Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rosenberg-mmusic-rtp-denialofservice-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:14:16 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Real Time Transport Protocol (RTP) Denial of 
                          Service (Dos) Attack and its Prevention(
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-rosenberg-mmusic-rtp-denialofservice-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2003-6-26
	
The Real Time Transport Protocol (RTP) provides unreliable transport
of real time media from a sender to one or more recipients. RTP
sessions are typically set up through signaling protocols such as the
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) or the Real Time Streaming Protocol
(RTSP). When RTP is set up with these protocols, a potential Denial
of Service (DoS) attack is introduced. This attack allows an attacker
to cause a flood of RTP packets to be sent towards a target. We
describe this attack, and also show how it is effectively prevented
using Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE), first introduced
as a means of handling Network Address Translator (NAT) traversal.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-mmusic-rtp-denialofservice-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rosenberg-mmusic-rtp-denialofservice-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-mmusic-rtp-denialofservice-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.