Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-nielsen-dime-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 06:31:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Direct Internet Message Encapsulation (DIME)
	Author(s)	: H. Nielsen, H. Sanders, R. Butek, S. Nash
	Filename	: draft-nielsen-dime-02.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 01-Jul-02
	
Direct Internet Message Encapsulation (DIME) is a lightweight, 
binary message format that can be used to encapsulate one or more 
application-defined payloads of arbitrary type and size into a 
single message construct. Each payload is described by a type, a 
length, and an optional identifier. Both URIs and MIME media type 
constructs are supported as type identifiers. The payload length is 
an integer indicating the number of octets of the payload. The 
optional payload identifier is a URI enabling cross-referencing 
between payloads. DIME payloads may include nested DIME messages or 
chains of linked chunks of unknown length at the time the data is 
generated. DIME is strictly a message format: it provides no 
concept of a connection or of a logical circuit, nor does it 
address head-of-line problems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nielsen-dime-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-nielsen-dime-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nielsen-dime-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.