Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fang-ppvpn-security-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:01:06 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Security Framework for Provider Provisioned Virtual 
                          Private Networks
	Author(s)	: L. Fang et al.
	Filename	: draft-fang-ppvpn-security-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2003-2-25
	
This draft addresses security aspects pertaining to Provider 
Provisioned Virtual Private Networks (PPVPNs). We first describe the 
security threats that are relevant in the context of PPVPNs, and the 
defensive techniques that can be used to combat those threats. We 
consider security issues deriving both from malicious behavior of 
anyone and from negligent or incorrect behavior of the providers. We 
also describe how these security attacks should be detected and 
reported. We then discuss the possible user requirements in terms of 
security in a PPVPN service. These user requirements translate into 
corresponding requirements for the providers. In addition, the 
provider may have additional requirements to make its network 
infrastructure secure and meet the VPN customerÆs expectations. 
Finally, we define how these user requirements apply to specific 
PPVPN technologies, namely RFC2547 PPVPNs, Virtual Router PPVPNs, 
IPSec VPNs, and Layer 2 PPVPNs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fang-ppvpn-security-framework-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fang-ppvpn-security-framework-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fang-ppvpn-security-framework-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.