Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dfncis-netnews-admin-sys-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:30:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Netnews Administration System (NAS)
	Author(s)	: P. Grau, V. Heinau, H. Schlichting
	Filename	: draft-dfncis-netnews-admin-sys-06.txt
	Pages		: 49
	Date		: 2003-6-18
	
The Netnews Administration System (NAS) is a	framework to simplify
the administration and usage	of network news	(also known as Netnews)
on the Internet. Data for the administration	of newsgroups and
hierarchies are kept	in a distributed hierarchical database and are
available through a client-server-protocol.
The database	is accessible by news servers and news administrators as
well	as by news readers. News servers can update their configuration
automatically; administrators are able to get the data manually. News
reader programs are able to get certain information from an NAS
server, automatically or at a user's	discretion, to provide detailed
information about groups and	hierarchies to the user.
NAS is usable in coexistence	with the current, established process of
control messages; an	unwanted interference is impossible.
Furthermore,	NAS is able to reflect the somewhat chaotic structure of
Usenet in a hierarchical database. NAS can be used without
modification	of existing news relay,	news server or news reader
software, however, some tasks will be better	accomplished with NAS
compliant software.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dfncis-netnews-admin-sys-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dfncis-netnews-admin-sys-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dfncis-netnews-admin-sys-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.