Subject: Protocol Action: 'IANA Considerations for the Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:57:30 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IANA Considerations for the 
Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP)' <draft-schryver-pppext-iana-01.txt> as a 
BCP. This document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions 
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Margaret 
Wasserman.

Technical Summary
 
This document tightens up the IANA considerations for the PPP number
spaces. Specifically, it changes many First-Come-First-Served spaces
to require RFC publication, in order to get WG and IESG review prior
to number assignment.
 
Working Group Summary
 
There was support in the PPPEXT WG for these changes to the IANA
Considerations for PPP numbers. Indeed, the document resulted from a
thread discussing an individual Internet-Draft that proposed a new PPP
LCP option that the WG PPP was opposed to. Discussion of that
document pointed out that many PPP code points could be obtained from
IANA without any review, prompting this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.