Subject: Protocol Action: 'enumservice registration for SIP Addresses-of-Record' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 13:58:34 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'enumservice registration for SIP Addresses-of-Record '
   <draft-ietf-enum-sip-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Telephone Number Mapping Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary
 
   This document registers an ENUM service for SIP (the Session
   Initiation Protocol), pursuant to the guidelines in RFC2916bis.
   Specifically, this document focuses on provisioning SIP addresses-of-
   record in ENUM.  In particular it registers the E2U+SIP service.

  Working Group Summary
 
 There was no working group dissent about specifying this service, or
 about the particulars of the specification.  It was well-reviewed in the
 Working Group.

 Protocol Quality

 The specification was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.  It takes
 some care to lay out privacy in addition to security considerations.  

RFC Editor Note

Add to the end of the Security Considerations:

  An analysis of threats specific to the dependence of ENUM on
  the DNS, and the applicability of DNSSEC [##] to these, is
  provided in [1].

Append to the Informative References:

[##]  R. Arends, et al, Protocol Modifications for the DNS Security
         Extensions, draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-protocol-03.txt