Subject: WG Action: Cross Registry Information Service Protocol (crisp)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:10:49 -0400

A new working group has been established in the Applications Area
of the IETF. Please contact the Area Directors or WG Chairs for 
more information.

Cross Registry Information Service Protocol (crisp)
---------------------------------------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group

 Chair(s):

 Applications Area Director(s):
     Ned Freed  <[email-masked]>
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>

 Applications Area Advisor:
     Patrik Faltstrom  <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       subscribe
     Archive:           https://lists.verisignlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/ietf-not43

Description of Working Group:

In the standard operation of Internet systems, various
labels and data are managed globally -- domain names, IPv4
and IPv6 addresses, etc. From time to time, for operational
and administrative purposes, users of the Internet need to
be able to find and access registered information associated with
those labels.

The CRISP (Cross-Registry Information Service Protocol) WG will
define a standard mechanism that can be used for finding
authoritative information associated with a label, a protocol
to transport queries and responses for accessing that information,
and a first profile (schema & queries) to support commonly-required
queries for domain registration information. Backwards compatibility
with existing administrative directory services such as WHOIS is not a
goal of this effort. Provisioning of data into registry or registrar
systems is likewise out of scope -- CRISP provides a uniform
access to and view of data that may be held in disparate backend
servers. While the framework created will hopefully be sufficiently
flexible to allow re-use by other registries/services with related
design criteria, those uses will be deferred to the creation of
appropriate schema & query profiles at some future date.

The CRISP service definition will define:

o a standard mechanism that can be used to determine the
  authoritative server(s) for information about a given label

o a single mandatory to implement protocol for transporting
  application queries and responses, including

o expression of input query

o expression of result sets

o standard expression of error conditions

o authentication and verification of data integrity

o specific data types and queries to be supported in the first
  supported registry service: a global service for domain registration
  information access

Deliverables:

o Finalized requirements document for the CRISP service

o Document specifying a new protocol, or the use of an existing one,
for providing CRISP service (application transport).

o Document specifying required schema elements and queries for domain
  registration administrative directory queries.

Input documents:

draft-newton-ir-dir-requirements-*
draft-newton-iris*
draft-hall-ldap-whois*

 Goals and Milestones:

   OCT 02       Submit requirements document as an Informational RFC 

   NOV 02       Submit first draft of protocol (use) specification 

   NOV 02       Submit first draft of domain registration administrative 
                directory services required schema element specification. 

   APR 03       Submit revised protocol (use) specification document as 
                Proposed Standard 

   APR 03       Submit revised draft of domain registration administrative 
                directory services required schema element specification as 
                Proposed Standard.