Subject: Protocol Action: DHCP reconfigure extension to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 07:21:09 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DHCP reconfigure extension'
<draft-ietf-dhc-pv4-reconfigure-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   This draft defines extensions to DHCP [RFC 2131] to allow dynamic
   reconfiguration of a single host triggered by the DHCP server
   (e.g., a new IP address). This is achieved by introducing a unicast
   FORCERENEW message that forces the client into the RENEW state. The
   behaviour for hosts using the DHCP INFORM message to obtain
   configuration information is also described.

Working Group Summary

  There has been support for this document in the WG for sometime, and
  the document has been waiting for the DHCP authentication document
  to complete, as the FORCERENEW messages is ignored unless
  authenticated. No issues were raised during the IETF Last Call.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.