Subject: Job Posting - Chair of problem statement working group

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 13:57:36 -0500

The IESG is searching for a chair for the proposed problem statement 
 working group.
 The IESG has decided to ask for community input when deciding on a chair 
 for this working group.

 Among the criteria that we think are important for the person we need for 
 this task are:

 - Knowledge of the IETF community
 - Ability to listen to input from the community
 - Capable of clear statement of thinking
 - Capable of guiding a group towards consensus
 - Understanding organization management principles
 - Understanding organizational dynamics and organizational growth
 - Not a present member of IESG or IAB
 - Willing to not be a candidate for IESG or IAB on this nomcom cycle 
 (2002-2003)
 - Willing to commit significant time to this effort in the coming 3-4 months

 Knowledge of how other standards development organizations work is not a 
 disadvantage.

 If you want to suggest a candidate, or want to volunteer to be a candidate, 
 please send email to [email-masked], stating the name, email and important 
 qualifications of the persons you want to suggest, on or before December 
 13, 2002.
 Late suggestions will be considered when possible.

 The General AD will attempt to verify with the suggested persons that they 
 are willing to do the task, and will discuss the list of candidates with 
 the IESG and the nomcom.
 The list of willing candidates may also be made public.
 If a candidate wishes to not have his or her name made public, please note 
 so when accepting the request to be considered.

 The proposed charter for the WG is attached.
 ---------------------------------------------------------
 Problem Statement (problem)

 Chair(s):
 TBD

 General Area Director(s):
 Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>

 General Area Advisor:
 Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>

 Mailing List:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: mail to [email-masked]
 Archive: http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/problem-statement/

 Description of Working Group:

 Discussions over the last couple of months have revealed a significant 
 number of thoughts about problems that exist with the way the IETF operates.
 In advance of trying to change the IETF procedure rules to deal with these 
 problems, it would be a Good Thing to have a clear, agreed-upon description 
 of what problems we are trying to solve.

 This group is charged with bringing forth the document describing those 
 problems.

 The intent is that the group will discuss issues on its mailing list, and 
 that there will be an editing team to produce a clear, concise problem 
 statement that the group can have consensus on, and present to the IETF as 
 a basis for an IETF consensus.

 As a second work item, the group will also produce a proposal for a process 
 to find solutions to the problems identified.

 It is not a part of this group's charter to propose solutions to the 
 problems.

 The work will be reviewed in plenary at the IETF.

 Goals and Milestones:

 Dec 02 Group formed
 Jan 03 First I-D of problem statement issued
 Mar 03 Problem statement reviewed at the IETF Plenary
 Mar 03 Proposal for further work reviewed at the IETF Plenary
 May 03 Problem statement submitted for RFC publication