Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-raggarwa-mpls-bfd-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:33:42 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: BFD For MPLS LSPs
	Author(s)	: R. Aggarwal, K. Kompella
	Filename	: draft-raggarwa-mpls-bfd-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2003-10-17
	
One desirable application of BFD is to detect a MPLS LSP data plane
failure.  LSP-Ping [LSP-Ping] is an existing mechanism for detecting
MPLS data plane failures and for verifying the MPLS LSP data plane
against the control plane.  BFD can be used for the former, but not
for the latter. However a combination of LSP-Ping and BFD can be used
to provide faster data plane failure detection and/or make it
possible to provide such detection on a greater number of LSPs.  This
document describes the applicability of BFD in relation to LSP-Ping
for this application. It also describes procedures for using BFD in
this environment.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-raggarwa-mpls-bfd-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-raggarwa-mpls-bfd-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-raggarwa-mpls-bfd-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.