Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vaudreuil-1894bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:20:56 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An Extensible Message Format for Delivery Status      
                          Notifications
	Author(s)	: K. Moore, G. Vaudreuil
	Filename	: draft-vaudreuil-1894bis-02.txt
	Pages		: 38
	Date		: 09-Aug-02
	
This memo defines a MIME content-type that may be used by a message 
transfer agent (MTA) or electronic mail gateway to report the result of 
an attempt to deliver a message to one or more recipients. This content-
type is intended as a machine-processable replacement for the various 
types of delivery status notifications currently used in Internet 
electronic mail. 
Because many messages are sent between the Internet and other messaging 
systems (such as X.400 or the so-called 'LAN-based' systems), the DSN 
protocol is designed to be useful in a multi- protocol messaging 
environment. To this end, the protocol described in this memo provides 
for the carriage of 'foreign' addresses and error codes, in addition to 
those normally used in Internet mail. Additional attributes may also be 
defined to support 'tunneling' of foreign notifications through Internet 
mail.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vaudreuil-1894bis-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vaudreuil-1894bis-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vaudreuil-1894bis-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.