Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-guttman-svrloc-serviceid-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:27:41 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The serviceid: URI Scheme for Service Location
	Author(s)	: E. Guttman
	Filename	: draft-guttman-svrloc-serviceid-02.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 13-Aug-02
	
The Service Location Protocol (SLP) allows clients to discover
services with little or no prior configuration.  SLP can be used to
advertise services of any kind through the use of URLs.  However, SLP
uses URLs for two purposes: as a LOCATOR (indicating the location of
the service) and as an IDENTIFIER (used for subsequent operations on
a service, such as registration, deregistration and looking up
attributes.)  Confounding these two functions in one object leads to
certain problems.  The serviceid: scheme separates identification
from location, eliminating these problems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-guttman-svrloc-serviceid-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-guttman-svrloc-serviceid-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-guttman-svrloc-serviceid-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.