Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-willis-sip-path-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:02:51 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SIP Extension for Registering Non-Adjacent Contacts
	Author(s)	: D. Willis
	Filename	: draft-willis-sip-path-02.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 28-Mar-02
	
The REGISTER function is used in a SIP system primarily to associate
a temporary contact address with an address-of-record.  This contact
is generally in the form of a URI, such as Contact:
&ltsip:[email-masked]> and is generally dynamic and
associated with the IP address or hostname of the SIP UA.  The
problem is that network topology may be that there are one or more
SIP proxies between the UA and the registrar, such that any message
from the user's home network to the registered UA must traverse these
proxies.  The REGISTER method itself does not give us a mechanism to
discover and record this sequence of proxies in the registrar for
future use.  This document defines an extension header, 'Path' which
provides such a mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-willis-sip-path-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-willis-sip-path-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-willis-sip-path-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.