Subject: Protocol Action: PPP Bridging Control Protocol (BCP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:23:39 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'PPP Bridging Control Protocol
(BCP)' <draft-ietf-pppext-rfc2878bis-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Erik
Nordmark.

Technical Summary
 
      The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) [RFC 1661] provides a standard 
	method for transporting multi-protocol datagrams over 
	point-to-point links. PPP defines an extensible Link Control 
	Protocol, and proposes a family of Network Control Protocols for 
	establishing and configuring different network-layer protocols.

      This document defines the Network Control Protocol for 
	establishing and configuring Remote Bridging for PPP links.

      This document obsoletes RFC 2878, which was based on the IEEE
      802.1D-1993 MAC Bridge[3]. This document extends that specification
      by improving support for bridge control packets. Specifically, 
	this document updates RFC 2878 in the following ways:

      (1) Adds a Bridge Control Packet Indicator to configuration option.

      (2) Modifies the meaning of one of the reserved bits in the flags 
	    field.

Working Group Summary
 
      There was support for this document inthe WG and no comments were
      received during the IETF Last Call.
 
Protocol Quality

      This document has been reviewd for the IESG by Thomas Narten.