Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-westberg-nsis-edge-edge-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:19:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Framework for Edge-to-Edge NSIS Signaling
	Author(s)	: L. Westberg
	Filename	: draft-westberg-nsis-edge-edge-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 15-May-02
	
Real-time applications impose very strict requirements on the
underlying transmission network that requires a high level of quality
of service (QoS). This level of QoS can only be achieved by means of
QoS management on an end-to-end basis (i.e., end user to end user),
from application to application, potentially across many domains, as
the current Internet is a concatenation of many domains, usually
managed by different QoS administrators (operators).
The requirement for end-to-end QoS management does not necessarily
mean that a single resource reservation protocol must be applied end-
to-end. In fact it is most likely that the end-to-end QoS management
architecture will consist of many interoperable and concatenated QoS
management architectures rather than one global end-to-end QoS
infrastructure. Usually a network consists of three network parts,
i.e., a host to first hop router, access network and the backbone of
the network. Each of these three network parts imposes different
requirements on the provided QoS solution.
This draft describes a framework for NSIS QoS signaling in edge to
edge networks. The main goal is to provide a skeleton for lightweight
edge to edge NSIS signaling in a network. This skeleton would be used
as input to the NSIS 'Framework signaling architecture'.
Even though designed for edge-to-edge signaling the applicability of
this framework is not to be limited only to signaling between the
edges of a network, but it can be extended in other signaling
scenarios as well, such as end host - to - end host signaling.
The QoS protocol that will be applied in an edge to edge network is
denoted as edge-to-edge NSIS protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-westberg-nsis-edge-edge-framework-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-westberg-nsis-edge-edge-framework-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-westberg-nsis-edge-edge-framework-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.