Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-sdpng-trans-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 07:35:22 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SDPng Transition
	Author(s)	: J. Ott, C. Perkins
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mmusic-sdpng-trans-02.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2002-11-7
	
The Session Description Protocol (SDP) is today widely used in the
Internet to announce as well as negotiate multimedia sessions and
exchange capabilities.  Having originally been designed for session
announcements only, as opposed to announcements and capabilities
negotiation announcements, native SDP lacks numerous features to be
applicable in many session scenarios.  Numerous extensions have been
developed to circumvent SDP's shortcomings -- but they have also
repeatedly shown its inherent limitations.  A successor protocol --
termed 'SDPng' for the time being -- is developed to address the
aforementioned needs of Internet applications in a more structured
manner.  With the huge installed base of SDP-based applications, a
migration path needs to be developed to move from SDP to SDPng over
time.  This document outlines how this migration can be achieved: in
general as well as for the various IETF control protocols that
potentially make use of SDP and SDPng.
This document is a product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session
Control (MMUSIC) working group of the Internet Engineering Task
Force.  Comments are solicited and should be addressed to the working
group's mailing list at [email-masked] and/or the authors.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdpng-trans-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mmusic-sdpng-trans-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdpng-trans-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.