Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gurbani-spirits-implementation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 06:44:15 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Early implementation of the Services in PSTN 
                          requesting Internet services (SPIRITS) protocol
	Author(s)	: V. Gurbani et al.
	Filename	: draft-gurbani-spirits-implementation-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2003-2-21
	
The SPIRITS protocol defines the mechanisms and the semantics to
subscribe to and convey certain PSTN events to interested Internet
hosts for service execution [1].  This Internet-Draft describes our
initial implementation of a SPIRITS framework based on the
architecture and requirements outlined in [2] and [3], respectively.
We have implemented two services based on such an architecture: a
SPIRITS-based presence service which provides a coarse-grained
presence status for a user represented by a device (phone), and a
SPIRITS-based Instant Messaging (IM) service whereby the PSTN sends a
SIP IM to a SPIRITS User Agent (UA).  These services, the attendant
architecture and the relevant call flows are described next.
It is expected that the reader is conversant in the SPIRITS and SIP
terminology.  For those who are not, [5,6] provide a good reference
for SIP and its event-based mechanism, and [1,2,3] provide a good
reference for SPIRITS.
It is important to point out that the SPIRITS protocol [1] is not a
standard yet, it is still an Internet-Draft.  Thus, what is described
in this draft is an early implementation designed to validate the
suitability of the protocol as well as provide some implementation
experience that will be leveraged in further refining the protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gurbani-spirits-implementation-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gurbani-spirits-implementation-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gurbani-spirits-implementation-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.