Subject: Protocol Action: SDP Simple Capability Declaration to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:41:14 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'SDP Simple Capability 
Declaration' <draft-andreasen-mmusic-sdp-simcap-05.txt> as a Proposed 
Standard.  This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of 
an IETF Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and 
Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
  This document defines a set of Session Description Protocol (SDP) 
  attributes that enables SDP to provide a minimal and backwards 
  compatible capability declaration mechanism. Such capability 
  declarations can be used as input to a subsequent session 
  negotiation, which is done by means outside the scope of this 
  document. This provides a simple and limited solution to the general
  capability negotiation problem which will be addressed by the next
  generation of SDP.
   
Working Group Summary
 
  The mmusic working group reviewed and supported the publication of 
  this document, though it remained an individual contribution because of
  the simplicity in relation to the longer-term work. As an individual
  standards track document, this specification had a one-month Last
  Call and no negative comments were received.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.
  Prototype implementations have been reported.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please change the Security Considertations Section (5.) to read:

5. Security Considerations

      Capability negotiation of security-sensitive parameters is a
      delicate process, and should not be done without careful
      evaluation of the design, including the possible susceptibility
      to downgrade attacks. Use of capability re-negotiation may
      make the session susceptible to denial of service, without
      design care as to authentication.