Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-shah-ppvpn-ipls-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:52:30 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IP over LAN Service (IPLS)
	Author(s)	: H. Shah et al.
	Filename	: draft-shah-ppvpn-ipls-02.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2003-7-1
	
A Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) [VPLS] is used to interconnect 
systems across a wide-area or metropolitan-area network, making it 
appear to those systems as if they are interconnected on a private 
LAN.  The systems which are interconnected in this way may 
themselves be LAN switches.  If, however, the interconnected systems 
are NOT LAN switches, but rather are IP hosts or IP routers, certain 
simplifications are possible.  We call this simplified type of 
virtual private LAN service an 'IP over LAN Service' (IPLS).  In 
IPLS, as in VPLS, LAN interfaces are run in promiscuous mode, and 
frames are forwarded based on their MAC Destination Addresses. 
However, the maintenance of the MAC forwarded tables is done via 
signaling, rather than via the 'MAC Address Learning' procedures of 
IEEE 802.1D.  Further, Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) messages 
are proxied, rather than being carried transparently. This draft 
specifies the protocols and procedures for support of the IPLS 
service.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shah-ppvpn-ipls-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-shah-ppvpn-ipls-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-shah-ppvpn-ipls-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.