Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-walker-megaco-mg-t38-transition-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:24:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: CALL ESTABLISHMENT PROCEDURES FOR T.38 H.248/MEGACO 
                          MEDIA GATEWAYS CAPABLE OF AUTONOMOUS TRANSITION
                          BETWEEN VoIP AND T.38 FoIP
	Author(s)	: D. Walker
	Filename	: draft-walker-megaco-mg-t38-transition-00.txt
	Pages		: 48
	Date		: 2002-10-15
	
This document describes MEGACO/H.248 [6,2] call-setup set up 
procedures that enable T.38 [4] capable media gateways to transition 
between a Voice over IP (VoIP) call and a Facsimile over IP (FoIP) 
(using ITU-T Rec. T.38) call either: 
a)   with the real-time intervention of a Media Gateway 
Controller (MGC) using one of the existing mechanisms in 
Rec. T.38 Annex B/H.323, Rec. T.38 Annex D/SIP-SDP and Rec. 
T.38 Annex E/H.248, and Rec. H.323 Annex D. 
b)   without the real-time intervention of a Media Gateway 
Controller (MGC). The only involvement of the MGC will be 
during initial connection capabilities negotiation between 
the media gateways.  At this stage, both the MGs and the 
MGCs are unaware of the type of connection, (i.e. Voice, 
Fax, Modem, etc.).   
This contribution also describes how these call set-up procedures can 
be used in conjunction with the existing procedures of ITU-T Rec. 
H.323 Annex D to set-up two parallel channels, one for voice and the 
other for T.38, without any modifications of the procedures.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-walker-megaco-mg-t38-transition-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-walker-megaco-mg-t38-transition-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-walker-megaco-mg-t38-transition-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.