Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Next Steps in Signaling (nsis)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:09:02 -0400

The Next Steps in Signaling (nsis) Working Group in the Transport Area
of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information, contact
the Area Directors or the Working Group Chairs.

Next Steps in Signaling (nsis)
-------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
John Loughney <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Director(s):
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>

Transport Area Advisor:
Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: (un)subscribe
Archive: www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/nsis/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:
The Next Steps in Signaling Working Group is responsible for
standardizing an IP signaling protocol with QoS signaling as the first
use case.  This working group will concentrate on a two-layer
signaling paradigm.  The intention is to re-use, where appropriate,
the protocol mechanisms of RSVP, while at the same time simplifying it
and applying a more general signaling model.

The existing work on the requirements, the framework and analysis of
existing protocols will be completed and used as input for the
protocol work.

NSIS will develop a transport layer signaling protocol for the
transport of upper layer signaling. In order to support a toolbox or
building block approach, the two-layer model will be used to separate
the transport of the signaling from the application signaling.  This
allows for a more general signaling protocol to be developed to
support signaling for different services or resources, such as NAT &
firewall traversal and QoS resources.  The initial NSIS application
will be an optimized RSVP QoS signaling protocol.  The second
application will be a middle box traversal protocol.  It may be that a
rechartering of the working group occurs before the completion of this
milestone.

Security is a very important concern for NSIS. The working group will
study and analyze the threats and security requirements for
signaling.  Compatibility with authentication and authorization
mechanisms such as those of Diameter, COPS for RSVP (RFC 2749) and
RSVP Session Authorization (RFC 3250), will be addressed.

It is a non-goal of the working group to develop new resource
allocation protocols. Resource reservation and traffic engineering are
out of scope of this working group.  Additionally, third party
signaling is out of scope of this working group.  Mobility protocols
and AAA work are out of scope of the working group. The work produced
in this Working Group should work with existing IETF mobility and AAA
protocols, including (but not limited to) Mobile IP, SeaMoby Context
Transfer, etc.  NSIS also welcomes participation and expression of
requirements from non-IETF standards organization members, for
instance 3GPP, 3GPP2 and ITU-T.

Goals and Milestones:
Done    Submit 'Signaling Requirements' to IESG for publication as an Informational RFC.  
Aug 03	Submit 'RSVP Security Properties' to IESG as Informational RFC  
Aug 03	Submit 'NSIS Threats' to IESG as Informational RFC  
Sep 03	Submit 'Analysis of Existing Signaling Protocols' to IESG as Informational RFC  
Sep 03	Submit 'Next Steps in Signaling: Framework' to IESG for publication as 
	Informational RFC  
Feb 04	Submit 'NSIS Transport Protocol' to IESG for publication for Proposed Standard  
Mar 04	Submit 'NSIS QoS Application Protocol' to IESG for publication for Proposed Standard  
Sep 04	Submit 'NSIS Middle Box Signaling Application Protocol' to IESG for 
	publication for Proposed Standard