Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-imapext-sort-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 07:03:11 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - SORT EXTENSION
	Author(s)	: M. Crispin, K. Murchison
	Filename	: draft-ietf-imapext-sort-07.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 16-Aug-01
	
This document describes an experimental server-based sorting
extension to the IMAP4rev1 protocol, as implemented by the University
of Washington's IMAP toolkit.  This extension provides substantial
performance improvements for IMAP clients which offer sorted views.
A server which supports this extension indicates this with a
capability name of 'SORT'.  Client implementations SHOULD accept any
capability name which begins with 'SORT' as indicating support for
the extension described in this document.  This provides for future
upwards-compatible extensions.
At the time of this document was written, the IMAP Extensions Working
Group (IETF-IMAPEXT) was considering upwards-compatible additions to
the SORT extension described in this document, tenatively called the
SORT2 extension.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-sort-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-imapext-sort-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-sort-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.