Subject: RFC 3670 on Information Model for Describing Network Device QoS Datapath Mechanisms

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:56:40 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3670

        Title:      Information Model for Describing
                    Network Device QoS Datapath Mechanisms
        Author(s):  B. Moore, D. Durham, J. Strassner, A. Westerinen,
                    W. Weiss
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      97
        Characters: 221687
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-policy-qos-device-info-model-10.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3670.txt

The purpose of this document is to define an information model to
describe the quality of service (QoS) mechanisms inherent in
different network devices, including hosts.  Broadly speaking,
these mechanisms describe the properties common to selecting and
conditioning traffic through the forwarding path (datapath) of a
network device.  This selection and conditioning of traffic in
the datapath spans both major QoS architectures: Differentiated
Services and Integrated Services.

This document should be used with the QoS Policy
Information Model (QPIM) to model how policies can be defined to
manage and configure the QoS mechanisms (i.e., the
classification, marking, metering, dropping, queuing, and
scheduling functionality) of devices.  Together, these two documents
describe how to write QoS policy rules to configure and manage
the QoS mechanisms present in the datapaths of devices.

This document, as well as QPIM, are information models.  That is, they
represent information independent of a binding to a specific type of
repository.

This document is a product of the Policy Framework Working Group of
the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.