Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bianchi-qos-multicast-over-diffserv-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 07:59:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: MultiGRIP: Quality of Service Aware Multicasting over 
                          DiffServ
	Author(s)	: G. Bianchi et al.
	Filename	: draft-bianchi-qos-multicast-over-diffserv-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2002-12-2
	
Efficient delivery of real-time multicast traffic imposes on the 
underlying network infrastructure the burden of supporting Quality of 
Service (QoS). This can be quite a complex issue in a Differentiated 
Services (DiffServ) IP network, especially if multicast users are 
allowed to dynamically join and leave the multicast tree. In fact, since 
DiffServ lacks of explicit reservation states, i) a replicating node 
cannot test whether a corresponding reservation exists on an output 
link, and ii) upon a dynamic join of a QoS multicast user, the DiffServ 
network lacks of control functions to verify whether resources are 
available along the new path. In this document, we present a solution to 
support dynamic multicast with QoS over a DiffServ network. Our solution 
combines two ideas. First, resource availability along a new QoS path is 
verified via a probe-based approach. Second, QoS is maintained by 
marking replicated packets with a special DSCP value, before forwarding 
them on the QoS path. We are fully aware that the possible application 
of the principles described in this draft in the Internet raises many 
issues, which we do not address. Our aim, then, is not proposing a 
fully-fledged solution, but contributing to the on-going discussions in 
the international arena on these matters, by means of what we may see 
also as a problem statement document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bianchi-qos-multicast-over-diffserv-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bianchi-qos-multicast-over-diffserv-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bianchi-qos-multicast-over-diffserv-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.