Subject: Protocol Action: SMTP Service Extension for Secure SMTP over TLS to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:05:54 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'SMTP Service Extension for
Secure SMTP over TLS' <draft-hoffman-rfc2487bis-06.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product
of an IETF Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes an extension to the SMTP service that allows an
SMTP server and client to use transport-layer security to provide private,
authenticated communication over the Internet. This gives SMTP agents the
ability to protect some or all of their communications from eavesdroppers
and attackers.

This document obsoletes RFC 2487, as described in Appendix B.

Working Group Summary

The document have been discussed on various mailing lists. The changes made
between version 05 and 06 reflect input during the last call period.

Protocol Quality

The spec was reviewed for the IESG by Patrik Faltstrom.