Subject: IETF Nomcom announcement

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:09:42 -0500

The 2001-2002 IETF Nominations Committee has now completed its work; the
IAB has approved the IESG recommendations, and the ISOC has approved the
IAB recommendations. Please join us in welcoming the incoming members of
the IESG and IAB:

IESG
Allison Mankin          Transport
Bert Wijnen             Operations & Management
Ned Freed               Applications
Erick Nordmark        	Internet
Alex Zinin              Routing
Steve Bellovin          Security

IAB
Ted Hardie
Charlie Kaufman
Eric Rescorla
Jim Kempf
Leslie Daigle
Mike St. Johns

A note concerning overall IAB and IESG performance:

Of necessity the work of the Nomcom requires consideration of overall
IETF, IAB and IESG performance.  Our assessment of both the IESG and the
IAB was extremely positive.  In particular, we received a number of
comments strongly commending the IAB's efforts on OPES.  Each of this
year's changes to the IAB was the result of varied and independent
considerations, including the movement of one member from IAB to IESG,
and the retirement of other members.

A word of thanks:

This year we have had extraordinary participation at all points in the
nomcom process, and so we would like to thank the IETF community for
doing your part in helping the nomcom select the incoming members of the
IESG and IAB.

Firstly, we would like to thank everyone who volunteered to participate
in this year's nominations committee. This includes the members of last
year's nominations committee who assisted this year's effort; their help
was invaluable.

We'd also like to thank the members of the 2001-2002 nominations
committee who volunteered to participate in the bi-weekly 2-hour
conference calls, some of who were on other continents and had to
participate at odd hours. This year's nomcom, as with previous nomcoms,
observed both the letter and spirit of RFC 2727.  Many thanks.

The IETF community was extremely generous this year in sending us your
thoughts on the present and future of the IETF, the performance of the
incumbents, and suggestions for potential candidates for the IESG and
IAB.  For that we are deeply grateful -- your guidance informed the
nomcom process every step of the way. From your responses, it is obvious
that this community remains passionate about the future of the Internet
and is devoted to seeing it thrive.

Thanks to those who were nominated, but declined to run, for considering
candidacy on the IAB and IESG. For many of you who are qualified and
have the desire to serve, but not the time, this was a difficult
decision to make. We appreciate your realism and honesty.

Special thanks to those who were nominated and consented to
candidacy. Many of you had to have difficult discussions with your
management and family members before deciding to run. We appreciate your
willingness to put career and family aside in order to serve the IETF.
We also appreciate the effort you put into completing the questionnaire,
and in some cases a supplemental questionnaire and interview. It was a
very gratifying to read your profound thoughts about the future of the
Internet as well as more mundane concerns about the day to day
management issues we face in the IETF.

Due to the outstanding response to our call to service, we had many more
qualified candidates than we had slots on the IESG and IAB. While this
pays homage to the IETF's strength as an organization, it also by its
nature must result in disappointment for many qualified candidates.I
hope those of you who we could not select will understand that the
nomcom's decision does not in any way detract from your tremendous
contributions to the Internet.  We hope that your disappointment in this
year's process will not dissuade you from volunteering for candidacy
next year, and the year after that. The IETF needs you.

Decisions in this year's nomcom were extremely difficult and required
that we take extra time to ensure the best results we could achieve,
according to the process laid out in RFC 2727.

We would like to thank the incoming members of the IAB and IESG, who
have pledged so much of their time and energy to the betterment of the
IETF in the years ahead. We of the nomcom, after having spent
considerable effort in the last few months focused on the process of
your selection, now have a greater appreciation of the personal
sacrifices that you are making for the IETF and even greater respect for
the role that you play.

Our best wishes for your success in the years ahead,

The 2000 Nominations Committee:
	Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
	Hal Sandick <[email-masked]>
	Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
	Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
	Russ White <[email-masked]>
	Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>
	Mehmet Ersue <[email-masked]>
	Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
	Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
	Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>

Non-voting members:
	Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]> (NOMCOM Chair)
	Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]> (Previous NOMCOM Chair)
	Fred Baker <[email-masked]>  IAB Liaison
	Thomas Narten <[email-masked]> (IESG liaison)

The role of non-voting members (from RFC 2727)

The nominations committee comprises at least a non-voting Chair, 10
voting volunteers, and 3 non-voting liaisons. The sitting IAB and IESG
members each appoint a non-voting liaison to the nominating committee
from their current membership who are not sitting in an open
position. The Chair of the prior year's nominating committee also serves
as a non-voting liaison.