Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-murphy-iser-telnet-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:27:57 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: iSeries Telnet Enhancements
	Author(s)	: T. Murphy et al.
	Filename	: draft-murphy-iser-telnet-00.txt
	Pages		: 44
	Date		: 2003-6-20
	
This draft describes the interface to the IBM iSeries Telnet server
that allows client Telnet to request a Telnet terminal or printer
session using a specific device name.  If a requested device name is
not available, a method to retry the request using a new device name
is described.  Methods to request specific Telnet session settings
and auto-signon function are also described.
By allowing a Telnet client to select the device name, the iSeries
Telnet server opens the door for applications to set and/or extract
useful information about the Telnet client.  Some possibilities are
1) selecting a customized device name associated with a particular
user profile name for National Language Support or subsystem routing,
2) connecting PC and network printers as clients and 3) auto-signon
using clear-text, DES/SHA encrypted passphrase exchange.
Applications may need to use system API's on the iSeries in order to
xtract Telnet session settings from the device name description.
Refer to the Retrieve Device Description (QDCRDEVD) API described in
the iSeries System API book [3] on how to extract information using
the DEVD0600 and DEVD1100 templates.
This draft describes how the IBM iSeries Telnet server supports Work
Station Function (WSF) printers using iSeries Display Station Pass-
Through.  A response code is returned by the Telnet server to
indicate success or failure of the WSF printer session.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murphy-iser-telnet-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-murphy-iser-telnet-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-murphy-iser-telnet-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.