Subject: WG Review: Extensible Authentication Protocol (eap)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:55:11 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Extensible Authentication Protocol (eap)
----------------------------------------

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Description of Working Group:

The EAP working group will restrict itself to the following work items 
in order to fully document and improve the interoperability of the 
existing EAP protocol:

1. IANA considerations for EAP.
2. Type space extension to support an expanded Type space.
3. EAP usage model.
4. Threat model and security requirements.
5. EAP state machine.
6. Documentation of interaction between EAP and other layers.
7. Resolution of interoperability issues.
8. EAP keying problem description and requirements.

Items 1-7 are intended to be covered within RFC 2248bis, the
revision to the EAP specification. Item 8 will be covered within
a separate document

The EAP WG is not currently chartered to review or standardize EAP
methods. However, when these work items are completed, the WG may be
rechartered, or a new WG may be formed to evaluate proposed methods.