Subject: Protocol Action: L2TP Over AAL5 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:04:10 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'L2TP Over AAL5'
<draft-ietf-l2tpext-l2tp-atm-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas
Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   The Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP - RFC2661) provides a
   standard method for tunneling PPP (RFC1661) between a dial-up
   server (i.e., the L2TP Access Concentrator) and a Network Access
   Server over IP.  This document describes how to tunnel L2TP over an
   ATM network. The document is intended for implementations of L2TP
   that use ATM to provide the communications link between the L2TP
   Access Concentrator and the L2TP Network Access Server.

Working Group Summary

This document has been "almost finished" for more than a year. At this
point, it is not clear whether there is still a need for a Standards
Track protocol in this space. However, there are reported
implementations of the document. Thus, it was felt that Standards
Track was still potentially useful. However, it may be appropriate to
reclassify the document as Historic sooner rather than later.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

RFC Editor Note:

Near the end of Section 6, please change the words "SHALL be" to "is"
in the line:

      The CRC field SHALL be computed over the entire CPCS-PDU except the
      CRC field itself.