Subject: RFC 3649 on HighSpeed TCP for Large Congestion Windows

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:35:18 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3649

        Title:      HighSpeed TCP for Large Congestion Windows
        Author(s):  S. Floyd
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       December 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 79801
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-highspeed-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3649.txt

The proposals in this document are experimental.  While they may be
deployed in the current Internet, they do not represent a consensus
that this is the best method for high-speed congestion control.  In
particular, we note that alternative experimental proposals are
likely to be forthcoming, and it is not well understood how the
proposals in this document will interact with such alternative
proposals.

This document proposes HighSpeed TCP, a modification to TCP's
congestion control mechanism for use with TCP connections with large
congestion windows.  The congestion control mechanisms of the current
Standard TCP constrains the congestion windows that can be achieved
by TCP in realistic environments.  For example, for a Standard TCP
connection with 1500-byte packets and a 100 ms round-trip time,
achieving a steady-state throughput of 10 Gbps would require an
average congestion window of 83,333 segments, and a packet drop rate
of at most one congestion event every 5,000,000,000 packets (or
equivalently, at most one congestion event every 1 2/3 hours).  This
is widely acknowledged as an unrealistic constraint.  To address this
limitation of TCP, this document proposes HighSpeed TCP, and solicits
experimentation and feedback from the wider community.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet
community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.