Subject: WG Review: Routing Protocol Security Requirements (rpsec)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 17:38:26 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Routing Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Routing Protocol Security Requirements (rpsec)
----------------------------------------------
 
 Current Status: Proposed Working Group
 
Description of Working Group:
 
The lack of a common set of security requirements and methods for
routing protocols has resulted in a wide variety of security
mechanisms for individual routing protocols. Ongoing work on
requirements for the next generation routing system and future work on
the actual mechanisms for it will require well documented routing
security requirements.

The products of this working group will be used by routing protocol
designers to ensure adequate coverage of security in the future,
including well known and possible threats. 

The scope of work is limited to router-to-router protocols only for
both unicast and multicast systems, and does NOT include
host-to-router protocol such as IGMP, ICMP, ARP, or ND. It is also a 
non-goal at this point to produce new or change the current security
mechanisms in the existing routing protocols.

The RPSEC working group is charged with the following tasks:

- Document threat models for routing systems

- Document security requirements for routing systems

- Provide a common area for discussion between security and routing
  experts on the topic of securing the routing system

Possible Future Work

- Evaluate and document existing and proposed routing security
  mechanisms with respect to established RPSEC requirements

- Recommend mechanism(s)