Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-mpls-ip-gre-sig-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 07:59:56 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Signaling MPLS in IP or MPLS in GRE Encapsulation 
                          Capability
	Author(s)	: R. Aggarwal, R. Raszuk
	Filename	: draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-mpls-ip-gre-sig-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2002-12-2
	
This document proposes a lightweight mechanism for signaling a PE 
router's capability to encapsulate MPLS using dynamic GRE and/or IP.
This is applicable when a MPLS packet is tunnelled using a dynamic 
GRE and/or IP encapsulation [MPLS-IP-GRE] between PE routers. For 
instance the MPLS packet may be a 2547 based MPLS VPN packet 
[2547bis] or a layer 2 packet transported using MPLS [MARTINI]. 
Adding such a mechanism has several benefits. It helps in blackhole 
avoidance and eases transitioning from MPLS tunneling based 
Layer 3/Layer 2 VPNs to GRE/IP tunneling based Layer 3/Layer 2 VPNs 
(and vice versa). Such a mechanism is needed where a network may be 
using MPLS and GRE (or IP) for tunneling, at the same time, in 2547 
based or Layer 2 VPNs. It can help in encapsulation selection when 
multiple tunneling technologies are supported. It can also be used to
enhance the security of the network backbone.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-mpls-ip-gre-sig-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-mpls-ip-gre-sig-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-mpls-ip-gre-sig-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.