Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-elwell-sipping-identity-interworking-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 07:19:48 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: User identification in a SIP/QSIG environment
	Author(s)	: J. Elwell
	Filename	: draft-elwell-sipping-identity-interworking-00.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 2003-5-28
	
This document examines means of identifying or naming users of 
telephony services within an enterprise. Numeric names (numbers) are 
used in traditional Private Integrated Services Networks (PISNs) 
using QSIG as the network signalling protocol. They are also used for 
external communication, e.g., with a public Integrated Services 
Digital Network (ISDN). Names need not be numeric in Internet 
Protocol (IP) networks employing signalling protocols such as the 
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). This document therefore looks at 
naming schemes that are appropriate within enterprise IP networks, in 
particular enterprise IP networks employing SIP as the signalling 
protocol. It also investigates naming schemes that are appropriate in 
a mixed QSIG/SIP enterprise network and the treatment of names at an 
interworking point. It details the use of names not only for 
selecting a user to participate in a call, but also as a means of 
identifying a user in a call to other users in that call. ENUM and 
private ENUM-like services are also examined.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elwell-sipping-identity-interworking-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-elwell-sipping-identity-interworking-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-elwell-sipping-identity-interworking-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.