Subject: Protocol Action: Remote Network Monitoring MIB Protocol Identifier Reference Extensions to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:27:26 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Remote Network Monitoring 
MIB Protocol Identifier Reference Extensions'
<draft-ietf-rmonmib-appverbs-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This
document is the product of the Remote Network Monitoring Working
Group. The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
   
This memo defines extensions to the Protocol Identifier Reference
document (RFC 2895) for the identification of application verb
information. It does not obsolete any portion of the Protocol
Identifier Reference document. In particular, it describes the
algorithms required to identify protocol operations (verbs)
within the protocol encapsulations managed with the Remote
Network Monitoring MIB Version 2 (RFC 2021).
   
Working Group Summary
   
The working group has consensus on this document.
   
Protocol Quality
   
This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.

Note to RFC-Editor:

Please append this text to the end of the Security Considerations section: 

    However, if a MIB collection is designed which utilizes this type of
    Protocol Identifier, then such a collection may expose which verbs
    in an application protocol are used in a network. Inclusion of this
    additional information may require more consideration for protection.
    MIB writers should address such considerations.