Subject: RFC 3170 on IP Multicast Applications

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:41:06 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3170

        Title:	    IP Multicast Applications: 
                    Challenges and Solutions 
        Author(s):  B. Quinn, K. Almeroth
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       September 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked] 
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 67207
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mboned-mcast-apps-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3170.txt

This document describes the challenges involved with designing and
implementing multicast applications.  It is an introductory guide for
application developers that highlights the unique considerations of
multicast applications as compared to unicast applications.
 
To this end, the document presents a taxonomy of multicast
application I/O models and examples of the services they can support.
It then describes the service requirements of these multicast
applications, and the recent and ongoing efforts to build protocol
solutions to support these services.

This document is a product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group of
the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.