Subject: Protocol Action: An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks to Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:49:25 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts as
Standards:

 o An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks
   <draft-ietf-snmpv3-arch-v2-02.txt> 

 o Message Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management
   Protocol (SNMP) <draft-ietf-snmpv3-mpd-v2-02.txt>

 o SNMP Applications <draft-ietf-snmpv3-appl-v3-01.txt>

 o User-based Security Model (USM) for version 3 of the Simple Network
   Management Protocol (SNMPv3)
   <draft-ietf-snmpv3-usm-v2-rfc2574bis-01.txt>

 o View-based Access Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network
   Management Protocol (SNMP) <draft-ietf-snmpv3-vacm-v2-01.txt>

These are editorial updates to RFCs 2571-2575 respectively, obsoleted by
these new documents.

These documents are the product of the SNMP Version 3 Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

 Technical Summary
 
 "An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks"
 describes an architecture for describing SNMP Management Frameworks.
 The architecture is designed to be modular to allow the evolution of
 SNMP protocol standards over time.  The major portions of the
 architecture are an SNMP engine containing a Message Processing
 Subsystem, a Security Subsystem and an Access Control Subsystem, and
 possibly multiple SNMP applications which provide specific
 functional processing of management data.

 "Message Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network
 Management Protocol (SNMP)" describes Message Processing and
 Dispatching for SNMP messages within the SNMP architecture.  It
 defines the procedures for dispatching potentially multiple versions
 of SNMP messages to the proper SNMP Message Processing Models, and
 for dispatching PDUs to SNMP applications.  This document also
 describes one Message Processing Model - the SNMPv3 Message
 Processing Model.

 "SNMP Applications" describes five types of SNMP applications which
 make use of an SNMP engine as described in the SNMP Architecture.
 The types of applications described are Command Generators, Command
 Responders, Notification Originators, Notification Receivers, and
 Proxy Forwarders.  This document also defines MIB modules for
 specifying targets of management operations, for notification
 filtering, and for proxy forwarding.

 "User-based Security Model (USM) for version 3 of the Simple Network
 Management Protocol (SNMPv3)" describes the User-based Security
 Model (USM) for SNMP version 3 for use in the SNMP architecture.  It
 defines the Elements of Procedure for providing SNMP message level
 security.  This document also includes a MIB for remotely
 monitoring/managing the configuration parameters for this Security
 Model.

 "View-based Access Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network
 Management Protocol (SNMP)" describes the View-based Access Control
 Model (VACM) for use in the SNMP architecture.  It defines the
 Elements of Procedure for controlling access to management
 information.  This document also includes a MIB for remotely
 managing the configuration parameters for the View-based Access
 Control Model.

Working Group Summary

 The working group spend some time and effort to make some more
 clarifications to these documents.

 There is WG consensus to advance these documents to Standard.

Protocol Quality

 The documents have been reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen
 and by Randy Bush.

Deployment Report

 The deployment report is available at 
 <http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/2571-2575-Deployment.txt>.

Note to RFC Editor:

1. Please make the following changes to draft-ietf-snmpv3-arch-v2-02.txt

  - Pls add "This document obsoletes RFC 2571." to the end of the abstract 
  - Please Remove section B and B.1; rename section B.2 to
    "B changes from RFC 2571"
  - Please change the following reference
    [RFC2570]   Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D. and B. Stewart,
                "Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard
                Network Management Framework", RFC 2570, April 1999.
    into:
    [RFC-INTRO] Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D. and B. Stewart,
                "Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard
                Network Management Framework",
                draft-ietf-snmpv3-intro-v2-00.txt

2. Please make the following changes to draft-ietf-snmpv3-mpd-v2-02.txt
 
  - remove reference [RFC-ARCH] from the abstract section.
  - Pls add "This document obsoletes RFC 2572." to the end of the abstract 
  - Please change the following reference
    [RFC2570]   Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D. and B. Stewart,
                "Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard
                Network Management Framework", RFC 2570, April 1999.
    into:
    [RFC-INTRO] Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D. and B. Stewart,
                "Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard
                Network Management Framework",
                draft-ietf-snmpv3-intro-v2-00.txt

3. Please make the following changes to draft-ietf-snmpv3-appl-v3-01.txt
  - Please remove reference [RFC-ARCH] from the abstract section.
  - Pls change the last sentence in the abstract from:
      This document will obsolete RFC 2573.
    to:
      This document obsoletes RFC 2573.

4. Please make the following changes to draft-ietf-snmpv3-usm-v2-rfc2574bis-01.txt
  - Please add "This document obsoletes RFC 2574." to the end of the abstract 
  - Please change the name of appendix B to "B Changes since RFC 2574"
  - Please remove the changes since RFC 2274 section

5. Please make the following changes to draft-ietf-snmpv3-vacm-v2-01.txt
  - Please add "This document obsoletes RFC 2575." to the end of the abstract 
  - change the name of appendix B to "B Changes since RFC 2575"
  - remove the changes since RFC 2275 section