Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-main-sane-tld-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:03:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Plea for a Sane Top-Level Domain
	Author(s)	: A. Main
	Filename	: draft-main-sane-tld-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 24-Oct-01
	
This memo examines practical problems in the use of the ICANN generic
top-level domains, in particular that they fail to provide a stable
namespace that is required by some protocols.  The practical problems
are traced to underlying problems in domain name allocation policy in
those domains.  Possible solutions to the problem are discussed,
including the possibility of a new top-level domain to be managed in
accordance with IANA assigned-numbers principles.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-main-sane-tld-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-main-sane-tld-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-main-sane-tld-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.