Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-canessa-fcs-api-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:51:48 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Fixed Content Storage (FCS) Application Programming 
                          Interface (API)
	Author(s)	: J. Canessa
	Filename	: draft-canessa-fcs-api-00.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2003-5-21
	
During the past twelve months there has been interest in Fixed Content 
Storage servers.  Vendors have been introducing offerings that use 
proprietary API calls.  This is causing delay in acceptance.  By using 
a set of standard API calls software developers, vendors and end-users 
would benefit.

This document provides background on the need for an API.  It defines 
a simple and reduced yet robust set of Application Programming 
Interface (API) calls to be supported by implementations of FCS 
servers.

Store, query and retrieve operations are described in detail.  The 
concept, description and format of a Global Unique Identifier (GUID) 
are provided.  A GUID serves as a unique handle to each object stored 
by a FCS server.  The list of the set of API calls is defined.  A 
basic set of data structures and support functions is presented.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-canessa-fcs-api-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-canessa-fcs-api-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-canessa-fcs-api-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.