Subject: RFC 3609 on Tracing Requirements for Generic Tunnels

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:25:58 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3609

        Title:      Tracing Requirements for Generic Tunnels
        Author(s):  R. Bonica, K. Kompella, D. Meyer
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       September 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 17859
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-tracereq-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3609.txt

This document specifies requirements for a generic route-tracing
application.  It also specifies requirements for a protocol that will
support that application.  Network operators will use the generic
route-tracing application to verify proper operation of the IP
forwarding plane.  They will also use the application to discover
details regarding tunnels that support IP forwarding.

The generic route-tracing application, specified herein, supports a
superset of the functionality that "traceroute" currently offers.
Like traceroute, the generic route-tracing application can discover
the forwarding path between two interfaces that are contained by an
IP network.  Unlike traceroute, this application can reveal details
regarding tunnels that support the IP forwarding path.

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.