Subject: Protocol Action: 'KDC Server Address Sub-option' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:20:05 -0400

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'KDC Server Address Sub-option '
   <draft-ietf-dhc-suboptions-kdc-serveraddress-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Dynamic Host Configuration Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes a sub-option of the "DHCP Option for CableLabs
Client Configuration", RFC 3495. A certain class of CableHome devices
require the configuration of a "Key Distribution Center" server as an IP
address rather than as a domain name.  The new sub-option provides KDC
configuration as an IPv4 address.

Working Group Summary
 
The -04 revision of the draft addresses comments received during the WG last
call.  Note that there were few responses to the WG last call; all of these
response supported acceptance of the doc and a couple of responses suggested
edits.  The important changes in the -04 rev are additional text in the
Security Considerations section and a new reference to the CableHome 1.1
specification.

Protocol Quality
 
This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

RFC Editor Note

Please change the title of the document as follows:

OLD:
     KDC Server Address Sub-option 

NEW:
     KDC Server Address Sub-option for the DHCP
     CableLabs Client Configuration (CCC) Option

Please change the following section, in order to define the
acronym "PS" in Section 1:

OLD:

   A CCC DHCP Option code providing the KDC server address will be
   needed for CableHome-compliant residential gateways configured to 
   use Kerberos for authentication as the first step in establishing
   a secure SNMPv3 link between the PS and the SNMP entity in the
   cable operator's data network.
   
NEW:

   A CCC DHCP Option code providing the KDC server address will be
   needed for CableHome-compliant residential gateways configured to 
   use Kerberos for authentication as the first step in establishing
   a secure SNMPv3 link between the Portal Services logical element
   [1, 2] in the residential gateways, and the SNMP entity in the 
   cable operator's data network.

Also please change the word "insure" to "ensure" in Section 3:

OLD 

  It is assumed that all service providers permitted onto 
  an access providers network are trusted entities that will cooperate 
  to insure peaceful coexistence.

NEW

  It is assumed that all service providers permitted onto 
  an access providers network are trusted entities that will cooperate 
  to ensure peaceful coexistence.

Thank you!