Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-burri-irc-continuation-message-lines-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:04:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Handling IRC continuation message lines
	Author(s)	: C. Burri
	Filename	: draft-burri-irc-continuation-message-lines-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 08-Aug-01
	
Due to the way the IRC protocol is implemented, it may occur that a
server sends incomplete messages to a client, so called continuation
message lines.
There seems to exist confusion about how to handle continuation
message lines; many implementations are broken and do not respect
them at all. Others rely on timers to complete continuation lines,
which is not recommended due to the asyncronous nature of IRC
communications.
This Memo proposes an algorithm to handle continuation lines received
from an IRC connection in such way that no timers are needed, and is
intended as a supplement to the existing RFC 1459 which describes the
Internet Relay Chat protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-burri-irc-continuation-message-lines-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-burri-irc-continuation-message-lines-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-burri-irc-continuation-message-lines-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.