Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-forces-netlink-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 07:02:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Forwarding and Control Element Separation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Netlink as an IP services protocol
	Author(s)	: J. Salim et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-forces-netlink-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 01-Oct-01
	
This document describes Linux Netlink, which is used in Linux both
as an inter-kernel messaging system as well as between kernel and
user-space.  The purpose of this document is intended as informa-
tional in the context of prior art for the ForCES IETF working
group.  The focus of this document is to describe netlink from a
context of a protocol between a Forwording Engine Component (FEC)
and a Control Plane Component(CPC) that define an IP service.
The document ignores the ability of netlink as a inter-kernel mes-
saging system, as a an inter-process communication scheme (IPC) or
its use in configuring other non-network as well as network but
non-IP services (such as decnet etc).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-forces-netlink-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-forces-netlink-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-forces-netlink-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.