Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-roychowdhury-sipping-pathtrace-reqts-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 07:56:35 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Requirement for Analysis of SIP Paths
	Author(s)	: A. Roychowdhury
	Filename	: draft-roychowdhury-sipping-pathtrace-reqts-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2002-8-27
	
There is no defined mechanism today by which SIP proxies can insert
path related information in a SIP message that is being routed
across a network.
As an example, a network administrator may want to trace the path as
a  SIP message traverses across her network to detect failure
points.
As another example, a user may want to discover capabilities of
servers in the path of a call. Although there is an informal mention
of using the OPTIONS method to achieve the latter example [1], there
is no defined way to achieve the same today.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roychowdhury-sipping-pathtrace-reqts-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-roychowdhury-sipping-pathtrace-reqts-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-roychowdhury-sipping-pathtrace-reqts-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.