Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:30:51 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Opportunistic Encryption using  The Internet Key 
                          Exchange (IKE)
	Author(s)	: M. Richardson, D. Redelmeier
	Filename	: draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-12.txt
	Pages		: 52
	Date		: 2003-7-2
	
This document describes opportunistic encryption (OE) using the
Internet Key Exchange (IKE) and IPsec.  Each system administrator
adds new resource records to his or her Domain Name System (DNS) to
support opportunistic encryption.  The objective is to allow
encryption for secure communication without any pre-arrangement
specific to the pair of systems involved.
DNS is used to distribute the public keys of each system involved.
This is resistant to passive attacks.  The use of DNS Security
(DNSSEC) secures this system against active attackers as well.
As a result, the administrative overhead is reduced from the square
of the number of systems to a linear dependence, and it becomes
possible to make secure communication the default even when the
partner is not known in advance.
This document is offered up as an Informational RFC.
This is resistant to passive attacks.  The use of DNS Security
(DNSSEC) secures this system against active attackers as well.
There are two large payoffs.  First, the administrative overhead is
reduced from the square of the number of systems to a linear
dependance.  Second, it becomes possible to make secure communication
the default, even when the partner is not known in advance.
This document is offered up as an Informational RFC.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-12.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-12.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-richardson-ipsec-opportunistic-12.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.