Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 12:10:12 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Transitional Reflexive ASE - IDN Transition (IDNX)
	Author(s)	: E. Chung, D. Leung
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 05-Jul-02
	
This document, while sharing a similar concept, is an overhaul of 
TRACE-00 and describes a strategy for domain name server operators to 
prepare and transition their services for multilingual domain names 
(IDN û Internationalized Domain Names). 
The TRACE-01 or IDNX (IDN Transition) approach accepts that users 
with non-IDN aware applications will be attempting to access 
multilingual domain names.  Hence it is the registry or domain 
operator's responsibility to provide an IDN solution that resolves 
these issues to make it a seamless transition experience for 
technically unsophisticated users. 
In essence, the IDNX approach embraces a complementary server-side 
implementation to smooth the transition.  IDNX ready domain servers 
should be backward compatible, and successfully resolve IDN requests 
sent via non-IDN aware applications, whether they are formatted in 
local encoding, UTF-8 or an identifiable variant; as well as forward 
compatible, and be able to resolve ACE requests.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-dnsii-trace-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.