Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dcsgroup-sipping-arch-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 07:23:06 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Architectural Considerations for Providing Carrier 
                          Class Telephony Services Utilizing Session Initiation 
                          Protocol SIP-based Distributed Call Control Mechanisms
	Author(s)	: W. Marshall, M. Osman, F. Andreasen, D. Evans
	Filename	: draft-dcsgroup-sipping-arch-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2003-1-16
	
This document provides an overview of a SIP-based Distributed Call 
Signaling (DCS) architecture to support carrier class packet-based 
voice, video, and other real time multimedia services.  Companion 
documents address a specific set of SIP 2.0 protocol extensions and 
usage rules that are necessary to implement the DCS architecture in 
an interoperable fashion. 
The DCS architecture takes advantage of endpoint intelligence in 
supporting telephony services without sacrificing the network's 
ability to provide value through mechanisms such as resource 
management, lookup of directory information and translation 
databases, routing services, security, and privacy enforcement.  At 
the same time, the architecture provides flexibility to allow 
evolution in the services that may be provided by endpoints and the 
network. 
DCS also takes into account the need to manage access to network 
resources and account for resource usage.  The SIP usage rules 
defined in the accompanying IDs specifically address the 
coordination between Distributed Call Signaling and dynamic quality 
of service control mechanisms for managing resources over the access 
network.  In addition, the DCS architecture defines the interaction 
needed between network provided call controllers, known as a 'DCS-
proxy' for supporting these services.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dcsgroup-sipping-arch-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dcsgroup-sipping-arch-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dcsgroup-sipping-arch-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.