Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 06:27:41 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DCLOR: De-correlated Loss Recovery using SACK option
                          for spurious timeouts
	Author(s)	: V. Swaminathan, K. Le
	Filename	: draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-01.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2003-4-1
	
A spurious timeout in TCP forces the sender to unnecessarily
retransmit one complete congestion window of data into the network.
In addition, TCP uses the rate of arrival of ACKs as the basic
criterion for congestion control. TCP makes the assumption that the
rate at which ACKs are received reflects the end-to-end state of the
network in terms of congestion. But after a spurious-timeout, the
ACKs don't reflect the end-to-end congestion state of the network,
but only a part of it. In these cases, the slow-start behavior after
a timeout can further add to network congestion instead of relieving
it.
In this draft we propose changes to the TCP sender (no change is
needed for TCP receiver) that can be used to solve the problems of
both redundant-retransmission and network congestion after a spurious
timeout. These changes preserve the sanctity of congestion control
principles and are conservative in nature. The proposed
algorithm--called DCLOR--separates congestion control from loss
recovery, and uses the TCP SACK option to achieve this. DCLOR can be
used as a congestion control algorithm (after a spurious timeout) only,
and it can work with other spurious timeout detection mechanisms such
as the Eifel detection scheme.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.