Subject: Protocol Action: Capabilities Advertisement with BGP-4 to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 15:40:03 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Capabilities Advertisement
with BGP-4' <draft-ietf-idr-rfc2842bis-02.txt> as a Draft Standard.
This action will obsolete RFC2842. This document is the product of the
Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bill
Fenner and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
This document defines an Optional BGP-4 HELLO Parameter, called
  Capabilities, that facilitates introduction of new capabilities
  in BGP by providing graceful capability advertisement without
  requiring that the BGP peering be terminated if new capabilities
  are not supported.
 
Working Group Summary
 
  There was broad consensus in the IDR WG to advance this document
  to Draft Standard.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  Bill Fenner reviewed the specification for the IESG. This
  protocol is widely implemented, as it is the basis for many
  heavily used BGP-4 extensions, such as the Multiprotocol
  Extensions (RFC 2858) and Route Refresh (RFC 2918).