Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-janardhan-dnsext-aging-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 06:58:24 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DNS Stale Resource Records Removal Mechanism
	Author(s)	: K. Janardhan, L. Esibov
	Filename	: draft-janardhan-dnsext-aging-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 20-Nov-01
	
The Dynamic DNS Update Protocol assumes that the devices/applications
performing dynamic registration of the DNS records will delete the
records from the DNS database when the records become invalid. Initial
deployment of the devices supporting the Dynamic DNS Update protocol 
indicated that there are multiple legitimate scenarios when records 
dynamically registered in DNS are not removed from the database by the 
devices that originally registered them. This can result in a 
substantial number of stale records. This document describes a 
mechanism to clean up these stale records.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-janardhan-dnsext-aging-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-janardhan-dnsext-aging-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-janardhan-dnsext-aging-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.