Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-oneill-mip-regtun-mods-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:30:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Modifications to Regional Tunneling
	Author(s)	: A. O''Neill
	Filename	: draft-oneill-mip-regtun-mods-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 10-Apr-02
	
Regional Registration modifies the normal MIP Registration signalling   back to the HA so that the signalling can traverse an intermediate 
Gateway Foreign Agent (GFA). The registered binding is between the Home 
Address (HoA) and the GFA Care-of Address (GFA-CoA) in the Home Agent 
(HA), and between the GFA-CoA and the Foreign Agent (FA-CoA) in the GFA. 
Two extensions are defined to support this new Registration processing 
these being the Hierarchical Foreign Agent extension (HFAext) and the GFA IP address extension (GFAIPext). The former is used to carry the FA CoA to the GFA and the latter is used by the FA to allocate a GFA to the MN, and by the FA, GFA, HA to securely return the GFA IP address to the MN.
The present processing rules for the HA registration enable the FA to 
advertise the GFA to the MN in a Foreign Agent Advertisement (FAA) and 
for the MN to include that GFA address into the CoA field of the MIP me 
Registration. This however assumes a number of things about the GFA 
address in the FAA and the addressing realms between the FA-GFA and GFA-
HA.. Specifically, the GFA CoA and the GFA IP address must potentially be from two different addressing plans and hence cannot be in the same FAA. This draft describes the issues and suggests a solution that requires slight modifications to the required extensions, that generalises the Home Registration signalling for arbitrary intermediate MIP nodes, and only slightly modifies the processing rules for the MIP Home Registration. This draft also describes a way to support dynamic HA allocation along-side Regional Registrations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-oneill-mip-regtun-mods-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-oneill-mip-regtun-mods-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-oneill-mip-regtun-mods-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.