Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hardie-out-rr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 07:29:41 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A DNS RR for Pointers to RRs outside class IN
	Author(s)	: T. Hardie
	Filename	: draft-hardie-out-rr-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 13-Jun-02
	
The Domain Name System is a global distributed lookup system with
delegation.  In the original specification of the DNS [RFC 1035],
CLASSes were described as parallel data structures within a single
namespace but with potentially different delegations of authority.
[BCP 42] defines a different vision, in which different CLASSes
represent fundamentally different namespaces.  Though [BCP 42]
includes procedures for assignment of CLASSes, there has been
little use of this axis of extensibility; in practice, CLASS IN is
the only widely deployed CLASS in the DNS.  The ubiquity of CLASS
IN for name to IP address mapping has caused a vicious cycle in
which extensions are placed within that CLASS to take advantage of
its global deployment, with each addition further increasing its
gravitational attraction.  This document describes a Resource
Record for use within CLASS IN that contains a pointer to a CLASS
outside of IN.  This mechanism is intended to allow administrators
to indicate that a named resource identified within CLASS IN is
also present in a different namespace, potentially under a different
name.  This cross-class pointer will allow the DNS to handle
new namespaces with mechanisms appropriate to those namespaces
while providing a connection to the globally deployed CLASS IN
namespace.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hardie-out-rr-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hardie-out-rr-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hardie-out-rr-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.