Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Cross Registry Information Service Protocol (crisp)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:33:45 -0500

The charter of the Cross Registry Information Service Protocol (crisp) working 
group in the Application Area of the IETF has been updated.  For additional 
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Cross Registry Information Service Protocol (crisp)
---------------------------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
April Marine <[email-masked]>
George Michaelson <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Director(s):
Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:
Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: https://lists.verisignlabs.com/mailman/listinfo/ietf-not43

Description of Working Group:

In the standard operation of Internet systems, various labels and data
are managed globally -- domain names, IPv4 and IPv6 addresses,
etc. From time to time, for operational and administrative purposes,
users of the Internet need to be able to find and access registered
nformation associated with those labels.

The CRISP (Cross-Registry Information Service Protocol) WG will
define a standard mechanism that can be used for:

 - finding authoritative information associated with a label,

 - a protocol to transport queries and responses for accessing that
 information,

 - a first profile (schema & queries) to support commonly-required
 queries for domain registration information,

 - a second profile (schema & queries) to support commonly-required
 queries for numbering resource information. ("numbering resources"
 is used to refer to IP addresses and ASNs)

The WG will strive to preserve an extensible architecture so that the
work possibly be useful in the future to other types of registries
beyond those specifically considered by the group.

Specific topics that are NOT goals of this WG are:

 - Backwards compatibility with existing administrative directory
 services such as WHOIS.

 - Provisioning of data into registry or registrar systems. CRISP
 provides a uniform access to and view of data that may be held in
 disparate backend servers.

The CRISP service definition will define:

 - a standard mechanism that can be used to determine the
 authoritative server(s) for information about a given label

 - a single mandatory to implement protocol for transporting
 application queries and responses, including

 - expression of input query

 - expression of result sets

 - standard expression of error conditions

 - authentication and verification of data integrity

 - specific data types and queries to be supported in the
 supported registry services.

Deliverables:

 - Requirements document as an Informational RFC. (previously submitted)

 - First draft of protocol (use) specification. (previously submitted)

 - First draft of domain registration administrative directory
 services required schema element specification. (previously submitted)

 - Document specifying a new protocol, or the use of an existing one,
 for providing CRISP service (application transport).

 - Document specifying required schema elements and queries for domain
 registration administrative directory queries.

 - Document specifying required schema elements and queries for
 numbering resources registration administrative directory queries.

Milestones:

 Jan 04 Submit revised protocol (use) specification document as
     Proposed Standard

 Jan 04 Submit revised draft of domain registration administrative
     directory services required schema element specification as Proposed
     Standard.

 Feb 04 Submit first draft of IP address registration administrative
     directory services required schema element specification

 Apr 04 Submit revised draft of IP address registration administrative
     directory services required schema element specification as Proposed
     Standard.