Subject: Protocol Action: IANA Considerations for RADIUS to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 17:38:53 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IANA Considerations for
RADIUS' <draft-aboba-radius-iana-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Randy Bush and Bert Wijnen.

 Technical Summary
   
   This document provides guidance to the Internet Assigned Numbers
   Authority, IANA, regarding registration of values related to the
   Remote Authentication Dial In User Service, RADIUS, defined in
   RFC2865.

   There are three name spaces in RADIUS that require registration:
   Packet Type Codes, Attribute Types, and Attribute Values (for
   certain Attributes). 

   The document also reserves Packet Type Codes that are or have been
   in use on the Internet. The document creates no new IANA
   registries, as the RADIUS registry was created by RFC2865.

   Note that RADIUS is not intended as a general-purpose protocol,
   and this document makes clear that allocations should not be made
   for purposes unrelated to Authentication, Authorization or
   Accounting.
   
 Working Group Summary
   
   As this document is not the product of an IETF working group,
   there was a four week IETF last call. There was some discussion
   and there were a few differing views, one in particular. The
   document was subsequently revised to take the comments into
   account as much as possible.
   
 Protocol Quality
   
   This document was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush and many
   others.