Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-syslog-international-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:28:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Security Issues in Network Event Logging Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Syslog-international Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Gerhards
	Filename	: draft-ietf-syslog-international-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2003-8-1
	
This document describes syslog-international, a mechanism adding
support for international character sets to syslog.
Syslog-international provides these features in a way that has no
requirements and no impact on existing syslog implementations. It is
possible to support syslog-international and gain some of its
functionality by only changing the behavior of the devices generating
syslog messages. Some additional processing of the received syslog
messages may realize additional benefits. There is no need to change
syslog relays in order to support syslog-international. Existing
syslog implementations will benefit from the fact that
syslog-international supporting devices emit proper syslog messages
in all cases. It is common practice for many non-syslog-international
clients to accidently emit 8 bit characters if used in e.g. European
language environments. Syslog-international just adds a protocol
layer to the MSG part of the syslog message. As such, it is
compatible with all existing and future implementations of syslog.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-international-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-syslog-international-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-international-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.