Subject: Protocol Action: Connection-less Lightweight Directory Access Protocol to Historic Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 17:28:27 -0400

The IESG has approved reclassifying 'Connection-less Lightweight Directory Access
Protocol' as an Historic document.  This document was the product of
the OSI Directory Services Working Group.

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of CLDAP to
Historical Status <draft-zeilenga-cldap-02.txt> as an Informational
RFC. This document was reviewed in the IETF but is not a product of a
working group.

The contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned Freed. 

Technical Summary
 
CLDAP is not widely deployed on the Internet. While there are few
implementations which reportedly implement CLDAP, conformance to the
specification as well as interoperability of any independently
developed implementations is unknown.

It is believed that CLDAP would have to be significantly updated
before it could be advanced on the standard track. In particular,
CLDAP is based upon deprecated syntaxes and semantics of LDAPv2
[LDAPv2]. The community has widely adopted LDAPv3 [LDAPv3].
 
Working Group Summary
 
There was consensus in the community to reclassify RFC 1798.
 
Protocol Quality
 
The specification has been reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom.