Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-renkel-middlebox-tunnels-00.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:37:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: NAT and Middlebox Tunnels
	Author(s)	: J. Renkel
	Filename	: draft-renkel-middlebox-tunnels-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 20-Jun-02
	
This Internet Draft compares Network Address Translation (NAT) and
Realm Specific IP (RSIP) tunnels, and the advantages and
disadvantages of each. It then shows how the advantages can be
combined by implementing NAT as a tunnel in hosts, while
minimizing the disadvantages. Based on the advantages of middlebox
tunnels in general and implementing NAT as a middlebox tunnel in
particular, it then recommends that the Middlebox Communications
architecture protocol (MIDCOM) be amended to support tunnels
between hosts and middleboxes.
This .txt version of this internet draft is identical to the
PostScript version (draft-renkel-middlebox-tunnels-00.ps) except
that the figures from the PostScript version have been deleted.
Please refer to the PostScript version for these figures.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-renkel-middlebox-tunnels-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-renkel-middlebox-tunnels-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-renkel-middlebox-tunnels-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.