Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 08:28:06 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application Configuration Access Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: ACAP Media Type Dataset Class
	Author(s)	: C. Newman, A. Melnikov
	Filename	: draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2003-1-6
	
With the definition of standardized media types in MIME it has become
necessary to keep mapping tables which translate between the standard
media type names, commonly used file name extensions, any platform
specific typing mechanism, and helper applications to view, compose,
edit or print media types.  Supplying a set of site defaults is
useful so that users won't have to configure well-known types.  The
mailcap mechanism provides some of this functionality in a
homogeneous environment with a shared file system, and both the
Macintosh program 'Internet Config' and the Windows Registry have had
some success in consolidating these tables for multiple applications
on a single machine.  But neither of these addresses the problems of
multi-platform users or a heterogeneous environment.
Application Configuration Access Protocol (ACAP) provides appropriate
facilities for this need.  ACAP's dataset structure is extensible and
ACAP's inheritance feature provides for enterprise default settings
with per-user customization.  This memo defines an ACAP dataset class
for media type mapping tables.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-acap-mediatype-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.