Subject: Last Call: The MPLS Working Group decision on MPLS signaling protocols to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:57:40 -0400

The IESG has received a request from the chairs of the Multiprotocol 
Label Switching (mpls) Working Group to consider publishing the internet 
draft draft-andersson-mpls-sig-decision-01.txt as an Informational RFC.

Starting with a discussion in the working group session in Yokohama, the 
mpls working group has been exploring options for ongoing IETF work on 
signaling protocols for traffic engineering with MPLS. The MPLS working 
group chairs believe they understand the consensus of the MPLS community 
and have documented that consensus in this Internet draft. 

Based on this consensus, they have asked for publication of the ID as an 
Informational RFC to document the decision to focus the efforts on a 
signaling protocol for traffic engineering applications on "RSVP-TE: 
Extensions to RSVP for LSP Tunnels" (RFC3209). A consequence of this 
decision is to discontinue new efforts on "Constraint-Based LSP Setup 
using LDP" (RFC3212). 

The IESG requested this Last Call to verify that the document does 
indeed represent the consensus of the IETF community. The IESG plans to 
make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits comments. Please send 
any comments to the [email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 
2002-10-21.

Files can be obtained via 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-andersson-mpls-sig-decision-01.txt