Subject: RFC 3656 on The Mailbox Update (MUPDATE) Distributed Mailbox Database Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:41:16 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3656

        Title:      The Mailbox Update (MUPDATE)
                    Distributed Mailbox Database Protocol
        Author(s):  R. Siemborski
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       December 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 35509
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-siemborski-mupdate-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3656.txt

As the demand for high-performance mail delivery agents increases,
it becomes apparent that single-machine solutions are inadequate to
the task, both because of capacity limits and that the failure of
the single machine means a loss of mail delivery for all users.  It
is preferable to allow many machines to share the responsibility of
mail delivery.

The Mailbox Update (MUPDATE) protocol allows a group of Internet
Message Access Protocol (IMAP) or Post Office Protocol - Version 3
(POP3) servers to function with a unified mailbox namespace.  This
document is intended to serve as a reference guide to that protocol.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.