Subject: Open architecture discussion list -- Scoped Address Architecture

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:21:08 -0400

Following the IAB Open Architecture meeting at the Vienna
 IETF, the IAB proposed the creation of a mailing list forum
 for further discussion of the architectural topics raised.

 See below for the charter and particulars of that mailing
 list forum, which is now open for subscription and participation.

 Thanks,

 Leslie,
 for the IAB.

 Scoped Address Architecture Discussion list

 List: [email-masked]
 Subscribe: [email-masked]
 Moderator: Eric Rescorla

 We have specified an Internet that works, at the network layer,
 using relatively stable but not permanent identifiers for connection
 endpoints, which are allocated and administered using a topology 
 dependent model, implying a service provider dependent model.

 But we run into problems (the architecture doesn't quite fit) when
 we try to address some scenarios encountered in real life:

         . multihoming
         . assembling a local network without necessarily
             having to contact an ISP to obtain address space
             (e.g., home net)
         . renumbering local networks without significant pain
         . working with wireless networks, where the concept of "link"
             can be quite fuzzy

 Some proposed solutions are challenged in terms of:

         . providing referential integrity - how is referential
             integrity maintained when identifiers are not globally
             unique or are overloaded?
         . choosing between different identifiers for an object which
             has different "reachability" and the reachability is
             context-dependent
         . security/transiting trust in layered address
             resolution
         . providing solutions that work across all layers of
             the stack and all areas - how do we find a solution
             that is great for routing but also great for security?

 The purpose of this mailing list is to identify and clarify the types of 
 problems we are encountering with the current architecture, and
 to debate the merits of approaches that:

         . provide scoping at the IP layer
         . provide scoping at some other (single) layer
         . provide new addressing paradigms that span several layers

 Out of scope for this discussion list are:

         . discussions of specific proposed "solutions" (except as
             illustrations for discussing problem types, and merits of
             general approaches)