Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Text/Plain Format and DelSp Parameters' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:30:35 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'The Text/Plain Format and DelSp Parameters '
   <draft-gellens-format-bis-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
    This specification establishes two parameters (Format and DelSP) to
    be used with the Text/Plain media type.  In the presence of these
    parameters, trailing whitespace is used to indicate flowed lines and
    a canonical quote indicator is used to indicate quoted lines.  This
    results in an encoding which appears as normal Text/Plain in older
    implementations, since it is in fact normal Text/Plain, yet provides
    for superior wrapping/flowing, and quoting.
   
    This standard supersedes the one specified in RFC 2646, "The
    Text/Plain Format Parameter", and adds the DelSp parameter to
    accommodate languages/coded character sets in which ASCII spaces are
    not used or appear rarely.

Working Group Summary
 
    This document was reviewed on the [email-masked] mailing list
    but is not the product of any IETF working group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    Ned Freed reviewed the specification for the IESG.

RFC Editor note:

In the abstract, change "This standard supersedes" to "This
document supersedes".

Section 1 is to be removed prior to publication.

In section 7, ABNF, replace the rule:

    quote            = 1*">"

with:

   QUOTE-MARK       = ">"
   quote            = 1*QUOTE-MARK

and replace:

   non-sp-quote     = < any character except NUL, CR, LF, SP, ">" >
   non-sp           = non-sp-quote / ">"
  
with:

   non-sp-quote     = < any character except NUL, CR, LF, SP, QUOTE-MARK >
   non-sp           = non-sp-quote / QUOTE-MARK