Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-moskowitz-hip-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:33:34 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Host Identity Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Moskowitz, P. Nikander, P. Jokela
	Filename	: draft-moskowitz-hip-07.txt
	Pages		: 63
	Date		: 2003-6-19
	
This memo specifies the details of the Host Identity Protocol (HIP).
The overall description of protocol and the underlying architectural
thinking is available in the separate HIP architecture specification.
The Host Identity Protocol is used to establish a rapid
authentication between two hosts and to provide continuity of
communications between those hosts independent of the networking
layer.
The various forms of the Host Identity (HI), Host Identity Tag (HIT),
and Local Scope Identifier (LSI), are covered in detail.  It is
described how they are used to support authentication and the
establishment of keying material, which is then used by IPsec
Encapsulated Security payload (ESP) to establish a two-way secured
communication channel between the hosts.  The basic state machine for
HIP provides a HIP compliant host with the resiliency to avoid many
denial-of-service (DoS) attacks.  The basic HIP exchange for two
public hosts shows the actual packet flow.  Other HIP exchanges,
including those that work across NATs are covered elsewhere.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moskowitz-hip-07.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-moskowitz-hip-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-moskowitz-hip-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.