Subject: RFC 3445 on Limiting the Scope of the KEY Resource Record (RR)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:10:04 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3445
                                        
        Title:      Limiting the Scope of the KEY Resource Record (RR)
        Author(s):  D. Massey, S. Rose
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       December 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 20947
        Updates:    2535
                                        
        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-restrict-key-for-dnssec-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3445.txt

This document limits the Domain Name System (DNS) KEY Resource Record
(RR) to only keys used by the Domain Name System Security Extensions
(DNSSEC).  The original KEY RR used sub-typing to store both DNSSEC
keys and arbitrary application keys.  Storing both DNSSEC and
application keys with the same record type is a mistake.  This
document removes application keys from the KEY record by redefining
the Protocol Octet field in the KEY RR Data.  As a result of removing
application keys, all but one of the flags in the KEY record become
unnecessary and are redefined.  Three existing application key
sub-types are changed to reserved, but the format of the KEY record is
not changed.  This document updates RFC 2535.

This document is a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the
IETF. 

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.