Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:59:11 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Cleaner SMTP Envelope for Internet Mail
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2004-1-23
	
During the last few years, a number of proposals for
extensions or improvements to email have run into trouble with a
side-effect of mail relaying.  In the current Internet Mail model, every SMTP server is required to break strict layering by inserting one or more additional 'trace' headers into the message headers which are actually part of the SMTP payload.  Since the headers are
altered in transit, header-signing is not an available option, various
anti-spam and internationalization strategies are infeasible or much
more complex, and so on.  This document proposes to change the
Internet mail model to place the in-transit trace information in the
envelope, removing the requirement that relaying systems modify the
message payload.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-email-envelope-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.