Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-polyrakis-mpib-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 07:15:55 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Next Steps in Signaling Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Meta-Policy Information Base (M-PIB)
	Author(s)	: A. Polyrakis, R. Boutaba
	Filename	: draft-polyrakis-mpib-00.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 29-Mar-02
	
This document introduces the concept of COPS-PR meta-policies and 
defines the Meta-Policy Information Base.  
The meta-policy PIB does not introduce a new policing area. On the 
contrary, it defines some provisioning classes that can be used by 
all other PIBs, in order to add meta-policing functionality into 
them. The meta-policy PIB, like every PIB, stores policing 
information that controls some policing mechanisms of the device. 
However, unlike other PIBs, the policing mechanism controlled by the 
meta-policy PRCs is the PIB itself. The data maintained by these 
PRCs implement policies that control other policies, this is why 
they are called meta-policies. 
Meta-policies is an attempt to push intelligence towards the COPS-PR 
PEPs and overcome the rigidity of their PIBs. Through meta-policies, 
more policing information and functionality can be pushed towards 
the PEP, less interaction with the PDP is necessary and less network 
and PDP resources are consumed. The PEP is more independent and it 
can bear longer PDP absences.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polyrakis-mpib-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-polyrakis-mpib-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-polyrakis-mpib-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.