Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hares-bgp-backoff-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 07:46:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: BGP Peer Restart Backoff Mechanisms
	Author(s)	: S. Hares
	Filename	: draft-hares-bgp-backoff-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 21-Jun-02
	
This document describes mechanisms for methods for damping the 
oscillations of BGP-4 [1] peers by increasing the time between 
automatic start functions of the BGP peers.  The increase of time 
between automatic start functions will be denoted as a backoff of 
the automatic start functions by this draft. 
This draft is an informational RFC which provides a description of 
mechanisms for back-off of the automatic start function in bgp-4 
peer reconnections. This Informational RFC includes descriptions 
about the back-off mechanisms and how this information is recorded 
in the BGP-4 MIB version 2 [2]. 
The expontential back-off mechanism contained in this draft was 
first recorded in a draft of the bgp-4 specification.  The author 
requests that anyone with information regarding the original authors 
of that work contact the author.  The lack of credit for those
authors is based on the author's lack of knowledge the originators
of the expotential back-off.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hares-bgp-backoff-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hares-bgp-backoff-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hares-bgp-backoff-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.