Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-deering-ipv6-encap-addr-deletion-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 06:59:47 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Redundant Address Deletion when Encapsulating IPv6 in 
                          IPv6
	Author(s)	: S. Deering, B. Zill
	Filename	: draft-deering-ipv6-encap-addr-deletion-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 20-Nov-01
	
In some potentially common uses of IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation 
('tunneling'), a node that is performing an encapsulation or 
decapsulation will also be the source or destination of the packet 
being encapsulated.  That can result in the same IPv6 address 
appearing in both the outer (encapsulating) and inner (encapsulated) 
IPv6 headers.  This document specifies a method for deleting such 
redundant addresses from an inner header when performing an 
encapsulation, and restoring those addresses when decapsulating, 
resulting in a 16-octet (128-bit) reduction in header overhead, 
per address deleted.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-deering-ipv6-encap-addr-deletion-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-deering-ipv6-encap-addr-deletion-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-deering-ipv6-encap-addr-deletion-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.