Subject: WG ACTION: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:14:39 -0400

A new working group has been formed in the Operations and Management 
Area of the IETF.  For additional information, contact the Area 
Directors or the WG Chairs.

IPv6 Operations (v6ops)
------------------------

Current Status: Active Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Jun-Ichiro itojun Hagino <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Randy Bush <[email-masked]>

Mailing List:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked],
In Body: subscribe v6ops
Archive: http://ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/

Description of Working Group:

The global deployment of IPv6 is underway, creating an IPv4/IPv6
Internet consisting of IPv4-only, IPv6-only and IPv4/IPv6 networks and
nodes. This deployment must be properly handled to avoid the division
of the Internet into separate IPv4 and IPv6 networks while ensuring
global addressing and connectivity for all IPv4 and IPv6 nodes.

The IPv6 Operations Working Group (v6ops) develops guidelines for the
operation of a shared IPv4/IPv6 Internet and provides guidance for
network operators on how to deploy IPv6 into existing IPv4-only
networks, as well as into new network installations.

The v6ops working group will:

(1) Solicit input from network operators and users to identify operational
    or security issues with the IPv4/IPv6 Internet, and determine
    solutions or workarounds to those issues. This includes
    identifying standards work that is needed in other IETF WGs or
    areas and working with those groups/areas to begin appropriate
    work. These issues will be documented in Informational or BCP
    RFCs, or in Internet-Drafts.

    Critical pieces of the Internet infrastructures such as DNS, SMTP
    and SIP have specific operational issues when they operate in a
    shared IPv4/IPv6 network. The v6ops WG will cooperate with the
    relevant areas and WGs to document those issues, and find
    protocol or operational solutions to those problems.

(2) Provide feedback to the IPv6 WG regarding portions of the IPv6
    specifications that cause, or are likely to cause, operational
    or security concerns, and work with the IPv6 WG to resolve
    those concerns. This feedback will be published in
    Internet-Drafts or RFCs.

(3) Publish Informational RFCs that help application developers
    (within and outside the IETF) understand how to develop IP
    version-independent applications. Work with the Applications
    area, and other areas, to ensure that these documents answer
    the real-world concerns of application developers. This
    includes helping to identify IPv4 dependencies in existing
    IETF application protocols and working with other areas and/or
    groups within the IETF to resolve them.

(4) Publish Informational or BCP RFCs that identify potential security
    risks in the operation of shared IPv4/IPv6 networks, and document
    operational practices to eliminate or mitigate those risks. This
    work will be done in cooperation with the Security area and other
    relevant areas or working groups.

(5) Publish Informational or BCP RFCs that provide viable solutions for
    deploying IPv6 within common network environments, such as
    ISP Networks (including Core, HFC/Cable, DSL & Dial-up networks),
    Enterprise Networks, Unmanaged Networks (Home/Small Office), and
    Cellular Networks.

    These documents should serve as useful guides to network
    operators and users on how to deploy IPv6 within their existing
    IPv4 networks, as well as in new network installations.

(6) Assume responsibility for advancing the basic IPv6 transition
    mechanism RFCs along the standards track, if their applicability
    to common deployment solutions is demonstrated in (5) above:

     Transition Mechanisms (RFC 2893)
     SIIT (RFC 2765)
     NAT-PT (RFC 2766)
     6to4 (RFC 3056 & 3068)

    This includes updating these mechanisms, as needed, to resolve
    problems. In some cases, these mechanisms may be deprecated
    (i.e. moved to Historic), if they are not found to be applicable
    to the deployment solutions described in (5) or if serious flaws
    are encountered that lead us to recommend against their use.
                 
(7) Identify open operational or security issues with the deployment
    solutions documented in (5) and fully document those open
    issues in Internet-Drafts or Informational RFCs. Work to find
    workarounds or solutions to basic, IP-level deployment issues
    that can be solved using widely-applicable transition mechanisms,
    such as dual-stack, tunneling or translation.

    If the satisfactory resolution of a deployment issue requires
    the standardization of a new, widely-applicable transition
    mechanism that does not properly fit into any other IETF WG or
    area, the v6ops WG will standardize a transition mechanism
    to meet that need.

IPv6 operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or
technologies (such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing
Protocols, DNS or Sub-IP Protocols) are the primary responsibility of
the groups or areas responsible for those protocols or technologies.
However, the v6ops group will provide input to those areas/groups, as
needed, and cooperate with those areas/groups in developing and
reviewing solutions to IPv6 operational and deployment problems.

Goals and Milestones:

OCT 02 Publish Cellular Deployment Scenarios as a WG I-D
OCT 02 Publish Unmanaged Network Deployment Scenarios as a WG I-D
OCT 02 Publish ISP Deployment Scenarios as a WG I-D
OCT 02 Publish Cellular Deployment Solutions as a WG I-D
OCT 02 Publish Survey of IPv4 Addresses in IETF Standards as WG I-D
DEC 02 Submit Transition Mechanisms to IESG for DS
DEC 02 Publish Unmanaged Network Deployment Solutions as a WG I-D
DEC 02 Publish Enterprise Deployment Scenarios as a WG I-D
DEC 02 Publish ISP Deployment Solutions as a WG I-D
DEC 02 Submit Cellular Deployment Scenarios to IESG for Info
DEC 02 Submit Cellular Deployment Solutions to IESG for BCP
FEB 03 Submit Survey of IPv4 Addresses in IETF Standards to IESG for Info
APR 03 Publish Enterprise Deployment Solutions as a WG I-D
APR 03 Submit Unmanaged Network Deployment Scenarios to IESG for Info
APR 03 Submit Unmanaged Network Deployment Solutions to IESG for BCP
APR 03 Submit ISP Deployment Scenarios to IESG for Info
APR 03 Submit ISP Deployment Solutions to IESG for BCP
AUG 03 Submit Enterprise Deployment Scenarios to IESG for Info
AUG 03 Submit Enterprise Deployment Solutions to IESG for BCP