Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rawlins-admctl-ds-mgt-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 07:31:48 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Edge Based Admission Control with Class Based Resource
                          Management
	Author(s)	: D. Rawlins
	Filename	: draft-rawlins-admctl-ds-mgt-03.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 14-Jun-02
	
New value-added IP services such as VoIP requires per-flow 
admission control to be performed in order to ensure the admission 
of new traffic flows does not degrade the performance of the 
existing traffic flows in the network. Resource Reservation 
Protocol (RSVP) for Intserv [2205] is proposed to support per-flow 
admission control. However, RSVP requires per-flow state 
installation, per-flow state refreshment, per-flow traffic 
management and resource reservation on each node along a 
forwarding path, which cause significant scalability issues, 
especially on the boundary routers and core routers of service 
providesÆ networks, which need to process thousands of traffic 
flows as network aggregation points. Intserv over Diffserv 
networks proposed in [2998] requires the RSVP/Intserv processing 
only on boundary routers and edge routers. Nevertheless, 
RSVP/Intserv has still rarely been supported by boundary router 
vendors because of the scalability issue. The use of edge-based 
admission control with per-class resource management and policy 
control offers a scalable approach to manage per-flow admission 
control for QoS sensitive applications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rawlins-admctl-ds-mgt-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rawlins-admctl-ds-mgt-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rawlins-admctl-ds-mgt-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.