Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kim-bgp-community-site-multihoming-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:26:42 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An Application of the BGP Extended Community Attribute		  	  for Distributed IPv6 Site Multihoming
	Author(s)	: K. Kim, et al.
	Filename	: draft-kim-bgp-community-site-multihoming-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2003-10-23
	
This document presents for a new IPv6 site multihoming scheme and its 
   operational requirements. It aims at solving potential deployment 
   problems in 'IPv6 Multihoming Support at Site Exit Routers [2]'
   using an application of BGP extended community attribute, called 
   multihomed community. In case of link failure in [2], basic 
   operations to support multihoming are entirely dependent on 
   functionality of border router in other ISPs. Hence, it causes 
   following problems; centralized encapsulation overhead for re-routing, packet delivery along un-optimized tunneling session, and losing 
   connectivity in case of ISP failure. Also, [2] do not provide any 
   alternative mechanism for long-term failure. For above reasons, if 
   the link remains failed for a long time, it has a little 
   applicability due to previously mentioned problems. In this memo, we 
   propose a new IPv6 site multihoming scheme, which establishes 
   multiple direct tunneling sessions between sender's site exit router 
   and reachable receiver's site exit router instead of one tunneling 
   session between border router and site exit router in [2]. 
   Furthermore, with some additional BGP operations, it can preserve 
   connectivity of on-going sessions regardless of ISP, intermediate 
   link, as well as directly connected site link failure.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kim-bgp-community-site-multihoming-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kim-bgp-community-site-multihoming-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kim-bgp-community-site-multihoming-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.