Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 07:34:20 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A method for doing opportunistic encryption with The 
                          Internet Key Exchange (IKE)
	Author(s)	: M. Richardson, D. Redelmeier, H. Spencer
	Filename	: draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-08.txt
	Pages		: 40
	Date		: 06-May-02
	
This document describes opportunistic encryption (OE) using the
Internet Key Exchange (IKE) and IPsec.  Each system administrator
makes local arrangements -- adds new resource records to its Domain
Name System (DNS) -- to support opportunistic encryption.  The
objective is to allow encryption without any pre-arrangement specific
to the pair of systems involved.  Once that is done, any two such
systems can communicate securely.
DNS is used to distribute the public keys of each system involved.
This is resistant to passive attacks.  The use of DNS Security
(DNSSEC) secures this system against active attackers as well.
There are two large payoffs.  First, the administrative overhead is
reduced from the square of the number of systems to a linear
dependance.  Second, it becomes possible to make secure communication
the default, even when the partner is not known in advance.
This document is offered up as an Informational RFC.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-08.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.