Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-floyd-tcp-highspeed-01.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:48:58 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: HighSpeed TCP for Large Congestion Windows
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd
	Filename	: draft-floyd-tcp-highspeed-01.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 2002-8-29
	
This document proposes HighSpeed TCP, a modification to TCP's
congestion control mechanism for use with TCP connections with large
congestion windows.  The congestion control mechanisms of the current
Standard TCP constrains the congestion windows that can be achieved
by TCP in realistic environments.  For example, for a Standard TCP
connection with 1500-byte packets and a 100 ms round-trip time,
achieving a steady-state throughput of 10 Gbps would require an
average congestion window of 83,333 segments, and a packet drop rate
of at most one congestion event every 5,000,000,000 packet (or
equivalently, at most one congestion event every 1 2/3 hours).  This
is widely acknowledged as an unrealistic constraint.  To address this
limitation of TCP, this document proposes HighSpeed TCP, and solicits
experimentation and feedback from the wider community

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tcp-highspeed-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-floyd-tcp-highspeed-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tcp-highspeed-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.