Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-durand-v6ops-dualstack-vs-natpt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:43:44 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Dual stack vs NAT-PT
	Author(s)	: A. Durand
	Filename	: draft-durand-v6ops-dualstack-vs-natpt-00.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2003-2-24
	
Outside of the IETF community, lot of people think that IPv4 to IPv6
transition consist merely at solving the problem of how does a v4 box
communicate with a v6 box and vice versa.  Within the IETF, the dual
stack approach has long been defined.  There is an ongoing discussion
to understand if translation with tools like [NAT-PT] is absolutly
needed to enable IPv6 nodes to communicate with an IPv4 node or if we
can/should mandate IPv6 nodes to also deploy an IPv4 stack if/when
they needs to communicate with IPv4 nodes.  This draft is aimed at
clarifying the discussion without taking side by studying in 3 cases
the implications of mandating a dual-stack versus the implications of
deploying a translation device.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-durand-v6ops-dualstack-vs-natpt-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-durand-v6ops-dualstack-vs-natpt-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-durand-v6ops-dualstack-vs-natpt-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.