Subject: Protocol Action: Subnet Selection sub-option for the Relay Agent Information Option to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:53:35 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Subnet Selection sub-option
for the Relay Agent Information Option'
<draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   In "Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol" (RFC2131), the giaddr
   field specifies a single address that indicates both the subnet on
   which a DHCP client resides as well as the IP address through which
   the DHCP response is to be relayed back to the client. The Subnet
   Selection Option (RFC 3011) allows a client (when acting as a DHCP
   proxy) to override the default function of the giaddr so that a
   different address can be provided to indicate the subnet from which
   to allocate an IP address on (the giaddr field still indicates the
   IP (relay) address through which the DHCP server responds to the
   client).

   Analgous situations exist where the relay agent needs to specify a
   subnet on which a DHCP client resides that is different from the
   address in the giaddr field. The DHCP Relay Agent Subnet-Selection
   sub-option specified in this document provides a mechanism to do
   this.

Working Group Summary

There was support for this document in the WG, and no issues were
raised during Last Call.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.