Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:30:49 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A method for doing opportunistic encryption with IKE
	Author(s)	: M. Richardson, D. Redelmeier, H. Spencer
	Filename	: draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-07.txt
	Pages		: 51
	Date		: 10-Apr-02
	
This document describes opportunistic encryption (OE) using IKE and
IPsec.  Each system administrator makes local arrangements -- adds
new resource records to its Domain Name System (DNS) -- to support
opportunistic encryption.  The objective is to allow encryption
without any pre-arrangement specific to the pair of systems involved.
Once that is done, any two such systems can communicate securely.
DNS is used to distribute the public keys of each system involved.
Even with un-secure DNS zones, this system is resistant to passive
attacks.  The addition of DNSSEC to secure the key distribution
system secures this system against active attackers.
There are two large payoffs.  First, if many systems must communicate
securely, this approach reduces administrative overhead to order N
(number of systems), rather than the N squared cost to configure each
tunnel separately.  Second, it becomes possible to make secure
communication the default, even when the partner is not known in
advance.
All obvious and some non-obvious risks are described and the
solutions implemented are detailed.  The major cost to the end user
is a slight increase in latency when initially contacting a new peer.
This document is offered up as an Informational RFC.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-07.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.