Subject: RFC 3444 on On the Difference between Information Models and Data Models

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:51:53 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3444

        Title:      On the Difference between Information Models and
                    Data Models
        Author(s):  A. Pras, J. Schoenwaelder
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       January 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 18596
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-nmrg-im-dm-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3444.txt

There has been ongoing confusion about the differences between
Information Models and Data Models for defining managed objects in
network management.  This document explains the differences between
these terms by analyzing how existing network management model
specifications (from the IETF and other bodies such as the
International Telecommunication Union (ITU) or the Distributed
Management Task Force (DMTF)) fit into the universe of Information
Models and Data Models.

This memo documents the main results of the 8th workshop of the
Network Management Research Group (NMRG) of the Internet Research
Task Force (IRTF) hosted by the University of Texas at Austin.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.