Subject: Protocol Action: 'String Profile for iSCSI Names' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:42:39 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'String Profile for iSCSI Names '
   <draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-string-prep-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Storage Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

  The iSCSI protocol provides a way for hosts to access SCSI devices
   over an IP network.  The iSCSI end-points each have a globally-unique 
   name that must be transcribable, as well as easily compared.

  This document describes how to prepare internationalized iSCSI names
   to increase the likelihood that name input and comparison work in
   ways that make sense for typical users throughout the world.

   It is a profile for iSCSI  of  RFC 3454, Stringprep.

Working Group Summary

  The working group strongly supported advancement of this specification.

Protocol Quality

   During Last Call, there was some very constructive review by the 
community.  
  The  document was reviewed for the IESG by Paul Hoffman and Allison Mankin

RFC Editor Note:

Old:

In addition, any upper-case characters input via a user interface
    should be mapped to their lower-case equivalents.

New:

  In addition, any upper-case characters input via a user interface
  MUST be mapped to their lower-case equivalents.

The reference to [stringprep] in Section 6 should be a reference to
[RFC3454].