Subject: WG Review: Addition to Charter for Remote Network Monitoring (rmonmib)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:13:15 -0400

An addition to the charter for theRemote Network Monitoring (rmonmib)
Working Group has been subitted, and is provided here for informational
purposes. The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The current charter can be accessed at: 

	http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/rmonmib-charter.html

----------- draft for additonal work for RMONMIB WG ---

There is a need to extend the RMON framework to monitor end devices
such as IP Phones, pagers, Instant Message Clients, Cell Phones,
and PDA devices. An end-to-end user experience of the quality of
service (QoS) and performance for such an application is a combination
of device performance and transport network performance. Monitoring
should be performed at the application layer that reflects a specific
end user experience on a particular IP end point, reflecting specific
transport network performance.

This working group will extend the RMON Framework to allow Real-time
Application QoS information of these types of end devices to be
retrieved with SNMP, independent of the technology used to
perform the measurements.

The WG will define a common framework and set of MIB objects,
within the current RMON framework, for the identification and
characterization of application QoS parameters, and the reporting
of the on-going measurement reports produced by these mechanisms.
Common metrics and derived metrics will be characterized and reported
in a manner consistent with the IP Performance Metrics Framework
(RFC 2330).

The WG will also define a set of RAQMON Application level QoS PDUs
to have common formats of reporting statistics between a RAQMON
Data Source and a RAQMON Report Collector. These Common
RAQMON PDUs will be transported over existing protocols, such as
RTCP or SNMP.

The measurement methodology is out of the scope of the RAQMON work
and will be in conformance with the IPPM WG recommendations.
This WG will coordinate with the AVT WG, which will define a
mechanism for the transport of QoS metrics for IP end-devices
using RTP, and be used as a RAQMON transport mechanism for
performance measurements for IP phones.

Security aspects related to RAQMON reports will be cognizant of
privacy and anonymity issues while being responsive to the needs
of measurement applications.