Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ayesta-to-short-tcp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:39:50 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: On reducing the number of TimeOuts for short-lived TCP
                          connections
	Author(s)	: U. Ayesta, K. Avrachenkov
	Filename	: draft-ayesta-to-short-tcp-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 2002-10-21
	
This document shows that short TCP sessions are prone to timeout. In
particular, one single segment loss will provoke TCP to timeout if the
document size is below certain threshold. This document analyzes the
benefit of TCP modifications such as Limited Transmit Algorithm
[RFC3042] and Increasing Initial Window [RFC2414] in the context of
short-lived TCP transfers. However TCP remains vulnerable to the losses
at the very end of the transmission. Therefore we suggest complementary
modifications to Limited Transmit Algorithm to recover effectively from
losses at the end of the TCP transfer.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ayesta-to-short-tcp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ayesta-to-short-tcp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ayesta-to-short-tcp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.