Subject: WG Review: Problem Statement (problem)

From: Steve Coya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:06:06 -0500

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the General Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. 

The following Description was submitted, and is provided for
informational purposes only:

Problem Statement (problem)
---------------------------

 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Description of Working Group:

Discussions during 2002 have revealed a significant number of thoughts
about problems that exist with the way the IETF operates. In advance of
trying to change the IETF procedures and rules to deal with these
problems, the IETF should have a clear, agreed description of what
problems we are trying to solve.

This group is charged with producing the document describing these
problems. The analysis of the problem should seek out the root causes 
of the problems as well as the perceived derivative problems.

The intent is that the group will discuss issues on its mailing list,
and that there will be an editing team to produce a clear concise
problem statement on which the group has come to consensus and present
to the IETF as a basis for an IETF consensus.

As a second work item, the group will also produce a proposal for a
process to develop solutions to the problems identified by this working
group.

It is not a part of this group's charter to propose solutions to the
problems.

The work items will be reviewed in IESG plenary at the IETF.