Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-puthenkulam-eap-binding-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:46:33 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Compound Authentication Binding Problem
	Author(s)	: J. Puthenkulam
	Filename	: draft-puthenkulam-eap-binding-04.txt
	Pages		: 37
	Date		: 2003-10-27
	
There are several motivations for using compound authentication methods
using tunnels, but man-in-the-middle attacks have been found in these
protocols under certain circumstances. They occur when the inner 
methods used inside a tunnel method are also used outside it, without
cryptographically binding the methods together. At the time of writing 
this document, several protocols being proposed within the IETF were 
vulnerable to these attacks, including IKE with XAUTH, PIC, PANA over 
TLS, EAP TTLS and PEAP. This document studies the problems and suggests 
potential solutions to mitigate them. We also provide a reference 
solution for an EAP tunneling protocol like PEAP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-puthenkulam-eap-binding-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-puthenkulam-eap-binding-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-puthenkulam-eap-binding-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.