Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:35:05 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Zero Configuration Networking Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for Automatic Configuration of IP Hosts
	Author(s)	: A. Williams
	Filename	: draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-12.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2002-9-25
	
Many common TCP/IP protocols such as DHCP [RFC2131], DNS
[RFC1034][RFC1035], MADCAP [RFC2730], and LDAP [RFC2251] must be
configured and maintained by an administrative staff.  This is
unacceptable for emerging networks such as home networks, automobile
networks, airplane networks, or ad hoc networks at conferences,
emergency relief stations, and many others.  Such networks may be
nothing more than two isolated laptop PCs connected via a wireless
LAN.  For all these networks, an administrative staff will not exist
and the users of these networks neither have the time nor inclination
to learn network administration skills.  Instead, these networks need
protocols that require zero user configuration and administration.
This document is part of an effort to define such zero configuration
(zeroconf) protocols.
Before embarking on defining zeroconf protocols, protocol
requirements are needed.  This document states the zeroconf protocol
requirements for four protocol areas; they are: IP interface
configuration, translation between host name and IP address, IP
multicast address allocation, and service discovery.  This document
does not define specific protocols, just requirements.   The
requirements for these four areas result from examining everyday use
or scenarios of these protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-12.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-12.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-12.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.