Subject: Protocol Action: L2TP Link Extensions to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:33:00 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'L2TP Link Extensions'
<draft-ietf-l2tpext-link-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   L2TP (RFC 2661) allows for the physical separation of the LAC and
   LNS functions of PPP. In some cases, however, the logical
   separation of the responsibilities of each with respect to
   negotiated link parameters introduces situations where the LAC and
   the LNS do not have fully consistent information about the actual
   (or desired) link properties of a particular PPP connection.

   Proxy LCP, as used by L2TP, provides an adequate manner in which to
   negotiate link parameters in most cases.  This document defines new
   AVPs to allow the LAC and the LNS to communicate complete LCP
   information to each other for those cases where proxy LCP is
   insufficient.

Working Group Summary

There was support in the WG for this document and no issues were
raised  during the Last Call.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.