Subject: Protocol Action: Printer MIB v2 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:33:11 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Printer MIB v2'
<draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-15.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Ted Hardie.
 
Technical Summary
 
    This document provides definitions of models and manageable objects
    for printing environments. The objects included in this MIB apply to
    physical, as well as logical entities within a printing device. This
    document obsoletes RFC 1759.

    The task of managing the production of printed documents can be divided
    into two overlapping pieces, the management of printing and the
    management of the printer. Printing encompasses the entire process of
    producing a printed document from generation of the file to be
    printed, selection of a printer, choosing printing properties,
    routing, queuing, resource management, scheduling, and final printing
    including notifying the user. Most of the printing process is
    outside the scope of the model presented here; only the management of
    the printer itself is covered in this document.
 
Working Group Summary
 
    This document was reviewed by the Internet Print Protocol Working Group
    but is not a product of that group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    Bert Wijnen and Ned Freed reviewed the document for the IESG.