Subject: Protocol Action: Default Address Selection for IPv6 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:12:43 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Default Address Selection for
IPv6' <draft-ietf-ipv6-default-addr-select-09.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the IP Version 6 Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
      In IPv6, a node may have multiple addresses. Consequently, when
      initiating a communication with a destination, there is a choice
      as to which destination address to use (if the destination has
      multiple addresses listed in the DNS) as well as to which source
      address to use (if the initiating node has multiple addresses).
      This document describes two algorithms, for source address selection
      and for destination address selection. The algorithms specify
      default behavior for all IPv6 implementations. They do not override
      choices made by applications or upper-layer protocols, nor do they
      preclude the development of more advanced mechanisms for address
      selection. The two algorithms share a common framework, including an
      optional mechanism for allowing administrators to provide policy
      that can override the default behavior. In dual stack
      implementations, the framework allows the destination address
      selection algorithm to consider both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses -
      depending on the available source addresses, the algorithm might
      prefer IPv6 addresses over IPv4 addresses, or vice-versa.

Working Group Summary
 
There was consenus in the WG for this document and no issues were
raised during the Last Call.

Protocol Quality
 
This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.