Subject: Protocol Action: Guidelines for Evidence Collection and Archiving to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 13:34:35 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Guidelines for Evidence
Collection and Archiving' <draft-ietf-grip-prot-evidence-05.txt> as a
BCP.  This document is the product of the G & R for Security Incident
Processing Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and
Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 This document offers system administrators guidelines for the
 collection and archiving of evidence of security incidents.  It is
 not intended to require all system administrators rigidly follow
 these guidelines for every security incident.  Rather, it attempts
 to provide guidance on what they should do if they choose to to
 collect and protect information relating to an intrusion.

Working Group Summary

 There was no significant comment on this document during the working
 group last call.

Protocol Quality

 The document was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush.