Subject: Document Action: 'HighSpeed TCP for Large Congestion Windows' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:38:42 -0400

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'HighSpeed TCP for Large Congestion Windows '
   <draft-ietf-tsvwg-highspeed-01.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary
 
HighSpeed TCP modifies the congestion control mechanisms of TCP to accommodate 
large congestion windows tailored to high-speed networks. Standard TCP constrains
 the congestion window that can be achieved by TCP in realistic multi-gigabit 
environments. Accordingly, HighSpeed TCP adapts the congestion window much more 
appropriately to achieve an optimal steady-state for very rapid data transfer, 
and does so in a way that can co-exist with standard TCP deployments on the 
Internet.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The TSVWG Working Group supports the advancement of this Experimental protocol. 
Several proposals to address the use of TCP in high-speed networks have arisen 
outside the IETF (largely in academic communities); it is believed that the 
experimental deployment of HighSpeed TCP will aid significantly in determining 
the direction of ongoing research in this area.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.