Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-plonka-embed-addr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:58:06 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Embedding Globally Routable Internet Addresses 
			  Considered Harmful
	Author(s)	: D. Plonka
	Filename	: draft-plonka-embed-addr-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2003-10-21
	
Vendors of consumer electronics and network gear have produced and
sold hundreds of thousands of Internet hosts with globally routable
Internet Protocol addresses embedded within their products' firmware.
These products are now in operation world-wide and primarily include,
but are not necessarily limited to, low-cost routers and middleboxes
for personal or residential use.

This 'hard-coding' of globally routable IP addresses within the
host's firmware presents significant problems to the operation of the
Internet and to the management of its address space.

This document means to clarify best current practices in the Internet
community.  It denouces the practice of embedding references to
unique, globally routable IP addresses in Internet hosts, describes
some of the resulting problems, and considers selected alternatives.
It is also intended to remind the Internet community of the ephemeral
nature of unique, globally routable IP addresses and that the
assignment and use of such addresses is temporary and therefore
should not be used in fixed configurations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-plonka-embed-addr-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-plonka-embed-addr-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-plonka-embed-addr-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.