Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-coan-hasm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:08:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: HASM: Hierarchical Application-Level Secure Multicast
	Author(s)	: B. Coan et al.
	Filename	: draft-coan-hasm-00.txt
	Pages		: 42
	Date		: 07-Dec-01
	
The HASM system addresses some of the current limitations of
end-to-end secure multicast.  Specifically, the techniques used in
HASM can achieve:  (1) multiple autonomous administrative units, each
with its own locally-managed authentication and authorization server,
(2) efficiency in rekeying portions of a multicast group by using
network elements to translate between keys (all without trusting any
single network element to securely manage message text in the clear),
and (3) defense against denial-of-service attacks by using a secure
extension of IGMP. The HASM system makes use of (1) network support,
including extensions to the Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP),
extended firewall functionality, and router support for encryption and
decryption and (2) host operating system support, specifically
extensions to IGMP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-coan-hasm-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-coan-hasm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-coan-hasm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.