Subject: Protocol Action: 'IMAP Extension for Conditional STORE operation' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 14:02:48 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'IMAP Extension for Conditional STORE operation '
   <draft-ietf-imapext-condstore-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary

    Often, multiple IMAP clients need to coordinate changes to a common
    IMAP mailbox.  Examples include different clients for the same user,
    and multiple users accessing shared mailboxes. These clients
    need a mechanism to synchronize state changes for messages within the
    mailbox. They must be able to guarantee that only one client can 
change
    message state (e.g., message flags or annotations) at any time.  An
    example of such an application is use of an IMAP mailbox as a message
    queue with multiple dequeueing clients.

    The Conditional Store facility provides a protected update mechanism 
    for message state information that can detect and resolve conflicts 
    between multiple writing mail clients.
  
Working Group Summary
 
    This document is a product of the imapext working group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    Ned Freed reviewed the specification for the IESG.