Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:39:30 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Internationalized Domain Names Registration and 
                          Administration Guideline for Chinese, Japanese and 
                          Korean
	Author(s)	: J. Seng, J. Klensin et al.
	Filename	: draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2002-10-21
	
Achieving internationalized access to domain names raises many complex 
issues.  These include not only associated with basic protocol design 
(i.e., how the names are represented on the network, compared, and 
converted to appropriate forms) but also issues and options for 
deployment, transition, registration and administration.

The IETF IDN working group focused on the development of a standards 
track specification for access to domain names in a broader range of 
scripts than the original ASCII.  It became clear during its efforts 
that there was great potential for confusion, and difficulties in 
deployment and transition, due to characters with similar appearances 
or interpretations and that those issues could best be addressed 
administratively, rather than through restrictions embedded in the 
protocols. 

This document provides guidelines for zone administrators (including 
but not limited to registry operators and registrars), and information 
for all domain names holders, on the administration of those domain 
names which contain characters drawn from Chinese, Japanese and Korean 
scripts (CJK).  Other language groups are encouraged to develop their 
own guidelines as needed, based on these guideline if that is helpful.

Comments on this document can be sent to the authors at 
[email-masked].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jseng-idn-admin-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.