Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-metz-switched-atm-l2vpn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:31:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Switched ATM L2VPN
	Author(s)	: C. Metz et al.
	Filename	: draft-metz-switched-atm-l2vpn-00.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 2003-6-18
	
Many providers operate ATM networks that support a suite of network 
services. These networks employ ATM signaling and routing protocols to 
expedite connection setup and recovery. Over time these providers will 
migrate all or portions of their ATM infrastructure and services to an 
IP/MPLS-based Packet Switched Network (PSN) thus leading to the 
creation of ATM L2VPNs. This document describes a solution that 
supports dynamic signaling and routing of point-to-point switched ATM 
connections (i.e. VP or VC) across an IP/MPLS network. It is based on 
the L2VPN (VPWS) architecture which employs an {attachment circuit, PE, 
pseudo-wire, PE, attachment circuit} tuple to define a distinct point-
to-point L2 connection between two end-points within the VPN [PPVPN 
L2]. The presumption is that the L2 connection is a switched ATM VC or 
VP and that one or both ACs and the PW are established in real-time 
using routing and signaling protocol machinery native to the ATM and 
IP/MPLS networks. We call this a switched ATM L2VPN. 
The key component of a switched ATM L2VPN is a PWE3 native service 
processing (NSP) function on the PE that serves as an interworking 
gateway between native ATM and IP/MPLS signaling and routing protocols. 
The NSP learns of ATM prefixes reachable through the local attachment 
circuits. The ATM prefixes are exchanged with a co-resident MP-BGP 
instance for automatic distribution and discovery of ATM reachability 
to participating PEs and their directly-attached ATM networks. The NSP 
is capable of processing the necessary native ATM signaling messages 
for real-time connection management. The NSP interacts with the co-
resident PWE3 signaling machinery for concurrent PW connection 
management. Extensions to the PWE3 signaling protocol are required to 
support dynamic single-sided provisioning and to transport ATM 
signaling parameters between the NSPs for connection management 
purposes. Extensions to the MP-BGP protocol are needed distribute ATM 
prefixes and associated next hop information between PEs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-metz-switched-atm-l2vpn-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-metz-switched-atm-l2vpn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-metz-switched-atm-l2vpn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.