Subject: stepping down

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:26:11 -0400

I've chosen to step down from the IESG early - my term would normally
 end at the spring IETF 2004.

 This was not an easy decision to make, especially since I really
 enjoy the learning aspects - being exposed to a much wider range
 of issues than I would otherwise - as well as being able to help and guide
 working groups and WG chairs.

 However, I feel that over the last 6 months or so I've become less and
 less able to make forward progress, with even my simple tasks taking months
 to complete. Due to the workload I've also lost the ability to make
 significant contributions to the IETF on technical issues that I think are
 quite important for the future of the Internet, which I find frustrating.

 Considering this, I feel that the community would be better served by
 having the opportunity to find someone else to hold the AD post for the
 remainder of my term.

 The only realistic alternative would have been to sacrifice more of
 nights and weekends to try to make some forward progress, but I'd prefer
 to not encroach further on the time I have for family and friends.

 To make sure there isn't any confusion: this is a personal decision.
 My management at Sun has provided full support for my being on the IESG
 and they would be very willing to continue to do so.

 I'll continue being active in the IETF - being able to spend more time
 on important technical issues.

 Finally I'd like to thank my co-AD Thomas, all of the IESG and IAB members,
 WG chairs, and other participants I've had a pleasure to work with; it's
 been a very rewarding experience and if there were only more hours in a day
 I would have liked to continue.

     Erik