Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:29:35 -0400

A modified charter has been submitted for the Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)
Working Group in the Routing Area of the IETF. The IESG has not made any determination as yet.
The following description was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only.
Please send your comments to the IESG mailing ([email-masked]) by September 30. 

   Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)
   --------------------------------------------

   Current Status: Active Working Group
   
   Chair(s):
       Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
       Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
       
   Routing Area Director(s):
       Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
       Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
       
   Routing Area Advisor:
       Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

   Mailing Lists:
   General Discussion: [email-masked]
   To Subscribe: [email-masked]
   In Body: subscribe ccamp
   Archive: http://ops.ietf.org/lists/ccamp

   Description of Working Group:

   Organizational Overview

   The CCAMP working group coordinates the work within the IETF defining
   a common control plane and a separate common measurement plane for
   physical path and core tunneling technologies of Internet and telecom
   service providers (ISPs and SPs), e.g. O-O and O-E-O optical
   switches, ATM and Frame Relay switches, MPLS, GRE, in cooperation
   with the MPLS WG. In this context, measurement refers to the
   acquisition and distribution of attributes relevant to the setting up
   of tunnels and paths.

   CCAMP WG work scope includes:

   - Definition of protocol-independent metrics and parameters
       (measurement attributes) for describing links and paths that are
       required for routing and signaling. These will be developed in
       conjunction with requests and requirements from other WGs (e.g.
       TEWG) to insure overall usefulness.

   - Definition of protocol(s) and extensions to them required for
       link and path attribute measurement. Link Management Protocol (LMP)
       is included here.

   - Functional specification of extensions for routing (OSPF, ISIS) and
       signalling (RSVP-TE) required for path establishment. Protocol formats
       and procedures that embody these extensions will be done jointly with
       the WGs supervising those protocols.

   - Definition of the mechanisms required to determine the route and
       properties of an established path (tunnel tracing).

   - Definition of MIB modules relevant to the protocols and extensions
       specified within the WG.

   CCAMP WG currently works on the following tasks:
           
   - Define how the properties of network resources gathered by a
       measurement protocol can be distributed in existing routing
       protocols, such as OSPF and IS-IS. CCAMP defines the generic
       description of the properties and how they are distributed in OSPF.
       The specifics of distribution within IS-IS are being addressed in
       the ISIS WG.

   - Define signaling and routing mechanisms to make possible the creation
       of paths that span multiple IGP areas, multiple ASes, and multiple
       providers, including techniques for crankback.

   - Define abstract link and path properties needed for link and path
       protection. Specify signalling mechanisms for path protection,
       diverse routing and fast path restoration. Ensure that multi-layer
       path protection and restoration functions are achievable using the
       defined signalling, routing, and measurement protocols, either
       separately or in combination.

   - Identify requirements for signaling and routing for ASON not currently
       met; based on these, define mechanisms to address these requirements.

   - Define a protocol that can determine the actual route and other
       properties of paths set up by CCAMP signaling protocols, as well
       as other types of tunnels (tunnel tracing).

   In doing this work, the WG will work closely with at least the following
   other WGs: TEWG, MPLS, ISIS, OSPF. The WG will also cooperate with
   ITU-T.

   Goals and Milestones:
   Done Post strawman WG goals and charter
   Done Identify and document a limited set of candidate solutions for signalling 
             and for measurement. Among candidate control solutions to be considered are the
             existing GMPLS drafts
   Done Build appropriate design teams
   Done Submit WG document defining path setup portions of common control plane protocol
   Done Submit WG document defining common measurement plane protocol
   Nov 03 Submit LMP MIB to IESG
   Dec 03 Submit GMPLS MIBs to IESG
   Dec 03 Submit protection & restoration documents to IESG
   Dec 03 Submit ASON signaling requirements doc to IESG
   Jan 04 Produce CCAMP WG document for multi-area/AS signaling and routing
   Jan 04 Produce CCAMP WG document for generic tunnel tracing protocol
   Feb 04 Submit ASON routing requirements doc to IESG
   Mar 04 Submit revised charter and milestones to IESG for IESG consideration of more 
                 detailed deliverables and determination of usefulness of continuation of WG