Subject: Protocol Action: Extending PPP over SONET/SDH, with virtual concatenation, high order and low order payloads to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 12:07:46 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Extending PPP over SONET/SDH,
with virtual concatenation, high order and low order payloads'
<draft-ietf-pppext-posvcholo-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) [RFC 1661] provides a standard
method for transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point
links. PPP in HDLC-like Framing [RFC 1662] and PPP over SONET/SDH
(POS) [RFC 2615] describe the use of PPP over Synchronous Optical
Network (SONET) and Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH) circuits.

This document proposes an extension to the mapping of PPP into
SONET/SDH defined in RFC 2615 PPP over SONET/SDH (POS) [3], to include
use of SONET/SDH SPE/VC virtual concatenation and use of both high
order and low order payloads.

Working Group Summary

There  was support for this document within the WG and no issues were
raised during last call.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.