Subject: Protocol Action: Remote Network Monitoring Management Information Base for High Capacity Networks to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:23:54 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Remote Network Monitoring
Management Information Base for High Capacity Networks'
<draft-ietf-rmonmib-hcrmon-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Remote Network Monitoring Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
  This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base
  (MIB) for use with network management protocols in TCP/IP-based
  internets.  In particular, it defines objects for managing
  remote network monitoring devices for use on high speed networks.
  This document contains a MIB Module that defines these new
  objects and also contains definitions of some updated objects
  from the RMON-MIB [RFC 2819] and the RMON2-MIB [RFC 2021].

Working Group Summary

  The working group basically has had rough consensus on this
  document as Proposed Standard for more than a year.

  A problem during the process through IETF Last Call and IESG
  approval turned out to be that this memo depends on updates
  to a few enumerations in the RMON-MIB and the RMON2-MIB. This
  caused confusion as to standard status of the original MIBs
  (RFC 2819 and RFC 2021). The status of those MIBs does not
  change because of these new enumerations that are needed for
  this memo.

  The solution that has been adopted and approved is that this
  memo defines the new enumerations and these new definitions
  will go along with this memo on the standards track. By the
  time that this memo reaches (full) standard, the original
  MIB documents can be updated.

  In the mean time, as a service to users of the MIB, the RFC
  Editor will host the latest versions of the RMON1 and RMON2
  MIBs.

  During IETF Last Call, an issue was raised w.r.t. the
  compliance statements in the latest versions of the RMON1
  and RMON2 mibs (to be provided on the RFC-Editor web pages).
  This issue has been resolved by updating the compliance
  statement to make sure that old implementations are still
  compliant.

Protocol Quality

  This memo has been reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.