Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:37:37 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Requirements for VoIP Header Compression over 
                          Multiple-Hop Paths
	Author(s)	: J. Ash et al. 
	Filename	: draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2003-9-30
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP/.  When MPLS 
labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels.  For an 
MPLS VPN, the packet header is at least 48 bytes, while the voice 
payload is often no more than 30 bytes.  VoIP header compression can 
significantly reduce the VoIP overhead through various compression 
mechanisms.  This is important on access links where bandwidth is 
scarce, and can be important on backbone facilities, especially where 
costs are high (e.g., some global cross-sections).  Providing VoIP 
header compression over multiple hop paths avoids multiple 
compression/decompression cycles at each router, and thereby increases 
the processing scalability of the maximum number of simultaneous VoIP 
flows which use header compression at each router.  This draft gives a 
problem statement, example scenarios, goals, and requirements for VoIP 
header compression from compressor to decompressor over multiple-hop 
paths, possibly over MPLS.  It also discusses work items and issues for 
consideration, and highlights various solution alternatives that have 
been proposed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ash-e2e-voip-hdr-comp-rqmts-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.