Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chung-idnop-charprep-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 06:27:37 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: CHARPREP û Character Equivalency Preparations for IDN
	Author(s)	: E. Chung
	Filename	: draft-chung-idnop-charprep-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2003-4-1
	
Charprep intends to take up where Nameprep [NAMEPREP] left off to 
provide additional preventive measures to bridge the users conceptual 
perception of a multilingual domain name with the domain matching 
process.  The critical development from Nameprep is that common user 
perception is taken into account.  That is, Charprep strives to take 
the 'case-insensitivity' concept of user-friendliness to another 
level for IDNs because of the inherent complexity and potential 
confusion that could arise from the use of multilingual characters in 
domain names. 
Charprep is designed to be a framework for Zone Administrators (e.g. 
domain registries) to employ relevant equivalency tables to compute 
and generate variants from the original string to variants that could 
possibly create confusion with users.  The actual management of 
Reserved Variants (RV), Zone Variants (ZV) with the original string 
(Primary Domain) will be discussed in Zoneprep [ZONEPREP]. 
Furthermore, Charprep and Zoneprep are designed to be a recommended 
feature to be offered to users by a Zone Administrator (e.g. Domain 
Registries) in the management of Internationalized domain names 
(IDN).  A key concept is that these are done without affecting the 
IDN protocol specified in [RFC3490], [RFC3491] and [RFC3492].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chung-idnop-charprep-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-chung-idnop-charprep-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chung-idnop-charprep-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.