Subject: Document Action: LDAPv2 to Historical Status

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 12:19:43 -0500

The IESG has reclassified the following RFCs as Historic:

RFC1777 Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
RFC1778 The String Representation of Standard Attribute Syntaxes
RFC1779 A String Representation of Distinguished Names
RFC1781 Using the OSI Directory to Achieve User Friendly Naming
RFC2559 Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Operational Protocols
        - LDAPv2

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'LDAPv2 to Historical Status'
<draft-zeilenga-ldapv2-04.txt> for publication as an Informational RFC.

This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Patrik Faltstrom and Ned
Freed.

Technical Summary
 
LDAPv2 (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol, version 2)
[RFC1777][RFC1778][RFC1779] was published in 1995 as a Draft Standard.
Since publication, a number of inadequacies in the specification have been
discovered. LDAPv3 [RFC2251] was published in 1997 as a Proposed Standard
to resolve these inadequacies.

The LDAPv2 specification is not generally adhered to. That is, a
independently developed implementation of the specification would not
interoperate with existing implementations as existing implementations use
syntaxes and semantics different than those prescribed by the specification.

Working Group Summary

As the LDAPv2 implementations which exists today interoperate more with
each other than the specification itself, it was not difficult getting
consensus on moving these RFC's tp historical status now when sufficient
LDAPv3 specifications exists as RFC's.

This has not been part of a working group charter, but the decision have
been reviewed and consensus has been found on the ldapbis wg mailing list.
 
Protocol Quality
 
The spec has been reviewed for the IESG by Patrik Faltstrom.