Subject: Protocol Action: Use of the AES Encryption Algorithm in CMS to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:09:17 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Use of the AES Encryption 
 Algorithm in CMS' <draft-ietf-smime-aes-alg-07.txt> as a Proposed 
 Standard. This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail Security 
 Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Steven Bellovin and
 Russ Housley.

 Technical Summary
   
   This specification describes how to use the Advanced Encryption
   Standard (AES) with the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS).
   It gives the ASN.1 necessary when AES is used with each
   recipient's public RSA key, with a Diffie-Hellman key exchange,
   with a previously distributed symmetric key, and with a
   key derived from a password.
   
 Working Group Summary
   
   There was no significant disagreement.
   
 Protocol Quality
   
   This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Steve Bellovin.