Subject: Protocol Action: Security Mechanism Agreement for SIP Sessions to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:54:17 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Security Mechanism Agreement
for SIP Sessions' <draft-ietf-sip-sec-agree-05.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the Session Initiation
Protocol Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin
and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
  The SIP protocol does not currently provide any good mechanism for
  negotiating which security mechanism to use between two SIP entities. This
  document fills that hole by defining three header fields for negotiating
  the SIP security mechanism to be used between a SIP entity and its next SIP
  hop. A SIP entity applying this mechanism must always require some minimum
  security (i.e. integrity protection) from all communicating parties in
  order to secure the negotiation, but the negotiation can agree on which
  specific minimum security is used.

Working Group Summary
 
  The SIP working group supported publication of this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin