Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-tutorial-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:26:16 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Understanding IKEv2: Tutorial, and rationale for 
                          decisions
	Author(s)	: R. Perlman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-tutorial-00.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2003-2-27
	
The main job of a protocol specification is to document how the
protocol works. It is sometimes difficult to learn how a protocol
works from such a document, because there are so many details, and
the necessary formalism for accuracy makes a specification long and
intimidating to read. What also is usually lost in the process of
creating an RFC for a protocol is documentation of the tradeoffs that
were considered when making controversial choices.  Sometimes it is
possible to find this information on the email archives, but that is
a daunting task.  This document is intended to work both as a
tutorial to understanding IKEv2, and a summary of the controversial
issues, with the reasoning on all sides of each issue.  If any
differences in details exist between this document and the IKEv2
specification, the IKEv2 specification is authoritative. This
document is intended only to make the IKEv2 specification more
understandable on the first reading, as well as documenting reasoning
behind decisions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-tutorial-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-tutorial-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-tutorial-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.