Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-03.txt,.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:52:31 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: State Machines for EAP Peer and Authenticator
	Author(s)	: J. Vollbrecht et al.
	Filename	: draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-03.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 2003-6-17
	
This document describes a set of state machines for EAP Peer, EAP
Authenticator (supporting local, passthrough and backend), for EAP
Passthrough method, and for 'backend adapter' that adapts EAP traffic
carried by an AAA protocol such as RADIUS or Diameter to a Backend
Authenticator. This set of state machines shows how EAP can be
implemented to support deployment in either a Peer/AP or Peer/AP/AAA
Server environmnet. The Peer and Authenticator machines are
illustrative of how the EAP protocol defined in
[I-D.ietf-eap-rfc2284bis]  may be implemented.  The Passtrhough
method and 'backend adapter' illustrate how EAP protocol support
defined in [I-D.aboba-radius-rfc2869bis] may be implemented. Where
there are differences [I-D.ietf-eap-rfc2284bis]/
[I-D.aboba-radius-rfc2869bis] are authoritative.
This document describes a state machine based on an EAP 'Switch'
model. This model includes  events and actions for the interaction
between the EAP Switch and EAP methods. The State Machine and
associated model are informative only. Implementations may achieve
the same results using different methods.
A brief description of the EAP 'Switch' model is given in the
Introduction section.
This document is still a work in progress.  The authors believe it
corresponds to the current state of revisions to the defining
[I-D.ietf-eap-rfc2284bis]/[I-D.aboba-radius-rfc2869bis] documents,
but it has not been vetted by the EAP working group as a whole. An
appendix to this document points out issues the authors believe still
need to be resolved between the documents. The intent is to
synchronize this document with [I-D.ietf-eap-rfc2284bis]   and
[I-D.aboba-radius-rfc2869bis]  revisions when they are released and
then submit it as an RFC.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.