Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 08:03:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Eifel Detection Algorithm for TCP
	Author(s)	: L. Reiner, M. Meyer
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-07.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2002-12-6
	
The Eifel detection algorithm allows a TCP sender to detect a
posteriori whether it has entered loss recovery unnecessarily. It
requires that the TCP Timestamps option defined in RFC1323 is enabled
for a connection. The Eifel detection algorithm makes use of the fact
that the TCP Timestamps option eliminates the retransmission
ambiguity in TCP. Based on the timestamp of the first acceptable ACK
that arrives during loss recovery, it decides whether loss recovery
was entered unnecessarily. The Eifel detection algorithm provides a
basis for future TCP enhancements. This includes response algorithms
to back out of loss recovery by restoring a TCP sender's congestion
control state.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-07.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.