Subject: Protocol Action: Guidelines for The Use of XML within IETF Protocols to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:37:32 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Guidelines for The Use of XML
within IETF Protocols' <draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guidelines-07.txt> as
a BCP.  This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom. 

Technical Summary
 
      There are a wide variety of Internet protocols being developed; many
      have need for a representation for structured data relevant to their
      application. There has been much interest in the use of XML as a
      representation method. This document describes basic XML concepts,
      analyzes various alternatives in the use of XML, and provides
      guidelines for the use of XML within IETF standards-track protocols.

Working Group Summary

      The authors welcome discussion and comments relating to the topics
      presented in this document. Though direct comments to the authors
      are welcome, public discussion is taking place on the "ietf-xml-
      [email-masked]" mailing list. To join the list, send a message to
      "[email-masked]" with the word "subscribe" in the body
      of the message. List archives are available at:

          http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-use/
 
Protocol Quality
 
      Ned Freed reviewed the document for the IESG.