Subject: Protocol Action: 'Securely Available Credentials Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:07:09 -0500

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'Securely Available Credentials Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-sacred-protocol-bss-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Securely Available Credentials - Credential Server Framework '
   <draft-ietf-sacred-framework-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

These documents are products of the Securely Available Credentials Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Steve Bellovin and Russ Housley.

Technical Summary

Certificates and other cryptographic credentials are ungainly things, not 
suitable to human memorization.  While smart cards and the like are one 
possible solution, they're not widely deployed or used for general-purpose
computing.  The SACRED protocol permits remote storage and retrieval of 
such credentials.

Working Group Summary

There was working group consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

This protocol was reviewed for the IESG by Steve Bellovin