Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:37:23 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Lightweight Mobility Detection and Response (LMDR)
                          Algorithm for TCP
	Author(s)	: Y. Swami, K. Le
	Filename	: draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-01.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2003-9-29
	
TCP congestion control is based on the assumption that end-to-end
path of a connection doesn't change--or at best changes
infrequently--once the connection is established. However, when a
user moves from one subnet to another, this assumption breaks down.
After a subnet change, A TCP sender that relies only on the rate of
the arrival of ACKs for congestion control may inadvertently add to
unnecessary network congestion (or reduced throughput). What's
worse is that a TCP sender may be totally unaware of such user
mobility and may not be able to take any remedial action to prevent
packet loss. In this document we describe a network layer
independent mechanism by which a TCP receiver can propagate its
subnet change information to its peer, and based on that the sender
can take appropriate action.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-swami-tcp-lmdr-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.