Subject: Protocol Action: Text string notation for Dial Sequences and GSTN / E.164 addresses to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:25:49 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Text string notation for Dial 
Sequences and GSTN / E.164 addresses' <draft-allocchio-gstn-05.txt> as 
a Proposed Standard.

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of 
an IETF Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and 
Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary

The document describes the full set of notations needed to represent in 
a text string a Dial Sequence. A Dial Sequence is normally composed by 
Dual Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF) elements plus separators and the 
additional "actions" (such as "wait for dialtone", "pause for N secs", 
etc.) which could be needed to successfully establish the connection 
with the target service: this includes the cases where subaddresses or 
DTMF menu navigation apply. Global Switched Telephone Numbers (GSTN) / 
E.164 addresses (commonly called "telephone numbers") are a subset of 
a Dial Sequence, and thus use the same set of notations.

Working Group Summary

This is not the product of any working group in the IETF, but it has 
been reviewed in the working groups which deal with E.164 numbers of 
any kind. In version 03 (which was last called), there were some 
misunderstandings what this document specified, and this is cleared up 
in version 04.

This document is a compilation of syntaxes used in email, fax and URL 
definitions, and is not supposed to replace any of those 
specifications, but instead be a clear definition using ABNF on the 
syntax used.

Protocol Quality

The spec was reviewed for the IESG by Patrik Faltstrom.