Subject: Protocol Action: MDN profile for IMAP to Proposed

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:31:16 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'MDN profile for IMAP' 
<draft-melnikov-imap-mdn-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom. 

Technical Summary 

Message Disposition Notifications (MDNs), also known as 
'acknowledgements' or 'receipt notifications', are one of the widely 
used features of X.400 and the proprietary 'LAN-based' messaging 
systems. The MDN facility defined in RFC 2298 describes how this 
functionality can be implemented for Internet Mail. However, it 
doesn't describe how multiple Mail User Agents (MUAs) may use MDNs 
together with the Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP4).

This document describes how to handle Message Disposition Notifications 
in an IMAP4 environment and provides guidelines for implementers of 
IMAP4 that want to add MDN support to their products.

Working Group Summary

This document has been reviewed in the IMAPEXT Working Group but is 
not a product of that group.

Protocol Quality 

Ned Freed reviewed the document for the IESG. Although the last call 
was for BCP the IESG decided that proposed standard status was more 
appropriate.

RFC Editor note

The abstract should be changed to read:

The Message Disposition Notification (MDN) facility defined in RFC 
2298 provides a means by which a message can request that message 
processing by the recipient be acknowledged as well as a format to be 
used for such acknowledgements. However, it doesn't describe how 
multiple Mail User Agents (MUAs) should handle the generation of MDNs 
in an Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP4) environment.

This document describes how to handle Message Disposition Notifications 
in such an environment and provides guidelines for implementers of the 
Internet Message Access Protocol that want to add MDN support to their 
products.