Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ihren-delegation-ttls-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:58:39 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Importance Of Parent-side TTLs For Referrals Several Layers Deep
	Author(s)	: J. Ihren
	Filename	: draft-ihren-delegation-ttls-00.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2003-10-21
	
This memo documents a consequence of how the TTL re-writing
mechanism works (or rather does not work) for the case of a
resolver chasing a referral chain several layers deep.

The most common example of this is the case of a recursive resolver
trying to look up a third level domain name starting from the root.

A result of how this works is that it seems to be a good idea to
recommend an increase of the present standard TTL for delegations
from the root zone from the present 48 hours to something
significantly longer. But, more importantly, the choice of TTL for
the referral from the parent should be a decision made by the
child, not the parent.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ihren-delegation-ttls-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ihren-delegation-ttls-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ihren-delegation-ttls-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.