Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 06:37:19 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Use of IPsec Transport Mode for Dynamic Routing
	Author(s)	: J. Touch, L. Eggert
	Filename	: draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-04.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 28-Jun-02
	
This document addresses the use of IPsec to secure the virtual links
of an overlay network. It addresses how IPsec tunnel mode can
conflict with dynamic routing in an overlay, due to the dependence of
both the security association (SA) and the IP tunnel encapsulation
header on the header of the overlay packet.
This document proposes an alternative where IP tunnel encapsulation
occurs as a separate initial step, based on a routing lookup on the
overlay packet. This is followed by IPsec transport mode processing
on the resulting (tunneled) IP packet with an SA determined through
an security association database (SAD) match on the tunnel header.
The result is compatible with dynamic routing in the overlay.
This document discusses this alternative and its impact on IPsec. It
addresses issues raised with IPsec tunnel mode IP encapsulation and
decapsulation (Appendix A), and interactions with the Internet Key
Exchange (IKE).
This document is a product of the X-Bone and DynaBone projects at
USC/ISI [5][6]. Comments are solicited and should be addressed to the
authors.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.