Subject: Document Action: 'IP over Optical Networks: A Framework' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:03:46 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'IP over Optical Networks: A Framework '
   <draft-ietf-ipo-framework-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IP over Optical Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alex Zinin and Bert Wijnen.

RFC Editor Note

  Section 9.1 "General security aspects"

  OLD:
    
   Communication protocols usually require two main security 
   mechanisms:  authentication and confidentiality. Authentication 
   mechanisms ensure data origin verification and message integrity so 
   that intrusions and unauthorized operations can be detected and 
   mitigated. For example, with reference to Figure 1, message 
   authentication can prevent a malicious IP client from mounting a 
   denial of service attack against the optical network by invoking an 
   excessive number of connection creation requests across the UNI 
   interface.  

  NEW:

   Communication protocols usually require two main security
   mechanisms:  authentication and confidentiality. Authentication 
   mechanisms ensure data origin verification and message integrity so 
   that intrusions and unauthorized operations can be detected and 
   mitigated. For example, with reference to Figure 1, message 
   authentication can prevent a malicious IP client from mounting a 
   denial of service attack against the optical network by invoking an 
   excessive number of connection creation requests across the UNI 
   interface. Another important security consideration is the need
   to reject replayed control packets. This capability can assist in
   countering some forms of denial of service attacks. Replay protection
   provides a form of partial sequence integrity, and can be implemented
   in conjunction with an authentication mechanism.