines for IPv4
Multicast Address Allocation'
<draft-ietf-mboned-iana-ipv4-mcast-guidelines-04.txt> as a BCP.  This
document is the product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 This memo expands on section 4.4.2 of RFC 2780 and attempts to codify
 existing IANA practice used in the assignment IPv4 multicast addresses.
 Due to the relatively small size of the IPv4 multicast addresses space,
 further IANA allocation of IPv4 multicast address space is not
 recommended. Specifically, the IANA should only assign addresses in those
 cases where the dynamic selection (SDP/SAP), GLOP, SSM or Administratively
 Scoped address spaces cannot be used.

Working Group Summary

 No issues were raised in working group last call.

Protocol Quality

 The document was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush.