Subject: Protocol Action: Textual Conventions for IPv6 Flow Label to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:31:56 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Textual Conventions for
IPv6 Flow Label' <draft-ietf-ops-ipv6-flowlabel-01.txt> as a
Proposed Standard. This document is not the product of an IETF
Working Group, but has been reviewed in the IETF. The IESG contact
persons are Randy Bush and Bert Wijnen.
 
Technical Summary
 
    This document contains a MIB module that defines textual conventions
    to represent the commonly used IPv6 Flow Label. The intent is that
    these textual conventions (TCs) will be imported and used in MIB
    modules that might otherwise define their own representations.

Working Group Summary
 
    Several WGs have defined standards-track MIB modules that define
    objects to represent an IPv6 Flow Label (sometimes refered to as
    Flow ID) and IPv6 Flow Label filters. Unfortunately the result
    has been a set of different definitions for the same piece of
    management information. This may lead to confusion and unneeded
    complexity. This document was produced within the Operations and
    Management area to provide a few common TCs for future use.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    This document is an individual submission from within the
    Operations and Management area. It was reviewed and discussed on
    various WG mailing lists (e.g. [email-masked], diffserv, rap).
    It also had a 4-week IETF Last Call. It has been further
    reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush.