Subject: Protocol Action: A Transient Prefix for Identifying Profiles under Development by the Working Groups of the IETF to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:29:21 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'A Transient Prefix for
Identifying Profiles under Development by the Working Groups of the
IETF' <draft-mrose-beep-transientid-02.txt> as a BCP.  This has been
reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom

  Technical Summary
 
Each profile in The Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol is identified by a
URI. If the BEEP profile appears on the standards-track [3], then the IANA
is responsible for assigning the URI associated with the BEEP profile at
the time of publication of the RFC. Otherwise, the entity specifying the
BEEP profile is free to assign a URI under its administration to the
profile.

If a working group of the IETF is developing a BEEP profile, then, during
the development process, it is desirable to use a transient identifier for
the profile. Further, it is desirable that the transient identifier be
associated with the working group.

  Working Group Summary

The document is not the product of any working group in the IETF, but has
been reviewed on the mailing lists which discuss the Beep protocol.

  Protocol Quality

The document has been reviewed for the IESG by Patrik Faltstrom.