Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-purser-pppext-pppcn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:50:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: PPP Adaptation for Cellular Networks
	Author(s)	: K. Purser
	Filename	: draft-purser-pppext-pppcn-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2003-9-17
	
If the Internet is accessed via cellular networks, the Point-to-Point
protocol (PPP) is most commonly used for configuration of the
circuit-switched or packet-switched link.  Thus, this PPP
configuration time comes in addition to the usual call-setup time for
the cellular connection.  In many cases this will result in a fairly
long 'wait time' as perceived by end users before actual application
data can be transmitted.
This proposal describes a solution in which the PPP configuration
time can be significantly reduced (on the order of seconds) in cases
where both peer protocol entities can be modified according to this
proposal, which involves modifying standard PPP.  In cases where one
PPP peer is modified and the other utilizes only standard PPP, the
modified peer can fallback to standard PPP operation.  This fallback
mechanism will not noticeably affect the PPP setup time, and serves
to ensure interoperability.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-purser-pppext-pppcn-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-purser-pppext-pppcn-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-purser-pppext-pppcn-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.