Subject: WG Action: Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:54:44 -0500

A new working group has been formed in the Internet Area of the IETF. 
For additional information, contact the Area Directors or the Working 
Group Chairs.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)
--------------------------------

     Current Status: Active Working Group

     Chair(s):
             R. Droms <[email-masked]>

     Internet Area Director(s):
             Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
             E. Nordmark <[email-masked]>

     Internet Area Advisor:
             Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

     Mailing Lists:
             General Discussion:[email-masked]
             To Subscribe: http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg
             Archive: http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dhcwg

 Description of Working Group

 The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
 allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
 protocol stack parameters. DHCP is currently a "Draft Standard". The
 base protocol is documented in RFC2131 and RFC2132 (DHCP for IPv4) and
 RFCxxxx (DHCP for IPv6). Additional options are documented in
 subsequent RFCs.

 The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing (and sometimes developing)
 DHCP options or other extensions (for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG
 is expected to review all proposed extensions to DHCP to ensure that
 they are consistent with the DHCP specification and other option
 formats, that they do not duplicate existing mechanisms, etc. The DHC
 WG will not (generally) be responsible for evaluating the semantic
 content of proposed options. The DHC WG will not adopt new proposals
 for extensions to DHCP as working group documents without first
 coordinating with other relevant working groups and determining who
 has the responsibility for reviewing the semantic content of an
 option.

 The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

 * The DHC WG will address security in DHCP

       o Develop and document security requirements for DHCP. RFC 3118
           defines current security mechanisms for DHCPv4. Unfortunately,
           RFC 3118 has neither been implemented nor deployed to date.
           Specific issues to be considered include:

           - Improved key management and scalability
           - Security for messages passed between relay agents and servers
           - Threats of DoS attacks through FORCERENEW
           - The increased usage of DHC on unsecured (e.g., wireless) and
               public LANs
           - The need for clients to be able to authenticate servers, without
               simultaneously requiring client authentication by the server.

       o Develop and document a roadmap of any new documents or protocols
           needed to meet the security requirements for DHCP

 * Write an analysis of the DHCP specification, including RFC2131,
       RFC2132 and other RFCs defining additional options, which identifies
       ambiguities, contradictory specifications and other obstacles to
       development of interoperable implementations. Recommend a process
       for resolving identified problems and incorporating the resolutions
       into the DHCP specification.

 * Complete or abandon work on DHCPv6 options that are currently work
       in progress:

           IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6
               <draft-troan-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-02.txt>
           DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6
               <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-01.txt>
           Load Balancing for DHCPv6
               <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-loadb-02.txt>
           NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6
               <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-01.txt>
           Time Configuration Options for DHCPv6
               <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-01.txt>
           Client Preferred Prefix option for DHCPv6
               <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-cliprefprefix-00.txt>
           A Guide to Implementing Stateless DHCPv6 Service
               <draft-droms-dhcpv6-stateless-guide-00.txt>
           DSTM Options for DHCPv6
               <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dstm-01.txt>
           DSTM Ports Option for DHCPv6
               <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dstm-ports-01.txt>

 * Complete or abandon work on DHCP extensions and options that are
       currently work in progress:

           Failover protocol
               <draft-ietf-dhc-failover-11.txt>
           The DHCP Client FQDN Option
               <draft-ietf-dhc-fqdn-option-04.txt>
           Resolution of DNS Name Conflicts Among DHCP Clients
               <draft-ietf-dhc-ddns-resolution-04.txt>
           DHCP Server MIB
               <draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-07.txt>
           Considerations for the use of the Host Name option
               <draft-ietf-dhc-host-option-considerations-01.txt>
           DHCP Lease Query
               <draft-ietf-dhc-leasequery-04.txt>
           DHCP Options for Internet Storage Name Service
               <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-03.txt>
           Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Server MIB
               <draft-ietf-dhc-server-mib-07.txt>
           DHCP Option for Mobile IP Mobility Agents
               <draft-ietf-dhc-mipadvert-opt-00.txt>
           DHCP VPN Information Option
               <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option-02.txt>
           KDC Server Address Sub-option
               <draft-ietf-dhc-suboptions-kdc-serveraddress-00.txt>
           The Authentication Suboption for the DHCP Relay Agent Option
               <draft-ietf-dhc-auth-suboption-00.txt>
           Link Selection sub-option for the Relay Agent Information Option
               <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-subnet-selection-03.txt>
           VPN Identifier sub-option for the Relay Agent Information Option
               <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id-02.txt>
           RADIUS Attributes Sub-option for the DHCP Relay Agent Information Option
               <draft-ietf-dhc-agentopt-radius-02.txt>
           DHCP Subscriber ID Suboption for the DHCP Relay Agent Option
               <draft-ietf-dhc-subscriber-id-00.txt>

 Milestones (these are to replace the existing ones that are there):

 Done Resubmit draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-28.txt to IESG
 Done Identify DHCPv4 authentication design team
 Done Identify DHCPv4 specification review design team
 Done Identify DHCPv4 relay agent message authentication design team
 Done WG Last Call on "DHCP Options for Internet Storage Name Service"
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-03.txt>
 Done WG Last Call on "DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6"
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-01.txt>
 Done WG Last Call on "NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6"
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-01.txt>
 Done WG Last Call on "Time Configuration Options for DHCPv6"
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-01.txt>
 Done WG Last Call on "IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6"
                       <draft-troan-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-02.txt>
 Done WG Last Call on "Load Balancing for DHCPv6"
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-loadb-02.txt>
 2003-02 Submit "DHCP Options for Internet Storage Name Service" to IESG
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-isnsoption-03.txt>
 2003-02 Submit "DNS Configuration options for DHCPv6" to IESG
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsconfig-01.txt>
 2003-02 Submit "NIS Configuration Options for DHCPv6" to IESG
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-nisconfig-01.txt>
 2003-02 Submit "Time Configuration Options for DHCPv6" to IESG
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-01.txt>
 2003-03 Submit "IPv6 Prefix Options for DHCPv6" to IESG
                       <draft-troan-dhcpv6-opt-prefix-delegation-02.txt>
 2003-03 Submit "Load Balancing for DHCPv6" to IESG
                       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-loadb-02.txt>
 2003-04 Update milestones to include all WG documents
 2003-06 DHCPv4 authentication design team report completed
 2003-06 DHCPv4 specification review report completed
 2003-06 Select DHCPv4 relay agent message authentication mechanism