Subject: Document Action: 'Exclusive XML Canonicalization, Version 1.0' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:51:09 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Exclusive XML Canonicalization, Version 1.0 '
   <draft-ietf-xmldsig-xc14n-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the XML Digital Signatures Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Steve Bellovin.

Technical Summary

  Canonical XML specifies a standard serialization of XML that, when
  applied to a subdocument, includes the subdocument's ancestor context
  including all of the namespace declarations and attributes in the
  "xml:" namespace.  However, some applications require a method which,
  to the extent practical, excludes ancestor context from a
  canonicalized subdocument.  For example, one might require a digital
  signature over an XML payload (subdocument) in an XML message that
  will not break when that subdocument is removed from its original
  message or inserted into a different context.  This requirement is
  satisfied by Exclusive XML Canonicalization.

Working Group Summary

  This document is the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) Exclusive
  Canonicalization Recommendation.  This document has been reviewed by
  W3C Members and other interested parties, including the IETF XMLDSIG
  Working Group.  Canonicalization is an important step in the process
  of digitally signing an XML document.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Russell Housley for the IESG.