Subject: Protocol Action: Change Process for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:26:30 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Change Process for the
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' <draft-tsvarea-sipchange-03.txt> as
a BCP. This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.  The IESG contact person is Harald Alvestrand.

Technical Summary
 
      The IETF's Session Initiation Protocol (SIP, RFC 3261), is
      becoming popular for a growing number of applications. One result
      of this popularity is a continuous flood of suggestions for SIP
      modifications and extensions. This memo describes how the
      Transport Area directors along with the SIP and SIPPING working
      group chairs have decided to deal with such suggestions. The
      effects of adding new features, often in a case where a point
      solution is sought, can be to damage security or to greatly
      increase complexity. Therefore this memo documents a process
      intended to apply architectural discipline to the future
      development of SIP.

Working Group Summary

      This document is not the product of a working group, but has had
      extensive review within the IETF.  The Last Call comments
      received were positive.

Protocol Quality

      The protocol has been reviewed for the IESG by Harald
      Alvestrand.