Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-dns-search-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 06:21:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Search-based access model for the DNS
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-dns-search-05.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 2002-11-6
	
This memo discusses strategies for supporting 'DNS searching' --
finding of names in the DNS, or references that will ultimately point
to DNS names, by a mechanism layered above the DNS itself that
permits fuzzy matching, selection that uses attributes or facets, and
use of descriptive terms. Demand for these facilities appear to be
increasing with growth in the Internet (and especially the web) and
with requirements to move beyond the restricted subset of ASCII names
that have been the traditional contents of DNS 'Class=IN'.  This
document proposes a three-level system for access to DNS names in
which the upper two levels involve search, rather than lookup
(exactly known target), functions. It also discusses some of the
issues and challenges in completing the design of, and deploying,
such a system.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-dns-search-05.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-dns-search-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-dns-search-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.