Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 07:44:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Layer-Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) Extensions for PPP
                          Link Control P[rotocol (LCP) Negotiation
	Author(s)	: W. Palter, W. Townsley
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-06.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 02-Aug-02
	
This document defines extensions to the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol
(L2TP) for enhanced support of link-specific Point to Point Protocol
(PPP) options. PPP endpoints typically have direct access to the
common physical media connecting them and thus have detailed
knowledge about the media that is in use. When the L2TP is used, the
two PPP peers are no longer directly connected over the same physical
media.  Instead, L2TP inserts a virtual connection over some or all
of the PPP connection by tunneling PPP frames over a packet switched
network such as IP.  Under some conditions, an L2TP endpoint may need
to negotiate PPP Link Control Protocol (LCP) options at a location
which may not have access to all of the media information necessary
for proper participation in the LCP negotiation.  This document
provides a mechanism for communicating desired LCP options between
L2TP endpoints in advance of PPP LCP negotiation at the far end of an
L2TP tunnel, as well as a mechanism for communicating the negotiated
LCP options back to where the native PPP link resides.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.