Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iab-unsaf-considerations-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 06:30:29 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IAB Considerations for UNilateral Self-Address Fixing 
                         (UNSAF) Across Network Address Translation
	Author(s)	: L. Daigle
	Filename	: draft-iab-unsaf-considerations-02.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 02-Jul-02
	
As a result of the nature of network address translation middleboxes
(NATs), communicating endpoints that are separated by one or more
NATs do not know how to refer to themselves using addresses that are
valid in the addressing realms of their (current and future) peers.
Various proposals have been made for 'UNilateral Self-Address Fixing
(UNSAF)' processes.  These are processes whereby some originating
endpoint attempts to determine  or fix the address (and port) by
which it is known to another endpoint -- e.g., to be able to use
address data in the protocol exchange, or to advertise a public
address from which it will receive connections.
This document outlines the reasons for which these proposals can be
considered at best as short term fixes to specific problems, and the
specific issues to be carefully evaluated before creating an UNSAF
proposal.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-unsaf-considerations-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-iab-unsaf-considerations-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-iab-unsaf-considerations-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.