Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:27:25 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Message Disposition Notification
	Author(s)	: T. Hansen, G. Vaudreuil
	Filename	: draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-05.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 2003-7-25
	
This memo defines a MIME content-type that may be used by a mail user 
agent (MUA) or electronic mail gateway to report the disposition of a 
message after it has been successfully delivered to a recipient.  This 
content-type is intended to be machine-processable.  Additional 
message headers are also defined to permit Message Disposition 
Notifications (MDNs) to be requested by the sender of a message.  The 
purpose is to extend Internet Mail to support functionality often 
found in other messaging systems, such as X.400 and the proprietary 
'LAN-based' systems, and often referred to as 'read receipts,' 
'acknowledgements', or 'receipt notifications.'  The intention is to 
do this while respecting the privacy concerns that have often been 
expressed when such functions have been discussed in the past. 
Because many messages are sent between the Internet and other 
messaging systems (such as X.400 or the proprietary 'LAN-based' 
systems), the MDN protocol is designed to be useful in a multi-
protocol messaging environment.  To this end, the protocol described 
in this memo provides for the carriage of 'foreign' addresses, in 
addition to those normally used in Internet Mail.  Additional 
attributes may also be defined to support 'tunneling' of foreign 
notifications through Internet Mail.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-05.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.