Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:43:24 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IPv4 mapped address considered harmful
	Author(s)	: J. Hagino
	Filename	: draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 2002-8-28
	
IPv6 address architecture [Hinden, 1998] defines IPv4 mapped address.
The representation is used in IPv6 basic API [Gilligan, 1999] to denote
IPv4 destinations on AF_INET6 socket within the API.  At the same time,
there are protocol proposals that use IPv4 mapped address on wire.
Therefore, IPv4 mapped address has two meanings, and they are not
distinguishable from the userland applications.  This draft discusses
security threats due to the dual use of IPv4 mapped address.  It also
discusses threats due to the additional complexities introduced by IPv4
mapped address.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.