Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lee-hmp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:51:36 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Hotspot Mitigation Protocol (HMP)
	Author(s)	: S. Lee, et. al.
	Filename	: draft-lee-hmp-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2003-10-22
	
This draft specifies a Hotspot Mitigation Protocol (HMP) for 
mobile ad hoc networks that use on-demand routing protocols and 
the IEEE 802.11 MAC. Hotspots represent transient but highly 
congested regions in wireless ad hoc networks that result in 
increased packet loss, end-to-end delay, and out-of-order 
packets delivery. Using HMP, mobile nodes independently monitor 
local conditions (e.g., buffer occupancy, packet loss, and MAC 
contention and delay) in a fully distributed manner, and take 
local actions in response to the emergence of hotspots, such as,       suppressing new route requests and rate controlling TCP flows. 
As a result, HMP improves end-to-end throughput, delay, and 
packet loss, balances the resource consumption among neighboring 
nodes, and finally, improves the network connectivity by 
preventing premature network partitions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lee-hmp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lee-hmp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lee-hmp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.