Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:45:04 -0400

The Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp) working group in the Routing 
Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, 
please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

With this announcement, the Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp) WG 
is moved to the Routing Area with Alex Zinin as the responsible area director.

Common Control and Measurement Plane (ccamp)
--------------------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):

Kireeti Kompella <[email-masked]>
Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):

Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:

Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):

Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe ccamp
Archive: http://ops.ietf.org/lists/ccamp

Description of Working Group:

Organizational Overview

The CCAMP working group coordinates the work within the IETF defining
a common control plane and a separate common measurement plane for
physical path and core tunneling technologies of Internet and telecom
service providers (ISPs and SPs), e.g. O-O and O-E-O optical
switches, ATM and Frame Relay switches, MPLS, GRE, in cooperation
with the MPLS WG. In this context, measurement refers to the
acquisition and distribution of attributes relevant to the setting up
of tunnels and paths.

CCAMP WG work scope includes:

- Definition of protocol-independent metrics and parameters
  (measurement attributes) for describing links and paths that are
  required for routing and signaling. These will be developed in
  conjunction with requests and requirements from other WGs (e.g.
  TEWG) to insure overall usefulness.

- Definition of protocol(s) and extensions to them required for
  link and path attribute measurement. Link Management Protocol (LMP)
  is included here.

- Functional specification of extensions for routing (OSPF, ISIS) and
  signalling (RSVP-TE) required for path establishment. Protocol 
  formats and procedures that embody these extensions will be done
  jointly with the WGs supervising those protocols.

- Definition of the mechanisms required to determine the route and
  properties of an established path (tunnel tracing).

- Definition of MIB modules relevant to the protocols and extensions
  specified within the WG.

CCAMP WG currently works on the following tasks:

- Define how the properties of network resources gathered by a
  measurement protocol can be distributed in existing routing
  protocols, such as OSPF and IS-IS. CCAMP defines the generic
  description of the properties and how they are distributed in OSPF.
  The specifics of distribution within IS-IS are being addressed in
  the ISIS WG.

- Define signaling and routing mechanisms to make possible the creation
  of paths that span multiple IGP areas, multiple ASes, and multiple
  providers, including techniques for crankback.

- Define abstract link and path properties needed for link and path
  protection. Specify signalling mechanisms for path protection,
  diverse routing and fast path restoration. Ensure that multi-layer
  path protection and restoration functions are achievable using the
  defined signalling, routing, and measurement protocols, either
  separately or in combination.

- Identify which requirements for signaling and routing for ASON are
  not currently met by protocols defined in CCAMP; based on these,
  define mechanisms to address these requirements.

- Define a protocol that can determine the actual route and other
  properties of paths set up by CCAMP signaling protocols, as well
  as other types of tunnels (tunnel tracing).

In doing this work, the WG will work closely with at least the 
following other WGs: TEWG, MPLS, ISIS, OSPF. The WG will also cooperate 
with ITU-T.

Goals and Milestones:
Done Post strawman WG goals and charter
Done Identify and document a limited set of candidate solutions for signalling
        and for measurement. Among candidate control solutions to be considered 
        are the existing GMPLS drafts
Done Build appropriate design teams
Done Submit WG document defining path setup portions of common control plane 
        protocol
Done Submit WG document defining common measurement plane protocol
Nov 03 Submit LMP MIB to IESG
Dec 03 Submit GMPLS MIBs to IESG
Dec 03 Submit protection & restoration documents to IESG
Dec 03 Submit ASON signaling requirements doc to IESG
Jan 04 Produce CCAMP WG document for multi-area/AS signaling and routing
Jan 04 Produce CCAMP WG document for generic tunnel tracing protocol
Jan 04 Submit ASON routing requirements doc to IESG
Mar 04 Submit revised charter and milestones to IESG for IESG consideration of
          more detailed deliverables and determination of usefulness of 
          continuation of WG