Subject: Response to Glen Zorn appeal

From: "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:53:23 -0500

To: Glen Zorn
Cc: RFC Editor, IETF-Announce
Subject: Response to appeal on draft-chiba-radius-dynamic-authorization

On Wednesday, January 15, 2003, Glen Zorn <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is to request that the IESG review and reverse its decision to
> approve the document draft-chiba-radius-dynamic-authorization-05.txt for
> publication as an Informational RFC.  This draft allocates new RADIUS
> packet type codes (40-45).  RFC 2865 states in section 6.2, however, that
> "Because a new Packet Type has considerable impact on interoperability, a
> new Packet Type Code requires Standards Action...".  I suppose that a case
> could be made for "grandfathering in" these type codes if they had been
> registered w/IANA under either RFC 2058 or RFC 2138 (both of which lacked
> an IANA Considerations section), but the type codes in question have
> apparently never been registered with IANA at all (see
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/radius-types).
>
> Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Glen,

the IESG has considered this matter, and concluded that you are right.
Under the current rules, formal allocation of RADIUS packet type codes can 
only be done by standards action, which this document clearly is not.

There are multiple possible actions:

- Reissue the document as Standards Track
- Change the rules for RADIUS type codes so that they don't require
  Standards Action (this would be a standards action, of course)
- Issue a specific variance for allocating just this set of codes without
  declaring the defining document a standard (RFC 2026 section 9).

The IESG will work with the proposers of this document to figure out what 
the best thing for the Internet community is.

Until we've figured that out, we are hereby requesting the RFC Editor to 
not publish draft-chiba-radius-dynamic-authorization-05.txt as an RFC.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

                     Harald Alvestrand
                      For the IESG