Subject: BCP 60, RFC 3360 on Inappropriate TCP Resets Considered Harmful

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:40:20 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 60
        RFC 3360

        Title:	    Inappropriate TCP Resets Considered Harmful
        Author(s):  S. Floyd
        Status:	    Best Current Practice
	Date:       August 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 46748
        SeeAlso:    BCP 60

        I-D Tag:    draft-floyd-tcp-reset-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3360.txt

This document is being written because there are a number of
firewalls in the Internet that inappropriately reset a TCP connection
upon receiving certain TCP SYN packets, in particular, packets with
flags set in the Reserved field of the TCP header.  In this document
we argue that this practice is not conformant with TCP standards, and
is an inappropriate overloading of the semantics of the TCP reset.
We also consider the longer-term consequences of this and similar
actions as obstacles to the evolution of the Internet infrastructure.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.