Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-schwarz-megaco-relay-services-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 08:00:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Voiceband Data Transport Services in Megaco/H.248 
                          Networks
	Author(s)	: A. Schwarz
	Filename	: draft-schwarz-megaco-relay-services-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2003-5-12
	
This document describes the terminology and gives a network model for
different strategies concerning Voiceband Data (VBD) transport services.
The purpose of this effort is to set the reference space for describing
and evaluating Megaco/H.248 signaling procedures. Primary scope are
voiceband data services, typically inherent part in voice-over-packet
networks (e.g., like Internet Telephony).
Motivation:
VBD calls typically start out as a voice call. The modems on the VBD
devices at the Termination detect the switch to VBD (like facsimile) and
fax modem or data modem transmission begins. With the development of
Voice over IP, many CODECs have been developed which are optimized for
the transmission and reception of voice. In creating these CODECs, VBD
transport may not reliably be used over the same transmission channel.
In an effort to optimize the transmission of VBD, specialized protocols
(e.g., T.38, or V.150) have been developed to provide a more reliable
transport, minimize bandwidth usage, etc.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schwarz-megaco-relay-services-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-schwarz-megaco-relay-services-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-schwarz-megaco-relay-services-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.