Subject: Protocol Action: Internet Group Management Protocol, Version 3 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 14:10:23 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Internet Group Management
Protocol, Version 3' <draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-v3-11.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Inter-Domain Multicast
Routing Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Randy Bush and 
Bill Fenner.

Technical Summary
 
 This document specifies Version 3 of the Internet Group Management
 Protocol, IGMPv3, which is used by IPv4 systems to report their IP
 multicast group memberships to neighboring multicast routers.  
 Version 3 of IGMP adds support for "source filtering", which may be 
 used by multicast routing protocols to avoid delivering multicast 
 packets from specific sources to networks where there are no 
 interested receivers.

Working Group Summary

 The working group had no technical dissent to this document.

Protocol Quality

 This document was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush.