Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jamjoom-icmpreject-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:50:12 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Reject Message Extension for ICMP
	Author(s)	: H. Jamjoom
	Filename	: draft-jamjoom-icmpreject-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2002-8-29
	
This document specifies the incorporation of a Reject message to 
ICMP to improve a serverÆs ability for controlling TCP 
connection requests during periods of overload beyond dropping 
them.  The Reject message serves two purposes: (1) it can inform 
a connecting host (the client) to completely abort the 
connection attempt as if a connection timeout has expired, and 
(2) modify the retransmission timeout interval to reduce the 
clientÆs wait times and also to break the re-synchronization of 
connection requests when multiple SYN packets are dropped.  
Introducing an additional ICMP message, as opposed to modifying 
the behavior of TCP, was motivated by the need for backward 
compatibility (i.e., a host can ignore the ICMP Reject message 
without affecting the behavior of TCP) and incremental 
deployment.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jamjoom-icmpreject-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jamjoom-icmpreject-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jamjoom-icmpreject-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.