Subject: CORRECTED: WG Review: Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments (lemonade)

From: Jacqueline Hargest <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:46:21 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area. 
The IESG has not made any determination as yet.

The following description was submitted, and is provided for 
informational purposes only.

Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service 
environments (lemonade)
--------------------------------------------------------------

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Description of Working Group:

 Lemonade is tasked to provide a set of enhancements and profiles of 
 Internet email submission, transport, and retrieval protocols to 
 facilitate operation in environments which use Internet-based 
 technologies but which have link characteristics, device 
 characteristics, or service environments that are significantly 
 different from those common on the Internet. A primary goal of this 
 work is to ensure that those profiles and enhancements continue to
 interoperate with the existing Internet email protocols in use on the 
 Internet, so that these environments and more traditional Internet 
 users have access to a seamless service.

 Lemonade's work is at the crossroads of a body of work related to 
 Internet messaging, in particular work done by the VPIM, FAX, IMAPEXT 
 and other IETF working groups. Given the potentially broad scope of 
 activities this group could engage in, the group will focus 
 specifically on the following work items:

	 0. An informational RFC will be produced on LEMONADE requirements.

       1. Enhance the existing IMAP4 message retrieval protocol to 
	    satisfy the requirements for streaming playback of multimedia 
	    content. 
                   
       2. Enhance the exsiting IMAP4 message retrieval protocol to 
	    facilitate its use with devices that have limited capabilities 
	    such as mobile endpoints. The existing standards-track CONNEG 
	    framework will be used if content negotiation capabilities are 
	    needed.

       3. Create a message notification protocol for the specific purpose 
	    of servers reporting message status information to other 
	    servers.

       4. Create a specification describing the use of Internet message
          services in environments where message delivery may take place 
	    using either Internet protocols or through an MMS server using
          WAP to communicate with the receiving user agent.

 Any protocols defined by this working group will include appopriate 
 security mechanisms, including authentication, privacy, and access 
 control. Mandatory-to-implement security mechanisms will be specified as 
 needed in order to guarantee secure protocol interoperability.

 The transport area will be consulted to deal with any transport-related
 issues that arise, especially in regards to items 1-4 above.
                           
 The working group is aware of several related activities in other groups:

     - 3GPP TSG T WG2 SWG3 Messaging <http://www.3gpp.org/TB/T/T2/T2.htm>
     - W3C Mulitmodal interaction Activity <http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/>
     - Open Mobile Alliance <http://www.openmobilealliance.org/>
     - 3GPP2 TSG-P <http://3gpp2.org/Public_html/P/index.cfm>
     - 3GPP2 TSG-N <http://3gpp2.org/Public_html/N/index.cfm>

 The goal is to coordinate efforts with at least these groups as required.

 While there is obvious synergy, given the end-of-life of the VPIM and FAX 
 work groups and the similar membership, the working group does not expect 

 to coordinate with these other groups.