Subject: WG ACTION: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:58:53 -0400

A new working group has been formed in the Operations and Management 
Area of the IETF.  For additional information, contact the Area 
Directors or the WG Chairs.

IPv6 Operations (v6ops) 
------------------------

Current Status: Active Proposed Working Group

 Chair(s):
 Jun-Ichiro itojun Hagino <[email-masked]>
 Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

 Operations and Management Area Director(s):
 Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
 Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

 Operations and Management Area Advisor: 
 Randy Bush <[email-masked]>

 Mailing List: 
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: Send mail to [email-masked], with
               "subscribe v6ops" (no quotes) in the body
               of the message.
 Archive:      http://ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/
               ftp://ops.ietf.org/pub/lists/v6ops.*

 Description of Working Group: 

 The global deployment of IPv6 is underway, creating an IPv4/IPv6
 Internet consisting of IPv4-only, IPv6-only and IPv4/IPv6 networks and
 nodes. This deployment must be properly handled to avoid the division
 of the Internet into separate IPv4 and IPv6 networks while ensuring
 global addressing and connectivity for all IPv4 and IPv6 nodes.

 The IPv6 Operations Working Group (v6ops) develops guidelines for the
 operation of a shared IPv4/IPv6 Internet and provides guidance for
 network operators on how to deploy IPv6 into existing IPv4-only
 networks, as well as into new network installations.

 The v6ops working group will:

 (1) Solicit input from network operators and users to identify operational 
      or security issues with the IPv4/IPv6 Internet, and determine 
      solutions or workarounds to those issues. This includes
      identifying standards work that is needed in other IETF WGs or 
      areas and working with those groups/areas to begin appropriate 
      work. These issues will be documented in Informational or BCP 
      RFCs, or in Internet-Drafts.

      For example, important pieces of the Internet infrastructure 
      such as DNS, SMTP and SIP have specific operational issues when 
      they operate in a shared IPv4/IPv6 network. The v6ops WG will 
      cooperate with the relevant areas and WGs to document those 
      issues, and find protocol or operational solutions to those 
      problems.

 (2) Provide feedback to the IPv6 WG regarding portions of the IPv6 
      specifications that cause, or are likely to cause, operational 
      or security concerns, and work with the IPv6 WG to resolve 
      those concerns. This feedback will be published in 
      Internet-Drafts or RFCs.

 (3) Publish Informational RFCs that help application developers 
      (within and outside the IETF) understand how to develop IP 
      version-independent applications. Work with the Applications 
      area, and other areas, to ensure that these documents answer 
      the real-world concerns of application developers. This 
      includes helping to identify IPv4 dependencies in existing 
      IETF application protocols and working with other areas and/or 
      groups within the IETF to resolve them.

 (4) Publish Informational or BCP RFCs that identify potential security 
      risks in the operation of shared IPv4/IPv6 networks, and document 
      operational practices to eliminate or mitigate those risks. This 
      work will be done in cooperation with the Security area and other
      relevant areas or working groups.

 (5) Publish Informational or BCP RFCs that provide viable solutions for 
      deploying IPv6 within common network environments, such as 
      ISP Networks (including Core, HFC/Cable, DSL & Dial-up networks), 
      Enterprise Networks, Unmanaged Networks (Home/Small Office), and 
      Cellular Networks. 

      These documents should serve as useful guides to network
      operators and users on how to deploy IPv6 within their existing
      IPv4 networks, as well as in new network installations.

 (6) Assume responsibility for advancing the basic IPv6 transition 
      mechanism RFCs along the standards track, if their applicability 
      to common deployment solutions is demonstrated in (5) above:

      Transition Mechanisms (RFC 2893)
      SIIT (RFC 2765)
      NAT-PT (RFC 2766)
      6to4 (RFC 3056 & 3068)

      This includes updating these mechanisms, as needed, to resolve 
      problems. In some cases, these mechanisms may be deprecated 
      (i.e. moved to Historic), if they are not found to be applicable 
      to the deployment solutions described in (5) or if serious flaws 
      are encountered that lead us to recommend against their use.
                 
 (7) Identify open operational or security issues with the deployment 
      solutions documented in (5) and fully document those open 
      issues in Internet-Drafts or Informational RFCs. Work to find 
      workarounds or solutions to basic, IP-level deployment issues 
      that can be solved using widely-applicable transition mechanisms, 
      such as dual-stack, tunneling or translation.

      If the satisfactory resolution of a deployment issue requires
      the standardization of a new, widely-applicable transition
      mechanism that does not properly fit into any other IETF WG or
      area, the v6ops WG will standardize a transition mechanism
      to meet that need.

 IPv6 operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or
 technologies (such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing
 Protocols, DNS or Sub-IP Protocols) are the primary responsibility of
 the groups or areas responsible for those protocols or technologies.
 However, the v6ops group will provide input to those areas/groups, as
 needed, and cooperate with those areas/groups in developing and
 reviewing solutions to IPv6 operational and deployment problems. 

 Goals and Milestones:

 OCT 02 Publish Cellular Deployment Scenarios as a WG I-D
 OCT 02 Publish Unmanaged Network Deployment Scenarios as a WG I-D
 OCT 02 Publish ISP Deployment Scenarios as a WG I-D
 OCT 02 Publish Cellular Deployment Solutions as a WG I-D
 OCT 02 Publish Survey of IPv4 Addresses in IETF Standards as WG I-D
 DEC 02 Submit Transition Mechanisms to IESG for DS
 DEC 02 Publish Unmanaged Network Deployment Solutions as a WG I-D
 DEC 02 Publish Enterprise Deployment Scenarios as a WG I-D
 DEC 02 Publish ISP Deployment Solutions as a WG I-D
 DEC 02 Submit Cellular Deployment Scenarios to IESG for Info
 DEC 02 Submit Cellular Deployment Solutions to IESG for BCP
 FEB 03 Submit Survey of IPv4 Addresses in IETF Standards to IESG for Info
 APR 03 Publish Enterprise Deployment Solutions as a WG I-D
 APR 03 Submit Unmanaged Network Deployment Scenarios to IESG for Info
 APR 03 Submit Unmanaged Network Deployment Solutions to IESG for BCP
 APR 03 Submit ISP Deployment Scenarios to IESG for Info
 APR 03 Submit ISP Deployment Solutions to IESG for BCP
 AUG 03 Submit Enterprise Deployment Scenarios to IESG for Info
 AUG 03 Submit Enterprise Deployment Solutions to IESG for BCP 

 Internet-Drafts: 

 Request For Comments: 

 Network Address Translation-Protocol Translation (NAT-PT) (RFC 2766)
	(49836 bytes)
 Stateless IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm (SIIT) (RFC 2765) (59465 bytes)
 Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers (RFC 2893) (62731 bytes)
 Connection of IPv6 Domains via IPv4 Clouds (RFC 3056) (54902 bytes)
 An anycast prefix for 6to4 relay routers (RFC 3068) (20120 bytes)