Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rosen-ppvpn-l2-signaling-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 07:14:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Provisioning Models and Endpoint Identifiers in L2VPN 
                          Signaling
	Author(s)	: E. Rosen
	Filename	: draft-rosen-ppvpn-l2-signaling-03.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2003-5-6
	
[PWE3-CONTROL] specifies a 'signaling protocol' which uses extensions
of LDP [RFC 3036] to set up and maintain pseudowires [PWE3-FR, PWE3-
ARCH].  Like any protocol which sets up connections, the signaling
protocol provides a method by which each endpoint can identify the
other.  [L2VPN-FW] describes a number of different ways in which sets
of pseudowires may be combined together into 'Provider Provisioned
Layer 2 VPNs' (L2 PPVPNs, or L2VPNs), resulting in a number of
different kinds of L2VPN.  Different kinds of L2VPN may have
different 'provisioning models', i.e., different models for what
information needs to be configured in what entities. Once configured,
the provisioning information is distributed by a 'discovery process',
and once the information is discovered, the signaling protocol is
automatically invoked to set up the required pseudowires.  The
semantics of the endpoint identifiers which the signaling protocol
uses for a particular type of L2VPN are determined by the
provisioning model.  This document specifies a number of PPVPN
provisioning models, and specifies the semantic structure of the
endpoint identifiers required. It further specifies how the endpoint
identifiers are carried in the 'Generalized Identifier FEC' of
[PWE3-CONTROL].  It is believed that the specified identifiers can
also be carried within the L2TP signaling protocol, though this is
currently not specified.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-ppvpn-l2-signaling-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rosen-ppvpn-l2-signaling-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosen-ppvpn-l2-signaling-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.