Subject: WG Action: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:46:28 -0500

A new working group has been formed in the Security Area of the IETF. 
For additional information, contact the Area Directors 
or the WG Chair.

Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)
 -----------------------------------------------

   Current Status: Active Working Group

   Chair(s):
           Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
           K. Zeilenga <[email-masked]>

   Security Area Director(s):
           J. Schiller <[email-masked]>
           Steve Bellovin <[email-masked]>

   Security Area Advisor:
           J. Schiller <[email-masked]>

   Mailing Lists: 
           General Discussion:[email-masked]
           To Subscribe: [email-masked]
                   In Body: subscribe
           Archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-sasl/mail-archive/

 Description of Working Group:

The Simple Authentication and Security Layer [RFC2222] provides key 
security services to a number of application protocols including BEEP, 
IMAP, LDAP, POP, and SMTP. The purpose of this working group is to 
shepherd SASL, including select SASL mechanisms, through the Internet 
Standards process.

This group will deliver a revised SASL Technical Specification 
suitable for consideration as a Draft Standard. This work will be 
based upon RFC 2222 and draft-myers-saslrev.

This group will deliver revised Technical Specifications suitable for 
consideration as Draft Standards for the following SASL mechanisms: 
ANONYMOUS, PLAIN, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, and EXTERNAL. This work will 
be based upon RFC 2195, RFC 2222, RFC 2831, draft-zeilenga-sasl-anon, 
draft-zeilenga-sasl-plain, draft-nerenberg-sasl-crammd5 and 
draft-melnikov-rfc2831bis, and draft-myers-saslrev-xx.txt.

This group will deliver a revised Technical Specification suitable for 
publication as Proposed Standard for the GSSAPI family of SASL 
mechanisms. This work will be based upon RFC 2222 and 
draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi.

The following areas are not within the scope of work of this WG:

- new features,
- SASL Mechanisms not specifically mentioned above, and
- SASL "profiles".

However, the SASL WG is an acceptable forum for review of SASL-related 
submissions produced by others as long as such review does not impede 
progress on the WG objectives listed above.

Goals and Milestones:

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL (+ EXTERNAL) I-D 

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL ANONYMOUS I-D 

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL PLAIN I-D 

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL CRAM-MD5 I-D 

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL DIGEST-MD5 I-D 

JAN 03 Submit revised SASL GSSAPI I-D 

JUN 03 Submit Implementation Report 

JUL 03 Submit revised SASL, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5 I-Ds with 
	 Implementation Report to IESG for consideration as a Draft 
	 Standard 

JUL 03 Submit revised SASL GSSAPI I-D to IESG for consideration as 
	 a Proposed Standard 

AUG 03 Revise charter or conclude