Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gurtov-tsvwg-tcp-delay-spikes-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:24:24 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Making TCP Robust Against Delay Spikes
	Author(s)	: A. Gurtov, R. Ludwig
	Filename	: draft-gurtov-tsvwg-tcp-delay-spikes-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 26-Feb-02
	
We suggest a more conservative management of TCP's retransmit timer,
and a more careful response of the TCP sender to duplicate ACKs that
arrive after a timeout. The former reduces the risk of triggering
spurious timeouts, while the latter eliminates potentially
unnecessary retransmits. Although, we believe that these suggestions
are permitted (although not explicitly) by RFC2581 and RFC2988, they
do not seem to be widely known nor deployed in existing TCP
implementations. We therefore want to make implementers aware of
these choices.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gurtov-tsvwg-tcp-delay-spikes-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gurtov-tsvwg-tcp-delay-spikes-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gurtov-tsvwg-tcp-delay-spikes-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.