Subject: Protocol Action: The SYS and AUTH POP Response Codes to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:02:56 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The SYS and AUTH POP Response
Codes' <draft-gellens-pop-err-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This has
been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group.

Technical Summary
 
    RFC 2449 [POP-EXT] defined extended [POP3] response codes, to give
    clients more information about errors so clients can respond more
    appropriately. This memo proposes two additional response codes: 
    SYS and AUTH, which enable clients to unambiguously determine an
    optimal response to an authentication failure. It also defines a new
    capability, AUTH-RESP-CODE, whose presence assures the client that
    only errors with the AUTH code are caused by credential problems.

Working Group Summary

    This document was reviewed on the IETF POP3 Extensions mailing
    list, <[email-masked]>. However, it is an individual
    submission, not the product of a working group.

Protocol Summary

  Ned Freed reviewed this document for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

Section 3 "Comments" should be removed prior to publication.

The text in the Security Considerations section should reference
section 6, not section 3.