Subject: RFC 3590 on Source Address Selection for the Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:05:24 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3590

        Title:      Source Address Selection for the
                    Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) Protocol
        Author(s):  B. Haberman
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 11554
        Updates:    2710

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-magma-mld-source-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3590.txt

It has come to light that there is an issue with the selection of a
suitable IPv6 source address for Multicast Listener Discovery
(MLD) messages when a node is performing stateless address
autoconfiguration.  This document is intended to clarify the rules on
selecting an IPv6 address to use for MLD messages.

This document is a product of the Multicast & Anycast Group Membership
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.