Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-nakhjiri-seamoby-ppp-ct-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 08:00:55 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Enhanced PPP link re-establishment using context 
                          transfer
	Author(s)	: M. Nakhjiri, S. Ramanna
	Filename	: draft-nakhjiri-seamoby-ppp-ct-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2002-12-2
	
Many of todayÆs networks use PPP as a means of providing access 
links to remote users. In case a PPP user is mobile and performs a 
subnet handover, it needs to tear down and re-establish of its PPP 
link with the network. PPP link re-establishment is an elaborate 
procedure (as explained in a later section of this document) 
involving multiple messages. This will lead in an extended service 
disruption as due to the round trip time involved in the messaging 
as well extensive radio bandwidth usage. Of this reason, we 
consider PPP to be a prime candidate for context transfer [1-3]. 
The proposal in this document can reduce the number of PPP 
establishment messages by 50%-100. Furthermore, it will save 
significant amount of time in PPP state machine transitions, due 
to the multiphase nature of PPP. Reliability and timing issues of 
PPP context transfer are also discussed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nakhjiri-seamoby-ppp-ct-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-nakhjiri-seamoby-ppp-ct-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nakhjiri-seamoby-ppp-ct-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.