Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 14:16:33 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Terminology for Benchmarking Network-layer Traffic 
                          Control Mechanisms
	Author(s)	: J. Perser, D. Newman et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-06.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 2003-5-2
	
This document describes terminology for the benchmarking of
devices that implement traffic control based on IP precedence or
diff-serv code point criteria.
New terminology is needed because most existing measurements
assume the absence of congestion and only a single per-hop-
behavior. This document introduces several new terms that will
allow measurements to be taken during periods of congestion.
Another key difference from existing terminology is the definition
of measurements as observed on egress as well as ingress of a
device/system under test. Again, the existence of congestion
requires the addition of egress measurements as well as those
taken on ingress; without observing traffic leaving a
device/system it is not possible to say whether traffic-control
mechanisms effectively dealt with congestion.
The principal measurements introduced in this document are vectors
for rate, delay, and jitter, all of which can be observed with or
without congestion of the DUT/SUT.
This document describes only those terms relevant to measuring
behavior of a device or a group of devices using one of these two
mechanisms. End-to-end and service-level measurements are beyond
the scope of this document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.