Subject: 52nd IETF - Network Data Management Protocol BOF (ndmp)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:27:33 -0500

Network Data Management Protocol BOF (ndmp)

Tuesday, December 11 at 1545-1645 and 1700-1800
================================================

CHAIRS: Greg Linn <[email-masked]>
        Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>,

AGENDA:
- welcome & introductions
- agenda bashing
- NDMP history and background
- working group charter
- NDMP v5 requirements
- milestones and deliverables
- working group staff positions
- summary

ABSTRACT:
The Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) defines a network-based
mechanism and protocol for controlling backup, recovery, and other
transfers of data between primary and secondary storage.  The NDMP
architecture separates the network attached Data Management Application
(DMA), Data Servers and Tape Servers participating in archival or
recovery operations.  NDMP also provides low-level control of tape
devices and SCSI media changers. The XDR and TCP/IP protocols are
foundations for NDMP.  The key goals of NDMP include interoperability,
contemporary functionality, extensibility, internationalization,
security, and insuring data integrity.

DESCRIPTION:
The NDMP Working Group will enhance the protocol to provide generic
support for widely desired new features and excise the biases that limit
the protocol's interoperability.  The NDMP Working Group provides the
forum for the discussion and advancement of the NDMP standard.  The
objective of this NDMP Working Group is to advance the state of NDMP
standards by producing a version 5 specification and other NDMP version
5 standardization and protocol efforts, including a standard version 5
extensions document.

NDMP version 5 will be submitted as an Internet Standards Track RFC. The
first phase of working group activity is to produce a new requirements
document for NDMP version 5.  Such a requirements document will describe
the limitations and deficiencies of current NDMP versions, propose high-
level solutions for improvements, and rate the importance of different
solutions.  Following the publication of this document, work will begin
on producing version 5 of the NDMP specification. It is anticipated that
NDMP version 5 will emphasize the following features:

Restartability and Checkpoints
Improved Authentication
Firewall Compatibility
Internationalization
Generalization for Non-UNIX Environments
Data Management of Data Sets Beyond File Systems
Snapshot Management
Multi-source or Multi-destination Sessions
Standardization of Environment Variables

Further information on these objectives can be found in the document,
"Requirements for Network Data Management Protocol Version 5."

DELIVERABLES:
NDMP Version 5 Requirements Document
NDMP Core Protocol Version 5 Document
NDMP Standard Extensions Document
NDMP Version 5 Implementation Guidelines Document