Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-name-filters-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:50:41 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: User Interface Evaluation and Filtering of Internet 
                          Addresses and Locators -or- Syntaxes for Common 
                          Namespaces
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-name-filters-03.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2003-9-9
	
Many Internet applications have been designed to deduce top-level
domains (or other domain name labels) from partial information. The
introduction of new top level domains, expecially non-country-code
ones, has exposed flaws in some of the methods used by these
applications. These flaws make it more difficult, or impossible, for
users of the applications to access the full Internet.  This memo
discusses some of the techniques that have been used and gives some
guidance for minimizing their negative impact as the domain name
environment evolves. This document draws summaries of the applicable
rules together in one place and supplies references to the actual
standards.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-name-filters-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-name-filters-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-name-filters-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.