Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chung-idn-idnx-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:06:07 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Internationalized Domain Name Transition (IDNX)
	Author(s)	: E. Chung, D. Leung
	Filename	: draft-chung-idn-idnx-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 27-Jun-02
	
This document describes a strategy for domain name server operators 
to prepare and transition their services for multilingual domain 
names (IDN û Internationalized Domain Names). 
The IDNX approach accepts that users with non-IDN aware applications 
will be attempting to access multilingual domain names.  Hence it is 
the registry or domain operator's responsibility to provide an IDN 
solution that resolves these issues to make it a seamless transition 
experience for technically unsophisticated users. 
In essence, the IDNX approach embraces a complementary server-side 
implementation to smooth the transition.  IDNX compliant domain 
servers will successfully resolve IDN requests sent via non-IDN aware 
applications, whether they are formatted in local encoding, UTF-8 or 
an identifiable variant. 
The IDNX approach also utilizes a dynamic CNAME mechanism to 
provision for the sub-delegation of multilingual domain names to 
hosts running non-IDN aware DNS servers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chung-idn-idnx-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-chung-idn-idnx-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chung-idn-idnx-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.