Subject: RFC 3164 on The BSD syslog Protocol

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:33:28 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3164

        Title:	    The BSD Syslog Protocol
        Author(s):  C. Lonvick
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       August 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Characters: 72951
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-syslog-syslog-12.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3164.txt

This document describes the observed behavior of the syslog
protocol.  This protocol has been used for the transmission of
event notification messages across networks for many years.  While
this protocol was originally developed on the University of
California Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) TCP/IP system
implementations, its value to operations and management has led
it to be ported to many other operating systems as well as being
embedded into many other networked devices.

This document is a product of the Security Issues in Network Event
Logging Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.