Subject: Protocol Action: RSVP-TE: Extensions to RSVP for LSP Tunnels to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:05:55 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RSVP-TE: Extensions to RSVP
for LSP Tunnels' <draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-09.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of Applicability
Statement for Extensions to RSVP for LSP-Tunnels
<draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-tunnel-applicability-02.txt> as an Informational
RFC.

These documents are the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are David Oran and Rob
Coltun.

Technical Summary

The "Extensions to RSVP for LSP tunnels" (RSVP-TE) specification was
developed by the IETF MPLS working group as a mechanism for
establishing and maintaining explicit label switched paths (LSPs) in an
MPLS network. The RSVP-TE specification extends the original RSVP
protocol by giving it new capabilities; RSVP-TE defines a set of
objects, packet formats and procedures.

Explicit LSPs are foundational to the traffic engineering application
in MPLS based IP networks. RSVP-TE is a composition of several related
proposals submitted to the IETF MPLS working group.

Working Group Summary

The working group supported this document and no issues were raised
during IETF Last-Call.

Protocol Quality

Rob Coltun has reviewed the spec for the IESG.  There are currently
multiple interoperable implementations of this spec.