Subject: WG Action: Application Exchange WG (apex) to conclude

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:25:51 -0400

Application Exchange Working Group (apex)
in the Applications Area of the IETF has been concluded.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Ned Freed.

+++

The group was chartered to:

"specify protocols and data formats that
define a relaying mesh service for loosely-coupled Internet
applications, along with specifying services to provide access
control and rendezvous-by-subscription. In addition, the working
group shall specify CPIM-compliant application services for
text-based instant messaging and for online presence, based on the
APEX service."

RFCs 3340,3341, and 3342 document the core elements of APEX,
its access service, and a common set of options. The group
did not define a service for text-based instant messaging and online
presence, though an individual RFC with an experimental
specification of an APEX-based presence service will be forthcoming.
Work on protocols for instant messaging and presence
is ongoing in the XMPP and SIMPLE working groups, and interested
parties should consult those working group charters and archives
for related work.