Subject: Protocol Action: Addition of Device Class to Agent Options to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 15:17:29 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Addition of Device Class to
Agent Options' <draft-ietf-dhc-agentoptions-device-class-04.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Dynamic Host
Configuration Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik
Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document defines a new sub-option to the DHCP Relay Information
Agent Option.  This new sub-option is for use with DOCSIS cable modems
and describes a "device class" to which the cable modem belongs.  The
cable modem signals its device class information to the Relay Agent
using DOCSIS signalling, and the Relay Agent forwards the device class
information to the DHCP Server as part of DHCP request that it relays
from the modem. The DHCP server which can then make a policy decision
based on it.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus for this document and no issues were raised during
the Last Call.

Protocol Quality

This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.