Subject: RFC 3642 on Common Elements of Generic String Encoding Rules (GSER) Encodings

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:52:07 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3642

        Title:      Common Elements of Generic String Encoding Rules
                    (GSER) Encodings
        Author(s):  S. Legg
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       October 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 27774
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-legg-ldap-gser-abnf-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3642.txt

The Generic String Encoding Rules (GSER) describe a human readable
text encoding for an Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1) value of
any ASN.1 type.  Specifications making use of GSER may wish to
provide an equivalent Augmented Backus-Naur Form (ABNF) description
of the GSER encoding for a particular ASN.1 type as a convenience for
implementors.  This document supports such specifications by
providing equivalent ABNF for the GSER encodings for ASN.1 types that
commonly occur in Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)
syntaxes.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.