Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-shaheen-shahrier-nsis-brsvp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:05:41 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Use of Bi-Directional RSVP in the Wireless 
                          Internet
	Author(s)	: K. Shaheen, S. Shahrier
	Filename	: draft-shaheen-shahrier-nsis-brsvp-00.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2002-11-1
	
With the current evolution toward wireless data, wireless internet, and 
wireless multimedia applications such as Voice over IP (VoIP), video 
conferencing, and Video telephony, similar performance requirements to 
those of existing circuit switched or voice based wireless systems are 
essential to the success of this evolution.  Among these performance 
requirements are the call setup time, delay, reliability, and Quality of 
Service (QoS).  To ensure QoS, provide faster call setup time, and 
reduce the number of RSVP messaging across the network; this note 
introduces the concept and describes the use of bi-directional RSVP (B-
RSVP)  resource  reservation  protocol  with  both  Controlled-Load  and 
Guaranteed QoS control services.  While RSVP allows for uni-directional 
resource reservations only in the 'send' direction, B-RSVP protocol 
generalizes the process by allowing simultaneous bi-directional (send 
and receive) resource reservations on each hop.  B-RSVP also allows for 
a reverse route (receive only) uni-directional resource reservation.  B-
RSVP is most suitable for applications in which the originator of a 
service is solely responsible for making the necessary reservations and 
their cost.  This note defines several data objects that carry resource 
reservation information required for both send and receive traffic.  The 
proposed message formats are extensions to existing RSVP messages and 
totally backward compatible.  The usage and data format of those objects 
are described herein.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shaheen-shahrier-nsis-brsvp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-shaheen-shahrier-nsis-brsvp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-shaheen-shahrier-nsis-brsvp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.