Subject: Protocol Action: TCP over Second (2.5G) and Third (3G) Generation Wireless Networks to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:04:27 -0500

The IESG has approved TCP over Second (2.5G) and Third (3G) Generation
Wireless Networks' <draft-ietf-pilc-2.5g3g-12.txt> as a BCP.  This
document is the product of the Performance Implications of Link
Characteristics Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are A. Mankin
and Scott Bradner

Technical Summary

      This document describes a profile for optimizing TCP to adapt so 
	that it handles paths that include segments that go over second
      (2.5G) and third (3G) generation wireless networks. It describes 
	the relevant characteristics of 2.5G and 3G networks, and specific
      features of example deployments of such networks. It then 
	recommends TCP algorithm choices for a device that is known to be 
	starting or ending on such a path (e.g. a GPRS phone) and it also 
	discusses open issues. The algorithsm recommended in this document 
	are commonly found in modern TCP stacks, and are widely available 
	standards-track mechanisms that the community considers safe for 
	use on the general Internet.

Working Group Summary
 
      The working group achieved very high consensus on this document,
      and brought strong background both the wireless impact on TCP
      and TCP's general characteristics, and TCP itself to the document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
      This document was reviewed for the IESG by Aaron Falk and Allison
      Mankin. Although there are now many TCP stacks and data services
      in 2.5G devices in operation, the TSV ADs believe that there would
      be value in concerted implementation reporting to complement this
      BCP's recommendations. It seems likely that the recommendations are
      in need of more publicity, at least.