Subject: WG Review: Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (l3vpn)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:31:08 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The following description
was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only:

 Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (l3vpn)
 -----------------------------------------

 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Chair(s):
       <under discussion>

 Area Director(s):
       Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
       Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

 Area Advisor:
       Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

 Technical Advisor:
       Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:

 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l3vpn
 Archive: https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/l3vpn/current/maillist.html

 Description of Working Group:

 Alex is the routing advisor.

 This working group is responsible for defining and specifying a
 limited number of solutions for supporting provider-provisioned
 Layer-3 (routed) Virtual Private Networks (L3VPNs).

 The WG is responsible for standardization of the following solutions:

       1. BGP/MPLS IP VPNs (based on RFC 2547)
       2. IP VPNs using Virtual Routers
       3. CE-based VPNs using IPSEC

 The following VPN deployment scenarios will be considered by the WG:

       1. Internet-wide: VPN sites attached to arbitratry points in
             the Internet

       2. Single SP/single AS: VPN sites attached to the network of a
             single provider within the scope of a single AS

       3. Single SP/multiple AS'es: VPN sites attached to the network
             of a single provider consisting of multiple AS'es

       4. Cooperating SPs: VPN sites attached to networks of different
             providers that cooperate with each other to provide VPN service

 As part of this effort the WG will work on the following tasks
 (additional work items will require rechartering):

       1. Requirements and framework for Layer 3 VPNs
       2. Solution documents for each approach listed above (including
             applicability statements)
       3. MIB definitions for each approach
       4. Security mechanisms for each approach

 As a general rule, the WG will not create new protocols, but will provide
 functional requirements for extensions of the existing protocols that will
 be discussed in the protocol-specific WGs. L3VPN WG will review proposed
 protocol extensions for L3VPNs before they are recommended to appropriate
 protocol-specific WGs.

 Multicast and QoS support are excluded from the charter at this time.
 They may be considered for inclusion in an updated charter
 at a later time. Future work items may also include OAM support.