Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-murthy-attachment-notification-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:53:18 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Mechanism to send notification of attachment details to select recipients of an address list in an email message, while the other recipients of the address list are sent the actual attachment.
	Author(s)	: H. Murthy
	Filename	: draft-murthy-attachment-notification-01.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 2003-10-22
	
The motivation for this memo stems from a need not to inundate the 
mailboxes of recipients with attachments, when all they need is a 
notification  with the details of the attachment and the list of 
recipients that the attachment was sent to. Also, the recipients of 
the attachment would in their email copy get the details of list of 
notified recipients. A use case would be where Joe sends an email 
with an attachment to Bill, and Bill in turn adds some comments to 
the body of the message, and has to send it to Bob and Joe with the 
attachment, In this case, Joe ends up having two emails with the same 
attachment.
  
This memo provides a mechanism whereby messages conforming to the
[RFC 2822] ('Internet Message Format') specification can convey extra
information.  It specifies a new set of 'Attachment-Notification' 
headers, optional and valid for any [RFC 2822] entity ('message' or 
'body part'). 

This document is intended as an extension to [RFC 2822]. As such, the
reader is assumed to be familiar with [RFC 2822] and [RFC 1521]. The
information presented herein supplements but does not replace that
found in those documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-murthy-attachment-notification-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-murthy-attachment-notification-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-murthy-attachment-notification-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.