Subject: Protocol Action: URN Namespace Definition Mechanisms to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 12:38:48 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'URN Namespace Definition
Mechanisms' <draft-ietf-urn-rfc2611bis-04.txt> as a BCP.  This document
is the product of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group.  The IESG
contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom.

This document obsoletes RFC 2611.

Technical Summary
 
The document specifies the registration process for URN namespace
identifiers. It focuses on the ability to inherit existing namespaces and
identifiers as URN's.

Working Group Summary

This documents obsoletes RFC 2611, partially on request from the IESG which
according to both RFC 2611 and this new document is the authority which
approves formal namespaces via the RFC publication process. RFC 2611 was
updated by the URN wg, and discussed on the appropriate mailing lists.

Protocol Quality

The spec was reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom.

Note to RFC Editor: 

Please replace ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/URN-namespaces/
with http://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces