Subject: BCP 66, RFC 3406 on Uniform Resource Names (URN) Namespace Definition Mechanisms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:07:51 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 66
        RFC 3406
                 
        Title:      Uniform Resource Names (URN) Namespace Definition
                    Mechanisms
        Author(s):  L. Daigle, D. van Gulik, R. Iannella, P. Faltstrom
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       October 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 43707
        Obsoletes:  2611
        SeeAlso:    BCP 66
                 
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-urn-rfc2611bis-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3406.txt

This document lays out general definitions of and mechanisms for
establishing Uniform Resource Names (URN) "namespaces".  The URN WG
has defined a syntax for URNs in RFC 2141, as well as some proposed
mechanisms for their resolution and use in Internet applications in
RFC 3401 and RFC 3405.  The whole rests on the concept of individual
"namespaces" within the URN structure.  Apart from proof-of-concept
namespaces, the use of existing identifiers in URNs has been discussed
in RFC 2288.

This document is a product of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group
of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.