Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mealling-uuid-urn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:53:08 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A UUID URN Namespace
	Author(s)	: M. Mealling et al.
	Filename	: draft-mealling-uuid-urn-00.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 2002-9-23
	
This specification defines a Uniform Resource Name namespace for
UUIDs (     (Universally Unique IDentifier), also known as GUIDs
(Globally Unique IDentifier).  A UUID is 128 bits long, and if
generated according to the one of the mechanisms in this document, is
either guaranteed to be different from all other UUIDs/GUIDs
generated until 3400 A.D.  or extremely likely to be different
(depending on the mechanism chosen).  UUIDs were originally used in
the Network Computing System (NCS) [1] and later in the Open Software
Foundation's (OSF) Distributed Computing Environment [2].
This specification is derived from the latter specification with the
kind permission of the OSF.  The original version of this document
was written by Paul Leach and Rich Salz but was unpublished for
several years.  This is an updated version incorporated as part of
the URN registration document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mealling-uuid-urn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.