Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-josefsson-pppext-eap-tls-eap-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 07:56:40 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Protected EAP Protocol (PEAP)
	Author(s)	: H. Andersson, S. Josefsson, G. Zorn, 
                          D. Simon, A. Palekar
	Filename	: draft-josefsson-pppext-eap-tls-eap-03.txt
	Pages		: 47
	Date		: 2002-9-3
	
The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), defined in RFC 2284,
provides for support of multiple authentication methods. While EAP was
originally created for use with PPP, it has since been adopted for use
with IEEE 802.1X 'Network Port Authentication'.
Since its deployment, a number of weaknesses in EAP have become
apparent. These include lack of protection of the user identity,
notification messages or the EAP negotiation; no standardized mechanism
for key exchange; no built-in support for fragmentation and reassembly;
no support for acknowledged success/failure indications; and lack of
support for fast reconnect.
By wrapping the EAP protocol within TLS, Protected EAP (PEAP) addresses
these deficiencies. Any EAP method running within PEAP is provided with
built-in support for key exchange, session resumption, acknowledged and
protected result exchange, and fragmentation and reassembly.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-josefsson-pppext-eap-tls-eap-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-josefsson-pppext-eap-tls-eap-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-josefsson-pppext-eap-tls-eap-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.