Subject: 54th IETF Meeting - NEtwork MObility BOF (nemo)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 11:32:00 -0400

NEtwork MObility BOF (nemo)

Monday, July 15 at 1300-1500
==============================

CHAIRS: Hesham Soliman <[email-masked]>
        Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>

o MAILING LIST:
  =============

  [email-masked]
  (should be rename [email-masked] but please cntinue to post to
  monet@nal)

  General information about the mailing list:
  http://www.nal.motlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/nemo

o WEB PAGE:
  =========

  http://www.nal.motlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/nemo

o DESCRIPTION OF THE BOF:
  =======================

  This BOF is a follow-up of the MONET BOF held at 53th IETF. It has
  been renamed from MONET to NEMO in order to avoid confusion with
  other IETF Working Group names.

  Network mobility is concerned with situations where an entire
  network, including a mobile router (MR), moving as a unit, which
  changes its point of attachment to the Internet and thus its
  reachability in the topology. The mobile network is connected to the
  global Internet via one or more MR(s) and the internal configuration
  of the mobile network is assumed to be relatively stable with
  respect to the MR. Nodes behind the MR primarily comprise fixed
  nodes (nodes unable to change their IP addresses while maintaining
  ongoing sessions), and mobile nodes (nodes able to change their IP
  addresses while maintaining ongoing sessions).

  Network mobility is primarily concerned with managing the mobility
  of the network, viewed as a single unit, when the MR changes its
  attachment point within the topology.

  The following configurations of mobile networks will be considered
  by NEMO:

    - A mobile network that contains both fixed and mobile nodes
    behind the MR (e.g. a trains with sensors and mobile phones).

    - A mobile network with a single MR that has multiple attachments
    to the Internet (e.g. a MR connected to the Internet by means of a
    802.11b and Bluetooth interfaces)

    - A mobile network that is connected to the Internet via more than
    one MR. (e.g. a car connected to the Internet via means of a
    802.11b interface and a mobile phone)

    - A mobile network containing MRs that are not directly attached
    to the Internet (i.e. connected to the Internet via another
    MR). This configuration is referred to as a Nested mobile
    network. (e.g a PAN in a train).

  The purpose of network mobility support is to provide Internet
  connectivity to all nodes in the mobile network, maintain
  reachability of such devices, and continuous sessions between those
  nodes and their correspondent nodes (CNs), after migration of the
  mobile network under a new point of attachment.

  Details of the problem to be addressed by NEMO and ways to address
  it can be found in the proposed charter available at
  http://www.nal.motlabs.com/nemo/ (work in progress).

o GOALS:
  =======

  The purpose of the BOF is to explain the problem in more details and
  to discuss the proposed direction of NEMO from the proposed
  charter. The meeting also aims at discussing the requirements and to
  assess agreement on the terminology.

o AGENDA:
  =======

- Introduction and agenda bashing 5 min

- Charter discussion - 30 min
  Current draft charter available at
  http://www.nal.motlabs.com/nemo/nemo-charter.txt
  Hesham Soliman and Thierry Ernst

- Terminology update - 15 min
  http://www.nal.motlabs.com/nemo/drafts/draft-ernst-monet-terminology-01.txt
  Thierry Ernst

- Requirements update - 30 min
  Member of a reporting team

- General discussion and opinions on moving forward - 40 min
  All