Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-msec-gsakmp-light-sec-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:36:17 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multicast Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: GSAKMP Light
	Author(s)	: H. Harney, A. Schuett, A. Colegrove
	Filename	: draft-ietf-msec-gsakmp-light-sec-01.txt
	Pages		: 38
	Date		: 30-Jul-02
	
A protocol specification must balance two often conflicting goals:
to produce as general a protocol as possible, and to produce a
simple protocol.  The Group Secure Association Key Management
Protocol (GSAKMP) is a general protocol for creating and managing
cryptographic groups on a network.  This document describes
the GSAKMP-Light (GL) profile, a way to shorten the number of
messages exchanged during secure group establishment.  The GSAKMP
protocol assumed that group members joining a secure group had
no information about the specific security mechanisms used by the
group (for example, the key length, encryption protocol, etc).
GSAKMP-Light provides a profile for the case where group members
have been previously notified of these security mechanisms, used
for joining a group, during the group announcement or invitation.
This simplification removes 2 messages from the group establishment
portion of the GSAKMP protocol, eliminates the need for initiating
a unicast security association, and removes the need for many
of the optional fields of individual messages.  The profile
does not sacrifice any of the security properties of the full
protocol.  To facilitate the transmission of security mechanism
settings during session invitation or announcement, this document
also describes a useful default set of security algorithms and
configurations, Security Suite 1.  Full specification of this suite
allows an entire set of algorithms and settings to be described
to prospective group members in a concise manner.  Future security
suites can be defined as needed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-gsakmp-light-sec-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-msec-gsakmp-light-sec-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-gsakmp-light-sec-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.