Subject: RFC 3298 on SPIRITS Protocol Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:54:23 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3298

        Title:	    Service in the Public Switched Telephone
                    Network/Intelligent Network (PSTN/IN) Requesting
                    InTernet Service (SPIRITS) Protocol Requirements
        Author(s):  I. Faynberg, J. Gato, H. Lu, L. Slutsman
        Status:	    Informational
	Date:       August 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 36560
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-spirits-reqs-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3298.txt

This document describes the SPIRITS protocol requirements,
based on the architecture presented in RFC 3136.  (SPIRITS
stands for "Service in the PSTN/IN Requesting InTernet
Service".)  The purpose of the protocol is to support services
that originate in the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN)
and necessitate the interactions between the PSTN and the
Internet.  Similarly, such services are called SPIRITS services.
(Internet Call Waiting, Internet Caller-ID Delivery, and Internet
Call Forwarding are examples of SPIRIT services, but the protocol
is to define the building blocks from which many other services
can be built.)  On the PSTN side, the SPIRITS services are
initiated from the Intelligent Network (IN) entities; the earlier
IETF work on the PSTN/Internet Interworking (PINT) resulted in
the protocol (RFC 2848) in support of the services initiated
the other way around--from the Internet to PSTN.

To this end, this document lists general requirements for the
SPIRITS protocol as well as those pertinent to IN, Wireless
IN, and PINT building blocks.  The document also presents the
SPIRITS WG consensus on the choice of the SPIRITS signaling protocol.

This document is a product of the Service in the PSTN/IN Requesting
InTernet Service Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.