Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-wei-rmr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:28:50 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Remote Multicast Replication (RMR) Protocol
	Author(s)	: L. Wei
	Filename	: draft-wei-rmr-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2003-12-15
	
The deployment and provisioning of multicast services must satisfy
certain network design constraints in the last mile. It is common
for a network design to have a small set of intelligent layer 3
devices (controllers) and a larger set of simpler layer 2 devices
(aggregators). The controllers handle routing, user authentication
and access control etc. They are connected via a network to the
aggregators closer to the clients. Special design is needed to
support multicast over this network.

This draft proposes a Remote Multicast Replication (RMR) protocol,
that reduces or removes duplicate multicast traffic in between the
controllers and the aggregators. The RMR protocol is independent
of layer 2 technology and topology being used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wei-rmr-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-wei-rmr-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wei-rmr-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.