Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-amit-quick-start-01.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:43:52 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Quick-Start for TCP and IP
	Author(s)	: A. Jain, S. Floyd
	Filename	: draft-amit-quick-start-01.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2002-8-28
	
This draft outlines an optional Quick-Start mechanism for transport
protocols to determine an optional allowed initial congestion window
or initial sending rate at the start of a data transfer.  This
mechanism is designed to be used by a range of transport protocols;
however, in this document we only describe its use with TCP and IPv4.
By using Quick-Start, a TCP host, say, host A, would indicate its
desired initial sending rate in packets per second in a Quick Start
Request option in the IP header of the initial TCP SYN or SYN/ACK
packet. Each router in turn could either approve the specified
initial rate, reduce the specified initial rate, or indicate that
nothing above the default initial rate for that protocol would be
allowed.  The Quick-Start mechanism also can determine if there are
routers along the path that do not understand the Quick Start Request
option, or have not agreed to the initial rate described in the
option. If all of the routers along the path have agreed to the
initial rate in the Quick-Start Request, then TCP host B communicates
this to TCP host A in a transport-level Quick-Start Response in the
answering SYN/ACK or ACK packet.  Quick-Start is designed to allow
TCP connections to use high initial windows in circumstances when
there is significant unused bandwidth along the path, and all of the
routers along the path support the Quick-Start Request.  We note that
this is currently not a mature proposal, but an outline of one
possible path of development in the IP protocol, and a request for
feedback from the community.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-amit-quick-start-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-amit-quick-start-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-amit-quick-start-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.