Subject: Protocol Action: Coexistence between Version 1, Version 2, and Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:27:53 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Coexistence between
Version 1, Version 2, and Version 3 of the Internet-standard
Network Management Framework' <draft-ietf-snmpv3-coex-v2-04.txt> as
a BCP. This document is the product of the SNMP Version 3 Working
Group. The IESG contact people are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary

  This document describes coexistence between version 3 of the
  Internet-standard Network Management Framework, SNMPv3, version 2
  of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework SNMPv2, and
  the original Internet-standard Network Management Framework
  SNMPv1. It also describes how to convert MIB modules from SMIv1
  format to SMIv2 format. This document obsoletes RFC 2576.
 
Working Group Summary
 
  There was WG consensus to publish this document as BCP.
 
Protocol Quality
 
  The document has been reviewed for te IESG by Bert Wijnen and
  Randy Bush.

RFC-Editor note:

 On page 39, pls make the following change:
 OLD:

       Changed the name of 'snmpCommunityGroup' to a name
       conflict with the SNMPv2-MIB.
 NEW:
       Changed the name of 'snmpCommunityGroup' to
       snmpCommunityTableGroup to avoid a name conflict
       with the SNMPv2-MIB.

 On page 51, last 3 lines of 2nd para of sect 8, pls change:

 OLD:
of using authentication and privacy. Careful configuration of
proxies is required to address such situations. One approach to deal
with such situations might be to use an encrypted tunnel.

 NEW:
of using authentication and privacy (also known as confidentiality).
Careful configuration of proxies is required to address such
situations. One approach to deal with such situations might be to
use an encrypted tunnel.