Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 07:17:34 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Per Hop Behaviors Based on Dynamic Packet State
	Author(s)	: I. Stoica, H. Zhang, F. Venkitaraman, N. Mysore
	Filename	: draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-02.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2002-10-9
	
This document proposes a family of Per-Hop Behaviors (PHBs) 
based on Dynamic Packet State (DPS) in the context of the 
differentiated service architecture. With these PHBs, distributed
algorithms can be devised to implement services with flexibility,
utilization, and assurance levels similar to those that can be 
provided with per-flow mechanisms.
With Dynamic Packet State, each packet carries in its header, in
addition to the PHB codepoint, some PHB-specific state. The state
is initialized by the ingress node. Interior nodes process each
incoming packet based on the state carried in the packet's 
header, updating both its internal state and the state in the 
packet's header before forwarding it to the next hop. By using 
DPS to coordinate actions of edge and interior nodes along the 
path traversed by a flow, distributed algorithms can be designed
to approximate the behavior of a broad class of 'stateful' 
networks using networks in which interior nodes do not maintain 
per-flow state. We give examples of services that can be implemented by
PHBs based on DPS. We also discuss several possible solutions for 
encoding Dynamic Packet State that have the minimum incompatibility with IPv4.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-stoica-diffserv-dps-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.