Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-feather-hashed-uri-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:56:09 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Hashed URI
	Author(s)	: C. Feather
	Filename	: draft-feather-hashed-uri-03.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2002-9-17
	
There are situations where it is desirable to determine whether two
URIs are identical without revealing the value of one or the other if
they are not. For example, the publisher of filtering software may want
to provide a set of URLs to be filtered without identifying the actual
resources in question.

This problem has traditionally been done using cryptographically
secure hashes. The two items are both hashed and the resulting values
then compared. If they are equal it can be assumed that the two original
items were equal as well; if not, the hash does not reveal anything
about the original item. This technique is eminently suitable for this
situation.

This document describes a 'hashed' URI naming scheme for representing
the hashed form of a URI [RFC2396] as another URI.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-feather-hashed-uri-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-feather-hashed-uri-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-feather-hashed-uri-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.