Subject: Protocol Action: Delegation of E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:39:09 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Delegation of 
E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA' <draft-ymbk-6bone-arpa-delegation-01.txt> as a BCP.

This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF 
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Erik
Nordmark.

Technical Summary
   
The 6bone, whose address space was allocated by RFC 2471, has
provided a network for IPv6 experimentation for numerous purposes
for seven years. Up to the present time, reverse lookups for 6bone
addresses in the DNS have been accomplished through IP6.INT. It is
now important that the thousands of 6bone users be able to update
their IPv6 software to use IP6.ARPA as defined in RFC 3152.

Although the 6bone has a limited life, and a phaseout plan is being
discussed at the IETF at this time, there is likely to be 2.5 to
3.5 more years of operation. During this remaining 6bone lifetime
IP6.ARPA reverse lookup services for the 3ffe::/16 address space
are required. This document requests that the IANA delegate the
E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA domain to the 6bone as will be described in
instructions to be provided by the IAB.
   
Working Group Summary
   
This was not a WG document, but has been discussed on various
mailing lists (e.g., 6bone, v6ops, dnsops). No issues were raised
during the IETF Last Call.
   
Protocol Quality
   
This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.