Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-weltman-ldapv3-auth-response-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 07:07:43 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: LDAP Authentication Response Control
	Author(s)	: R. Weltman, M. Smith, M. Wahl
	Filename	: draft-weltman-ldapv3-auth-response-05.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 12-Nov-01
	
This document defines support for the Authentication Request Control 
and the Authentication Response Control. Controls are an LDAP 
protocol version 3 extension, to allow passing arbitrary control 
information along with a standard request to a server, and to receive 
arbitrary information back with a standard result. The Authentication 
Request Control may be submitted by a client in a bind request if 
authenticating with version 3 of the LDAP protocol. In the LDAP 
server's bind response, it may then include an Authentication 
Response Control. The response control contains the identity assumed 
by the client. This is useful when there is a mapping step or other 
indirection during the bind, so that the client can be told what LDAP 
identity was granted. Client authentication with certificates is the 
primary situation where this applies. Also, some SASL authentication 
mechanisms may not involve the client explicitly providing a DN, or 
may result in an authorization identity which is different from the 
authentication identity provided by the client [AUTH].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-weltman-ldapv3-auth-response-05.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-weltman-ldapv3-auth-response-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-weltman-ldapv3-auth-response-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.