Subject: Last Call: IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:32:25 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the IP Version 6 Working Group to
consider 'IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture'
<draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-07.txt> as a Draft Standard, replacing
RFC2373, currently a Proposed Standard.

The WG originally asked to advance this document to Draft standard in
1998, but the IESG pushed back on advancement pending more
implementation experience on some aspects of multicast scoping and on
concerns over the readiness of advancing the companion "Aggregatable
Global Unicast Address Format" document with which it had been paired.

Since that time, additional interoperability has been demonstrated,
and the document is being advanced independent of the other document.
There was continued support in the WG for advancement of this
document. A new IETF Last Call was held in Decemeber, 2000.

Comments and IESG discussion resulting from the Last Call resulted in
a number of document changes. Those changes included:

 - removing the Format Prefix (to clarify that implementations should
   not build in knowledge about any prefixes except ones that are
   explicitly listed in the specification),

 - making it clear that all address space was to be treated as global
   unicast, except in those specific cases where other definitions
   already existed,

 - making it clear that reference to RFC 2374 (An Aggregatable Global
   Unicast Address Format) was an example, as address assignment
   policy is under the domain of the RIRs

A full list of changes can be found in the changes section of the
document.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the 
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by January 28, 2002.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-07.txt

Imnplementation Report can be viewed at
http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/IESG/Implementations/address-architecture.txt