Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:13:36 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: TESLA: Multicast Source Authentication Transform 
                          Introduction
	Author(s)	: A. Perrig et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2002-10-30
	
Data authentication is an important component for many applications,
for example audio and video Internet broadcasts, or data distribution
by satellite. This document introduces TESLA, a secure source authen¡
tication mechanism for multicast or broadcast data streams. This doc¡
ument provides an algorithmic description of the scheme for informa¡
tional purposes, and in particular, it is intended to assist in writ¡
ing standardizable and secure specifications for protocols based on
TESLA in different contexts.
The main deterrents so far for a data authentication mechanism for
multicast were the seemingly conflicting requirements: loss toler¡
ance, high efficiency, no per-receiver state at the sender. The prob¡
lem is particularly hard in settings with high packet loss rates and
where lost packets are not retransmitted, and where the receiver
wants to authenticate each packet it receives.
TESLA provides authentication of individual data packets, regardless
of the packet loss rate. In addition, TESLA features low overhead for

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.