Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guidelines-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 07:45:04 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Guidelines for The Use of XML within IETF Protocols
	Author(s)	: S. Hollenbeck, M. Rose, L. Masinter
	Filename	: draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guidelines-04.txt
	Pages		: 33
	Date		: 03-Jun-02
	
The Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a framework for structuring
data.  While it evolved from SGML -- a markup language primarily
focused on structuring documents -- XML has evolved to be a widely-
used mechanism for representing structured data.
There are a wide variety of Internet protocols being developed; many
have need for a representation for structured data relevant to their
application.  There has been much interest in the use of XML as a
representation method.  This document describes basic XML concepts,
analyzes various alternatives in the use of XML, and provides
guidelines for the use of XML within IETF standards-track protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guidelines-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guidelines-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guidelines-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.