Subject: Protocol Action: Date and Time on the Internet: Timestamps to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:33:02 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Date and Time on the
Internet: Timestamps' <draft-ietf-impp-datetime-05.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Instant Messaging and
Presence Protocol Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned
Freed and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
   This document defines a date and time format for use in Internet
   protocols that is a profile of the ISO 8601 standard for
   representation of dates and times using the Gregorian calendar.

Working Group Summary

   Date and time formats cause a lot of confusion and interoperability
   problems on the Internet.  IMPP in particular needs a canonical
   form for the representation of dates and times. This document
   addresses many of the problems encountered and makes recommendations
   to improve consistency and interoperability when representing and
   using date and time in Internet protocols.

   Although this work was done under the auspices of the IMPP WG, it
   is expected to have broad applicability outside of IMPP.

Protocol Quality

   Ned Freed reviewed this document for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

The following entry should be included in the Definitions section,
for the benefit of those that are not already familiar with the
notation.

  Z    A suffix which, when applied to a time, denotes a UTC
       ofset of 00:00; often spoken "Zulu" from the ICAO
       phonetic alphabet representation of the letter "Z".

/