Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-perlman-zerouter-rbridge-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:55:27 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Design for a Routing Bridge
	Author(s)	: R. Perlman, A. Williams
	Filename	: draft-perlman-zerouter-rbridge-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2003-6-13
	
This design provides the ability to have an entire campus, with
multiple physical links, look to IP like a single subnet.  This
capability is often provided today with bridges.  Bridges have the
advantage of being plug-and-play.  However, they have disadvantages:
routing is confined to a spanning tree, the header on which the
spanning tree forwards has no hop count, spanning tree forwarding in
the presence of loops spawns exponential copies of packets, nodes can
have only a single point of attachment, and the spanning tree, in
order to avoid temporary loops, is slow to start forwarding on new
ports.  The design in this paper avoids those disadvantages of
bridges.  The basic design is layer 3-independent, and is a design
for bridging with a shortest-path routing algorithm (instead of
spanning tree paths), and with more robust forwarding.  Then the
design is extended to provide IP-specific optimizations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-perlman-zerouter-rbridge-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-perlman-zerouter-rbridge-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-perlman-zerouter-rbridge-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.