Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-maes-speechsc-web-services-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 06:36:45 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Speech Engine Remote Control Protocols by treating 
                          Speech Engines and Audio Sub-systems as Web Services
	Author(s)	: S. Maes, A. Sakrajda
	Filename	: draft-maes-speechsc-web-services-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 28-Jun-02
	
This document proposes the use of the web service framework based 
on XML protocols to implement speech engine remote control 
protocols (SERCP).
This document is informational. It illustrates how web services 
could be used. It is not a detailed specification. This is expected
to be the output of the SPEECHSC activity, if it is decided to go 
in this direction. It also enumerates the requirements that have 
led to selecting a web service framework.
Speech engines (speech recognition, speaker, recognition, speech 
synthesis, recorders and playback, NL parsers, and any other speech
processing engines (e.g. speech detection, barge-in detection etc) 
etc...) as well as audio sub-systems (audio input and output 
sub-systems) can be considered as web services that can be 
described and asynchronously programmed via WSDL (on top of SOAP), 
combined in a flow described via WSFL, discovered via UDDI and 
asynchronously controlled and via SOAP that also enables 
asynchronous exchanges between the engines.
This solution presents the advantage to provide flexibility, 
scalability and extensibility while reusing an existing framework 
that fits the evolution of the web: web services and XML protocols 
[15].
This document proposes using web services as a framework for SERCP.
The proposed framework enables speech applications to control 
remote speech engines using the standardized mechanism of web 
services. The control messages may be tuned to the controlled 
speech engines.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-maes-speechsc-web-services-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-maes-speechsc-web-services-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-maes-speechsc-web-services-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.