Subject: Protocol Action: 'Link Management Protocol (LMP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:53:30 -0400

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'Link Management Protocol (LMP) '
   <draft-ietf-ccamp-lmp-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Alex Zinin.

Technical Summary
   
For scalability purposes, multiple data links can be combined to
form a single traffic engineering (TE) link. Furthermore, the
management of TE links is not restricted to in-band messaging, but
instead can be done using out-of-band techniques. This document
specifies a link management protocol (LMP) that runs between
neighboring nodes and is used to manage TE links. Specifically, LMP
will be used to maintain control channel connectivity, verify the
physical connectivity of the data links, correlate the link property
information, suppress downstream alarms, and localize link failures
for protection/restoration purposes in multiple kinds of networks.
   
Working Group Summary
   
The WG has consensus on this document. In the beginning there was too
much SONET/SDH specific material in this document, but that has now
been moved out into a separate document.
   
Protocol Quality
   
This memo has been reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.