Subject: RFC 3308 on Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) Differentiated Services Extension

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:42:18 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3308
                         
        Title:      Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) Differentiated
                    Services Extension
        Author(s):  P. Calhoun, W. Luo, D. McPherson, K. Peirce
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 21536
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l2tpext-ds-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3308.txt

This document describes mechanisms which enable the Layer Two
Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) to negotiate desired Per Hop Behavior (PHB)
code for the L2TP control connection, as well as individual sessions
within an L2TP tunnel.

L2TP provides a standard method for tunneling PPP packets.  The
current specification provides no provisions for supporting
Differentiated Services (diffserv) over the L2TP control connection or
subsequent data sessions.  As a result, no standard mechanism
currently exists within L2TP to provide L2TP protocol negotiations for
service discrimination.

This document is a product of the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol
Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.