Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-manet-olsr-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:21:55 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Optimized Link State Routing Protocol
	Author(s)	: T. Clausen, P. Jacquet
	Filename	: draft-ietf-manet-olsr-09.txt
	Pages		: 72
	Date		: 2003-4-15
	
This document describes the Optimized Link State Routing (OLSR)
protocol for mobile ad hoc networks.  The protocol is an optimization
of the classical link state algorithm tailored to the requirements of
a mobile wireless LAN.  The key concept used in the protocol is that
of multipoint relays (MPRs) [1], [2].  MPRs are selected nodes which
forward broadcast messages during the flooding process.  This
technique substantially reduces the message overhead as compared to a
classical flooding mechanism, where every node retransmits each
message when it receives the first copy of the message.  In OLSR,
link state information is generated only by nodes elected as MPRs.
Thus, a second optimization is achieved by minimizing the number of
control messages flooded in the network.  As a third optimization, an
MPR node may chose to report only links between itself and its MPR
selectors.  Hence, as contrary to the classic link state algorithm,
partial link state information is distributed in the network.  This
information is then used by for route calculation.  OLSR provides
optimal routes (in terms of number of hops).  The protocol is
particularly suitable for large and dense networks as the technique
of MPRs works well in this context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-olsr-09.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-manet-olsr-09.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-olsr-09.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.