Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:23:09 -0500

The Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet) Working Group in the Routing Area of 
the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, contact the 
Area Directors or the Working Group Chairs.

Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)
------------------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group

 Chair(s):
     Joseph Macker  <[email-masked]>
     Scott Corson  <[email-masked]>

 Routing Area Director(s):
     Bill Fenner  <[email-masked]>
     A. Zinin  <[email-masked]>

 Routing Area Advisor:
     A. Zinin  <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists: 
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       subscribe manet
     Archive:           www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/manet/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

The purpose of this working group is to standardize IP routing
protocol functionality suitable for wireless routing application
within both static and dynamic topologies. The fundamental design
issues are that the wireless link interfaces have some unique routing
interface characteristics and that node topologies within a wireless
routing region may experience increased dynamics, due to motion or
other factors.

In the past, this WG has focused on exploring a broad range of MANET
problems, performance issues, and related candidate protocols. Under
this revised charter, the WG will operate under a reduced scope by
targeting the promotion of a number of core routing protocol
specifications to EXPERIMENTAL RFC status (i.e., AODV, DSR, OLSR and
TBRPF). Some maturity of understanding and implementation exists with
each of these protocols, yet more operational experimentation
experience is seen as desirable. Overall, these protocols provide a
basic set of MANET capabilities covering both reactive and proactive
design spaces.

With this experimental protocol base established, the WG will move on
to design and develop MANET common group engineered routing
specification(s) and introduce these to the Internet Standards track.
Lessons learned from existing proposals will provide useful design
input, but the target for this effort is a common group engineering
effort not a recompilation of an existing approaches.

As part of this effort, the WG will address the aspects of security
and congestion control in the designed routing protocol(s).

This working group will work closely with the Internet Research Task
Force (IRTF) groups on Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (RRG) for tracking and
considering any mature developments from the related research
community.

 Goals and Milestones:

   Done         Post as an informational Internet-Drafts a discussion 
		    of mobile ad-hoc networking and issues. 

   Done         Agenda bashing, discussion of charter and of mobile ad 
		    hoc networking draft. 

Goals and Milestones:

Done: Submit I-D of MANET Design Considerations
Done: Produce Informational RFC on Manet Design Considerations
Done: Submit I-D(s) of Proposed Protocols
Done: Explore basic performance and implementation issues of various 
	approaches
Done: Promote implementations and testing of proposed I-D(s)
Done: Update I-D(s) based upon initial design experiences

JAN 2003: Submit AODV specification to IESG for publication as 
	    Experimental RFC
MAR 2003: Submit DSR specification to IESG for publication as 
	    Experimental RFC
MAR 2003: Submit OLSR specification to IESG for publication as 
	    Experimental RFC
MAR 2003: Submit TBRPF specification to IESG for publication as 
	    Experimental RFC
JUN 2003: Develop a further focused problem statement and address an 
	    approach for a common engineering work effort
NOV 2003: Reevaluate the WG's potential based on the problem statement 
	    consensus

   OCT 97       Post Internet-Drafts for candidate protocols. 

   Done         Discuss proposed protocols and issues. Redefine charter. 

   FEB 98       Submit Internet-Draft of MANET Terminology Document to 
		    IESG for publication as an informational RFC. 

   FEB 98       Submit Internet-Draft of MANET Routing Protocol 
		    Performance Issues and Evaluation Considerations to 
		    IESG for publication as an informational RFC. 

   MAR 98       Revise candidate I-Ds as appropriate 

   AUG 98       Target demonstration of working software prototypes 

   MAR 99       Target interoperable implementations, and review any 
                required protocol modifications. Publish as I-D 

   DEC 99       Document and submit protocol specification(s) to IESG as 
                proposed standards