Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-liu-epp-pa-notify-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:35:51 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Uniform Treatment of Pending Action Notification in 
                          EPP A Strawman Proposal
	Author(s)	: H. Liu et al.
	Filename	: draft-liu-epp-pa-notify-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 30-Jul-02
	
Many domain registries, especially sponsored TLDs and ccTLDs, have
specific policy that calls for the server to perform additional
backend processing before it completes a transform operation on an
object requested by a client. When the pending action is completed,
the server must notify the client about the outcome. However, current
EPP core specifications do not address the notification messaging in
a generic way.  As a result, a registry has to resort to defining a
new schema as extension to the object mapping concerned for this
purpose.
Inspired by recent discussions on the 'ietf-provreg' mailing list on
related topics, this draft presents a strawman proposal for uniform
treatment of server notification for pending action in the base EPP
protocol. A new OPTIONAL child element is added to <poll> response as
basic notification content, which consists of the transaction ID that
triggered the pending action and the outcome of the pending action.
In addition, object specific data and extension information can be
piggybacked in existing child elements of <response>.  The required
modification to the EPP base protocol is kept to the minimum and
incurs no change to the EPP base object mappings. Most importantly,
the proposed solution is applicable to any object mapping, ensuring
EPP's extensibility beyond domain registry applications.
Strong interests by the registry community in deploying this feature
warrant that it be best handled as a generic but optional feature in
the EPP base protocol. This allows any registry to handle pending
action without the need to define a new schema, eliminating the
proliferation of ad hoc object extensions repetitively defined by
disparate registries for the very same purpose.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-liu-epp-pa-notify-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-liu-epp-pa-notify-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-liu-epp-pa-notify-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.