Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 06:31:52 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Public-Key Cryptography for the Network Time Protocol 
                          Version 2
	Author(s)	: D. Mills
	Filename	: draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-04.txt
	Pages		: 67
	Date		: 2002-11-5
	
This document describes the Autokey security model for authenticating 
servers to clients using the Network Time Protocol (NTP) and public 
key cryptography. its design is based on the premiss that IPSEC 
schemes cannot be adopted intact, since that would preclude stateless 
servers and severely compromise timekeeping accuracy. In addition, 
PKI schemes presume authenticated time values are always available to 
enforce certificate lifetimes; however, cryptographically verified 
timestamps require interaction between the timekeeping function and 
authentication function in ways not yet considered by the IETF. 
                                   
   This Document includes the Autokey requirements analysis, design 
   principles and protocol specification. A detailed description of the
 protocol states, events and transition functions is included. A 
   prototype of the Autokey design based on this document has been 
   implemented, tested and documented in the NTP Version 4 (NTPv4) 
   software distribution for Unix, Windows and VMS at 
   http://www.ntp.org.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.