Subject: Protocol Action: 'Message Disposition Notification' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:03:58 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Message Disposition Notification '
   <draft-vaudreuil-mdnbis-05.txt> as a Draft Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
   
This memo defines a MIME content-type that may be used by a mail user 
agent (MUA) or electronic mail gateway to report the disposition of a 
message after it has been successfully delivered to a recipient. This 
message headers are also defined to permit Message Disposition 
Notifications (MDNs) to be requested by the sender of a message. The 
purpose is to extend Internet Mail to support functionality often 
found in other messaging systems, such as X.400 and the proprietary 
"LAN-based" systems, and often referred to as "read receipts," 
"acknowledgements", or "receipt notifications." The intention is to 
do this while respecting the privacy concerns that have often been 
expressed when such functions have been discussed in the past. 

Working Group Summary

This document was originally the product of the RECEIPT working group.
Review of the revised version was conducted largely in the context
of the VPIM working group.
   
Implementation Report
The implementation report(s) for this specification may be found at:
                 
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/Mail-DISP-Implementation.txt
           
There is a supplemental interop report at:
                    
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Implementations/mdn-implementation-supplement.txt

Protocol Quality
   
Ned Freed reviewed the document for the IESG.

RFC Editor note:

Please change the example in section 3.2.2 as follows:

OLD:

      mdn-gateway field = "MDN-Gateway" ":" mta-name-type ";" mta-name

NEW:
      mdn-gateway-field = "MDN-Gateway" ":" mta-name-type ";" mta-name
                  ^ insert dash