Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kasera-esvp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:12:21 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IP Encapsulating Security Variable Payload (ESVP)
	Author(s)	: S. Kasera
	Filename	: draft-kasera-esvp-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2002-10-30
	
This note describes a new IPsec option called Encapsulating
Security Variable Payload (ESVP) that allows a variable but
contiguous portion of the payload received from upper protocol
layers to be encrypted/authenticated between the two end-points of
a security association.  The remaining portion of the payload is
left in the clear.  The upper layer payload contains the upper
layer protocol headers and data.  The decision about which
portions of the payload should be available as cleartext is taken
only by the end-points of the security association.  By leaving a
certain portion of the payload as cleartext, ESVP provides the
option of encrypting and decrypting an IPsec ESVP datagram at
other protocol layers to allow limited and secure access to the
cleartext data at these protocol layers.  These layers could be
terminated inside the network for providing network-based value
added services and performance optimizations.  These network-based
value added services and performance optimizations include policy
implementation and QoS based on packet classification, TCP
performance enhancement in the case of wireless networks and
firewall services.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kasera-esvp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kasera-esvp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kasera-esvp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.