Subject: Adding SpamAssassin Headers to IETF mail

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:38:31 -0500

This is to inform you that we are planning to turn on SpamAssassin on all
IETF mail on Monday 12/15 at 3PM Eastern Time.  The only thing SpamAssassin
will be doing at this time is adding headers to messages indicating whether
or not it believes a message is or is not spam.  We will reserve the ability
to do filtering based on these headers until a later time after more analysis
is performed.

The reason for this implementation is to allow the IETF community to get used
to having these headers in the messages, and allow us to make any changes
to the filtering rules if certain mail is coming through IETF mail servers
and incorrectly getting marked as spam.

This will also allow us to look into scripts that will automatically go into
mailman admin queues and remove messages that it believes are spam.  This
will reduce the work load required of the mailling list admins.

If you have any questions or comments, please send them to
[email-masked] .

Below is an example of what the headers will look like in a message
identified as spam.

Received: from exim by ietf-mx with spam-scanned (Exim 4.12)
<SNIP>
    *  0.1 HTML_FONTCOLOR_UNSAFE BODY: HTML font color not in safe 6x6x6 palette
    *  0.1 HTML_70_80 BODY: Message is 70% to 80% HTML
    *  0.1 MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
    *  0.4 HTML_FONT_INVISIBLE BODY: HTML font color is same as background
    *  0.1 HTML_FONTCOLOR_RED BODY: HTML font color is red
    *  0.7 MIME_HTML_NO_CHARSET RAW: Message text in HTML without charset
    *  3.1 USERPASS URI: URL contains username and (optional) password
    *  2.0 DATE_IN_FUTURE_12_24 Date: is 12 to 24 hours after Received: date
    *  1.1 FORGED_OUTLOOK_HTML Outlook can't send HTML message only
    *  1.1 FORGED_OUTLOOK_TAGS Outlook can't send HTML in this format
    *  0.0 CLICK_BELOW Asks you to click below

--IETF Secretariat