Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-shore-friendly-midcom-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 07:13:10 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Towards a Network-friendlier Midcom
	Author(s)	: M. Shore
	Filename	: draft-shore-friendly-midcom-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 02-Oct-01
	
While IP was designed around the notion that the network would be
invisible to the applications that run on them, an increasingly
complex service environment along with the compartmentalization of
'policy' into administrative domains has led to a proliferation of
types of middleboxes for policy enforcement, and those middleboxes
are interfering with applications.  Applications now need to influ-
ence the behavior of middleboxes, but violating network layering
principles by establishing explicit communication channels from
applications to network-layer middleboxes introduces a new set of
problems related to topology and discovery as well as consequent
problems that ripple out from those.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shore-friendly-midcom-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-shore-friendly-midcom-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-shore-friendly-midcom-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.