Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:36:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Traffic Engineering Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A Framework for Internet Traffic Engineering 
                          Measurement
	Author(s)	: W. Lai, R. Tibbs, S. Van den Berghe
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2003-1-10
	
In this document, a measurement framework for supporting the traffic 
engineering of IP-based networks is presented.  Uses of traffic 
measurement in service provider environments are described, and 
issues related to time scale and read-out period are discussed.  
Different measurement types are classified, with each being 
specified as a meaningful combination of a measurement entity and a 
measurement basis. 
For interoperable compatibility, uniform definitions across vendors 
and operators must be ensured, e.g., in the distinction between 
offered load and achieved throughput.  To aid network dimensioning, 
mechanisms to collect node-pair-based traffic data should be 
developed to facilitate the derivation of per-service-class traffic 
matrix statistics.  For service assurance, there is a need for the 
use of higher-order statistics.  To preserve representative traffic 
detail at manageable sample volumes, there is a need for packet-
sampled measurements.  To manage large volume of measured data, use 
of bulk transfer and filtering/aggregation mechanisms may be 
appropriate.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-measure-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.