Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-masinter-dated-uri-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:09:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: 'duri' and 'tdb': URN Namespaces based on dated URIs
	Author(s)	: L. Masinter
	Filename	: draft-masinter-dated-uri-01.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 05-Mar-02
	
This document defines two persistent namespaces of URNs based on
prepending a date to an (encoded) URI. The results are namespaces
in which names are readily assigned but which offer the persistence
of reference that is required by URNs. The first namespace (duri)
is used to refer to URI-identified resources themselves, while the
second namespace (tdb) is used to refer to abstractions that are
not themselves networked resources but are 'described by' them.
This idea and things like it have been discussed for several years,
but recent discussion about use of URIs and URNs for identifiers
in XML-based constructs has inspired writing this up more completely.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-masinter-dated-uri-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.