Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 07:34:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Distributed Denial of Service Incident 
                          Handling:Real-Time Inter-Network Defense
	Author(s)	: K. Moriarty
	Filename	: draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 06-May-02
	
One of the latest trends attacking Internet security is the
increasing prevalence of Denial of Service (DoS) attacks.  DoS
attacks target system and/or network resources and seek to
prevent valid access by consuming resources.  Internet Service
Providers (ISPs) need to be equipped and ready to assist in
tracing these attacks with tools and procedures in place before
the occurrence of a DoS attack.  This paper proposes a proactive
inter-network communication method as well as an SNMP-based
tracing mechanism that can be used by ISPs to identify the
source(s) of an attack.  SNMP flows as described in RFC2720,
implemented on routers or monitoring devices could be used to
trace attacks coordinated by a Network Management System that
would also provide a communication mechanism across network
borders.  It is imperative that ISPs have quick communication
methods defined to enable neighboring ISPs to assist in tracking
a security incident across the Internet.  This proposal makes
use of current standards for traffic and performance management,
which could be extended for DoS incident handling.  Policy
guidelines for handling these incidents are recommended and can
be used by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and extended to 
their clients in conjunction with the technical recommendations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.