Subject: Protocol Action: The application/ogg Media Type to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:33:51 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The application/ogg Media
Type' <draft-walleij-ogg-mediatype-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary

     The Ogg Bitstream Format aims at becoming a general, freely-
     available standard for transporting multimedia content across 
     computing platforms and networks. For details of the bitstream 
     format, see: http://xiph.org/ogg/doc/oggstream.html. The format 
     is a container for streaming data of varied types. For these, 
     ogg codecs use the format to provide framing/sync, sync recapture 
     after error, landmarks during seeking, and enough information to 
     properly separate data back into packets at the original packet 
     boundaries without relying on decoding to find packet boundaries. 
     This kind of bitstream differs from the data carried by RTP, but 
     a compatibility mechanism is in development.

     The application/ogg MIME type refers to Ogg Bitstream Format 
     bitstreams, when no further knowledge of the bitstream content 
     exists. This specification defines and requests registration of 
     the MIME media type application/ogg to refer to this kind of 
     content when transported across the Internet.

Working Group Summary

     This specification is an individual submission. No technical 
     issues were raised and support for publication was expressed 
     during the one month IETF Last Call.

Protocol Quality

     Allison Mankin and Ned Freed reviewed the specification for the 
     IESG. It was also given a review by Colin Perkins.

RFC Editor Note:
Please make the following change to the References:

 Old:

 [1] Pfeiffer, S., "The Ogg encapsulation format version 0",
                 Internet-Draft XXXX, November 2002.

 New:

 [1] Pfeiffer, S., "The Ogg encapsulation format version 0",
           draft-pfeiffer-ogg-fileformat-01.txt (Work-in-Progress)