Subject: Protocol Action: RTP Control Protocol Extended Reports (RTCP XR) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:11:21 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'RTP Control Protocol
Extended Reports (RTCP XR)' <draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-report-extns-06.txt>
as a Proposed Standard. This document is the product of the
Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are A. Mankin and J. Peterson

Technical Summary

      This document defines the Extended Report (XR) packet type for the
      RTP Control Protocol (RTCP), and defines how the use of XR packets
      can be signaled by an application if it employs the Session
      Description Protocol (SDP). XR packets are composed of report
      blocks, and seven block types are defined here. The purpose of the
      extended reporting format is to convey information that supplements
      the six statistics that are contained in the report blocks used by
      RTCP's Sender Report (SR) and Receiver Report (RR) packets. Some
      applications, such as multicast inference of network characteristics
      (MINC) or voice over IP (VoIP) monitoring, require other and more
      detailed statistics. In addition to the block types defined here,
      additional block types may be defined in the future by adhering to
      the framework that this document provides. Security considerations
      including the use of Secure RTCP to overcome the heightened amount of
      information provided by the XR packet type are described.

Working Group Summary

      The working group divided for a time on whether to include more complex
      types of monitoring in the initial seven block types, but the resolution
      on the framework achieved a very good consensus.

Protocol Quality

      Prototype implementations exist of the XR packet type and have been
      discussed in reviewing the specification.

      The review of the specification was very active due to strong interest
      by a variety of communities.

      The review for the IESG was done by Allison Mankin.