Subject: Protocol Action: Assigned Numbers: RFC 1700 is Obsolete

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:10:38 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of 'Assigned Numbers: RFC 1700 is
Obsolete' <draft-rfc-editor-rfc1700bis-00.txt> as an Informational RFC,
but request that the title be changed to:

    Assigned Numbers: RFC 1700 is replaced by an on-line database.

In the same action, the IESG obsoleted RFC1700, STD 2, reclassifying the
document as historic.

The IESG contact person is Harald Alvestrand.

Technical Summary
 
   From November 1977 through October 1994, the Internet Assigned
   Numbers Authority (IANA) periodically published tables of the
   Internet protocol parameter assignments in RFCs entitled, "Assigned
   Numbers".  The most current of these Assigned Numbers RFCs had
   Standard status and carried the designation: STD 2.  At this time,
   the latest STD 2 is RFC 1700.

   Since 1994, this sequence of RFCs have been replaced by an online
   database accessible through a web page (currently, www.iana.org).
   The purpose of the present RFC is to note this fact and to
   officially obsolete RFC 1700, whose status changes to Historic.  RFC
   1700 is obsolete, and its values are incomplete and in some cases
   may be wrong.

Working Group Summary

   This document is an individual submission.  No issues were raised
   during Last Call.

Protocol Quality

   The document has been reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand