Subject: BCP 82, RFC 3692 on Assigning Experimental and Testing Numbers Considered Useful

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:49:55 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 82
        RFC 3692

        Title:      Assigning Experimental and Testing Numbers
                    Considered Useful
        Author(s):  T. Narten
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       January 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 15054
        Updates:    2434

        I-D Tag:    draft-narten-iana-experimental-allocations-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3692.txt

When experimenting with or extending protocols, it is often necessary
to use some sort of protocol number or constant in order to actually
test or experiment with the new function, even when testing in a
closed environment.  For example, to test a new DHCP option, one needs
an option number to identify the new function.  This document
recommends that when writing IANA Considerations sections, authors
should consider assigning a small range of numbers for
experimentation purposes that implementers can use when testing
protocol extensions or other new features.  This document reserves
some ranges of numbers for experimentation purposes in specific
protocols where the need to support experimentation has been
identified.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.