Subject: RFC 3631 on Security Mechanisms for the Internet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:27:00 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3631

        Title:      Security Mechanisms for the Internet
        Author(s):  S. Bellovin, J. Schiller, C. Kaufman, Eds.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       December 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 47064
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-secmech-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3631.txt

Security must be built into Internet Protocols for those protocols to
offer their services securely.  Many security problems can be traced
to improper implementations.  However, even a proper implementation
will have security problems if the fundamental protocol is itself
exploitable.  Exactly how security should be implemented in a
protocol will vary, because of the structure of the protocol itself.
However, there are many protocols for which standard Internet
security mechanisms, already developed, may be applicable.  The
precise one that is appropriate in any given situation can vary.  We
review a number of different choices, explaining the properties of
each.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.