Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-radoaca-ppvpn-gvpls-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:18:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: GVPLS/LPE - Generic VPLS Solution based on LPE 
                          Framework
	Author(s)	: V. Radoaca et al.
	Filename	: draft-radoaca-ppvpn-gvpls-00.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 2002-10-29
	
This document describes virtual private LAN service (VPLS) solution 
over MPLS, called Generic VPLS/LPE (GVPLS) that emulates a partial 
bridging functionality [802.1D] to connect customers LANs/VLANs 
across the Metro and WAN Service Provider networks. This 
functionality includes the MAC learning and forwarding to emulate 
connectivity between the customer LANs/VLANs. This is a partial 
bridging functionality since it is transparent to customer topology 
and STP protocol.  
For VPLS solutions, the VPLS Reference Model [VPLS-L2-FRW] 
introduces two types of models: distributed and non-distributed. 
While [LPE] framework, and [DTLS] solution present a distributed 
model and [HVPLS] solution presents a non-distributed model, it is 
recognized that both models may need to co-exist in the same in the 
same SP network. This implies a need of a unified provisioning model 
with signalling mechanisms to support these new classes of 
solutions. The MAC learning process and the scalability in terms of 
number of VPLSs and number of customer ports can be increased 
significantly if some optimisations are provided in the Control and 
Data plane. 
The current draft presents the GVPLS solution that addresses such 
issues. The term 'Generic' in this document is used to reflect the 
unified aspect of the two models.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-radoaca-ppvpn-gvpls-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-radoaca-ppvpn-gvpls-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-radoaca-ppvpn-gvpls-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.