Subject: Protocol Action: SS7 MTP2-User Adaptation Layer to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:29:48 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'SS7 MTP2-User Adaptation
Layer' <draft-ietf-sigtran-m2ua-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Signaling Transport Working Group.  The
IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
This memo defines a protocol for backhauling of SS7 MTP2 User signaling
  messages over IP networks using the Stream Control Transmission Protocol
  (SCTP). This protocol would be used in a telephone network between a
  Signaling Gateway (SG) and Media Gateway Controller (MGC). It is assumed
  that the SG receives SS7 signaling over a standard SS7 interface using the
  SS7 Message Transfer Part (MTP) to provide transport. The Signaling
  Gateway would act as a Signaling Link Terminal.

Working Group Summary
 
  The sigtran working group supports this specification, no significant
  issues were raised during IETF Last-Call. The minor issues that were
  raised have been addressed.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.