Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-multi6-nowwhat-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:26:45 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Site Multihoming: Now What?
	Author(s)	: P. Savola
	Filename	: draft-savola-multi6-nowwhat-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2003-4-25
	
ROUTING ARCHITECT'S WARNING: flagrant IPv4 site multihoming practices
cause a significant increase the routing table size, change rates and
instability, the tragedy of the commons by encouraging selfish
routing practices, the exhaustion of the 16-bit AS number space, and
may collapse the Internet interdomain routing architecture.
As there has been a desire to avoid similar problems as seen with
IPv4, the use of similar techniques to achieve site multihoming has
been prevented operationally in IPv6.  However, the long effort to
proceed with other IPv6 multihoming mechanisms has produced lots of
heat but little light.  This memo tries to list available techniques,
split the organizations to different types to separately examine
their multihoming needs, to look at the immediate and short-term
solutions for these organization types, and to list a few immediate
action items on how to proceed with IPv6 site multihoming.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savola-multi6-nowwhat-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-savola-multi6-nowwhat-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-savola-multi6-nowwhat-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.