Subject: 55th IETF Meeting - License to Enhance Messaging Oriented Network Access for Diverse Endpoints BOF (lemonade)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:19:19 -0400

License to Enhance Messaging Oriented Network Access for Diverse Endpoints BOF (lemonade)

Thursday, November 21 at 0900-1130
===================================

CHAIRS: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
        Glenn Parsons <[email-masked]>

AGENDA:

5 min   Agenda Bashing (Chairs)
5 min   Review of LEMONADE charter & WG status  (Chairs)
40 min  Requirements (Kue)
10 min  Media Size (Ari)
20 min  Status Counters (Ari)
20 min  SNAP (Ari/Noam?)
30 min  IMAP Extensions (John/Eric/Greg)
20 min  Discussion of relationships/liaisons

Proposed Charter
================

Internet Unified Messaging brings together the body of work currently
chartered in VPIM, IFAX, IMAPEXT, and other IETF working groups.  It
also relates with the work of other bodies dealing with messaging services,
such as wireless SMS, MMS, etc.

The goal is to provide, over the Internet, a single infrastructure, mailbox,
and set of interfaces for a user to get, respond to, and manipulate all of
his or her messages from a collection of clients with varying capabilities,
no matter what the media or source is.  Initial work, in the VPIM and FAX
WG for example, focused on the server and network interactions and has
resulted in a rich base of Internet Mail standards to support unified
messaging.  Now that this work is stable in the industry, and with the
proliferation of smaller and often mobile Internet devices, the issues of
client access to Internet Mail need to be addressed.

Given the potentially broad scope of "unified messaging", this BOF will
focus specifically on the following work items:

     1.  Enhance message retrieval protocols to satisfy the requirements
         for low-latency playback of multimedia content.

     2.  Extend and/or profile message submission and retrieval to
         satisfy the requirements for low-bit-rate or high-latency
         transports and limited-processing devices, such as mobile
         endpoints.

     3.  Create appropriate message notification protocols to satisfy
         the need for reporting the status of different message contexts.

     4.  Extend message retrieval protocols to efficiently support
         limited-capability devices by offering data transformation
         services and other appropriate server processing.

     5.  Extend and/or profile Internet mail services (such as SMTP)
         for use in "unified messaging" environments.  If it turns out
         that native Internet mail services can not be used in such
         environments, define, where appropriate, translation between
         Internet Mail and other messaging systems to share a common
         Internet mailbox service.

The BOF is aware of several related activities in other groups:

  - 3GPP TSG T WG2 SWG3 Messaging  <http://www.3gpp.org/TB/T/T2/T2.htm>
  - W3C Mulitmodal interaction Activity <http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/>
  - Open Mobile Alliance <http://www.openmobilealliance.org/>
  - 3GPP2 TSG-P <http://3gpp2.org/Public_html/P/index.cfm>
  - 3GPP2 TSG-N <http://3gpp2.org/Public_html/N/index.cfm>

The goal is to coordinate efforts with at least these groups as required.

While there is obvious synergy, given the end-of-life of the VPIM and
FAX work groups and the similar membership, the BOF does not expect to
coordinate with those groups.

Milestones  (document completion)
==========

Nov 2002 - LEMONADE Requirements

Dec 2002 - Notification protocol

Mar 2003 - IMAP extensions for VM playback

Apr 2003 - IMAP extensions for mobile devices

Jun 2003 - Translation to other messaging systems

Current drafts  (grouped per milestone)
==============

     - draft-vaudreuil-um-issues-00.txt
     - draft-burger-um-reqts-00.txt
     - draft-wong-umcli-00.txt

     - draft-shapira-snap-04.txt

     - draft-burger-imap-chanuse-00.txt
     - draft-nerenberg-imap-channel-01.txt
     - draft-nerenberg-imap-binary-02.txt

     - draft-neystadt-imap-status-counters-00.txt
     - draft-shveidel-mediasize-00.txt
     - draft-vaudreuil-futuredelivery-00.txt