Subject: Protocol Action: SS7 MTP3-User Adaptation Layer (M3UA) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:34:38 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'SS7 MTP3-User Adaptation
Layer (M3UA)' <draft-ietf-sigtran-m3ua-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Signaling Transport Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankand Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
  This memo defines a protocol for supporting the transport of any
  Signaling System 7 (SS7) MTP3-User signaling (e.g., the telephony
  signaling protocols ISUP and SCCP ) over IP networks using the
  services of the Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP). In
  addition, provision is made for protocol elements that enable a
  seamless operation of the MTP3-User peers in the SS7 and IP
  domains. This protocol would be used in a telephone network
  between a Signaling Gateway (SG) and a Media Gateway Controller
  (MGC) or IP-resident Database.

Working Group Summary

  The sigtran working group supports the publication of this
  document with some dissent.

Protocol Quality

  The document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner