Subject: OPS-NM Interim Meeting Oct 1-2

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 14:55:22 -0400

All,

At the last two IETF OPS Area Open meetings, we had some good
discussion between the OPS NM folk and some operators. We also
have had a so called OPS-NM Interim in the USA that was
co-located with NANOG in May of this year. We also called it
something like:

 Net Management Protocol Folk & Net Operators - Reality Check #2

We will have another IETF Interim Meeting for the OPS-AREA
Network Management people, this time in Europe, co-located with
the next RIPE-NCC meeting. The idea is to meet with another set
of operators to try and understand their needs and to explain to
them how we think that our NM related work in the IETF can help
them to manage their networks. In other words:

 Net Management Protocol Folk & Net Operators - Reality Check #3

We probably will have similar sessions in the future to meet
with people who operate enterprise networks, because their
requirements may be different.

We are still working on the agenda, however below you will find
a prelimenary agenda proposal.  Any suggestions should be sent
to Randy ([email-masked]) and Bert ([email-masked])

We have limited space for this meeting.

Those who plan to attend, pls send a short email to Bert Wijnen
<[email-masked]> to let us know.  Pls add a few lines as to
why you want to participate.

Bert and Randy\

-------------- OPS-NM Interim Meeting details ------------------ 

The plan is to have this meeting co-located with the next RIPE 
NCC meeting, namely RIPE 40. That means:

  Oct 1st    OPS-NM Interim from 2-5pm

  Oct 2nd    OPS-NM Interim from 9am-noon

  Oct 2-5    RIPE 40. Starts at 1:30pm on oct 2nd.

RIPE 40 and OPS-NM Interim will be in the Prague Congress Centre
in Prague, Czech Republic.

For RIPE 40 and hotel registration, pls visit: 

    http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/current/ripe-40/

There is a whole range of hotels to choose from, but it is very
hard to book, so do it now.  Those only participating in the
OPS-NM meeting are not required to pay the RIPE meeting fee.  Of
course, if you want to take the opportunity to participate in
via the web page listed above.

Those who plan to attend the OPS-NM Interim should send an email
to Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]> because we only have limited
room, and if too many people want to show up we may have to tell
some that there is no more space.

Prelimenary Agenda
------------------

  - Agenda bashing and intro

  - Summary of the current set of OPS requirements

    draft-ops-operator-req-mgmt-00.txt

    Please read this document to prepare for the meeting. If    
    this one no longer exists, then pls check for a possible
    revision 01.txt.  It is important to try and figure out if
    this also represents needs of European operators, or do they
    have different/new/additional requirements?

  - Discussion of the above.

  - Discussion of SNMP, MIBs, COPS, POLICY and such
    - how do the developers of these protocols/specs think
      that they can address operator NM requirments.
    - what do operators think about that
    - what kind of positive or negative expoerience do
      operators have

  - Operator requirements
    - what are the real hot issues to be solved this year
    - what are the constraints within which the tools have to
      work 
  - Next steps

  - Wrapup/Summary

Bert