Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-spirits-protocol-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 07:26:21 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Service in the PSTN/IN Requesting InTernet Service Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The SPIRITS Protocol
	Author(s)	: V. Gurbani et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-spirits-protocol-01.txt
	Pages		: 72
	Date		: 30-Apr-02
	
This document describes SPIRITS protocol. The purpose of the SPIRITS
protocol is to support services that originate in the Public Switched
Telephone Network (PSTN) and necessitate the interactions between the
PSTN and the Internet. Similarly, such services are called SPIRITS
services.  Internet Call Waiting, Internet Caller-ID Delivery, and
Internet Call Forwarding are examples of SPIRIT services, but the
protocol is to define the building blocks from which many other
services can be built.  On the PSTN side, the SPIRITS services are
initiated from the Intelligent Network (IN) entities.  The earlier
IETF work on the PSTN/Internet Interworking (PINT) resulted in the
protocol (RFC 2848) in support of the services initiated in the
reverse direction - from the Internet to PSTN.
This Internet-Draft has been written in response to the SPIRITS WG
chairs call for SPIRITS Protocol proposals. Among other
contributions, this I-D is based on:
o  Informational RFC2995, 'Pre-SPIRITS implementations'
o  Informational RFC3136, 'The SPIRITS Architecture'
o  SPIRITS Protocol Requirements, presented in draft-ietf-
spirits-reqs-04, current candidate for Informational RFC.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spirits-protocol-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-spirits-protocol-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-spirits-protocol-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.