Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:27:09 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Embedding the Address of RP in IPv6 Multicast Address
	Author(s)	: P. Savola, B. Haberman
	Filename	: draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2002-10-10
	
As has been noticed, there is exists a huge deployment problem with
global, interdomain IPv6 multicast: PIM RPs have no way of
communicating the information about multicast sources to other
multicast domains, as there is no MSDP, and the whole interdomain Any
Source Multicast model is rendered unusable; SSM avoids these
problems.  This memo outlines a way to embed the address of the RP in
the multicast address, solving the interdomain multicast problem. The
problem is three-fold: specify an address format, adjust the
operational procedures and configuration if necessary, and modify
receiver-side PIM implementations.  In consequence, there would be no
need for interdomain MSDP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.