Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gutmann-pkix-ocsp-rtcs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:36:14 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: X.509 Internet Public Key Infrastructure Real-time 
                          Certificate Status Facility for OCSP - (RTCS)
	Author(s)	: P. Gutmann
	Filename	: draft-gutmann-pkix-ocsp-rtcs-00.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2003-1-10
	
When the OCSP protocol was defined, the design was based on full compatibility with CRL-based mechanisms.  This requires the use of a complex means of certificate identification that has resulted in interoperability problems among implementations, the inability to provide an unambiguous certificate status response (the only thing that a CRL can say with certainty is 'revoked'), and an online responder tied to an offline mechanism (some CAs issue CRLs only once or twice a day, even though they have an online, realtime certificate store available).
Fortunately, the authors of the OCSP RFC foresaw this situation by allowing a client to specify, and a responder to return, more than one type of response.
Just as the original OCSP responses were designed for completely CRL-
compatible operation, this document specifies a response type that is designed for real-time status operation, providing a response not from a stored CRL using CRL-only mechanisms but directly from a live certificate store.  This allows the responder to provide extended information not possible with CRLs.

In abstract terms, the responder is providing an implementation of an
authenticated dictionary that responds to membership queries from relying parties.  A conventional OCSP responder answers the question 'Is x excluded from D?', while an OCSP responder with RTCS capability answers the question 'Is x present in D?'.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gutmann-pkix-ocsp-rtcs-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gutmann-pkix-ocsp-rtcs-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gutmann-pkix-ocsp-rtcs-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.