Subject: Protocol Action: 'MIKEY: Multimedia Internet KEYing' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 15:36:29 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MIKEY: Multimedia Internet KEYing '
   <draft-ietf-msec-mikey-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multicast Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Steve Bellovin.

Technical Summary

  Security protocols for real-time multimedia applications have started
  to appear, bringing forward the need for a key management solution to
  support these security protocols.  This document describes a key
  management scheme that can be used with real-time applications, for
  both peer-to-peer communication and group communication.  The document
  also shows how MIKEY might work with protocols such as SIP and RTSP.
  In particular, it describes how MIKEY can provide keying material for
  use with the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol.

Working Group Summary

  The MSEC Working Group came to consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Russell Housley for the IESG.