Subject: RFC 3537 on Wrapping a Hashed Message Authentication Code (HMAC) key with a Triple-Data Encryption Standard (DES) Key or an Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) Key

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:07:24 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3537

        Title:      Wrapping a Hashed Message Authentication Code
                    (HMAC) key with a Triple-Data Encryption Standard
                    (DES) Key or an Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)
                    Key
        Author(s):  J. Schaad, R. Housley
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       May 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 16885
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-smime-hmac-key-wrap-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3537.txt

This document defines two methods for wrapping an HMAC (Hashed Message
Authentication Code) key.  The first method defined uses a Triple DES
(Data Encryption Standard) key to encrypt the HMAC key.  The second
method defined uses an AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) key to
encrypt the HMAC key.  One place that such an algorithm is used is for
the Authenticated Data type in CMS (Cryptographic Message Syntax).

This document is a product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of
the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.