Subject: Protocol Action: 'Information Model for Describing Network Device QoS Datapath Mechanisms' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:57:32 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Information Model for Describing 
Network Device QoS Datapath Mechanisms' 
<draft-ietf-policy-qos-device-info-model-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard. 
This document is the product of the Policy Framework Working Group. The 
IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy Bush.

Technical Summary
 
 The purpose of this document is to define an information model to
 describe the quality of service (QoS) mechanisms inherent in
 different network devices, including hosts.  Broadly speaking,
 these mechanisms describe the properties common to selecting and
 conditioning traffic through the forwarding path (datapath) of a
 network device.  This selection and conditioning of traffic in
 the datapath spans both major QoS architectures: Differentiated
 Services and Integrated Services.

 This documen should be used with the QoS Policy Information Model
 (QPIM) to model how policies can be defined to manage and configure
 the QoS mechanisms (i.e., the classification, marking, metering,
 dropping, queuing, and scheduling functionality) of devices.
 Together, these two drafts describe how to write QoS policy rules
 to configure and manage the QoS mechanisms present in the datapaths
 of devices.

 This document, as well as QPIM, are information models.  That is,
 they represent information independent of a binding to a specific
 type of repository. 

Working Group Summary
 
 The Working Group has consensus on this document to be published as
 Proposed Standard.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen

RFC-Editor notes:

- 2nd para of abstract
  OLD:
   This documenthis document 
  NEW:
   This document

- Page 2, 7th sentence
  OLD:
      Together, these two drafts
  NEW: 
      Together, these two documents
  
- Page 5, 1st para
  OLD:
      Together, these two drafts
  NEW: 
      Together, these two documents
  
- Page 5, 2nd para
  OLD:
      A separate draft could be written
  NEW:
      A separate document could be written

- The word "draft occurs at several more places. It is best
  to change those all to "document".

- Section 7
  OLD:
    Like [PCIM} and {PCiME},
  NEW:
    Like [PCIM] and [PCiME],

- Co-Author Walter Weiss is now at: [email-masked]