Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-huston-iana-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:36:13 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Defining the Role and Function of the IETF-IANA
	Author(s)	: G. Huston, S. Bradner
	Filename	: draft-huston-iana-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2002-10-22
	
This memo describes the role and function of the IETF-IANA.
Many IETF protocols make use of commonly defined values that are
passed within protocol objects. To ensure consistent interpretation
of these values between independent implementations, there is a need
to ensure that the values and associated semantic intent are
uniquely defined.
The IETF uses a single registry to register these protocol values
and their associated semantic intent. In this memo the registry
function is referred to as the IETF Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority (IETF-IANA).
This document provides a description of this function and proposes
that this description be adopted by the Internet Architecture Board
(IAB).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huston-iana-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-huston-iana-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-huston-iana-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.