Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:44:16 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Socket API for source address selection
	Author(s)	: E. Nordmark, S. Chakrabarti et al.
	Filename	: draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2003-2-24
	
The IPv6 default address selection document describes the rules for
selecting default source address by the system and indicates that
the applications should be able to reverse the sense of system
preference of source address selection for that application through
possible API extensions. However, no such socket APIs exist in the
basic or advanced IPv6 socket API documents. Hence this document 
specifies socket level options to prefer a particular source 
address as per the choice of the applications. It also discusses 
implications on the name-to-address translation API that performs
part of the default address selection. The socket APIs described in
this document will be particularly useful for Mobile IPv6 enabled
applications and other IPv6 applications which want to choose 
between temporary and public addresses, CGA (cryptographically 
generated addresses) and non-CGA addresses etc..

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chakrabarti-ipv6-addrselect-api-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.