Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:36:58 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Graceful Restart Mechanism for BGP with MPLS
	Author(s)	: Y. Rekhter, R. Aggarwal
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-01.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2002-9-26
	
A mechanism for BGP that would help minimize the negative effects on
routing caused by BGP restart is described in 'Graceful Restart
Mechanism for BGP' (see [1]). This document extends this mechanism to
also minimize the negative effects on MPLS forwarding caused by the
Label Switching Router's (LSR's) control plane restart, and
specifically by the restart of its BGP component when BGP is used to
carry MPLS labels and the LSR is capable of preserving the MPLS
forwarding state across the restart.
The mechanism described in this document is agnostic with respect to
the types of the addresses carried in the BGP Network Layer
Reachability Information (NLRI) field. As such it works in
conjunction with any of the address famililies that could be carried
in BGP (e.g., IPv4, IPv6, etc...)
The mechanism described in this document is applicable to all LSRs,
both those with the ability to preserve their forwarding state during
BGP restart and those without (although the latter need to implement
only a subset of the mechanism described in this document).
Supporting (a subset of) the mechanism described here by the LSRs
that can not preserve their MPLS forwarding state across the restart
would not reduce the negative impact on MPLS traffic caused by their
control plane restart, but it would minimize the impact if their
neighbor(s) are capable of preserving the forwarding state across the
restart of their control plane and implement the mechanism described
here.
The mechanism makes minimalistic assumptions on what has to be
preserved across restart - the mechanism assumes that only the actual
MPLS forwarding state has to be preserved; the mechanism does not
require any of the BGP-related state to be preserved across the
restart.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.