Subject: Document Action: 'Using TCP DSACKs and SCTP Duplicate TSNs to Detect Spurious Retransmissions' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:20:04 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'Using TCP DSACKs and SCTP Duplicate TSNs to Detect Spurious Retransmissions '
   <draft-ietf-tsvwg-dsack-use-02.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary
 
TCP and SCTP provide notification of duplicate segment receipt through 
DSACK and Duplicate TSN notification, respectively. This document shows
conservative methods of using this information to identify unnecessary 
retransmissions for various applications. This document does not, however
outline what a TCP or SCTP sender should do after a spurious 
retransmission is detected. It is hoped that future work building on the 
detection of spurious transmissions will make TCP and SCTP more robust
to reordererd packets.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The TSVWG supports this protocol going forward, and is investigating 
several proposals that rely on the detection of spurious retransmissions
which might benefit from this work.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.