Subject: Protocol Action: IP Header Compression over PPP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 11:15:26 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IP Header Compression Over
PPP" <draft-koren-pppext-rfc2509bis-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This
document is not the product of a working group. It was given a four week
Last Call. The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin, Jon Peterson 
Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary

The IP Header Compression (IPHC) defined in RFC2507 may be used for
compression of both IPv4 and IPv6 datagrams or packets encapsulated
with multiple IP headers. IPHC is also capable of compressing both
TCP and UDP transport protocol headers. The IP/UDP/RTP header compression
defined in RFC2508 and Enhanced Compressed RTbP (ECRTP) fits within
the framework defined by IPHC so that it may also be applied to both
IPv4 and IPv6 packets.

In order to establish compression of IP datagrams sent over a PPP
link each end of the link must agree on a set of configuration
parameters for the compression. The process of negotiating link
parameters for network layer protocols is handled in PPP by a family
of network control protocols (NCPs). Since there are separate NCPs
for IPv4 and IPv6, this document defines configuration options to be
used in both NCPs to negotiate parameters for the compression scheme.

This document obsoletes RFC 2509, adding two new suboptions to the IP
header compression configuration option. One suboption negotiates
usage of ECRTP and other suboption negotiates header compression 
for only TCP or only non-TCP packets.

IPHC relies on the link layer's ability to indicate the types of
datagrams carried in the link layer frames. In this document, nine new
types for the PPP Data Link Layer Protocol Field are defined along
with their meaning.

Working Group Summary

The PPPEXT working group gave a nominal review to this bis document
and did not find errors.

Protocol Quality/Review

This document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin and Thomas 
Narten.