Subject: WG Review: Content Distribution Internetworking (cdi)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 13:03:48 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications
Area. The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Content Distribution Internetworking (cdi)
- ------------------------------------------
 
Current Status: Proposed Working Group
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The goal of this working group is to define protocols to allow the
interoperation of separately-administered content networks.

A content network is an architecture of network elements, arranged for
efficient delivery of digital content. Such content includes, but is
not limited to, web pages and images delivered via HTTP, and streaming 
or continuous media delivered via RTSP.

The working group will first define requirements for three modes of
content internetworking: interoperation of request-routing systems,
interoperation of distribution systems, and interoperation of 
accounting systems.  These requirements are intended to lead to a 
follow-on effort to define protocols for interoperation of these 
systems.

The working group must clearly distinguish between (and justify) 
short-term fixes and requirements to extending the addressing/content 
architecture.

In its initial form, the working group is not chartered to deliver 
those protocols, but we encourage individual submission of 
internet-drafts describing protocols intended to meet the evolving 
requirements.  We anticipate rechartering of the working group to 
specify protocols, after the requirements documents are stable and 
rough consensus emerges about the number and relationship of such 
protocols.

In addition to defining requirements, the working group will develop a
number of supporting documents.  These documents are: a shared 
vocabulary for the problem domain, scenarios, an overall architecture 
for interoperation, and a summary of request-routing mechanisms 
currently in use.  The total expected deliverables are as follows, 
including the current draft corresponding to each:

1. Vocabulary
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-day-cdnp-model-09.txt

2. Scenarios
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-day-cdnp-scenarios-04.txt

3. System Architecture
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-green-cdnp-gen-arch-03.txt

4. Request-Routing Known Mechanisms
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cain-cdnp-known-request-routing-04.txt

5. Requirements for Request-Routing
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cain-request-routing-req-03.txt

6. Requirements for Distribution
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-amini-cdi-distribution-reqs-02.txt

7. Requirements for Accounting
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gilletti-cdnp-aaa-reqs-01.txt

Internet-Drafts:

In addition to the drafts listed with specific deliverables, the 
following CDI-related drafts have been written by participants in the 
group.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-douglis-cdi-known-mech-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cain-cdi-cnap-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-barbir-cdi-cnapcomp-00.txt

------- End of Forwarded Message