Subject: Protocol Action: Use of Interior Gateway Protocol Metric as a second MPLS Traffic Engineering Metric to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:01:27 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Use of Interior Gateway
 Protocol Metric as a second MPLS Traffic Engineering Metric'
 <draft-ietf-tewg-te-metric-igp-02.txt> as a BCP. This document is the
 product of the Internet Traffic Engineering Working Group. The IESG
 contact persons are Scott Bradner and Bert Wijnen.

 Technical Summary
     
       This document describes a common practice on how the existing 
	 metric of Interior Gateway Protocols (IGP) can be used as an 
	 alternative metric to the Traffic Engineering (TE) metric for 
	 Constraint Based Routing of MultiProtocol Label Switching (MPLS) 
	 Traffic Engineering tunnels. This effectively results in the 
	 ability to perform Constraint Based Routing with optimization of 
       one metric (e.g. link bandwidth) for some Traffic Engineering 
	 tunnels (e.g. Data Trunks) while optimizing another metric (e.g. 
	 propagation delay) for some other tunnels with different 
	 requirements (e.g. Voice Trunks). No protocol extensions or 
	 modifications are required. This text documents current router 
	 implementations and deployment practices.
     
 Working Group Summary
     
       Working Group has consensus on this document to be published as 
	 BCP. IETF Last Call did not raise any comments.
     
 Protocol Quality
   
       This document was reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.