Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-paila-scm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 08:00:28 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Source Controlled Multicasting
	Author(s)	: T. Paila, L. Xu, W. Hansmann
	Filename	: draft-paila-scm-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 17-Apr-02
	
Traditionally, multicast trees in the Internet are built bottom-up.
The construction of multicast trees depends on the multicast
receivers's ability to inform their next hop multicast routers about
their multicast group memberships. There are cases, in which the
traditional host-driven way of building the multicast trees is
insufficient. To point out one, consider an access network with
unidirectional links. In a mobile environment, this requires that the
receiving interface of a mobile node must also have the capabilities
to send out MLD or IGMP responses. This is not possible for broadcast
networks (e.g DVB-T and DAB), that provide high downstream data
rates, but no uplink connectivity.
This document presents Source Controlled Multicast as a proposal
solution to overcome the problems with unidirectional links. It
presents a way to for source to control the multicast tree joining
process on behalf of mobile nodes behind unidirectional links.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-paila-scm-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-paila-scm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-paila-scm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.