Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-xhshi-dns-search-caching-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:27:31 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Caching Mechanisms in Layered DNS Search Services
	Author(s)	: X. Shi, K. LIU
	Filename	: draft-xhshi-dns-search-caching-00.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2002-10-24
	
John Klensin proposed a multi-layered search-based access model for the 
DNS to address more human-friendly naming and navigation need of the 
modern Internet [DNSSEARCH]. When deploying the DNS search system in the 
global Internet, stability and scalability are two most important 
factors no matter what protocol we finally use. This draft demonstrates 
that caching is a significant objective for a stable and scalable DNS 
search system. Particularly, this document analyzes statistical 
operational data collected from our Keyword service. The collected data 
clearly demonstrates the potential high impact of caching in the 
resolution process. Based on deployment experience, the document 
describes alternative caching methods. From there, basic caching 
requirements for DNS Search systems are discussed.

The goal of this document is not to propose some standard caching 
mechanisms or methods but to emphasize the necessity of caching for DNS 
Search systems. Furthermore, the authors believe that the proven high 
efficiency of caching should be an important consideration when 
designing the future lookup protocol for such systems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-xhshi-dns-search-caching-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-xhshi-dns-search-caching-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-xhshi-dns-search-caching-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.