Subject: Protocol Action: Extensible Provisioning Protocol to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 10:50:20 -0400

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Proposed
Standards:

 o Extensible Provisioning Protocol
	<draft-ietf-provreg-epp-09.txt> 
 o Extensible Provisioning Protocol Domain Name Mapping
	<draft-ietf-provreg-epp-domain-07.txt>
 o Extensible Provisioning Protocol Host Mapping
	<draft-ietf-provreg-epp-host-07.txt> 
 o Extensible Provisioning Protocol Contact Mapping
	<draft-ietf-provreg-epp-contact-07.txt>
 o Extensible Provisioning Protocol Transport Over TCP
	<draft-ietf-provreg-epp-tcp-06.txt>

These documents are the product of the Provisioning Registry Protocol
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
   
These documents describes an application layer client-server protocol 
for the provisioning and management of objects stored in a shared 
central repository. Specified in XML, the protocol defines generic 
object management operations and an extensible framework that maps 
protocol operations to objects. Further, object definitions of a few 
objects needed for domain name registration and a binding to TCP as 
transport protocl is provided.

Working Group Summary
   
There has been discussions in the wg whether the binding to TCP should 
be the only binding, whether other bindings like SMTP and Beep is 
"better" or "required" and during last call whether the protcol 
itself should be asynchronous or not.

Result of these discussions ended up with TCP as one extension 
mechanism of many possible ones (SMTP and Beep bindings in separate 
documents), and that the protocol itself should be synchronous. This 
last point make the protocol simpler, but will possibly make some 
bindings more complicated.

The changes had concensus in the working group, and resulted in the 
version of the documents which are now approved.

Protocol Quality
   
The specification has been reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom for the IESG.