Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ydlin-pim-sm-rp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:10:26 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RP Relocation Extension to PIM-SM Multicast Routing
	Author(s)	: Y. Lin et al.
	Filename	: draft-ydlin-pim-sm-rp-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 23-Oct-01
	
The Protocol Independent Multicast-Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) protocol
establishes core-base tree to forward multicast datagrams in a
network.  In PIM-SM, the core or Rendezvous Point (RP) of a group is
determined at each multicast router by hashing a group address, i.e.,
a class-D IP address, to one of the candidate RPs.  The hash function
is characterized by its ability to evenly and uniquely choose the
core for a group and remains insensitive to the geographic
distribution of the group members and the sources.  However, it may
result in a multicast tree with high cost.
This draft presents a relocation mechanism which is extension to PIM-
SM, in which RP could be relocated periodically.  When a new RP is
found, the original RP informs all members to re-join to the new RP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ydlin-pim-sm-rp-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ydlin-pim-sm-rp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ydlin-pim-sm-rp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.