Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-choudhury-manral-flooding-simulation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 06:28:57 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: LSA Flooding Optimization Algorithms and Their 
                          Simulation Study
	Author(s)	: G. Choudhury, V. Manral
	Filename	: draft-choudhury-manral-flooding-simulation-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2002-11-5
	
The full flooding of LSAs in OSPF may cause large CPU and memory
consumption at node processors of a network with large number of nodes,
links, adjacencies per node and LSDB size.  An LSA storm, defined as  
the near-simultaneous update of a large number of LSAs, in such  
networks may cause network instability and outage.

We do a simulation study of four alternative algorithms to full 
flooding to determine their ability to handle large LSA storms.
Algorithm 2 does full flooding but in case two neighbors are connected
by multiple interfaces, flooding is done over only one such interface.
The other algorithms are based on Algorithm 2 and employ
further flooding restrictions. In Algorithm 3 each node asks only
a subset of its one-hop neighbors, known as multipoint relays, to
flood further. In Algorithm 4 flooding is done only over a
minimum spanning tree. Algorithm 5 uses full flooding (as in Algorithm
2) for LSAs carrying intra-area topology information and restricted
flooding over a minimum spanning tree (as in Algorithm 4) for other
LSAs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-choudhury-manral-flooding-simulation-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-choudhury-manral-flooding-simulation-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-choudhury-manral-flooding-simulation-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.