Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:21:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Reorder Density Function - Metric for packet 
			  reordering measurement
	Author(s)	: A. Jayasumana, N. Piratla, A. Bare, T. Banka
	Filename	: draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2003-2-11
	
Out of order arrival of packets can degrade the performance of many
TCP-based, VoIP-based and Video-based applications significantly.
There is a need for a metric that can meaningfully, accurately and
unambiguously characterize reordering. This memo proposes a new
metric called Reorder Density function (RD), which can give an
in-depth view of the reordering present in any packet sequence. This
well-defined metric can also be used to evaluate effects of protocol
and hardware implementations on packet reordering. The memo also
provides an algorithm to compute the reorder density function
followed by some illustrative examples.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.