Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pana-usage-scenarios-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:27:08 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Protocol for carrying Authentication for Network Access Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Problem Space and Usage Scenarios for PANA
	Author(s)	: Y. Ohba et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pana-usage-scenarios-02.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 17-Jun-02
	
Most of the commercial networks today require users (or devices on
behalf of users) to provide their authentication information, such as
identity, device identifier, etc., before being allowed access to
network resources.  Resources here include basic access to the
network, specific value added services, different grade of services
etc.  While such networks are available in the market place, the
authentication process and access control mechanisms depend upon the
type of network that a user is attaching to and in most cases it is
specific to an access technology.  Due to the rapid proliferation of
access technologies, wireless devices and next generation services
offerings, a flexible authentication (which is independent of
underlying access technologies) and access control mechanisms are
deemed necessary.  This document therefore attempts to describe
several such scenarios where existing mechanisms are not sufficient
and finally argue the need for a new higher layer protocol called
PANA (Protocol for carrying Authentication for Network Access).  It
also helps to understand the problem space clearly and facilitate the
discussion for PANA requirements and framework.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pana-usage-scenarios-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pana-usage-scenarios-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pana-usage-scenarios-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.