Subject: WG Review: Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:36:56 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Internet Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet.
The following description was submitted, and is provided
for informational purposes only:

 Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Description of Working Group:

IP mobility support for IPv4 nodes (hosts and routers) is specified in
RFC3344. RFC 3344 mobility allows a node to continue using its
"permanent" home address as it moves around the internet. The Mobile IP
protocols support transparency above the IP layer, including maintenance
of active TCP connections and UDP port bindings. Besides the basic
Mobile IPv4 (MIPv4) protocols, several other drafts deal with concerns
such as optimization, security, extensions, AAA support, and deployment
issues.

Mobile IPv4 is currently being deployed on a wide basis (e.g., in
cdma2000 networks). The scope of the deployment is on a fairly large
scale and accordingly, the MIP4 WG will focus on deployment issues and
on addressing known deficiencies and shortcomings in the protocol that
have come up as a result of deployment experience. Specifically, the
working group will complete the work items to facilitate interactions
with AAA environments, interactions with enterprise environments when
Mobile IPv4 is used therein, and updating existing protocol
specifications in accordance with deployment needs and advancing those
protocols that are on the standards track.

Work expected to be done by the MIP4 WG as proposed by this charter is
as follows:

1. MIPv4 has been a proposed standard for several years. It has been
   adopted by other standard development organizations and has been
   deployed commercially. One of the next steps for the WG is to advance
   the protocol to draft standard status. As part of advancing base
   Mobile IP specs to DS, the Mobile IPv4 NAI RFC (2794) will also be
   progressed towards DS.

2. Key exchange using AAA infrastructures for setting up security
   associations defined in RFC3344 will be completed.

3. The AAA WG, which is currently dealing with the Diameter Mobile IP
   application, requires the AAA NAI for Mobile IPv4. This work will
   be completed by the WG. The MIP4 WG will also work with the AAA WG
   to ensure that the Diameter Mobile IP application is aligned with
   WG requirements.

4. Home agent assignment at the time of mobile-ip registration, rather
   than preconfigured for the mobile node, has been proposed in
   draft-kulkarni-mobileip-dynamic-assignment-01.txt. The WG will
   take on the task of completing this. The ability to switch the home
   agent assigned to a mobile node while registered will also be
   considered as part of this task.

5. Work items that are pending from the previous Mobile IP WG, which
   will be completed by the MIP4 WG, are RFC3012bis (Challenge-response
   mechanism),low-latency handover draft to experimental status and the completion
   of the MIB for the revised base Mobile IP specification (2006bis).

6. The MIP4 WG will also complete the work on Mobile IPv4 interactions
   in VPN scenarios. This work will involve identifying the requirements
   and a solution development for Mobile IPv4 operation in the presence
   of IPsec VPN's.

Other potential work items may be identified in the future but will
require an appropriate recharter.