Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kempf-abk-nd-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 09:26:13 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Securing IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Using Address Based 
                          Keys (ABKs)
	Author(s)	: J. Kempf et al.
	Filename	: draft-kempf-abk-nd-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2003-5-7
	
When an IPv6 node receives a Router Advertisement, how does it 
know that the node which sent the advertisement is authorized to 
announce that it routes the prefix? When an IPv6 node receives a 
Neighbor Advertisement message, how does it know that the node 
sending the message is, in fact, authorized to claim the binding? 
The answer is, in the absence of a preconfigured IPsec security 
association among the nodes on the link and the routers, they 
don't. In this draft, a lightweight protocol is described for 
securing the signaling involved in IPv6 Neighbor Discovery. The 
protocol allows a node receiving a Router Advertisement or a 
Neighbor Advertisement to have the confidence that the message was 
authorized by the legitimate owner of the address or prefix being 
advertised without requiring a preconfigured IPsec security 
association. A certain degree of infrastructural support is 
required, but not any more than is currently common for public 
access IP networks. The protocol is based on some results in 
identity based cryptosystems that allow a publicly known 
identifier to function as a public key.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kempf-abk-nd-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kempf-abk-nd-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kempf-abk-nd-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.