Subject: Document Action: RADIUS Support For Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:45:38 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RADIUS Support For Extensible 
Authentication Protocol (EAP)' <draft-aboba-radius-rfc2869bis-22.txt> 
as an Informational RFC. 

This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF 
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Randy Bush and Bert Wijnen.

Technical Summary
   
This specification describes RADIUS attributes supporting the Extensible
Authentication Protocol (EAP): EAP-Message and Message-Authenticator.
These attributes now have extensive field experience, and so the purpose
of this document is to provide clarification and resolve interoperability
issues.

As noted in [RFC2865], a Network Access Server (NAS) that does not
implement a given service MUST NOT implement the RADIUS attributes for
that service. This implies that a NAS that is unable to offer EAP service
MUST NOT implement the RADIUS attributes for EAP. A NAS MUST treat a
RADIUS Access-Accept requesting an unavailable service as an Access-Reject
instead.

All attributes are comprised of variable length Type-Length-Value 3-
tuples. New attribute values can be added without disturbing existing
implementations of the protocol.

This document updates RFC 2869.
   
Working Group Summary
   
As this document was not the product of an IETF working group, there
was no discussion in the origin WG. But the document was brought
to the attention of all relevant WGs and a four-week IETF-wide last
call was conducted with no negative comments.
   
Protocol Quality
   
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush.