Subject: Protocol Action: The Refer Method to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:58:36 -0500

The IESG has approved publication of The Refer Method 
<draft-ietf-sip-refer-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working
Group. The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
      This document defines the REFER method. This SIP extension requests
      that the recipient REFER to a resource provided in the request. 
	It provides a mechanism allowing the party sending the REFER to be
      notified of the outcome of the referenced request. This can be used
      to enable many applications, including call transfer.

      In addition to the REFER method, this document defines the refer
      event package and the Refer-To request header.

Working Group Summary
 
    The working group reached good consensus on this document.
    A header for Referred-by was split out so that it could await
    authenticated identity.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    The document was reviewed for the IESG by Eric Rescorla, Steve
    Bellovin, and Allison Mankin. Implementations of this method
    have been tested in interoperability events by a number of vendors.

RFC Editor

         Please replace each instance of:

                 "atlanta.com" with "atlanta.example.com"
                 "biloxi.com" with "biloxi.example.net"
                 "cleveland.com" with "cleveland.example.org"
                 "denver.com" with "denver.example.org"

         Please add to the end of the document before the Copyright 
	   Statement a copy of the RFC 2026 10.4(A) and 10.4(B) notices 
	   under the heading Intellectual Property Statement.