Subject: 54th IETF Meeting - XML Configuration BOF (xmlconf)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:15:33 -0400

XML Configuration BOF (xmlconf)

Monday, July 15 at 1300-1500
==============================

CHAIR:  Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

DESCRIPTION:

There is significant interest in the use of XML-based technologies
to manage and configure IP-based networks and networking equipment.
This BOF will discuss the high-level requirements for a network
configuration mechanism, and will explore how the existing
proprietary and standards-based XML technologies, such SOAP, WBEM
and SyncML, could be used to meet those requirements.  Based on
that discussion, we will determine whether we should pursue any
IETF work in this area.

AGENDA:

- Introduction and Agenda Bashing -- Margaret (10 min)

- Requirements Discussion
         - Operator Needs
                 -- Weijing Chen (10 min)
                 -- Ron Bonica (10 min)
         - Requirements Strawman -- Margaret (15 min)

- Survey of Existing Technologies -- Margaret (15 min)
         - SOAP
         - WBEM & CIM/XML
         - SyncML
         - Juniper

- Conversion of MIB Data Model to XML -- Andy Bierman (15 min)

- Discuss Further IETF Work (45 min)

READING LIST

Related Internet-Drafts:

Concepts and Requirements for XML Network Configuration
http://www.ietf.org/internet-dafts/draft-wasserman-xmlcomf-req-00.txt

Towards XML Based Management and Configuration
http://www.ietf.org/internet-dafts/draft-goddard-xmlconf-survey.txt

Guidelines for the Use of XML within IETF Protocols
http://www.ietf.org/internet-dafts/draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guidelines-05.txt

Network Management Observations
http://www.ietf.org/internet-dafts/draft-bierman-nm-observations-00.txt

Other Useful Pointers:

XML
http://www.w3.org/XML

SOAP
http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/

WBEM & CIM/XML
http://www.dmtf.org

SyncML
http://www.syncml.org/

JUNOScript
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos53/