Subject: Protocol Action: The AES Cipher Algorithms and Their Use With IPsec to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 16:34:45 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The AES Cipher Algorithm
and Its Use With IPsec' <draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-cbc-04.txt> as a
Proposed Standard. This document is the product of the IP Security
Working Group (IPSEC).

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Steven Bellovin.

 Technical Summary

       Since IPsec was first developed, the U.S. National Institute of
       Standards and Technology (NIST) has completed a process for selecting
       the new Advanced Encryption Standard (AES). AES uses longer keys
       than the original Data Encryption Standard (DES) that is used by IPsec
       for confidentiality. AES also uses a larger encryption block size.

       This document describes the use of the AES Cipher Algorithm in Cipher
       Block Chaining (CBC) mode as a confidentiality mechanism within the
       context of the IPsec Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP) protocol.

 Working Group Summary

       The Working Group came to consensus on this document.

 Protocol Quality

       This document was reviewed by Jeffrey I. Schiller for the IESG.