Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ymbk-arch-guidelines-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:18:26 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Some Internet Architectural Guidelines and Philosophy
	Author(s)	: R. Bush, T. Griffin, D. Meyer
	Filename	: draft-ymbk-arch-guidelines-02.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 07-Jun-02
	
RFC 1958 [RFC1958] describes the underlying principles of the
Internet architecture. This note extends that work by outlining some
of the philosophical guidelines to which architects and designers of
Internet backbone networks should adhere. While many of the areas
outlined in this document may be controversial, the unifying
principle described here, controlling complexity as a mechanism to
control costs and reliability, should not be. Complexity in carrier
networks networks can derive from many sources. However, as stated in
[DOYLE2002], 'Complexity in most systems is driven by the need for
robustness to uncertainty in their environments and component parts
far more than by basic functionality'. Thus the major thrust of this
document is to raise awareness about the complexity of some of our
current architectures, and to examine the effect such complexity will
almost certainly have on the IP carrier industry's ability to
succeed.
The rest of this document is organized as follows: The first section
describes the Simplicity Principle. The remainder of the document
outlines the high-level consequences of the Simplicity Principle and
how it should guide large scale network architecture and design
approaches.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ymbk-arch-guidelines-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ymbk-arch-guidelines-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ymbk-arch-guidelines-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.