Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-simu-midcom-stun-aware-nat-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:03:13 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: STUN-aware NAT
	Author(s)	: A. Simu, R. Mahy, M. Somasundaram
	Filename	: draft-simu-midcom-stun-aware-nat-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 11-Apr-02
	
STUN provides an easy way to traverse some types of NATs and it will
work satisfactorily in many NAT deployments.  To overcome STUN's
limitations, one solution is to accept the idea that NATs can change
too (and they've been proven to change, an example being the
proliferation of IPsec pass-thru NAT devices) and to colocate STUN
server functionality on the NAT box itself.  Upon receipt of a STUN
request, the server colocated within the NAT device allocates
addresses and ports, and installs bindings.  This allows hosts
running the STUN client software to transparently achieve symmetric
NAT traversal and to make themselves addressable from the Global
Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-simu-midcom-stun-aware-nat-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-simu-midcom-stun-aware-nat-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-simu-midcom-stun-aware-nat-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.