Subject: WG Review: Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments (lemonade)

From: Jacqueline Hargest <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:12:05 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area. 
The IESG has not made any determination as yet.

The following description was submitted, and is provided for 
informational purposes only.

Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments
(lemonade)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Description of Working Group:

Lemonade brings together a body of work related to Internet messaging,
in particular work done by the VPIM, FAX, IMAPEXT< and other IETF
working groups. The goal is to provide a set of enhancements and
profiles of Internet email submission, transport, and retrieval
protocols to facilitate operation in environments which use
Internet-based technologies but which have link characteristics, device
characteristics, or service environments that are significantly
different from those common on the Internet.  A primary goal of this
work is to ensure that those profiles and enhancements continue to
interoperate with the existing Internet email protocols in use on the
Internet, so that these environments and more traditional Internet
users have access to a seamless service.

Given the potentially broad scope of "unified messaging", this working
group will focus specifically on the following work items:

1.  An informational RFC will be produced on LEMONADE requiremens.

2.  Enhance the existing IMAP4 message retrieval protocol to satisfy
    the requirements for streaming playback of multimedia content.

3.  Enhance the exsiting IMAP4 message retrieval protocol to facilitate
    its use with devices that have limited capabilities such as mobile
    endpoints. The existing standards-track CONNEG framework will be 
    used if content negotiation capabilities are needed.

3.  Create a message notification protocol for the specific purpose of
    servers reporting message status information to other servers.

4.  Create a specification describing the use of Internet message
    services in environments where message delivery may take place
    using either Internet protocols or external protocols such as SMS.

Any protocols defined by this working group will include appopriate
security mechanisms, including authentication, privacy, and access
control. Mandatory-to-implement security mechanisms will be specified as
needed in order to guarantee secure protocol interoperability.

The transport area will be consulted to deal with any transport-related
issues that arise, especially in regards to items 1, 2, and 3 above.

The BOF is aware of several related activities in other groups:

- 3GPP TSG T WG2 SWG3 Messaging  <http://www.3gpp.org/TB/T/T2/T2.htm>

- W3C Mulitmodal interaction Activity <http://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/>

- Open Mobile Alliance <http://www.openmobilealliance.org/>

- 3GPP2 TSG-P <http://3gpp2.org/Public_html/P/index.cfm>

- 3GPP2 TSG-N <http://3gpp2.org/Public_html/N/index.cfm>

The goal is to coordinate efforts with at least these groups as 
required.

While there is obvious synergy, given the end-of-life of the VPIM and
FAX work groups and the similar membership, the BOF does not expect to
coordinate with those groups.

Drafts to be used as input for working group deliverables (grouped per
milestone)
=========================================================

o draft-vaudreuil-um-issues-00.txt

o draft-burger-um-reqts-00.txt

o draft-wong-umcli-00.txt

o draft-shapira-snap-04.txt

o draft-burger-imap-chanuse-00.txt

o draft-nerenberg-imap-channel-01.txt

o draft-neystadt-imap-status-counters-00.txt

o draft-shveidel-mediasize-00.txt

o draft-vaudreuil-futuredelivery-00.txt