Subject: RFC 3596 on DNS Extensions to Support IP Version 6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:13:17 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3596

        Title:      DNS Extensions to Support IP Version 6
        Author(s):  S. Thomson, C. Huitema, V. Ksinant, M. Souissi
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 14093
        Obsoletes:  3152, 1886

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc1886bis-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3596.txt

This document defines the changes that need to be made to the Domain
Name System (DNS) to support hosts running IP version 6 (IPv6).  The
changes include a resource record type to store an IPv6 address,
a domain to support lookups based on an IPv6 address, and updated
definitions of existing query types that return Internet addresses as
part of additional section processing.  The extensions are designed
to be compatible with existing applications and, in particular, DNS
implementations themselves.

This document is a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the
IETF. 

This is now a Draft Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.