Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bhatla-dnsext-murr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:02:33 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DNS RR type for Multiple Unicast
	Author(s)	: M. Bhatla
	Filename	: draft-bhatla-dnsext-murr-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2002-12-16
	
To date, the scenario of multiple IP addresses for same domain name 
arises for the case where either we have multihomed IP hosts or we 
have multiple servers having the same domain name and application 
on the client needs to approach only one of those IP hosts. However, 
the penetration of mobile hosts and personal devices identified, on 
the internet, by the user's Network Access Identifier (NAI) may 
create a scenario where multiple devices may have same domain name 
but different IP addresses and all of those devices may need to get 
the service or data from the application which only identifies them 
by their host name.
  
This document proposes to add a new Resource Record called the 
Multiple Unicast Resource Record (MURR) to the DNS system. This 
resource record is added for a domain name where the applications 
retrieving the IP address for the domain name have to provide the 
service  (like PUSH data) to all the IP addresses retrieved in the 
multiple MURRs for the domain name.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bhatla-dnsext-murr-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-bhatla-dnsext-murr-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bhatla-dnsext-murr-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.