Subject: RFC 3482 on Number Portability in the Global Switched Telephone Network (GSTN): An Overview

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:41:41 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3482

        Title:      Number Portability in the Global Switched
                    Telephone Network (GSTN): An Overview
        Author(s):  M. Foster, T. McGarry, J. Yu
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      30
        Characters: 78552
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-enum-e164-gstn-np-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3482.txt

This document provides an overview of E.164 telephone number
portability (NP) in the Global Switched Telephone Network
(GSTN).

NP is a regulatory imperative seeking to liberalize local
telephony service competition, by enabling end-users to retain
telephone numbers while changing service providers.  NP changes the
fundamental nature of a dialed E.164 number from a hierarchical
physical routing address to a virtual address, thereby requiring the
transparent translation of the later to the former.  In addition,
there are various regulatory constraints that establish relevant
parameters for NP implementation, most of which are not network
technology specific.  Consequently, the implementation of NP
behavior consistent with applicable regulatory constraints, as well
as the need for interoperation with the existing GSTN NP
implementations, are relevant topics for numerous areas of IP
telephony works-in-progress with the IETF.

This document is a product of the Telephone Number Mapping Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.