Subject: Protocol Action: VPIM Addressing to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:52:45 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'VPIM Addressing'
<draft-ietf-vpim-address-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the Voice Profile for Internet Mail Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
      This document lists the various VPIM email address formats that are
      currently in common use and defines several new address formats for
      special case usage. Requirements are imposed on the formats of
      addresses used in VPIM submission mode.
 
Working Group Summary
 
      VPIM v2, the first voice messaging architecture produced by this working
      group, does not place any restrictions on the email address format.
      However, it does recommend the use of a numeric left hand side (LHS) since
      many legacy voice mail systems only use digits to identify mailboxes.
      Further, it recommends a structure to handle private, international
      and extensions. The private format has become deployed in most
      existing VPIM v2 systems, further some systems will only accept
      messages from addresses with a numeric LHS.
       
      IVM, the second set voice messaging architecture being worked on by the
      VPIM working group, does not describe addressing at all. The LHS format
      is left to the discretion of the mailbox owner. However, it is useful
      in some cases (like submission or tunneling) to specify a LHS format. A
      format based on GSTN addressing is presented in this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
      Ned Freed reviewed this document for the IESG.