Subject: RFC 3626 on Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:20:45 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3626

        Title:      Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR)
        Author(s):  T. Clausen, Ed., P. Jacquet, Ed.
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       October 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      75
        Characters: 161265
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-manet-olsr-11.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3626.txt

This document describes the Optimized Link State Routing (OLSR)
protocol for mobile ad hoc networks.  The protocol is an optimization
of the classical link state algorithm tailored to the requirements of
a mobile wireless LAN.  The key concept used in the protocol is that
of multipoint relays (MPRs).  MPRs are selected nodes which forward
broadcast messages during the flooding process.  This technique
substantially reduces the message overhead as compared to a classical
flooding mechanism, where every node retransmits each message when it
receives the first copy of the message.  In OLSR, link state
information is generated only by nodes elected as MPRs.  Thus, a
second optimization is achieved by minimizing the number of control
messages flooded in the network.  As a third optimization, an MPR node
may chose to report only links between itself and its MPR selectors.
Hence, as contrary to the classic link state algorithm, partial link
state information is distributed in the network.  This information is
then used for route calculation.  OLSR provides optimal routes (in
terms of number of hops).  The protocol is particularly suitable for
large and dense networks as the technique of MPRs works well in this
context.

This document is a product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.