Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 06:19:24 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Eifel Algorithm for TCP
	Author(s)	: L. Reiner
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-02.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 21-Nov-01
	
A solution to eliminate the retransmission ambiguity in TCP, is to
mark ACKs with a special retransmit-marker. The marker would need to
be present in those ACKs, and only those ACKs, that the TCP receiver
sends in response to retransmits; both genuine and spurious
retransmits. Based on such a retransmit-marker, the Eifel algorithm
allows the TCP sender to detect a posteriori that a fast retransmit
or a timeout was spurious. Three alternative retransmit-markers are
defined in this document, and the Eifel algorithm may be based on
either one of them: the TCP RXT flag, the TCP Timestamps option, and
the TCP SACK option. The Eifel algorithm provides a basis for future
TCP enhancements such as response schemes that may change a TCP
sender's protocol state to improve end-to-end performance.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.