Subject: Document Action: Introduction to Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:40:08 -0400

The IESG has approved the internet draft Introduction to Version 3 of
the Internet-Standard Management Framework
<draft-ietf-snmpv3-rfc2570bis-03.txt> as an Informational RFC.

The IESG also agrees with the recommendation to reclassify RFCs 1157,
1441, 1901, 1909 and 1910 as Historic and has approved this
reclassification.

This document is the product of the SNMPv3 Working Group. The IESG
contact persons are Randy Bush and Bert Wijnen.

Technical Summary
 
This document is an introduction to the third version of the
Internet-Standard Management Framework, termed the SNMP version 3
Management Framework (SNMPv3).

It describes the relationship between the SNMP version 3 (SNMPv3)
specifications and the specifications of the SNMP version 1
(SNMPv1) Management Framework, the SNMP version 2 (SNMPv2)
Management Framework, and the Community-based Administrative
Framework for SNMPv2.

It also provides a roadmap to the multiple documents which contain
the relevant specifications.

The document further recommends reclassification of RFCs 1157,
1441, 1901, 1909 and 1910 as Historic and explains why.

Working Group Summary

The Working Group reached consensus on this document and its
recommendation.

Protocol Quality

Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush reviewed the specification for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please add the following to the end of section 7.8:
 
      Work is underway to specify how AES is to be used within the
      User-based Security Model (USM). This will be a separate
      document.