Subject: 53rd IETF - Packet Sampling BOF (psamp)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:06:00 -0500

Packet Sampling BOF (psamp)

Tuesday, March 19 at 0900-1130
==============================

CHAIR:  Nick Duffield <[email-masked]>

Abstract:

The BOF will examine the need for a standard set of capabilities for
network elements to sample traffic. One motivation to standardize
these capabilities comes from the requirement for measurement-based
support for network management and control across domains.
This requires domain wide consistency in the types of sampling schemes
available, the manner in which the resulting measurements are
presented, and consequently, consistency of the interpretation that
can be put on them. The capabilities are positioned as suppliers of
packet samples to higher level consumers, including both remote
collectors and applications, and on board applications.

Agenda:
        Welcome and Agenda Review
        Motivation and Overview
        Discuss draft-duffield-framework-papame-00.txt:
        . Packet Selection Operations
        . Report Formats and Export
        . Configuration and Management
        Relation to existing WGs: IPFIX, IPPM, TEWG, IPPT?
        ...
        Draft Charter and Milestones

Mailing List:
        mailing list: [email-masked]
        subscribe: [email-masked]
        archive: https://ops.ietf.org/lists/psamp/

Internet Draft:
        A Framework for Passive Packet Measurement
        draft-duffield-framework-papame-00.txt

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duffield-framework-papame-00.txt

===================================================

Draft Charter: Packet Sampling (PSAMP)

The Packet Sampling working group is chartered to define a standard
set of capabilities for network elements to sample packets. The
standard will ensure that the resulting measurements can be
consistently interpreted across platforms. The resulting stream of
measurements is to be self-defining, both in the format of the
individual measurements, the description of the sampling configuration
that produced them, and possess some robustness to missing reports.
The standard shall also encompass the configuration of packet
selectors, the presentation of measurements to higher level
measurement applications, and their export.

Specifically, the tasks of the PSAMP WG will be the following:

1. Selectors for packet sampling. Specify a set of primitive packet
   sampling operations for network elements, and the ways in which
   they can be combined. This set shall be sufficiently rich so as to
   support some existing and emerging packet sampling schemes, and
   some packet measurement requirements of some other IETF WG's.

2. Report Structure. Define a reporting format that is sufficiently
   rich to include fields from the packet, quantities computable from
   packet content and router state, quantities computed during the
   selection operation, and functions thereof, as needed to support
   applications. Additional state variables are to be supplied in a
   timely manner

3. Report Streams. Define a format for formation of a stream of packet
   reports. The format should include: (i) description of format of
   packet reports; (ii) the packet reports; (iii) sampling parameters
   used to generate constituent reports, for interpretation of reports
   by recipient; (iv) sufficient information, e.g. counters, to enable
   inference of actual sampling rates, detection of and correction for
   absent reports due to transmission loss, and detection of report
   omission during operation of multiple packet selectors.

4. Presentation, Export, and Transport. Determine appropriate layer
   for presentation of measurements to on-board applications. Select
   transport for secure and timely export.  Examine requirements for
   dynamic configurability of export destination.

5. Multiple Report Streams. Determine requirements and consequences of
   enabling multiple report streams, each with its own configurable
   packet selector, report format, report stream format, and export.

6. Configuration Management. Specify a MIB for sampling parameters,
   report and report stream format, export parameters. Select
   communication protocol to configure/read this MIB.

All these tasks will favor reuse of existing protocols where
appropriate.

Milestones:

. Finalize charter
. Framework document
. Packet selector function document
. Report format, report stream format, export capability document
. MIB document