Subject: Protocol Action: Delta encoding in HTTP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:36:12 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Delta encoding in HTTP'
<draft-mogul-http-delta-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This has been
reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
The document specify a way for an HTTP server and client to
negotiate sending only the changed versions of a requested
instance of a resource over a HTTP connection. This is
especially interesting when a cache already have a version
of the instance, and finds that the instance have changed.

Research have shown that changes only in small parts of
instances of resources are frequent, so the ability to only
send changes would speed up the transactions.

Working Group Summary

The document is an individual submission to the IETF, but
the specification have been discussed on the mailing list
<[email-masked]> during the development of the
document.

It is noted that AT&T has filed an IPR note about this
document. See http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/AT&T-MOGUL-HTTP-DELTA.
The IPR note was filed before the Last Call ended, and no
concernes were rised from the community in regards of this
IPR notice.

Protocol Quality

The protocol was reviewed for the IESG by Patrik Faltstrom.

IANA Considerations:

Section 10.2 specifies the creation of a new registry
for instance-manipulation values.

RFC-Editor note:

Please delete section 13 at the time of publication.

Author has asked for review of References Section (15)
at time of publication. Suggestion is that this be handled
via 48 hour notice.