Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:03:08 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Address Resolution for IP datagrams over MPEG-2 
                          networks
	Author(s)	: G. Fairhurst, M. Montpetit
	Filename	: draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2003-6-25
	
This document describes mechanisms to bind IPv4/IPv6 addresses with 
MPEG-2 Transport Streams (TS). Protocols are required to signal 
these addresses to the link receivers and transmitters, known as 
Address Resolution, or Neighbour Discovery. Although this is often 
associated with Ethernet [RFC803], these processes are essential to 
the operation of any L2 network. MPEG-2 transmission networks often 
utilize broadcast media (e.g., satellite and cable) where the 
mapping may take into account issues related to network operations 
and traffic engineering. 
In MPEG-2 transmission networks, an IP address must be associated 
with a Packet ID (PID) and specific transmission multiplex. Address 
resolution complements the higher layer resource discovery tools 
that are used to advertise IP sessions, such as SDP, and IMG. In 
this document the different mechanisms used for address resolution 
are reviewed and guidelines for future developments of efficient 
schemes are given.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fair-ipdvb-ar-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.