Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-xhshi-dns-search-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:27:52 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Integrating layered DNS search services within user 
                          agents
	Author(s)	: X. Shi, K. LIU
	Filename	: draft-xhshi-dns-search-00.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2002-10-24
	
This document presents a user perspective to the notion of DNS search
layers as defined by John Klensin's DNS search model [DNS_SEARCH]. In
particular, the authors look at the integration of name lookup
results from layer 2, 3 and 4 services to discuss the presentation of
these results across popular desktop applications such as Web
browsing and email clients. The goal of this document is not to
propose a standard UI to the DNS search problem (clearly something
out of the scope of any IETF work). Instead, the document seeks to
demonstrate that layered search services can be easily integrated
within traditional desktop applications; hence that deployment of DNS
search services is realistic and could rapidly be achieved. It is
important to understand that the proposed form of integration and
choice of user interfaces are not fundamental. In fact, the authors
expect many competing systems to pursue different alternative
solutions. However, in order to achieve critical deployment mass, it
is crucial to demonstrate that the architectural model proposed by
DNS search lends itself to simple user interfaces where different and
possibly competing services can complete each other to provide a more
precise and complete navigation experience for the end-user. This
draft attempts to fulfill that goal by looking at possible solutions
for popular navigation use cases.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xhshi-dns-search-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-xhshi-dns-search-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-xhshi-dns-search-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.