Subject: Protocol Action: Message Context for Internet Mail to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 11:06:08 -0500

The IESG has approved Critical Content of Internet Mail
<draft-ietf-vpim-cc-08.txt> for publication as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Voice Profile for Internet Mail
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary

      This document describes a mechanism for identifying body parts
      that a sender deems critical in a multi-part Internet mail message.
      The mechanism described is a parameter to Content-Disposition.
       
      By knowing what parts of a message the sender deems critical, a
      content gateway can intelligently handle multi-part messages when
      gatewaying to systems of lesser capability. Critical content can
      help a content gateway to decide what parts to forward. It can
      indicate how hard a gateway should try to deliver a body part. It
      can help the gateway to pick body parts that are safe to silently
      delete when a system of lesser capability receives a message. In
      addition, critical content can help the gateway chose the
      notification strategy for the receiving system.
 
  Working Group Summary
 
      This document has been revised after an initial last call to align
      it with the handling content-type parameter defined in RFC 3204.

      This mechanism can be used in conjunction with both VPIM and non-VPIM
      messages.
 
  Protocol Quality
 
      Ned Freed reviewed these documents for the IESG.