Subject: Document Action: The MIME Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed Content-Type to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:22:27 -0400

The IESG has approved publication of the Internet-Draft
The MIME Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed Content-Type
<draft-herriot-application-multiplexed-05.txt> as an 
Informational RFC.  This has been reviewed in the IETF 
but is not the product of an IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned Freed.

Note to RFC Editor

Please include the following text as an IESG Note:

The IESG believes use of this media type is only appropriate in
situations where the producer is fully aware of the capabilities and
limitations of the consumer. In particular, this mechanism is very
dependent on the producer knowing when the consumer will need a
particular component of a multipart object. But consumers potentially
work in many different ways and different consumers may need different
things at different times. This mechanism provides no means for a
producer to determine the needs of a particular consumer and how they
are to be accomodated.

Alternative mechanisms, such as a protocol based on BEEP which is
capable of bidirectional communication between the producer and
consumer, should be considered when the capabilities of the consumer
are not known by the producer.