Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-singh-l2trigger-api-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:27:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Fast Handoff L2 Trigger API
	Author(s)	: A. Singh et al.
	Filename	: draft-singh-l2trigger-api-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2002-10-10
	
To enable seamless L3 handover of a MN from one subnet to other, the 
MN or the AR is required to anticipate the identity of the target AR 
prior to initiation of the L3 handoff.  To anticipate the identity of 
target AR, the L3 is required to receive a notification from L2 about 
the appropriate identity of target AP as soon as the L2 handoff is 
detected.  To further optimize the L3 handoff, L3 is also required to 
receive indications about Link Up and Link Down events as soon as 
such events are detected by L2. The Link Down event is detected by L2 
as soon as the MN loses connection with current AP. Similarly, the 
Link Up event is detected as soon as the MN re-connects with new AP. 
Depending upon the nature of access technologies, some of the various 
triggers can be available at MN, AR or both.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-singh-l2trigger-api-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-singh-l2trigger-api-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-singh-l2trigger-api-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.