Subject: Protocol Action: Mobile IP NAT/NAPT Traversal using UDP Tunnelling to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:18:24 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Mobile IP NAT/NAPT Traversal 
using UDP Tunnelling' <draft-ietf-mobileip-nat-traversal-07.txt> as a 
Proposed Standard. This document is the product of the IP Routing for 
Wireless/Mobile Hosts Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Erik 
Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

       Mobile IP uses IP-in-IP tunneling is incompatible with Network
       Address Translation (NAT) because there are no port numbers to
       translate in the outer header. This document defines extensions to
       the Mobile IP protocol that allow Mobile IP to work when a NAT
       device separates the mobile node from its Home Agent. The 
	 solution uses UDP tunneling between the mobile node and Home 
	 Agent.

 Working Group Summary
   
   There is strong support for this extension in the WG and it has been
   deployed and tested.
   
 Protocol Quality
   
   This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten