Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-policy-qos-device-info-model-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 07:38:50 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Policy Framework Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Information Model for Describing Network Device QoS 
                          Datapath Mechanisms
	Author(s)	: B. Moore, D. Durham, J. Strassner,
                          A. Westerinen, W. Weiss
	Filename	: draft-ietf-policy-qos-device-info-model-08.txt
	Pages		: 91
	Date		: 31-May-02
	
The purpose of this draft is to define an information model to
describe the quality of service (QoS) mechanisms inherent in
different network devices, including hosts.  Broadly speaking,
these mechanisms describe the attributes common to selecting and
conditioning traffic through the forwarding path (datapath) of a
network device.  This selection and conditioning of traffic in
the datapath spans both major QoS architectures: Differentiated
Services (see [R2475]) and Integrated Services (see [R1633]).
This draft is intended to be used with the QoS Policy Information
Model [QPIM] to model how policies can be defined to manage and
configure the QoS mechanisms (i.e., the classification, marking,
metering, dropping, queuing, and scheduling functionality) of
devices.  Together, these two drafts describe how to write QoS
policy rules to configure and manage the QoS mechanisms present
in the datapaths of devices.
This draft, as well as [QPIM], are information models.  That is,
they represent information independent of a binding to a specific
type of repository.  A separate draft could be written to provide
a mapping of the data contained in this document to a form
suitable for implementation in a directory that uses (L)DAP as
its access protocol.  Similarly, a draft could be written to
provide a mapping of the data in [QPIM] to a directory.
Together, these four drafts (information models and directory
schema mappings) would then describe how to write QoS policy
rules that can be used to store information in directories to
configure device QoS mechanisms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-qos-device-info-model-08.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-policy-qos-device-info-model-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-qos-device-info-model-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.