Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-glassey-dns-rzp-00.txt,.pdf

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 07:25:35 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: ROOT ZONE PROTOCOL
	Author(s)	: T. Glassey
	Filename	: draft-glassey-dns-rzp-00.txt,.pdf
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 12-Jun-02
	
The changing structure and size of today's Internet has taxed the 
existing name services and their architecture to the breaking 
point. The DNS system of today was unfortunately architected to 
have a single root zone and limited set of Top Level Domains. This 
is defined usually in the set of root servers any resolving 
request uses to lookup an address. 

This proposal then is an attempt to lessen the impact on end-users 
and registrars and to allow IP owners a greater freedom in 
representing namespace to their customers. 

The elevator description is that this I-D proposes the 
restructuring of domain names more fully along the lines of a 
telephone number by creating a ROOT ZONE PROTOCOL as an addition 
to multiply the existing DNS services times the number of ROOT 
ZONES.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-glassey-dns-rzp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-glassey-dns-rzp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-glassey-dns-rzp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.