Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lee-ppvpn-hybrid-vpls-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:43:21 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Hybrid Virtual Private LAN Service
	Author(s)	: C. Lee
	Filename	: draft-lee-ppvpn-hybrid-vpls-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2003-2-26
	
This draft describes a solution to enable an emulated LAN Service or
Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) by decoupling the bridging and
tunneling of Ethernet traffic into Customer Located Equipment (CLE)
or Customer Edge (CE) and Provider Edge (PE), respectively.  This
decoupling of functions allows an operator to provision point-to-
point transport of Ethernet services for customer on PEs, while
leveraging bridging functions at CLEs to forward traffic towards the
appropriate point-to-point Ethernet service leading to the
destination node. This decoupling of functions also allow providers
to leverage existing network infrastructures to enable VPLS while
easing migration to new network infrastructures. This approach scales
as the number of customers and sites increases, and as customers'
emulated LAN sites span over a large wide area network.  It is also
the intention to show that an interface like Ethernet can be offered
to customers and emulated LAN services can be enabled, but it is not
mandatory to introduce VLAN like technologies (or PE-based type of
VPLS) in the provider's network. In addition, existing and
heterogeneous access technologies can be supported in a common
network infrastructure.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lee-ppvpn-hybrid-vpls-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lee-ppvpn-hybrid-vpls-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lee-ppvpn-hybrid-vpls-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.