Subject: Protocol Action: Using SOAP in BEEP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:23:08 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Using SOAP in BEEP'
<draft-etal-beep-soap-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This has been
reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
Simple Object Access protocol (SOAP) is an XML-based messaging protocol
used to implement a wide variety of distributed messaging models.  It
defines a message format and describes a variety of message patterns,
including, but not limited to, RPC, asynchronous event notification,
unacknowledged messages, and forwarding via SOAP intermediaries.

A SOAP binding describes how SOAP messages are transmitted in the network.
This memo specifies a SOAP binding to the Blocks Extensible Exchange
Protocol Core (BEEP).

Working Group Summary

The document have been reviewed in the beep working group in the IETF
as well as discussed on various other mailing lists about BEEP and SOAP.
 
The W3C sent a note asking IETF be careful with the reference to the SOAP
spec, and IESG agrees with this. This specification will carry SOAP 1.1.
and any future compatible version. SOAP 1.1. is in very widespread use
already, and the current de-facto transport is HTTP. Further, current
proposal of SOAP 1.2 also relies on the SOAP envelope concept - so it can
be also carried according to the current proposal. If needed for future
SOAP specifications it is expected that this specification have to be
updated when a backward-incompatible version of SOAP is produced.

Protocol Quality

The specification is reviewed for the IESG by Patrik Faltstrom.

RFC-Editor note:

1. Please change the Abstract:

OLD:

   SOAP is an XML-based messaging protocol used to implement a wide
   variety of distributed messaging models.  It defines a message format
   and describes a variety of message patterns, including, but not
   limited to, RPC, asynchronous event notification, unacknowledged
   messages, and forwarding via SOAP intermediaries.

   A SOAP binding describes how SOAP messages are transmitted in the
   network.  This memo specifies a SOAP binding to BEEP.

NEW:

   Simple Object Access protocol (SOAP) is an XML-based messaging
   protocol used to implement a wide variety of distributed messaging
   models.  It defines a message format and describes a variety of
   message patterns, including, but not limited to, RPC, asynchronous
   event notification, unacknowledged messages, and forwarding via
   SOAP intermediaries.

   A SOAP binding describes how SOAP messages are transmitted in the
   network.  This memo specifies a SOAP binding to Blocks Extensible
   Exchange Protocol Core (BEEP).

2. Please change the domain name "stockquoteserver.com" to
   "stockquoteserver.example.com" throughout the document.

3. Please add the following sentence at the end of section 5.1.1:

   While the use of literal IPv6 addresses in URLs is discouraged,
   if a literal IPv6 address is used in a soap.beep URL is must
   conform to the syntax specified in RFC 2472.

4. The reference to RFC 2472 also needs to be added to the bibliography.