Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-boudani-mpls-multicast-tree-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 06:31:22 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An Effective Solution for Multicast Scalability:The 
                          MPLS Multicast Tree (MMT)
	Author(s)	: A. Boudani, B. Cousin, J. Bonnin
	Filename	: draft-boudani-mpls-multicast-tree-02.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 01-Jul-02
	
A multicast router should keep forwarding state for every multicast
tree passing through it. The number of forwarding states grows with
the number of groups. In this paper, we present a new approach, the 
MPLS multicast Tree (MMT), which utilizes MPLS LSPs between 
multicast tree branching node routers in order to reduce forwarding 
states and enhance scalability. In our approach only routers that 
are acting as multicast tree branching node routers for a group 
need to keep forwarding state for that group. All other non-
branching node routers simply forward data packets by traffic 
engineered unicast routing using MPLS LSPs. We can deduce that our 
approach can be largely deployed because it uses for multicast 
traffic the same unicast MPLS forwarding scheme. We will briefly 
discuss the multicast scalability problem, related works and 
different techniques for forwarding state reduction. We discuss also
the advantages of our approach, and conclude that it is feasible and
promising. Finally, we analytically evaluate our approach.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boudani-mpls-multicast-tree-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-boudani-mpls-multicast-tree-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-boudani-mpls-multicast-tree-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.