Subject: IPv6 Operations (v6ops) Interim Meeting

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:11:38 -0400

Hi All,

As we saw in Yokohama, the global deployment of IPv6 is underway,
creating an IPv4/IPv6 Internet consisting of IPv4-only, IPv6-only and
IPv4/IPv6 networks and nodes.  This deployment must be properly
handled to avoid the division of the Internet into separate IPv4 and
IPv6 networks while ensuring global addressing and connectivity for
all IPv4 and IPv6 nodes.

To meet this need, we have proposed the formation of IPv6 Operations
Working Group (v6ops) within the OPS area.  If approved by the IESG,
this new WG will develop guidelines for the operation of a shared
IPv4/IPv6 Internet and provide guidance for network operators on how
to deploy IPv6 into existing IPv4-only networks, as well as into new
network installations.

In anticipation of IESG approval for the formation of this new WG, we
have scheduled an interim meeting of the v6ops WG for September 18th &
19th, 2002 in Sunnyvale, CA.  A proposed agenda for the interim
meeting is included below.

Further information about this meeting, including travel details and a 
sign-up form can be found at:

http://home.attbi.com/~margaretw/v6ops-Interim-Sep02.html

Attendance at the meeting will be limited to 85 people, due to the size
of the available facility.  If you plan to attend, please register ASAP,
as space is filling up fast.

itojun and Margaret
[The proposed v6ops WG chairs]

IPv6 Operations (v6ops) Interim Meeting
Wednesday & Thursday, September 18th & 19th, 2002
=================================================

CHAIRS		Jun-Ichiro itojun Hagino <[email-masked]>
		Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

LOCATION	Wind River
		201 Moffett Park Drive
		Sunnyvale, CA

SCHEDULE	0830-1730, Wednesday & Thursday

SIGN-UP/INFO	http://home.attbi.com/~margaretw/v6ops-Interim-Sep02.html

PROPOSED AGENDA

Wednesday, September 18th
=========================

0830-0900	Continental Breakfast

0900-1200

Introduction and Agenda Bashing (10 min)

Review v6ops Charter (as approved by IESG) (2 hrs)
	- Overall mission of the WG
	- Review Task List
	- Reach consensus on goals and priorities 

Discuss Candidate Work Items:

- Survey of IPv4 Addresses in IETF Standards -- Phil Nesser (15 min)
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv4survey-02.txt
	- Current status and open issues
	- Accept as a WG work item?

- Transition Mechanisms Update -- Erik Nordmark (15 min)
   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-mech-v2-00.txt
	- Current status and open issues
	- Accept as a WG work item?

1200-0130	Lunch

0130-0530

Security Implications of Mixed IPv4/IPv6 Networks (1-1/2 hours)

Discussion/Status of Deployment Scenario/Solutions Work
	- Introduction and Re-Focus (15 min)
	- Cellular Networks (30 min)
	- ISP Networks (30 min)
	- Unmanaged Network (30 minutes)
	- Enterprise Networks (30 min)

Thursday, September 19th
========================

0830-0900	Continental Breakfast

0900-1200	[Deployment Solution Break-outs]

Goals of Breakout Sessions and Formation of Breakout Groups (15 min)

Deployment Solution Breakouts (2-1/2 hours)
	- Cellular Networks
	- ISP Networks
	- Unmanaged Networks
	- Enterprise Networks

1200-0130	Lunch

0130-0530	

Breakout Reports and Next Steps
	- Cellular Networks (20 min)
	- ISP Networks (20 min)
	- Unmanaged Networks (20 min)
	- Enterprise Networks (20 min)

New Work Related to v6ops Charter (2 hours)

Wrap-up and Review of Action Items (30 min)