Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hancock-nsis-reliability-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:02:43 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Reliability Functions in the NSIS Transport Layer 
                          Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Hancock
	Filename	: draft-hancock-nsis-reliability-00.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2003-8-13
	
The Next Steps in Signaling working group is developing a protocol 
suite for signaling information about a data flow along its path in 
the network. The lower layer in the protocol suite, the NSIS 
Transport Layer Protocol (NTLP) is intended to provide a generally 
useful transport service for such signaling messages. 
There is a long-running open question about how much (if at all) the 
NTLP should provide reliable message transport. There is a large 
amount of confusion about what this question even means, let alone 
how to answer it. This document identifies the possible reliability 
requirements for signaling protocols in general, based on past 
evaluations of RSVP and research in soft-state protocol performance. 
It makes a proposal for what kind of reliable transport functionality 
should be supported in the NTLP, and discusses some of the resulting 
impacts and constraints on the NTLP design.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hancock-nsis-reliability-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hancock-nsis-reliability-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hancock-nsis-reliability-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.