Subject: RFC 3387 on Considerations from the Service Management Research Group (SMRG) on Quality of Service (QoS) in the IP Network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 09:29:10 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3387
                                 
        Title:      Considerations from the Service Management
                    Research Group (SMRG) on Quality of Service (QoS)
                    in the IP Network
        Author(s):  M. Eder, H. Chaskar, S. Nag
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       September 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 52693
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None
                                 
        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-smrg-ipsmf-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3387.txt

The guiding principles in the design of IP network management were
simplicity and no centralized control.  The best effort service
paradigm was a result of the original management principles and the
other way around.  New methods to distinguish the service given to one
set of packets or flows relative to another are well underway.
However, as IP networks evolve the management approach of the past may
not apply to the Quality of Service (QoS)-capable network envisioned
by some for the future.  This document examines some of the areas of
impact that QoS is likely to have on management and look at some
questions that remain to be addressed.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.