Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-libin-hierarchy-pe-bgp-mpls-vpn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:17:43 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Hierarchy of Provider Edge Device in  BGP/MPLS VPN
	Author(s)	: L. Bin, D. Weisi, L. Defeng
	Filename	: draft-libin-hierarchy-pe-bgp-mpls-vpn-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2002-11-21
	
In the deployment of BGP/MPLS VPN,the PE(Provider Edge)Device should
maintain all the VPN routes of the VPNs which it belong to.When there 
are many VPNs converged by a PE,and the capacity of PE is relevant
limited,then the bottleneck will be encountered.Another problem is 
that the current BGP/MPLS VPN model is something of a 'Plane Modle'
where the demand of the performance of the PE device are all the 
same no matter which layer the PE device is belongs to.However,the 
typical network is 'Core-Convergence-Access(Edge)' model,and the 
performance of the device is superior in Core Layer and inferior in 
Access Layer,and the scale of network is large in Access Layer and 
small in Core Layer,the routes are converged in every layer,so in 
current 'Plane Modle',when PE device push to the edge layer,it has 
to maintain more VPN routes,this makes it difficult to extend the PE
device to edge layer.This document defines an model of Hierarchy of 
Provider Edge Device in BGP/MPLS VPN,where Hierarchy of Provider 
Edge Device can be composed of several device and every device take 
on the different part,partake the function of the former 
concentrative PE,we call this model 'Hierarchy Model',In this model
the demand of performance in Routing and Switching is strict to the 
PE device in High layer,loose to the PE device in edge layer.
 
   One HoPE can be composed of a SPE and UPES connected to the SPE, 
   or be composed of a high-level SPE and HoPEs connected the high 
   level SPE and and build up a new HoPE.This build is called nesting 
   of HoPE,and this kind of nesting can be done for many times.Thus the 
   former HoPE connect to the high-level SPE as a role of UPE,and the 
   new HoPE can connect a single UPE too.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-libin-hierarchy-pe-bgp-mpls-vpn-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-libin-hierarchy-pe-bgp-mpls-vpn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-libin-hierarchy-pe-bgp-mpls-vpn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.