Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-francis-prepaid-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 06:38:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Design Issues for Prepaid Data Service
	Author(s)	: P. Francis, J. Brandt, B. Gleeson
	Filename	: draft-francis-prepaid-00.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 26-Jun-02
	
Prepaid voice services have proven to be extremely successful.  
There is a desire to replicate this success for data services. 
Prepaid for data presents new technical challenges, primarily due to  
the wide range of billing that may be applied to data services---
volume or time billing, differential billing by type of application 
(gaming, steaming, browsing, voice), billing by destination, and 
even billing of specific content.  Furthermore, a single data 
prepaid service may need to accomodate simultaneous network access 
by multiple devices (phone, laptop, PDA). 
This paper discusses design issues for a protocol between a prepaid 
application and the data network element.  It defines an 
architecture and terminology.  It describes basic characteristics of 
data prepaid service, as well as some advanced features.  It 
analyzes the main technical issues, especially performance issues.  
Finally, this paper describes the semantics of an illustrative 
prepaid data service protocol.  This document does not, however, 
specify such a protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-francis-prepaid-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-francis-prepaid-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-francis-prepaid-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.