Subject: RFC 3195 on Reliable Delivery for syslog

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 10:49:23 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3195

        Title:	    Reliable Delivery for syslog
        Author(s):  D. New, M. Rose
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       November 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Characters: 60960
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-syslog-reliable-12.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3195.txt

The BSD Syslog Protocol describes a number of service options related
to propagating event messages.  This memo describes two mappings of
the syslog protocol to TCP connections, both useful for reliable
delivery of event messages.  The first provides a trivial mapping
maximizing backward compatibility.  The second provides a more
complete mapping.  Both provide a degree of robustness and security
in message delivery that is unavailable to the usual UDP-based syslog
protocol, by providing encryption and authentication over a
connection-oriented protocol.

This document is a product of the Security Issues in Network Event
Logging Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.