Subject: RFC 3627 on Use of /127 Prefix Length Between Routers Considered Harmful

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:46:50 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3627

        Title:      Use of /127 Prefix Length Between Routers
                    Considered Harmful
        Author(s):  P. Savola
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       September 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 12436
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-savola-ipv6-127-prefixlen-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3627.txt

In some cases, the operational decision may be to use IPv6 /127
prefix lengths, especially on point-to-point links between routers.
Under certain situations, this may lead to one router claiming both
addresses due to subnet-router anycast being implemented.  This
document discusses the issue and offers a couple of solutions to the
problem; nevertheless, /127 should be avoided between two routers.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.