Subject: Protocol Action: Sieve Extension: Relational Tests to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:44:33 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Sieve Extension: Relational
Tests' <draft-segmuller-sieve-relation-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed ad Patrik
Faltstrom.
 
Technical Summary
   
This document describes the RELATIONAL extension to the Sieve mail
filtering language defined in RFC 3028. This extension allows 
relational operators "gt", "ge", "lt", "le", "eq" and "ne" on field 
values and on the number of entities in header fields and addresses.
   
Working Group Summary
   
This document was discussed on the [email-masked] mailling 
list.
   
Protocol Quality
   
Ned Freed reviewed the specification for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please change the abstract of the document to read:

  This document describes the RELATIONAL extension to the Sieve mail
  filtering language.  This extension extends existing
  conditional tests in Sieve to allow relational operators.
  It also allows testing of the number of entities in header
  and envelope fields in addition to testing their content.

Note that section 0, change history, is to be removed prior to
publication.

Add this paragraph at the beginning of the introduction to the document:

   Sieve [SIEVE] is a language for filtering e-mail messages at the
   time of final delivery.  It is designed to be implementable on either
   a mail client or mail server.  It is meant to be extensible, simple,
   and independent of access protocol, mail architecture, and operating
   system.  It is suitable for running on a mail server where users may
   not be allowed to execute arbitrary programs, such as on black box
   Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) servers, as it has no
   variables, loops, or the ability to shell out to external programs.

Please add the following IANA considerations section to the document:

  IANA Considerations

  The following template specifies the IANA registrion of the Sieve extension
  specified in this document:

     To: [email-masked]
     Subject: Registration of new Sieve extension

     Capability name: RELATIONAL
     Capability keyword: relational
     Capability arguments: N/A
     Standards Track/IESG-approved experimental RFC number: this RFC
     Person and email address to contact for further information:
       Wolfgang Segmuller
      IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
      30 Saw Mill River Rd
      Hawthorne, NY  10532

    Phone: 1-914-784-7408
    Email: [email-masked]

  This information should be added to the list of sieve extensions given
  on http://www.iana.org/assignments/sieve-extensions.

All of the references in this document except [ACAP] are normative and
should be marked as such in appendix A.