Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions (simple)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:18:02 -0400

SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions (simple) Working Group  
in the Applications Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information,
contact the Area Directors or the Working Group Chairs.

SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Leveraging Extensions (simple)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chair(s):
Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Director(s):
Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:
Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion:[email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/simple/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

This working group focuses on the application of the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP, RFC 3261) to the suite of services collectively known as instant
messaging and presence (IMP). The IETF has committed to producing an
interoperable standard for these services compliant to the requirements for IM
outlined in RFC 2779 (including the security and privacy requirements there)
and in the Common Presence and Instant Messaging (CPIM) specification,
developed within the IMPP working group. As the most common services for which
SIP is used share quite a bit in common with IMP, the adaptation of SIP to IMP
seems a natural choice given the widespread support for (and relative maturity
of) the SIP standard.

The primary work of this group will be to generate:

1. A proposed standard SIP extension documenting the transport of Instant
Messages in SIP, compliant to the requirements for IM outlined in RFC 2779,
CPIM and in BCP 41 (so that the transport implications of the extension with
respect to network congestion are considered in the design).

2. A proposed standard SIP event package and any related protocol mechanisms
used to support presence, compliant to the requirements for presence outlined
in RFC 2779 and CPIM.

3. An architecture for the implementation of a traditional buddylist-based
instant messaging and presence application with SIP. Included might be new
mechanisms for message confirmation delivery, indications for when a party is
in the process of typing a message, secure buddylist manipulation operations,
and the extension of the CPIM presence format to describe typical IM states.
Each of these mechanisms will be consistent with a SIP-based architecture, as
well as meeting the constraints otherwise described in this charter.

All SIMPLE proposals fulfilling these goals must document the mappings of their
operation to CPIM. Any SIP extensions proposed in the course of this
development will, after a last call process, be transferred to the SIP WG for
consideration as formal SIP extensions.

The working group will work within the framework for presence and IM described
in RFC 2778. The extensions it defines must also be compliant with the SIP
processes for extensions. The group cannot modify baseline SIP behavior or
define a new version of SIP for IM and presence. If the group determines that
any capabilities requiring an extension to SIP are needed, the group will seek
to define such extensions within the SIP working group, and then use them here.

The working group will operate in close cooperation with the IMPP working
group, which will be completing CPIM in parallel. The working group will also
cooperate with any other groups defined to standardize other presence and IM
systems, to ensure maximum sharing of information and avoid reinvention of the
wheel. The working group will cooperate with the SIP working group, soliciting
reviews to ensure its extensions meet SIPs requirements. The working group will
also collaborate with the SIP WG to ensure consistent operation of the
SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY methods across the other applications being defined for
its use.

Goals and Milestones:

DONE Submission of event package for presence to IESG for publication as
     Proposed Standard

DONE Submission of watcher information drafts to IESG for publication as
     Proposed Standards

May 03 Submission of proposed event list mechanism to the SIP working group.

Jun 03 Submission of requirements for event publishing to the IESG for
       publication as Proposed Standard

Jun 03 Submission of proposed mechanism for event publishing to the SIP
       working group.

Jun 03 Submission of presencelist auth/modify requirements draft to IESG for
       publication as Informational

Jun 03 Submission of requirements for presence partial notification and
       filtering to the IESG for publication as Informational

Jul 03 Submission of CPIM mapping draft to IESG for publication as
       Informational

Jul 03 Submission of instant messaging session drafts to IESG for
       publication as Proposed Standards

Jul 03 Submission of SIMPLE PIDF profile to IESG for publication as Proposed
       Standard

Jul 03 Submission of advanced messaging requirements draft to IESG for
       publication as Informational

Jul 03 Submission of presencelist auth/modify mechanism drafts to IESG for
       publication as Proposed Standard

Aug 03 Submission of proposed mechnisms meeting the advanced messaging
       requirements to the IESG or appropriate working group

Sep 03 Submission of Presence/IM System Architecture draft to IESG for
       publication as Informational