Subject: WG Review: Revised Charter for Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:07:25 -0400

A revised charter has been received for the Network File System
Version 4 (nfsv4) Working Group, and is provided here for informational
and review purposes.

The old (and still current) charter can be accessed at:

	http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/nfsv4-charter.html

The new proposed Description of Working Group (for your review):

   The objective of this working group is to advance the state of NFS
   technology by producing specifications to extend the original NFS
   Version 4 work (RFC 3010) to provide additional capabilities, as
   described below.

   o NFS version 4

   Advance the protocol along the standards track, coordinating the
   development of test suites to provide a high level of implementation
   quality.  The ONC RPC standards that NFSv4 references must also be
   advanced.  This includes work to make NFSv4 and the underlying ONC RPC
   protocol compatible with IPv6.  Specifically, we will advance RFC 3010,
   RFC 1831, RFC 1833 and RFC 2203 to Draft Standard. The working group
   will help advance related security RFCs, specifically through the
   definition of a method to advance APIs.

   o Replication and Migration

   The original working group defined a mechanism for NFS clients and
   servers to support replication and migration of data transparently
   to an application.  Left undefined in the initial work was the
   server back end migration and replication mechanism.  The working
   group will produce a draft submission of a replication/migration
   protocol that supports NFS Version 4 clients - needed to create and
   maintain replicated filesystems as well as migrating filesystems
   from one location to another -  and servers for consideration as
   Proposed Standard.

   o Management

   The working group will produce a draft submission for consideration
   as Proposed Standard of a management MIBs to provide better management
   and administration capabilities for NFS and ONC RPC.

   o Minor Versions

   NFS Version 4 contains within it the capability for minor versioning.
   Some discussions within the working group suggest addressing
   additional requirements over the original charter.  The WG will work
   to identify additional requirements for NFSv4 and determine if they
   are appropriate and worthwhile for a minor version.  This work may
   lead to proposals for additional work items.  If it does a specific
   proposal to add these work items to the charter will be forwarded to
   the IESG and IAB.