Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:56:50 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Use of IPsec Transport Mode for Dynamic Routing
	Author(s)	: J. Touch, L. Eggert, Y. Wang
	Filename	: draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-06.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2003-9-29
	
This document addresses the use of IPsec to secure the links of a
virtual (private) network (VN/VPN). It describes how virtual links
established by IPsec tunnel mode conflict with routing and forwarding
inside the VN, due to the IP routing dependence on references to
interfaces and next-hop IP addresses.
This document proposes a solution, called IIPtran, in which IPIP
encapsulation separate from IPsec is used together with transport-
mode IPsec. IPIP tunnel encapsulation occurs as a separate initial
step, based on a forwarding lookup of the VN packet. After the
forwarding lookup, IPsec transport mode processes the resulting
(tunneled) IP packet with an SA determined through a security
association database (SAD) match on the tunnel header.
IIPtran supports dynamic routing inside the VN without changes to the
current IPsec architecture, by establishing a complete virtual
topology with IPIP tunnels that supports static and dynamic routing,
and then securing it with IPsec transport mode.
The document also discusses how IIPtran compares to several
alternative mechanisms for VN routing, and their respective impact on
IPsec, routing, policy enforcement and interactions with the Internet
Key Exchange (IKE), among other issues.
This document is a product of the X-Bone and DynaBone projects at
USC/ISI [N5][N8]. Comments are solicited and should be addressed to
the authors.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.