Subject: 54th IETF Meeting - License to Enhance Messaging Oriented Network Access for Diverse Endpoints BOF (lemonade)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:49:29 -0400

License to Enhance Messaging Oriented Network Access for Diverse Endpoints BOF
(lemonade)

THURSDAY, July 18 at 1530-1730
===============================

CHAIRS: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
        Glenn Parsons <[email-masked]>

Mailing List
============
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked], In Body: subscribe um
Archive: http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/um_archive/maillist.html

Proposed Charter
================
Internet Unified Messaging brings together the body of work currently
chartered in VPIM, IFAX, IMAPEXT, and other IETF work groups.  The goal is
to provide a single infrastructure, mailbox, and set of interfaces for a
user to get, respond to, and manipulate all of their messages from a
collection of clients with varying capabilities, no matter what the media or
source.  Initial work, in the VPIM and FAX WG for example, focused on the
server and network interactions and has resulted in a rich base of Internet
Mail standards to support unified messaging.  Now that this work is stable
in the industry, and with the proliferation of smaller and often mobile
Internet devices, the issues of client access to Internet Mail need to be
addressed.

Given the potentially broad scope of "unified messaging", this BOF will
focus on the following work items:

1.  Enhance message retrieval protocols to satisfy the requirements for
low-latency playback.

2. Extend message deposit and retrieval to satisfy the requirements for
low-bit-rate transports and limited-processing devices, such as mobile
endpoints.

3. Create appropriate message notification protocols to satisfy the need of
reporting the status of different message contexts.

The BOF will coordinate its efforts with the 3GPP TSG T WG2 SWG3 Messaging
<http://www.3gpp.org/TB/T/T2/T2.htm> and other appropriate entities, such as
the W3C Mulitmodal interaction Activity <http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/> and
the
Open Mobile Alliance <http://www.openmobilealliance.org/>.

While there is obvious synergy, given the end-of-life of the VPIM and FAX
work groups and the similar membership, the BOF does not expect to
coordinate with those groups.

If IMAP-EXT gets rechartered, then the BOF will coordinate the LEMONADE
requirements with IMAP-EXT.  Otherwise, this BOF will consider extensions to
IMAP for the purposes of LEMONADE support.

Reading List
============
    - draft-burger-imap-chanuse-00.txt
    - draft-burger-um-reqts-00.txt
    - draft-neystadt-imap-status-counters-00.txt
    - draft-shapira-snap-03.txt

    - draft-shveidel-mediasize-00.txt
    - draft-vaudreuil-futuredelivery-00.txt

    - draft-vaudreuil-um-issues-00.txt

    - draft-wong-umcli-00.txt

Deep background reading

    - draft-nerenberg-imap-channel-01.txt
    - draft-nerenberg-imap-binary-02.txt

Milestones
==========
Oct 2002 - LEMONADE Requirements

Dec 2002 - Notification protocol

Mar 2003 - IMAP extensions for VM playback

Mar 2003 - IMAP extensions for mobile devices