Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tewg-measure-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:30:23 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Traffic Engineering Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for Internet Traffic Engineering 
                          Measurement
	Author(s)	: W. Lai, R. Tibbs, S. Van den Berghe
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tewg-measure-06.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 2003-7-24
	
In this document, we identify requirements for supporting the 
traffic engineering of IP networks.  Requirements for traffic 
measurement in service provider environments are presented and 
justified, and related issues are discussed. 
Highlights of requirements are: 
1. To aid network dimensioning, mechanisms to collect node-pair-
based traffic data are required to facilitate the derivation of per-
service-class traffic matrix statistics.  
2. For service assurance, the use of higher-order statistics is 
required. 
3. To preserve representative traffic detail at manageable sample 
volumes, packet-sampled measurements are required. 
4. To manage large volumes of measured data, use of bulk transfer 
and filtering/aggregation mechanisms are required.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-measure-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tewg-measure-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-measure-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.