Subject: RFC 3378 on EtherIP: Tunneling Ethernet Frames in IP Datagrams

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:30:30 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3378

        Title:	    EtherIP: Tunneling Ethernet Frames in IP Datagrams
        Author(s):  R. Housley, S. Hollenbeck
        Status:	    Informational
	Date:       September 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 18803
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-housley-etherip-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3378.txt

This document describes the EtherIP, an early tunneling protocol, to
provide informational and historical context for the assignment of IP
protocol 97.  EtherIP tunnels Ethernet and IEEE 802.3 media access
control frames in IP datagrams so that non-IP traffic can traverse an
IP internet.  The protocol is very lightweight, and it does not
provide protection against infinite loops.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.