Subject: Copyright statement in MIB Modules

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 17:13:40 -0500

Copyright statement in MIB Modules
 
 Many people/tools extract the MIB modules out of our RFCs that 
 contain a MIB module. In most cases they remove the copyright 
 information that is part of the RFC. This is against the IETF
 copyright claim. 
 
 People/tools do this not with bad intentions. The reason they 
 do not extract the copyright info is because it is not in machine
 readable/parsable form, and they want the MIB modules to feed
 them into their agents, network management platforms, or other
 MIB tools.
 
 In order to ensure that the copyright statement is properly
 preserved and included in extracted MIB modules, and in order
 to make it easier for people/tools to keep the proper copyright
 when extracting MIB modules, the IESG has agreed with the
 the RFC-Editor that:
 
    The RFC-Editor, during the editing process of an RFC that
    contains a MIB Module, copies a short copyright statement
    into the DESCRIPTION clause of the MODULE-IDENTITY macro
    of each MIB Module in the RFC-to-be.
 
    The copyright statement to be added is as follows:
   
    "Copyright (C) The Internet Society (year). This version of 
     this MIB module is part of RFC xxxx, see the RFC itself for 
     full legal notices."