Subject: BCP 70, RFC 3470 on Guidelines for the Use of Extensible Markup Language (XML) within IETF Protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:36:39 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 70
        RFC 3470

        Title:      Guidelines for the Use of Extensible Markup
                    Language (XML) within IETF Protocols
        Author(s):  S. Hollenbeck, M. Rose, L. Masinter
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       January 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 64252
        SeeAlso:    BCP 70

        I-D Tag:    draft-hollenbeck-ietf-xml-guidelines-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3470.txt

The Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a framework for structuring
data.  While it evolved from Standard Generalized Markup Language
(SGML) -- a markup language primarily focused on structuring documents
-- XML has evolved to be a widely-used mechanism for representing
structured data.

There are a wide variety of Internet protocols being developed; many
have need for a representation for structured data relevant to their
application.  There has been much interest in the use of XML as a
representation method.  This document describes basic XML concepts,
analyzes various alternatives in the use of XML, and provides
guidelines for the use of XML within IETF standards-track protocols.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.