Subject: NomCom call for volunteers

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:59:55 -0400

This is the call for volunteers to participate in the 2003 IETF Nominations Committee, 
the committee that will select this year's nominees for the IAB and the IESG.

The NomCom is the IETF's way of choosing its leadership. Typically, half of the IAB 
and half of the IESG is selected each year. It is possible that the NomCom will have 
to fill more or fewer slots than this, due to the creation or elimination of positions 
by the IESG, resignations, transfers, etc. IESG members whose terms are up are: 
Ned Freed, Applications; Bert Wijnen, Operations and Management; Alex Zinin, 
Routing; Steve Bellovin, Security; and Allison Mankin, Transport. 
IAB members whose terms are up are: Leslie Daigle, Patrik Faltstrom, 
Charlie Kaufman, James Kempf, Eric Rescorla, and Mike St. Johns.

For the NomCom to work as it should, the pool from which the volunteers are chosen 
should be as large as possible. The more people who volunteer, the better chance 
we have of choosing a random yet representative cross section of the IETF population. 
Volunteering for the NomCom is also a good way of serving the IETF community. 
So please volunteer.

NomCom members are barred from nomination during the year they serve, even if they 
later resign. Therefore being selected for the NomCom provides complete immunity against 
selection for the IAB or IESG during that year.

People who volunteer should be sure they can the afford the time, several hours per week 
for the next 4-5 months.  The task basically involves the following activities:

- Reading candidate's statements
- Participating in a weekly 2 hour conference call.
- Attending the IETF meetings held during the selection process.
- Doing several interviews.
- Speaking to IETF participants about the candidates, the job requirements, or the process.

All NomCom deliberations and supporting information that relates to specific nominees, 
candidates, and confirmed candidates are confidential. The NomCom members will be exposed 
to confidential information as a result of their deliberations, their interactions with 
those they consult, and from those who provide requested supporting information. 
All members are expected to handle this information in a manner consistent with 
its sensitivity.

Details about the Nominations Committee process can be found in RFC 2727 and 
draft-ietf-nomcom-rfc2727bis-07.txt. The 2003 NomCom will use RFC 2727 until 2727bis 
is approved as an RFC, at which time we will switch (as much as possible) to 2727bis.

To qualify as a volunteer, a person needs to have attended 2 out of the last 3 IETF meetings 
(according to RFC 2727) or 3 out of the last 5 IETF meetings (according to 2727bis). 
Anyone who meets either of these requirements is invited to volunteer by emailing your name, 
telephone number(s), and email address to [email-masked] no later than noon in Seattle 
on October 3, 2003.  Please put "NOMCOM VOLUNTEER" in the subject line.

I will check the eligibility of volunteers against both criteria and publish a up-to-date 
list of verified volunteers at http://www.ietf.org/nomcom/index.html. On October 3, 
I will decide whether to use the 2-of-3 or 3-of-5 rule, depending on whether 2727bis 
has been approved by that date. This will result in a final list of volunteers.

I will then run the selection process and announce the results on October 10, 2003. 
Ten NomCom voting members will be chosen from the pool of volunteers according to the 
procedure described by Donald Eastlake in RFC 2777, "Publicly Verifiable Nomcom Random 
Selection". The source of randomness will be based on the shares-traded number of 12 stocks 
selected by the NomCom chair.

The official shares-traded numbers (denoted in 000s) will be drawn from the October 10, 2003 
Wall Street Journal which reports the sales figures from the previous trading day - October 9,
2003. If trading in any of the stocks is suspended, then the shares traded will be assumed 
to be 0.

The NomCom voting members will start their term on October 17, after the IETF community 
has had a chance to review the random selection process.

Please volunteer.

Thank you,

Rich Draves <[email-masked]>

STOCKS USED IN THE NOMCOM SELECTION PROCESS:

Motorola (MOT)
Lucent (LU)
Nortel (NT)
Liberty (L)
Pfizer (PFE)
General Electric (GE)
Nokia (NOK)
EMC Corp (EMC)
FTI Consulting (FCN)
Citigroup (C)
Corning (GLW)
Tyco International (TYC)