Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ippm-owdp-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 06:33:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A One-way Active Measurement Protocol
	Author(s)	: S. Shalunov, B. Teitelbaum, M. Zekauskas
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ippm-owdp-04.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 03-Jul-02
	
The IETF IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) working group has proposed
draft standard metrics for one-way packet delay [RFC2679] and loss
[RFC 2680] across Internet paths.  Although there are now several
measurement platforms that implement collection of these metrics
[SURVEYOR], [RIPE], there is not currently a standard that would
permit initiation of test streams or exchange of packets to collect
singleton metrics in an interoperable manner.
With the increasingly wide availability of affordable global
positioning system (GPS) and CDMA based time sources, hosts
increasingly have available to them very accurate time
sources--either directly or through their proximity to NTP primary
(stratum 1) time servers.  By standardizing a technique for
collecting IPPM one-way active measurements, we hope to create an
environment where IPPM metrics may be collected across a far broader
mesh of Internet paths than is currently possible.  One particularly
compelling vision is of widespread deployment of open OWAMP servers
that would make measurement of one-way delay as commonplace as
measurement of round-trip time using an ICMP-based tool like ping.
Additional design goals of OWAMP include being hard to detect and
manipulate, security, logical separation of control and test
functionality, and support for small test packets.
OWAMP test traffic is hard to detect, because it is simply a stream
of UDP packets from and to negotiated port numbers with potentially
nothing static in the packets (size is negotiated, too).
Additionally, OWAMP supports an encrypted mode, that further obscures
the traffic, at the same time making it impossible to alter
timestamps undetectably.
Security features include optional authentication and/or encryption
of control and test messages.  These features may be useful to
prevent unauthorized access to results or man-in-the-middle attackers
who attempt to provide special treatment to OWAMP test streams or who
attempt to modify sender

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-owdp-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ippm-owdp-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-owdp-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.