Subject: Review of proposal: Education team

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:25:41 -0500

The IESG is considering creation of a formalized "education team" to manage
the IETF education efforts, which have so far been managed informally.
This is a new type of entity in the IETF, and community feedback is
therefore sought both on the specific charter and on the concept of having
"teams" with documented charters as part of the IETF's activities.

Please respond to the IESG ([email-masked]) no later than October 29.
Note: The mailing lists mentioned in the charter are already operational.
Feel free to subscribe, contribute or browse their archives.

---------- Team charter ----------

Education Team Charter
======================

[Draft Version: 05]

OVERVIEW:

The education team manages the internal education efforts of the IETF,
primarily focused on role and process education for IETF participants
and leaders.

STRUCTURE:

This effort is managed by a core education team, consisting of a team
leader and several members. The team leader is appointed by the
General Area Director, and the members of the team are chosen by the
team leader, with the approval of the General Area Director.

In order to allow for community visibility and input into our
educational activities:

        - The education team will maintain a web site linked to from
            the IETF web pages, which will include the latest educational
            infromation and materials.
        - The web site will also include:
                    > The members of the education team.
                    > A detailed action plan describing the plans and
                        schedule for education team activities.
                    > Minutes from all education team meetings.
        - The archives of the education team mailing list will be publicly
            available, and accessible from the web site.
        - The education team will hold occasional open meetings at IETF
            meetings (approximately one per year) to receive community input
            and feedback.
        - A public discussion mailing list will be maintained, for open
            discussion of our internal education efforts.

CURRENT RESPONSIBILITIES (As of Sept 2003):

The education team is responsible for maintaining and enhancing our
current education efforts, including:

        - Newcomer's training
        - Security tutorial
        - Introductory WG Chairs training
        - Ongoing WG Chairs training (topical)
        - Sessions for ongoing participants (topical)

This includes scheduling and logistical planning for these sessions,
deciding what will be presented by whom at topical sessions, managing
the development and review of training materials, and maintaining an
archive of the training materials and session minutes on the education
team web site.

In addition to formal training sessions, this group may consider
other approaches to meeting our educational goals, such as
mentoring/buddy programs, web-based training tutorials, and/or the
publication of educational documents as Informational RFCs.

FUTURE PLANS (Sept 2003-Sept 2004):

Over the next year, we will enhance and extend our current training
activities for participants and WG chairs, based on community
feedback and the judgement of the education team.

We will add a training session for current and aspiring document
editors.

We will also undertake educational efforts to help more non-North
Americans to be effective in the IETF. This is likely to include
education for North Americans regarding ways to make our meetings more
accessible to non-native English speakers, as well as new and/or
translated training sessions or educational resources for non-North
American participants.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Team Leader:
Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

General Area Director:
Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

Education Team: [email-masked]
Archive: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

General Discussion: [email-masked]
Subscribe/Archive: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-discuss