Subject: STD 63, RFC 3629 on UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:23:14 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        STD 63
        RFC 3629

        Title:      UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646
        Author(s):  F. Yergeau
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       November 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 33856
        Obsoletes:  2279
        SeeAlso:    STD 63

        I-D Tag:    draft-yergeau-rfc2279bis-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3629.txt

ISO/IEC 10646-1 defines a large character set called the Universal
Character Set (UCS) which encompasses most of the world's writing
systems.  The originally proposed encodings of the UCS, however, were
not compatible with many current applications and protocols, and this
has led to the development of UTF-8, the object of this memo.  UTF-8
has the characteristic of preserving the full US-ASCII range,
providing compatibility with file systems, parsers and other software
that rely on US-ASCII values but are transparent to other values.
This memo obsoletes and replaces RFC 2279.

This is now a Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.