Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-twine-ftpmd5-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 07:12:34 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The 'MD5' and 'MMD5' FTP Command Extensions
	Author(s)	: J. Twine
	Filename	: draft-twine-ftpmd5-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 14-May-02
	
This document specifies two additions to the File Transfer Protocol
(FTP).  These additions (new Server commands) would give FTP 
Servers the ability to generate (or otherwise obtain) and return 
MD5 checksums for the files it has available for transfer.
It is the author's belief that this would provide a great benefit
to the Internet community, because it would allow automated
transfer agents, as well as Web Browsers and other
'click-to-download' applications to be able to automatically verify
the data of a downloaded file, and hence be able to detect any data
tampering and/or corruption that may occurred while 'on the wire',
or possibly while the file was on the Server (a virus infection).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-twine-ftpmd5-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-twine-ftpmd5-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-twine-ftpmd5-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.