Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-torvinen-http-digest-aka-v2-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:56:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)  Digest 
                          Authentication Using Authentication and Key Agreement 
                          (AKA) Version-2
	Author(s)	: V. Torvinen, J. Arkko
	Filename	: draft-torvinen-http-digest-aka-v2-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2003-6-16
	
HTTP Digest is known to be vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks,
even when run inside TLS, if the same passwords are used for
authentication in some other context without TLS. This is a general
problem that affects not just HTTP digest but also other IETF
protocols. However, for a class of strong algorithms the attack is
avoidable. This document defines version 2 of the HTTP Digest AKA
algorithm. Unlike previous versions of HTTP Digest such as MD5 or
AKAv1, this algorithm is immune to the man-in-the-middle attack.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-torvinen-http-digest-aka-v2-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-torvinen-http-digest-aka-v2-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-torvinen-http-digest-aka-v2-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.