Subject: RFC 3566 on The AES-XCBC-MAC-96 Algorithm and Its Use With IPsec

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:47:28 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3566

        Title:      The AES-XCBC-MAC-96 Algorithm and Its Use With
                    IPsec
        Author(s):  S. Frankel, H. Herbert
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 24645
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-xcbc-mac-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3566.txt

A Message Authentication Code (MAC) is a key-dependent one way hash
function.  One popular way to construct a MAC algorithm is to use a
block cipher in conjunction with the Cipher-Block-Chaining (CBC) mode
of operation.  The classic CBC-MAC algorithm, while secure for
messages of a pre-selected fixed length, has been shown to be
insecure across messages of varying lengths such as the type found in
typical IP datagrams.  This memo specifies the use of AES in CBC mode
with a set of extensions to overcome this limitation.  This new
algorithm is named AES-XCBC-MAC-96.

This document is a product of the IPsec Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.