Subject: RFC 3465 on TCP Congestion Control with Appropriate Byte Counting (ABC)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 09:53:36 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3465

        Title:      TCP Congestion Control with Appropriate Byte
                    Counting (ABC)
        Author(s):  M. Allman
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       February 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 23486
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-allman-tcp-abc-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3465.txt

This document proposes a small modification to the way TCP increases
its congestion window.  Rather than the traditional method of
increasing the congestion window by a constant amount for each
arriving acknowledgment, the document suggests basing the increase
on the number of previously unacknowledged bytes each ACK covers.
This change improves the performance of TCP, as well as closes a
security hole TCP receivers can use to induce the sender into
increasing the sending rate too rapidly.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.