Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 10:38:52 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Distributed Denial of Service Incident Handling: 
                          Real-Time Inter-Network Defense
	Author(s)	: K. Moriarty
	Filename	: draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-05.txt
	Pages		: 32
	Date		: 2003-9-4
	
Network security incidents such as Denial of Service (DoS), system
compromises, worms, and viruses typically result in the loss of
service, data, and resources both human and system.  Security
incidents can be detrimental to the health of the network as a
whole.  Network Providers (NP) need to be equipped and ready to
assist in tracing security incidents with tools and procedures in
place before the occurrence of an attack.  This paper proposes a
proactive inter-network communication method to integrate existing
tracing mechanisms across NP boundaries to identify the source(s)
of an attack. The various methods implemented to trace attacks must
be coordinated both on the NPs network as well as provide a 
communication mechanism across network borders.  It is imperative
that NPs have quick communication methods defined to enable
neighboring NPs to assist in tracking a security incident across
the Internet.  This proposal makes use of current tracing practices
for traffic and performance management, which could be extended
for security incident handling.  Policy guidelines for handling
these incidents are recommended and can be used by NPs and extended
to their clients in conjunction with the technical recommendations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-05.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-moriarty-ddos-rid-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.