Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gurbani-sin-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:32:10 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: SIP-IN Interworking Protocol Architecture and 
                          Procedures
	Author(s)	: V. Gurbani, F. Haerens, V. Rastogi
	Filename	: draft-gurbani-sin-01.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 28-May-02
	
The aim of the SIP/IN Interworking (SIN) IETF design team is to
consider the support of existing IN-based applications in a SIP-
based IP  environment for IP-Host-to-Phone calls. There are many
telephony applications based on IN: 800 (freephone), PSTN VPN, credit
card calling, to name a few.
The design team work items are:
o Interpreting IN Call Models for the SIP environment
o Mapping IN messages into (sequences of) SIP messages and vice
versa
o Mapping IN parameters into SIP parameters and vice versa
o Defining SIP extensions, if necessary
It was agreed that the contributors on the SIN design team should
first publish respective I-Ds, which are then used as the basis of
one or more Informational RFCs that will be the major output of the
design team. This draft is the first output of the IETF SIN design
team and addresses the first work item.  It outlines the architecture
and procedures of SIP-IN (SIN) Internetworking as well as establishes
the call model mapping between the IN Call Model and the SIP protocol
state machine.
An overall objective is to ensure  that IN control of VoIP services
in networks can be readily specified and implemented by adapting
standards and software used in the present networks. This approach
leads to services that function the same when a user connect to
present or future networks, simplifies service evolution from present
to future, and leads to more rapid implementation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gurbani-sin-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gurbani-sin-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gurbani-sin-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.