Subject: RFC 3391 on The MIME Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed Content-Type

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:35:02 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3391
                                      
        Title:      The MIME Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed
                    Content-Type
        Author(s):  R. Herriot
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       December 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      25
        Characters: 54739
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-herriot-application-multiplexed-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3391.txt

The Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed content-type, like the
Multipart/Related content-type, provides a mechanism for representing
objects that consist of multiple components.  An
Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed entity contains a sequence of chunks.
Each chunk contains a MIME message or a part of a MIME message.  Each
MIME message represents a component of the compound object, just as a
body part of a Multipart/Related entity represents a component.  With
a Multipart/Related entity, a body part and its reference in some
other body part may be separated by many octets.  With an
Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed entity, a message and its reference in
some other message can be made quite close by chunking the message
containing the reference.  For example, if a long message contains
references to images and the producer does not know of the need for
each image until it generates the reference, then
Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed allows the consumer to process the
reference to the image and the image before it consumes the entire
long message.  This ability is important in printing and scanning
applications.  This document defines the
Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed content-type. It also provides
examples of its use.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.