Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mahy-sipping-smime-vs-digest-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:12:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Discussion of suitability: S/MIME instead of Digest 
                          Authentication in the Session Initiation Protocol 
                         (SIP)
	Author(s)	: R. Mahy
	Filename	: draft-mahy-sipping-smime-vs-digest-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2002-10-30
	
Digest authentication (as defined in RFC2617) is used in SIP
(RFC3261) for user authentication, and less frequently for message
integrity of MIME bodies carried in SIP.  Various members of the IETF
security community have periodically suggested that Digest should be
deprecated in favor of the SIP use of S/MIME (RFC2633), support for
which was recently introduced in RFC3261.  The author seeks clarity
from the IETF security community on behalf of the SIP community about
the feasibility and possible benefits of using S/MIME instead of
Digest in one or both of these applications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mahy-sipping-smime-vs-digest-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mahy-sipping-smime-vs-digest-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mahy-sipping-smime-vs-digest-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.