Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ford-natp2p-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 07:18:09 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Network Address Translation and Peer-to-Peer 
                          Applications (NATP2P)
	Author(s)	: B. Ford
	Filename	: draft-ford-natp2p-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2003-4-8
	
This document describes and recommends methods by which peer-to-peer
(P2P) applications can operate efficiently in the presence of Network
Address Translation (NAT).  This document also provides
recommendations for the design of network address translators, in
order for them to support P2P applications effectively without
compromising security or performance.  This memo focuses on the
interaction of P2P with NAT in the absence of any special proxy,
gateway, or relaying protocols.  While not intending to preclude the
use of such protocols, the goal of this memo is to enable P2P
applications to function automatically without specific knowledge of
the type, location, or configuration of the NAT.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ford-natp2p-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ford-natp2p-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ford-natp2p-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.