Subject: Call for Nomcom Volunteers

From: Phil Roberts <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:56:45 -0400

This is the call for volunteers to participate in the 2002 IETF
Nominations Committee, the committee that will select this year's
nominees for the IAB and the IESG.  Details about the Nominations
Committee process can be found in RFC 2727.

The NomCom is the IETF's way of choosing its leadership. Typically,
half of the IAB and half of the IESG is selected each year. It is
possible that the NomCom will have to fill more or fewer slots than
this, due to the creation or elimination of positions by the IESG,
resignations, transfers, etc. IESG members whose terms are up are
Harald Alvestrand, IETF Chair; Scott Bradner, Transport; Randy Bush,
Operations & Management; Patrik Faltstrom, Applications; Thomas Narten,
Internet; Bill Fenner, Routing; and Jeff Schiller, Security. IAB
members whose terms are up are: Ran Atkinson, Rob Austein, Fred Baker,
Steve Deering, Sally Floyd, and Geoff Huston.

For the NomCom to work as it should, the pool from which the volunteers
are chosen should be as large as possible. The more people who
volunteer, the better chance we have of choosing a random yet
representative cross section of the IETF population. Volunteering for
the NomCom is also a good way of serving the IETF community. So please
volunteer.

NomCom members are barred from nomination during the year they serve,
even if they later resign. Therefore being selected for the NomCom
provides complete immunity against selection for the IAB or IESG during
that year.

People who volunteer should be sure they can the afford the time,
several hours per week for the next 4-5 months.  The task basically
involves the following activities:

  - Reading candidate's statements
  - Participating in a weekly 2 hour conference call.
  - Attending the IETF meetings held during the selection process.
  - Doing several interviews.
  - Speaking to IETF participants about the candidates, the job
    requirements or the process.

All NomCom deliberations and supporting information that relates to
specific nominees, candidates, and confirmed candidates are
confidential. The NomCom members will be exposed to confidential
information as a result of their deliberations, their interactions with
those they consult, and from those who provide requested supporting
information. All members are expected to handle this information in a
manner consistent with its sensitivity.

To qualify as a volunteer, a person needs to have attended 2 out of the
last 3 IETF meetings.  Anyone who meets this requirement is invited to
volunteer by emailing your name, telephone number(s), and email address
to [email-masked] no later than September 6, 2002.  Please put
"NOMCOM VOLUNTEER" in the subject line.

Once the list closes, I'll provide the list to the IETF secretariat who
will verify the eligibility of the each of the volunteers (e.g. has
attended at least 2 of the last 3 IETFs).  I will also ask them to
publish the list prior to verification for volunteers to confirm that I
actually received their email volunteering.  This list will be
published at: <http://www.ietf.org/nomcom/index.html

We will then run the selection process and announce the results the
week of September 16, 2002. Ten (10) NomCom voting members will be
chosen from the pool of volunteers according to the procedure described
by Donald Eastlake in RFC 2777, "Publicly Verifiable Nomcom Random
Selection". The source of randomness will be based on the shares traded
number of 12 stocks selected by the NomCom chair.

The official shares traded numbers (denoted in 000s) will be drawn from
the September 16, 2002 Wall Street Journal which reports the sales
figures from the previous trading day - September 13, 2002. If trading
in any of the stocks  is suspended, then the shares traded will be
assumed to be 0.

Please volunteer.

Thank you,

Phil Roberts <[email-masked]>

STOCKS USED IN THE NOMCOM SELECTION PROCESS:

Martha Stewart Living (MSO)
Harley-Davidson (HDI)
Motorola (MOT)
Sony (SNE)
Metlife (MET)
Home Depot (HD)
Wrigley (WWY)
Granite Construction, Inc (GVA)
UPS (UPS)
Marriott International (MAR)
Quest Diagnostics (DGX)
Nordstrom (JWN)