Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 07:28:23 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Microsoft Windows 2000 RC4-HMAC Kerberos 
                          encryption type
	Author(s)	: M. Swift, J. Brezak
	Filename	: draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-04.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 02-May-02
	
The Microsoft Windows 2000 implementation of Kerberos introduces a 
new encryption type based on the RC4 encryption algorithm and using 
an MD5 HMAC for checksum. This is offered as an alternative to using 
the existing DES based encryption types. 
The RC4-HMAC encryption types are used to ease upgrade of existing 
Windows NT environments, provide strong crypto (128-bit key 
lengths), and provide exportable (meet United States government 
export restriction requirements) encryption. 
The Microsoft Windows 2000 implementation of Kerberos contains new 
encryption and checksum types for two reasons: for export reasons 
early in the development process, 56 bit DES encryption could not be 
exported, and because upon upgrade from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 
2000, accounts will not have the appropriate DES keying material to 
do the standard DES encryption. Furthermore, 3DES is not available 
for export, and there was a desire to use a single flavor of 
encryption in the product for both US and international products. 
As a result, there are two new encryption types and one new checksum 
type introduced in Microsoft Windows 2000.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-brezak-win2k-krb-rc4-hmac-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.