Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-corson-triggered-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 07:34:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Triggered Interface
	Author(s)	: S. Corson
	Filename	: draft-corson-triggered-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 09-May-02
	
Layer 2 interfaces fundamentally operate as either broadcast or 
point-to-point.  From these primitives, additional layer 3 interface 
constructs such as non-broadcast multiple access and point-to-
multipoint are created as necessary.  This approach has served the 
wired Internet well.  However this memo argues that a third type of 
layer 2 interface is necessary to seamlessly extend IP over dynamic 
networks, principally wireless.  This interface, here termed a 
'triggered' interface, combines traditional broadcast interface 
addressing semantics (i.e. support for unicast, multicast and 
broadcast link layer addresses) with layer 2 trigger support for the 
dynamic creation of peer-to-peer interface associations within an 
otherwise broadcast interface.  Its intended domain of applicability 
covers cellular, WLAN, MANET, etc; in short all currently envisioned 
forms of dynamic wireless networking.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-corson-triggered-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-corson-triggered-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-corson-triggered-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.