Subject: RFC 3453 on The Use of Forward Error Correction (FEC) in Reliable Multicast

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:06:30 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3453

        Title:      The Use of Forward Error Correction in Reliable
                    Multicast
        Author(s):  M. Luby, L. Vicisano, J. Gemmell, L. Rizzo,
                    M. Handley, J. Crowcroft
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       December 2002
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 46853
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmt-info-fec-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3453.txt

This memo describes the use of Forward Error Correction (FEC) codes to
efficiently provide and/or augment reliability for one-to-many
reliable data transport using IP multicast.  One of the key properties
of FEC codes in this context is the ability to use the same packets
containing FEC data to simultaneously repair different packet loss
patterns at multiple receivers.  Different classes of FEC codes and
some of their basic properties are described and terminology relevant
to implementing FEC in a reliable multicast protocol is introduced.
Examples are provided of possible abstract formats for packets
carrying FEC.

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.