Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-spbs-sipping-negotiate-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 07:00:19 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The SIP Negotiate Method
	Author(s)	: S. Parameswar, B. Stucker
	Filename	: draft-spbs-sipping-negotiate-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 20-Nov-01
	
There is a need to negotiate a multitude of parameters, settings, 
and algorithms when setting up sessions using Session Initiated 
Protocol (SIP). While SIP itself provides mechanisms for 
negotiation of these parameters on a per-session basis through the
use of the INVITE method, it does not provide a ready mechanism
for meta-session negotiation. The closest mechanism provided is 
the REGISTER method, however, this method is directed towards the 
registrar alone, and cannot be used to conduct negotiation of 
parameters between any two arbitrary SIP nodes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-spbs-sipping-negotiate-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-spbs-sipping-negotiate-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-spbs-sipping-negotiate-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.