Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-farrel-problem-protocol-icrm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:19:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Observations on Proposing Protocol Enhancements that 
                          Address Stated Requirements but also go Further by 
                          Meeting more General Needs
	Author(s)	: A. Farrel
	Filename	: draft-farrel-problem-protocol-icrm-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2003-6-11
	
Procedures in place and currently being developed within the IETF
encourage the development and agreement of clear requirements before
the new protocols or protocol extensions are accepted as work items.
This does not preclude nor prohibit individuals from engaging in such
protocol work outside of the IETF, but it acknowledges that
acceptance of the work may be subject to proving the requirements
through a requirements document or through deployment and usage
experience. That work within the IETF on a requirements document may
change the underlying assumptions made by protocol developers and
thereby render their work obsolete or risible is a risk taken by all
who spend their time enhancing the set of available protocols without
first agreeing the requirements.
At the same time, some problem statements or requirement documents
are very narrowly scoped to address a very specific need. There is a
risk that the development of a solution to such a precise problem may
be non-extensible and may make the protocol unusable in a wider
context.
This document examines the need to avoid tying new protocol
developments too tightly to the problem statement or requirement
documents. It uses an example from the ITU ASON requirements for
signaling protocols within optical networks to illustrate how
adhering to the requirements statement too zealously may
unnecessarily restrict the applicability of the protocol in a wider
context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-farrel-problem-protocol-icrm-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-farrel-problem-protocol-icrm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-farrel-problem-protocol-icrm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.