Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-irtf-mm-prob-stmt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 06:39:08 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Micromobility Problem Statement
	Author(s)	: C. Williams et al.
	Filename	: draft-irtf-mm-prob-stmt-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 26-Jun-02
	
Mobile IP [1] has been developed in the IETF for a number of years already.
It's simplicity and scalability give it a growing success within the 
IETF as several Internet drafts are proposed to extend various 
improvements for Mobile IP and its counterpart designed 
for IPv6, Mobile IPv6 [2].  Mobile IP suffers from several well-known 
weaknesses that have led to the definition of the macro/micro-mobility  
architecture.  Such an architecture implies the division of the mobility 
architecture into two different parts: mobility management at a 
large scale, between the different domains (macro-mobility), and, on the other hand, at a local scale, inside these domains (micro-mobility).  Each type of mobility is then managed by specific mechanisms and protocols.  
The macro-micro approach results in many advantages that all 
micro-mobility protocols will have; thereby effectively addressing weaknesses that plague Mobile IP.

This document discusses the micro-mobility problem, and is an attempt to
enumerate some of the concepts and approaches defining the micromobility
problem space.  This draft will serve to document the problem
space and definition of micro-mobility for discussion in the IRTF
micro-mobility working group.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-mm-prob-stmt-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-irtf-mm-prob-stmt-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-irtf-mm-prob-stmt-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.