Subject: Protocol Action: Limiting the Scope of the KEY Resource Record to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:17:17 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Limiting the Scope of the 
KEY Resource Record' <draft-ietf-dnsext-restrict-key-for-dnssec-04.txt> 
as a Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the DNS 
Extensions Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark 
and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
  This document limits the Domain Name System KEY resource record to
  only keys used by the Domain Name System Security Extensions
  (DNSSEC). The original KEY resource record used sub-typing to 
  store both DNSSEC keys and arbitrary application keys. Storing both 
  DNSSEC and application keys in one record was a mistake. This 
  document removes application keys from the KEY record by redefining 
  the Protocol Octet field in the KEY Resource Record Data. As a 
  result of removing application keys, all but one of the flags in 
  the KEY record become unnecessary and are removed. Three existing 
  application key sub-types are changed to reserved, but the format 
  of the KEY record is not changed. This document updates RFC 2535.

Working Group Summary

  There was WG rough concensus to advance this document; people
  agree that restricting KEY RR to the DNS keys is the right thing 
  to do.

  However, some folks see a need to provide a replacement for the 
  application key use of the KEY RR (whether it be APPKEY or 
  something). Since there isn't agreement (see SIKED BoF) what 
  problem something like APPKEY would solve, there isn't a ready 
  replacement for this functionality at this point in time. Thus the 
  WG rough concensus is to restrict-key now and defer the 
  application key discussion.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  This specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Erik Nordmark.