Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-krb-wg-krb-dns-locate-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 07:54:59 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Kerberos WG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Distributing Kerberos KDC and Realm Information with 
                          DNS
	Author(s)	: K. Hornstein, J. Altman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-krb-wg-krb-dns-locate-03.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 29-Jul-02
	
Neither the Kerberos V5 protocol [RFC1510] nor the Kerberos V4 proto-
col [RFC????] describe any mechanism for clients to learn critical
configuration information necessary for proper operation of the pro-
tocol.  Such information includes the location of Kerberos key dis-
tribution centers or a mapping between DNS domains and Kerberos
realms.
Current Kerberos implementations generally store such configuration
information in a file on each client machine.  Experience has shown
this method of storing configuration information presents problems
with out-of-date information and scaling problems, especially when
using cross-realm authentication.
This memo describes a method for using the Domain Name System
[RFC1035] for storing such configuration information.  Specifically,
methods for storing KDC location and hostname/domain name to realm
mapping information are discussed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-krb-dns-locate-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-krb-wg-krb-dns-locate-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-krb-dns-locate-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.