Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mellia-tsvwg-tcp-smartframing-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:07:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: TCP Smart-Framing
	Author(s)	: M. Mellia et al.
	Filename	: draft-mellia-tsvwg-tcp-smartframing-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 26-Oct-01
	
In this document we present an enhancement to the TCP protocol, 
called TCP Smart Framing, or TCP-SF for short, that enables the Fast 
Retransmit/Recovery algorithm even when the congestion window is 
small, i.e., for short-lived flows, as most of the current Internet 
traffic is.  Without modifying the TCP congestion control based on 
the additive-increase/multiplicative-decrease paradigm, TCP-SF 
adopts a novel segmentation algorithm: while Classic TCP starts 
sending IW segments, a TCP-SF source is allowed to always send an 
initial window of 4 smaller segments, whose aggregate payload is 
equal to the connection's SMSS. This key idea can be implemented on 
top of any TCP flavor, from Tahoe to SACK, and requires 
modifications to the server behavior only.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mellia-tsvwg-tcp-smartframing-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mellia-tsvwg-tcp-smartframing-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mellia-tsvwg-tcp-smartframing-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.