Subject: Protocol Action: 'Securing X.400 Content with S/MIME' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:11:22 -0400

The IESG has approved following documents:

- 'Securing X.400 Content with S/MIME '
   <draft-ietf-smime-x400wrap-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Transporting S/MIME Objects in X.400 '
   <draft-ietf-smime-x400transport-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

These documents are products of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Steve Bellovin.

Technical Summary

      These documents describe the use of the S/MIME security mechanisms in
      an X.400 messaging environment.

      "Securing X.400 Content with S/MIME" describes the use of the
      Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) to digital signature and encryption
      services to X.400 content.

      "Transporting S/MIME Objects in X.400" describes protocol options for
      conveying CMS-protected objects associated with S/MIME version 3 over
      an X.400 message transfer system.

Working Group Summary

      The S/MIME Working Group came to consensus on these documents.

Protocol Quality

      These documents were reviewed by Jeff Schiller and Russell Housley for the    
      IESG.