Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: IP Telephony (iptel)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:25:53 -0400

IP Telephony (iptel) Working Group in the Transport Area of the IETF 
has been rechartered. For additional information, contact the Area Directors 
or the Working Group Chairs.

 IP Telephony (iptel)
 --------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group

 Chair(s):

 Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
 Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

 Transport Area Director(s):

 Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
 Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

 Transport Area Advisor:

 Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:

 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: [email-masked]
 In Body: put subscribe in subject
 Archive:
 www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/iptel/current/maillist.html

 Description of Working Group:

 The focus of the IP Telephony (iptel) group is on the problems related to
 naming and routing for Voice over IP (VoIP) protocols.

 Naming is accomplished through the use of the tel URI, which specifies a URI
 for telephone numbers. The tel URI was originally defined in RFC 2806, which
 was developed outside of any IETF working group. The iptel working group is
 responsible for updating the specification based on extensive experience
 with the tel URI. It is chartered to develop any extensions to the tel URI,
 such as support for number portability indicators and trunk groups.

 Routing protocols for VoIP allow intermediaries, such as SIP proxies and
 H.323 gatekeepers, to make call routing decisions based on reachability
 information learned from peer elements. The iptel group has already defined
 a protocol, Telephony Routing over IP (TRIP), RFC 3219, which solves one
 aspect of this problem. Specifically, it handles the case where calls need
 to be routed between domains. It allows for the exchange of routing
 information between these providers, so that policies can be applied to the
 resulting data to create a forwarding information base.

 However, this protocol does not address all the scenarios of route
 information exchange between servers. One important scenario is the
 propagation of routing information between gateways and the signaling
 servers in front of them. This is also known as "gateway registration". It
 allows the signaling server to make a routing decision about which gateway
 to use based on dynamic information about the gateway resources. Vendors
 have deployed proprietary solutions for this communications interface. A
 standard is needed. The group will generate a standards track document that
 defines a protocol (possibly based on TRIP) for this interface.

 TRIP and the gateway registration protocol are orthogonal to the
 DNS-based mechanisms specified in ENUM and RFC 3264. Those mechanisms
 are used to translate a URI, representing a name, to an address. If
 that address is a phone number in the telephone network, trip and
 tgrep can be used to assist in determining the right route (through
 various gateways) to that number.

 The group will also generate a MIB document for TRIP.

 Note that the group is not working on elevating TRIP to Draft Standard at
 this time.

 Deliverables:

 1. A proposed standard specification for gateway to server route exchange.

 2. A proposed standard TRIP MIB specification, based heavily on the existing
 BGP-4 MIB documents.

 3. A standards track update to the tel URI.

 4. Standards track extensions to the tel URI for PSTN interoperability, such
 as number portability and trunk group identification.

 Goals and Milestones:

 Done Submit gateway location framework document to IESG for consideration
 as an RFC.

 Done Submit call processing syntax framework document to IESG for
 consideration as an RFC.

 Done Submit call processing syntax document to IESG for consideration as
 a Proposed Standard.

 Done Submit gateway location protocol document to IESG for consideration
 as an RFC.

 Done TRIP MIB Document submitted to IESG for consideration as proposed
 standard

 June 03 Gateway to Server Route Exchange document submitted to IESG for
 consideration as proposed standard.

 July 03 Tel URI revisions submitted to IESG

 Sept 03 Number portability extensions submitted to IESG for consideration
 as proposed standard.

 Nov 03 Consider closing