Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-sha-256-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 06:35:24 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The HMAC-SHA-256-96 Algorithm and Its Use With IPsec
	Author(s)	: S. Frankel, S. Kelly
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-sha-256-01.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 28-Jun-02
	
This document describes the use of the HMAC algorithm in conjunction
with the SHA-256 algorithm as an experimental authentication mecha-
nism within the context of the IPsec AH and ESP protocols. This algo-
rithm is intended to provide data origin authentication and integrity
protection. Given the current lack of practical experience with
SHA-256, implementations based on this document will be experimental
in nature, and implementation is not required in order to claim com-
pliance with the IPsec proposed standards.  The version of the HMAC-
SHA-256 authenticator described in this document specifies truncation
to 128 bits, and is therefore named HMAC-SHA-256-128.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-sha-256-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-sha-256-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-sha-256-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.