Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-welzl-pmtud-options-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:32:50 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: PMTU-Options: Path MTU Discovery Using Options
	Author(s)	: M. Welzl
	Filename	: draft-welzl-pmtud-options-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2003-11-24
	
This document describes an experimental enhancement of Path MTU
Discovery that has the potential of reducing loss, speeding up
convergence, reducing load in routers which would otherwise need to
generate a large amount of ICMP messages, and alleviating certain
additional problems (interactions with tunnels, Black Hole
Detection). The idea is to use an IP Option which queries routers for
their MTU before starting a Path MTU Discovery process. The result
retrieved in this is used as an upper limit for Path MTU Discovery.
To this end, it is fed back to the source either at the packetization
layer (recommended) or at the IP layer.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-welzl-pmtud-options-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-welzl-pmtud-options-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-welzl-pmtud-options-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.