Subject: Document Action: Netlink as an IP Services Protocol to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:18:08 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Netlink as an IP Services 
Protocol' <draft-ietf-forces-netlink-04.txt> as an Informational RFC.
This document is the product of the Forwarding and Control Element 
Separation Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bill Fenner 
and Alex Zinin.

Rfc-ed note:
 -------------

 Change Title
 OLD:
         Netlink as an IP Services Protocol
 NEW: 
         Linux Netlink as an IP Services Protocol

 Change Abstract
 OLD:
This document describes Linux Netlink, which is used in Linux both
as an intra-kernel messaging system as well as between kernel and
user space. This document is intended as informational in the 
context of prior art for the ForCES IETF working group. The focus 
of this
document is to describe Netlink from a perspective of a protocol
between a Forwarding Engine Component (FEC) and a Control Plane
Component (CPC), the two components that define an IP service.

The document ignores the ability of Netlink as a intra-kernel 
messaging system, as an inter-process communication scheme (IPC), or
as a configuration tool for other non-networking or non-IP network
services (such as decnet, etc.).
 NEW:
This document describes Linux Netlink, which is used in Linux both
as an intra-kernel messaging system as well as between kernel and
user space. The focus of this document is to describe Netlink's 
functionality as a protocol between a Forwarding Engine Component 
and a Control Plane Component , the two components that define an IP 
service. As a result of this focus, this document ignores other 
uses of Netlink, including its use as an intra-kernel messaging 
system, as an inter-process communication scheme (IPC), or as a 
configuration tool for non-networking or non-IP network services 
(such as DecNet, etc.).

This document is intended as informational in the 
context of prior art for the ForCES IETF working group. 

Change Section 1, para 1, line 1
 OLD:
The concept of IP Service control-forwarding separation was first
introduced in the early 1980s by the BSD 4.4 routing sockets [9].
 NEW:
The concept of IP Service control-forwarding separation was first
introduced in the early 1990s by the BSD 4.4 routing sockets [9].