Subject: WG Review: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:11:53 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Security Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)
-----------------------------------------------

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Description of Working Group:

The Simple Authentication and Security Layer [RFC2222] provides key
security services to a number of application protocols including BEEP,
IMAP, LDAP, POP, and SMTP.  The purpose of this working group is to
shepherd SASL, including select SASL mechanisms, through the Internet
Standards process.

This group will deliver a revised SASL Technical Specification
suitable for consideration as a Draft Standard.  This work will be
based upon RFC 2222 and draft-myers-saslrev.

This group will deliver revised Technical Specifications suitable for
consideration as Draft Standards for the following SASL mechanisms:
ANONYMOUS, PLAIN, CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, and EXTERNAL.  This work will
be based upon RFC 2195, RFC 2222, RFC 2831, draft-zeilenga-sasl-anon,
draft-zeilenga-sasl-plain, draft-nerenberg-sasl-crammd5 and
draft-melnikov-rfc2831bis, and draft-myers-saslrev-xx.txt.

This group will deliver a revised Technical Specification suitable for
publication as Proposed Standard for the GSSAPI family of SASL
mechanisms.  This work will be based upon RFC 2222 and
draft-ietf-cat-sasl-gssapi.

This group will deliver a Technical Specification suitable for
publication as Proposed Standard describing a family of SASL
mechanisms using the Secure Remote Password [RFC2945] protocol.  This
work will be based upon draft-burdis-cat-srp-sasl.

The following areas are not within the scope of work of this WG:

- new features,

- SASL Mechanisms not specifically mentioned above, and

- SASL "profiles".

However, the SASL WG is an acceptable forum for review of SASL-related
submissions produced by others as long as such review does not impede
progress on the WG objectives listed above.