Subject: BCP 56, RFC 3205 on HTTP Layering

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:27:10 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 56
        RFC 3205

        Title:	    On the use of HTTP as a Substrate
        Author(s):  K. Moore
        Status:     Best Current Practice
	Date:       February 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 34785
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-moore-using-http-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3205.txt

Recently there has been widespread interest in using Hypertext
Transfer Protocol (HTTP) as a substrate for other applications-level
protocols.  This document recommends technical particulars of such
use, including use of default ports, URL schemes, and HTTP security
mechanisms. 

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.