Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kempf-secure-nd-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 06:36:40 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Securing IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Using Address Based 
                          Keys (ABKs)
	Author(s)	: J. Kempf
	Filename	: draft-kempf-secure-nd-01.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 28-Jun-02
	
When an IPv6 node receives a Router Advertisement, how does it know 
that the node which sent the advertisement is authorized to announce 
that it routes the prefix? When an IPv6 node receives a Neighbor 
Advertisement message, how does it know that the node sending the 
message is, in fact, authorized to claim the binding? The answer is, 
in the absence of a preconfigured IPsec security association among 
the nodes on the link and the routers, they don't. In this draft, a 
lightweight protocol is described for securing the signaling 
involved in IPv6 Neighbor Discovery. The protocol allows a node 
receiving a Router Advertisement or a Neighbor Advertisement to have 
the confidence that the message was authorized by the legitimate 
owner of the address or prefix being advertised without requiring a 
preconfigured IPsec security association. A certain degree of 
infrastructural support is required, but not any more than is 
currently common for public access IP networks. The protocol is 
based on some results in identity based cryptosystems that allow a 
publicly known identifier to function as a public key.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kempf-secure-nd-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kempf-secure-nd-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kempf-secure-nd-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.