Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 06:36:05 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Assigning Experimental and Testing Numbers Considered 
                          Useful
	Author(s)	: T. Narten
	Filename	: draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-01.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 28-Jun-02
	
When experimenting with or extending protocols, it is often necessary
to use some sort of protocol number or constant in order to actually
test or experiment with the new function, even when testing in a
closed environment. For example, to test a new DHCP option, one needs
an option number to identify the new function. This document
recommends that when writing IANA Considerations sections, authors
should consider assigning a small range of numbers for
experimentation purposes that implementers can use when testing
protocol extensions or other new features. This document reserves
some ranges of numbers for experimentation purposes in specific
protocols where the need to support experimentation has been
identified.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.