Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 07:41:28 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IMAP UNSELECT command
	Author(s)	: A. Melnikov
	Filename	: draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-01.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2003-6-4
	
Certain types of IMAP clients need to release resources associated
with the selected mailbox without selecting a different mailbox.
While [IMAP4] provides this functionality (via a SELECT command with
an invalid argument), a more clean solution is desirable.
[IMAP4] defines the CLOSE command that closes the selected mailbox as
well as permanently removes all messages with the Deleted flag set.
However [IMAP4] lacks a command that simply closes the mailbox
without expunging it. This document defines the UNSELECT command for
this purpose.
A server which supports this extension indicates this with a
capability name of 'UNSELECT'.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.