Subject: Protocol Action: NOPEER community for BGP route scope control to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:24:35 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'NOPEER community for BGP
route scope control' <draft-ietf-ptomaine-nopeer-03.txt> as a BCP.
This document is the product of the Prefix Taxonomy Ongoing Measurement
& Inter Network Experiment Working Group. The IESG contact persons are
Randy Bush and Bert Wijnen.

 Technical Summary
   
   This document proposes the use of a BGP community to advise BGP
   peers and others on the scope of propagation the originating AS
   intended for a prefix. This proposed well-known advisory
   transitive community is intended to allow an origin AS to specify
   the extent to which it suggests that a specific prefix should be
   externally propagated. In particular this community, termed here
   as NOPEER, allows an origin AS to suggest that a route with this
   attribute need not be advertised across bilateral peer
   connections.
   
 Working Group Summary
   
   There were no technical issues raised in working group discussion
   or working group last call.
   
 Protocol Quality
   
   This document was reviewed for the IESG by Randy Bush.