Subject: 51st IETF - IP over Bluetooth BOF (ipobt)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 14:56:58 -0400

IP over Bluetooth BOF (ipobt)

Tuesday, August 07 at 1300-1400
=================================

CHAIRS: Ron Akers <[email-masked]>
        Kulwinder Atwal <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion : <[email-masked]>
Subscribe: http://internet.motlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/bluetooth
Archive: http://internet.motlabs.com/pipermail/bluetooth/

Description of Working Group:

The use of wireless networking technology has been growing at tremendous rates in recent t
imes. One of the more promising wireless media technologies is the low-cost and low-power
Bluetooth radio technology. Bluetooth radios will be so inexpensive, and have a small enou
gh power consumption that they will be embedded in wide range of handheld devices, compute
rs, as well as appliances. These Bluetooth enabled devices could then use the radios to fo
rm ad-hoc IP data networks with multi-hop wireless links and very dynamic routing topologi
es.

If these visions come to pass, then importance of having a set of working, interoperable I
P protocols running over Bluetooth is paramount. This requires that at least some level of
 IETF involvement in the development of interoperable IP standards for Bluetooth. For exam
ple, at minimum the IETF should be responsible for the development of management MIBs.

This working group will first determine the level of IETF involvement defining requirement
s for IP over Bluetooth media. The working group will also determine the amount of IETF wo
rk required, and where in the IETF the Bluetooth IP specification work should be done.  If
 no other WGs cover the needed work domain, the work on the needed specification will be c
ompleted in IPoBT.

Phase I Objectives:

1) Develop an understanding of the workings and possible shortcomings of the currently pub
lic available solutions for the support of IP protocols over Bluetooth media. Then, for sp
ecific set of use cases document the necessary and reasonable requirements for properly ru
nning IP protocols over BT media in an Internet Draft. Possible conclusions reached in the
 Requirements ID could include recommendations for no further IETF work on standardization
 \055 excluding work on items such as MIBs, issuing a ID that contain correction/additions
 to existing specification, or issuing ID(s) on new approaches to IP support that are not
currently publicly standardized.

Phase II Objectives:

1) If there is consensus on the technical benefits of new, not yet standardized technical
approaches to IP over Bluetooth, develop a standards track Internet Draft(s) for running I
P over Bluetooth. These Draft(s) will deal with such items as:

a) Encapsulation of IP over Bluetooth MAC layer packets.
b) How to do IP address resolution over Bluetooth Media.
c) How to efficiently carry IP multicast/broadcast packets
   on Bluetooth Media.
d) How to use IP for Bluetooth on resource-limited mobile
   and stationary devices.
e) How to use IP for efficient real-time streaming on a bandwidth
   limited Bluetooth wireless connections.
f) How to use IP as a routable protocol for Bluetooth Scatternets.

AGENDA:

(10)   Introduction and Goals  - Ron Akers

(15)   Design Rational of the Bluetooth PAN Profile and Bluetooth Network Ecapsulation
       Protocol   -  Bluetooth SIG, draft-Valkenburg-fleming-BluetoothPan-00.txt

(15)  Bluetooth support for IP protocols - Kulwinder Atwal  \023
            ipoverbluetooth01.txt

(15)  Transmission of Native IPv6 over Bluetooth Wolfgang Hansmann  UofBonn
             draft-hansmann-6overbt-00.txt

(10)  Questions and followup