Subject: RFC 3603 on Private Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Proxy-to-Proxy Extensions for Supporting the PacketCable Distributed Call Signaling Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:01:16 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3603

        Title:      Private Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
                    Proxy-to-Proxy Extensions for Supporting the
                    PacketCable Distributed Call Signaling
                    Architecture
        Author(s):  W. Marshall, Ed., F. Andreasen, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       October 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 67509
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-dcsgroup-sipping-proxy-proxy-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3603.txt

In order to deploy a residential telephone service at very large
scale across different domains, it is necessary for trusted elements
owned by different service providers to exchange trusted information
that conveys customer-specific information and expectations about
the parties involved in the call.  This document describes private
extensions to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) (RFC3261) for
supporting the exchange of customer information and billing
information between trusted entities in the PacketCable Distributed
Call Signaling Architecture.  These extensions provide mechanisms for
access network coordination to prevent theft of service, customer
originated trace of harassing calls, support for operator services
and emergency services, and support for various other regulatory
issues.  The use of the extensions is only applicable within closed
administrative domains, or among federations of administrative
domains with previously agreed-upon policies where coordination of
charging and other functions is required.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.