Subject: RFC 3358 on Optional Checksums in Intermediate System to Intermediate System (ISIS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:54:44 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3358

        Title:	    Optional Checksums in Intermediate System to
                    Intermediate System (ISIS)
        Author(s):  T. Przygienda
        Status:	    Informational
	Date:       August 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      4
        Characters: 8266
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-isis-wg-snp-checksum-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3358.txt

This document describes an optional extension to the Intermediate
System to Intermediate System (ISIS) protocol, used today by several 
Internet Service Proviers (ISPs) for routing within their clouds.
ISIS is an interior gateway routing protocol developed originally by
OSI and used with IP extensions as Interior Gateway Protocol (IGP).
ISIS originally does not provide Complete Sequence Numbers Protocol
Data (CSNP) and Partial Sequence Numbers Protocol Data Unit (PSNP)
checksums, relying on the underlying layers to verify the integrity of
information provided.  Experience with the protocol shows that this
precondition does not always hold and scenarios can be imagined that
impact protocol functionality.  This document introduces a new
optional Type, Length and Value (TLV) providing checksums.

This document is a product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.