Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-floyd-tcp-slowstart-01.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:21:21 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Limited Slow-Start for TCP with Large Congestion 
                          Windows
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd
	Filename	: draft-floyd-tcp-slowstart-01.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 09-Aug-02
	
This note proposes a modification for TCP's slow-start for use with
TCP connections with large congestion windows.  For TCP connections
that are able to use congestion windows of thousands (or tens of
thousands) of MSS-sized segments (for MSS the sender's MAXIMUM
SEGMENT SIZE), the current slow-start procedure can result in
increasing the congestion window by thousands of segments in a single
round-trip time.  Such an increase can easily result in thousands of
packets being dropped in one round-trip time.  This is often counter-
productive for the TCP flow itself, and is also hard on the rest of
the traffic sharing the congested link.  This note proposes Limited
Slow-Start, limiting the number of segments by which the congestion
window is increased for one window of data during slow-start, in
order to improve performance for TCP connections with large
congestion windows.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tcp-slowstart-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-floyd-tcp-slowstart-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tcp-slowstart-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.