Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-prasanna-bip-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:04:48 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: BIP: Billing Information Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Prasanna
	Filename	: draft-prasanna-bip-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2002-12-16
	
Billing information protocol is a simple protocol that can be used 
by servers to indicate the charging information incurred due to a 
specific operation with a client. In many situations a client, like 
a SIP user agent may need to know the charging information about a 
specific interaction with the server.  This document defines the 
BIP (Billing Information Protocol) that can be used as a standard 
way to share this charging information.  BIP supports simple 
indication of charging information.  The protocol defines a generic 
representation on the number of units charged, the charge incurred 
per unit etc.  This will be useful for implementing services like 
advice of charge.  The protocol is targeted for VoIP usages, 
however any generic client-server interaction can use this 
protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-prasanna-bip-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-prasanna-bip-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-prasanna-bip-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.