Subject: WG Action: Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:38:43 -0400

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Internet Area.
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or
the WG Chairs.

Mobility for IPv4 (mip4)
------------------------

 Current Status: Active Working Group

 Chair(s): 

     Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
     Pete McCann <[email-masked]>

 Internet Area Director(s):

     Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
     Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

    Mailing list: [email-masked]
    To Subscribe: [email-masked]
    In Body or Subject: subscribe
    Archive: www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/mip4/current/maillist.html

DESCRIPTION:

 IP mobility support for IPv4 nodes (hosts and routers) is specified in
 RFC3344. RFC 3344 mobility allows a node to continue using its
 "permanent" home address as it moves around the internet. The Mobile IP
 protocols support transparency above the IP layer, including maintenance
 of active TCP connections and UDP port bindings. Besides the basic
 Mobile IPv4 (MIPv4) protocols, several other drafts deal with concerns
 such as optimization, security, extensions, AAA support, and deployment
 issues. 

 Mobile IPv4 is currently being deployed on a wide basis (e.g., in
 cdma2000 networks). The scope of the deployment is on a fairly large
 scale and accordingly, the MIP4 WG will focus on deployment issues and
 on addressing known deficiencies and shortcomings in the protocol that
 have come up as a result of deployment experience. Specifically, the
 working group will complete the work items to facilitate interactions
 with AAA environments, interactions with enterprise environments when
 Mobile IPv4 is used therein, and updating existing protocol
 specifications in accordance with deployment needs and advancing those
 protocols that are on the standards track.

 Work expected to be done by the MIP4 WG as proposed by this charter is
 as follows:

 1. MIPv4 has been a proposed standard for several years. It has been
       adopted by other standard development organizations and has been
       deployed commercially. One of the next steps for the WG is to advance
       the protocol to draft standard status. As part of advancing base
       Mobile IP specs to DS, the Mobile IPv4 NAI RFC (2794) will also be
       progressed towards DS.

 2. Key exchange using AAA infrastructures for setting up security
       associations defined in RFC3344 will be completed.

 3. The AAA WG, which is currently dealing with the Diameter Mobile IP
       application, requires the AAA NAI for Mobile IPv4. This work will
       be completed by the WG. The MIP4 WG will also work with the AAA WG
       to ensure that the Diameter Mobile IP application is aligned with
       WG requirements.

4. Home agent assignment at the time of mobile-ip registration, rather
       than preconfigured for the mobile node, has been proposed in
       draft-kulkarni-mobileip-dynamic-assignment-01.txt. The WG will
       take on the task of completing this. The ability to switch the home
       agent assigned to a mobile node while registered will also be
       considered as part of this task. 

 5. Work items that are pending from the previous Mobile IP WG, which will be
       completed by the MIP4 WG, are RFC3012bis (Challenge-response mechanism),
       low-latency handover draft to experimental status and the completion
       of the MIB for the revised base Mobile IP specification (2006bis).

 6. The MIP4 WG will also complete the work on Mobile IPv4 interactions
       in VPN scenarios. This work will involve identifying the requirements
       and a solution development for Mobile IPv4 operation in the presence
       of IPsec VPN's. 

 Other potential work items may be identified in the future but will
 require an appropriate recharter.

Goals and Milestones:

 Aug 03 AAA Keys for MIPv4 to IESG
 Sep 03 MIPv4 VPN interaction problem statement to IESG
 Sep 03 Low latency handover to experimental
 Oct 03 Revised MIPv4 Challenge/Response (3012bis) to IESG
 Oct 03 Advance RFC 2794 (NAI Extension specification) to IESG for Draft   
        Standard
 Nov 03 Revised MIB for MIPv4 to IESG
 Dec 03 Revised MIPv4 specification to IESG for Draft Standard
 Jan 04 Dynamic Home Agent assignment protocol solution to IESG
 Feb 04 MIPv4 VPN Solution to IESG