Subject: Protocol Action: 'A Message Summary and Message Waiting Indication Event Package for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:13:07 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A Message Summary and Message Waiting Indication Event Package for the 
   Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-mwi-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

   This document describes a SIP event package to carry message waiting
   status and message summaries from a messaging system to an interested
   User Agent.

    Using SIP-Specific Event Notification,  a Subscriber User Agent
   (typically an IP phone or SIP software User Agent) subscribes to the
   status of their messages.  A SIP User Agent acting on behalf of the
   user's messaging system then notifies the Subscriber whenever the
   messaging account's messages have changed.   The mime type
   application/simple-message-summary is defined for these notifications.

Working Group Summary

   The working group reviewed and supported advancing this specification.  

Protocol Quality

    The event package has been checked against RFC 3265.  The document was
     reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.

RFC Editor Note:

Old:

   To: <[email-masked]>
   From: <[email-masked]>

New:

   To: <[email-masked]>
   From: <[email-masked]>

[one instance]