Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-shepler-nfsv4-dirnotify-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 07:13:39 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: NFS version 4 Directory Notifications
	Author(s)	: S. Shepler
	Filename	: draft-shepler-nfsv4-dirnotify-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2003-5-29
	
NFSv4 [RFC3530] contains within it a mechanism for the delegation of
file data to a client.  The intent of this feature is to reduce the
necessary interaction between a client and server such that overall
performance is improved.  The same type of mechanism does not exist
for directory contents and to determine validity of cached directory
contents an NFSv4 client is left with polling the server to determine
if updates have occurred.
The proposal described here is for an NFSv4 minor version that would
allow a client to register interest in a directory and to receive a
callback RPC upon update of that directory.  This type of interaction
would reduce or eliminate the polling that occurs between client and
server and improve scalability of the server's resources along with
improved performance for the client's directory content caching.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shepler-nfsv4-dirnotify-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-shepler-nfsv4-dirnotify-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-shepler-nfsv4-dirnotify-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.