Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lonvick-sobgp-radius-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:13:09 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: RADIUS Attributes for soBGP Support
	Author(s)	: C. Lonvick
	Filename	: draft-lonvick-sobgp-radius-00.txt
	Pages		: 3
	Date		: 2002-10-30
	
A router participating in soBGP will need to validate received ACs.
The best way to do this is by having their associated ECs contained
on the router and using the information stored in them to perform
the necessary validation steps.  Unfortunately, this would entail
the storage and consistent maitenence of ECs on all participating
routers in the AS.  One way to centralize this would be for a device
to store all of the ECs and then have each of the participating
routers submit the pertinent information from each received AC to it
for the computationally intensive validation steps.  This
centralized device could then transmit a pass/fail message back to
the router.  This would reduce the amount of administration of the
EC database to one device - with appropriate backup.  This document
defines a set of RADIUS attributes designed to support the provision
of the soBGP protocol.  The participating routers are expected to
form and transmit a RADIUS Access-Request message with the
appropriate pieces of information from a received AC.  This
Access-Request will go to the device that will store the ECs and
it will perform the steps necessary to validate the AC information.
It will then form and transmit an Access-Accept or Access-Reject
response to the router.
This draft goes along with other IDs submitted for Secure Origin
BGP (soBGP) both of which are edited by James Ng. [7, 8]  Mostly this 
work relates to 'Extensions to BGP to Support Secure Origin BGP 
(soBGP)' and is explained in additional detail in 'Deployment 
Considerations for Secure Origin BGP (soBGP)'.  The purpose of this 
draft is to explain the concept of offloading the AC validation steps, 
and the EC storage, from the router.  RADIUS may not be the best way 
to do this but it's the best that I know of at this moment.  Once the
concepts of soBGP are discussed, the transport to support offload
should be reviewed and a proper mechanism should be chosen.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lonvick-sobgp-radius-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lonvick-sobgp-radius-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lonvick-sobgp-radius-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.