Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2tpext-failover-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 07:35:34 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Fail Over extensions for L2TP
	Author(s)	: R. Penno, K. Parikh et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2tpext-failover-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 06-May-02
	
L2TP is a connection-oriented protocol that has shared state between 
active endpoints. Some of this shared state is vital for operation but 
may be rather volatile in nature, such as packet sequence numbers used 
on the L2TP Control Connection. When failure of one side of a control
connection occurs, a new control connection is created and associated 
with the old connection by exchanging information about the old 
connection. Such a mechanism is not intended as a replacement for an 
active fail over with some mirrored connection states, but as an aid 
just for those parameters that are particularly difficult to have 
immediately available. Protocol extensions to L2TP defined in this 
document are intended to facilitate state recovery, providing 
additional resiliency in an L2TP network and improving a remote 
system's layer 2 connectivity.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2tpext-failover-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l2tpext-failover-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2tpext-failover-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.