Subject: NomCom call for volunteers

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 12:23:41 -0400

This is the call for volunteers to participate in the 2003 IETF Nominations 
Committee, the committee that will select this year's nominees for the IAB 
and the IESG.

The NomCom is the IETF's way of choosing its leadership. Typically, half of 
the IAB and half of the IESG is selected each year. It is possible that 
the NomCom will have to fill more or fewer slots than this, due to the creation 
or elimination of positions by the IESG, resignations, transfers, etc. 
IESG members whose terms are up are: Ned Freed, Applications; Bert Wijnen, 
Operations and Management; Alex Zinin, Routing; Steve Bellovin, Security; 
and Allison Mankin, Transport. IAB members whose terms are up are: 
Leslie Daigle, Patrik Faltstrom, Charlie Kaufman, James Kempf, Eric Rescorla, 
and Mike St. Johns.

For the NomCom to work as it should, the pool from which the volunteers are 
chosen should be as large as possible. The more people who volunteer, the better
chance we have of choosing a random yet representative cross section of the IETF
population. Volunteering for the NomCom is also a good way of serving the IETF 
community. So please volunteer.

NomCom members are barred from nomination during the year they serve, even if 
they later resign. Therefore being selected for the NomCom provides complete 
immunity against selection for the IAB or IESG during that year.

People who volunteer should be sure they can the afford the time, several hours 
per week for the next 4-5 months.  The task basically involves the following 
activities:

- Reading candidate's statements
- Participating in a weekly 2 hour conference call.
- Attending the IETF meetings held during the selection process.
- Doing several interviews.
- Speaking to IETF participants about the candidates, the job requirements, or the process.

All NomCom deliberations and supporting information that relates to specific 
nominees, candidates, and confirmed candidates are confidential. The NomCom 
members will be exposed to confidential information as a result of their 
deliberations, their interactions with those they consult, and from those who 
provide requested supporting information. All members are expected to handle 
this information in a manner consistent with its sensitivity.

Details about the Nominations Committee process can be found in RFC 2727 and
draft-ietf-nomcom-rfc2727bis-07.txt. The 2003 NomCom will use RFC 2727 until 
2727bis is approved as an RFC, at which time we will switch (as much as possible)
to 2727bis.

To qualify as a volunteer, a person needs to have attended 2 out of the last 
3 IETF meetings (according to RFC 2727) or 3 out of the last 5 IETF meetings 
(according to 2727bis). Anyone who meets either of these requirements is invited
to volunteer by emailing your name, telephone number(s), and email address to 
[email-masked] no later than noon in Seattle on October 3, 2003.  
Please put "NOMCOM VOLUNTEER" in the subject line.

I will check the eligibility of volunteers against both criteria and publish 
a up-to-date list of verified volunteers at 
http://www.ietf.org/nomcom/index.html. On October 3, I will decide whether to use
the 2-of-3 or 3-of-5 rule, depending on whether 2727bis has been approved by 
that date. This will result in a final list of volunteers.

I will then run the selection process and announce the results on October 10, 
2003. Ten NomCom voting members will be chosen from the pool of volunteers 
according to the procedure described by Donald Eastlake in RFC 2777, 
"Publicly Verifiable Nomcom Random Selection". The source of randomness will 
be based on the shares-traded number of 12 stocks selected by the NomCom chair.

The official shares-traded numbers (denoted in 000s) will be drawn from the 
October 10, 2003 Wall Street Journal which reports the sales figures from 
the previous trading day - October 9, 2003. If trading in any of the stocks 
is suspended, then the shares traded will be assumed to be 0.

The NomCom voting members will start their term on October 17, after the IETF 
community has had a chance to review the random selection process.

Please volunteer.

Thank you,

Rich Draves <[email-masked]>

STOCKS USED IN THE NOMCOM SELECTION PROCESS:

Motorola (MOT)
Lucent (LU)
Nortel (NT)
Liberty (L)
Pfizer (PFE)
General Electric (GE)
Nokia (NOK)
EMC Corp (EMC)
FTI Consulting (FCN)
Citigroup (C)
Corning (GLW)
Tyco International (TYC)