Subject: Document Action: Number Portability in the GSTN: An Overview to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:33:28 -0500

The IESG has approved 'Number Portability in the GSTN: An Overview'
<draft-ietf-enum-e164-gstn-np-05.txt> as an Informational RFC.  This
document is the product of the Telephone Number Mapping Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Allison Mankin.

Note to RFC Editor:

Please replace the current text in the Security Conserations section
with the following:

"In the PSTN, the NPDB queries are generated by the PSTN switches and
carried over the SS7 networks to reach the NPDBs and back to the
switches.  The SS7 networks are operated by telecommunications
operators and signaling transport service providers in such a closed
environment that make them difficult for the hackers to penetrate.
However, when VoIP operators need the NP information and have to launch
the NP queries from their softswitches, media gateway controllers or
call managers, there would be security concerns if the NP queries and
responses are transported over Internet.  If the routing number or
routing prefix in the response is altered during the message transport,
the call will be routed to the wrong place.  It is recommended that the
NPDB queries be transported via a secure transport layer or with added
security mechanisms to ensure the data integrity."