Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-tsvarea-sipchange-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 07:55:38 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Change Process for the Session Initiation Protocol 
                          (SIP)
	Author(s)	: A. Mankin, S. Bradner, R. Mahy
	Filename	: draft-tsvarea-sipchange-03.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2002-8-27
	
The IETF's Session Initiation Protocol (SIP, RFC 3261), was
originally developed for initiation of multimedia sessions.  Internet
multimedia, voice over IP, IP telephony, and SIP, have become quite
popular, both inside IETF and in consideration by other standards
groups, and the applications of SIP have grown.  The task for IETF
management of SIP has been to steer SIP to its core strengths,
applications that it does best.  One result of popularity has been a
continual flood of suggestions for SIP modifications and extensions.
This memo describes how the Transport Area directors along with the
SIP and SIPPING working group chairs have decided to deal with such
suggestions.   The effects of adding new features, often in a case
where a point solution is sought, can be to damage security or to
greatly increase complexity.  Therefore this memo documents a process
intended to apply architectural discipline to the future development
of SIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tsvarea-sipchange-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-tsvarea-sipchange-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-tsvarea-sipchange-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.