Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:29:50 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for IPv4 (DHCPv4) 
                          Threat Analysis
	Author(s)	: R. Hibbs et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2003-6-18
	
DHCPv4 (RFC 2131) is a stable, widely used protocol for configuration
of host systems in a TCP/IPv4 network.  It did not provide for
authentication of clients and servers, nor did it provide for data
confidentiality.  This is reflected in the original 'Security
Considerations' section of RFC 2131, which identifies a few threats
and leaves development of any defenses against those threats to
future work.  Beginning in about 1995 DHCP security began to attract
attention from the Internet community, eventually resulting in the
publication of RFC 3118 in 2001.  Although RFC 3118 was a mandatory
prerequisite for the DHCPv4 Reconfigure Extension, RFC 3203, it has
had no known usage by any commercial or private implementation since
its adoption.  The DHC Working Group has adopted a work item for 2003
to review and modify or replace RFC 3118 to afford a workable, easily
deployed security mechanism for DHCPv4.  This memo provides a
comprehensive threat analysis of the Dynamic Host Configuration
Protocol for use both as RFC 2131 advances from Draft Standard to
Full Standard and to support our chartered work improving the
acceptance and deployment of RFC 3118.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-v4-threat-analysis-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.