Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mills-sntp-v4-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:50:42 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Version 4 for 
                          IPv4, IPv6 and OSI
	Author(s)	: D. Mills
	Filename	: draft-mills-sntp-v4-00.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 2003-9-17
	
This memorandum describes the Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP)
Version 4, which is a subset of the Network Time Protocol (NTP) used
to synchronize computer clocks in the Internet. SNTP can be used when
the ultimate performance of the full NTP implementation described in
RFC-1305 is not needed or justified.  SNTP Version 4 clarifies
certain design features of NTP which allow operation in a simple,
stateless remote-procedure call (RPC) mode with accuracy and
reliability expectations similar to the UDP/TIME protocol described
in RFC-868.
The only significant protocol change in SNTP Version 4 is a modified
header interpretation to accommodate Internet Protocol Version 6
(IPv6) (RFC-1883) and OSI (RFC-1629) addressing.  However, SNTP
Version 4 includes an anycast mode and a public-key based
authentication scheme designed specifically for broadcast and anycast
applications. The authentication scheme extension is described in
another RFC. Until a definitive specification is published, these
extensions should be considered provisional. In addition, this memo
introduces the kiss-o'-death message, which can be used by servers to
suppress client requests as circumstances require.
This memorandum obsoletes RFC-1769, which describes SNTP Version 3,
and RFC-2030, which describes SNTP Version 4.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mills-sntp-v4-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mills-sntp-v4-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mills-sntp-v4-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.