Subject: Protocol Action: DHCP Domain Search Option to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:03:16 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DHCP Domain Search Option'
<draft-aboba-dhc-domsearch-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This has
been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons Thomas Narten and Erik Nordmark.

Technical Summary
 
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) provides a mechanism
for host configuration. Various options exist to specify various kinds
of name services to be passed to DHCP clients.  In some circumstances,
it is useful for the DHCP client to be configured with the domain
search list, a sequence of domains that are to be appended to a DNS
resolution query when attempting to resolve a DNS name.  This document
defines a new DHCP option that is passed from the DHCP Server to the
DHCP Client to specify the domain search list when resolving
hostnames.

Working Group Summary

This was not a working group document, but was discussed and approved
by the DHC WG. One issue was raised during the Last Call and resulted
in a revision of the document.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.