Subject: 52nd IETF - Datagram Control Protocol BOF (dcp)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:12:03 -0500

Datagram Control Protocol BOF (dcp)

Tuesday, December 11 at 1700-1800
==================================

CHAIR:  Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>

AGENDA:

1. Formulation of requirements to be met by DCP
     a. starting from draft-kohler-dcp-00.txt
     b. users of a DCP
          streaming and interactive media needing
          congestion control

          security services needing high DoS resistance?

          other lockstep services?

2. Possible charter

3. Sense of room about forming WG

BOF Description:
This is a discussion of the possible reasons for bringing
into existence a Datagram Control Protocol, one which
is intended for applications that require the connection
semantics of TCP and SCTP (with SCTP's anti-DoS features)
and need specialized congestion control,
but which do not want TCP's in-order delivery and
reliability semantics.

The sort of applications which could make use of a DCP are those which
have timing constraints on the delivery of data, such that reliable
in-order delivery, when combined with congestion control, is likely
to result in some information arriving at the receiver after it is
no longer of use.  Such applications might include streaming media
and Internet telephony.  Security related issues might also
define the user of a DCP service.

Mailing list:  will use [email-masked] for initial discussion
Archive:   see Transport WG charter page