Subject: Protocol Action: Assignment Procedures for the URI Resolution using DNS to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:06:47 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Assignment Procedures for the
URI Resolution using DNS' <draft-ietf-urn-net-procedures-11.txt> as a
BCP.  This document is the product of the Uniform Resource Names
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
draft-ietf-urn-uri-res-ddds-07.txt defines a how DNS is used as a
DDDS database that contains URI delegation rules. That document
specifies that the first step in that algorithm is to append
'URI.ARPA' to the URI scheme and retrieve the NAPTR record for that
domain-name. URN resolution also follows a similar procedure but uses
the 'URN.ARPA' zone as its root. This document describes the
procedures for inserting a new rule into the 'URI.ARPA' and
'URN.ARPA' zones by requesting the addition at IANA. It doesn't talk
about registrations of URI schemes or URN namespaces, only how the
entries are added to the DNS.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus around the proposal in the working group, aswell
as agreements with IANA about how the registration is to be done.

Protocol Quality

Patrik Faltstrom reviewed the document for the IESG.