Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:14:49 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Embedding the Address of RP in IPv6 Multicast Address
	Author(s)	: P. Savola, B. Haberman
	Filename	: draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-03.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2003-5-22
	
As has been noticed, there is exists a huge deployment problem with
global, interdomain IPv6 multicast: Protocol Independent Multicast -
Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) Rendezvous Points (RPs) have no way of
communicating the information about multicast sources to other
multicast domains, as there is no Multicast Source Discovery Protocol
(MSDP), and the whole interdomain Any Source Multicast model is
rendered unusable; SSM avoids these problems.  This memo outlines a
way to embed the address of the RP in the multicast address, solving
the interdomain multicast problem. The problem is three-fold: specify
an address format, adjust the operational procedures and
configuration if necessary, and modify PIM-SM implementations of
those who want to join or send to a group (Designated Routers) or
provide one (Rendezvous Points).  In consequence, there would be no
need for interdomain MSDP, and even intra-domain RP configuration
could be simplified.  This memo updatres RFC 3306.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-savola-mboned-mcast-rpaddr-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.