Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-van-beijnum-multi6-odt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:04:10 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: On Demand Tunneling For Multihoming
	Author(s)	: I. van Beijnum
	Filename	: draft-van-beijnum-multi6-odt-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2004-1-12
	
This document describes a protocol to negotiate and subsequently use
tunnels on demand, and the use of such tunnels to achieve scalable
multihoming. The tunnels may run over either IPv4 or IPv6 transport,
and the payload may consist of any upper layer protocol that can be
used with IPv4 or IPv6. Tunnels are defined end-to-end, which means
that a single outer or 'locator' address pair maps to a single inner
or 'identifier' address pair. In order to avoid unnecessary
overhead, tunneled packets (in the absence of option headers) only
carry an outer header, an upper layer header and payload data. There
is no inner header containing the original addresses; this
information is reconstituted from the state associated with the
tunnel where required. 

Additional mechanisms are used to provide basic security for the
mapping between inner and outer addresses and to avoid unnecessary
overhead and delays for short-lived sessions, and to facilitate
rehoming in the event of a reachability problem. 

This document is a first draft, and as such doesn't contain a full
protocol specification as higher-level changes are expected.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi6-odt-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-van-beijnum-multi6-odt-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi6-odt-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.