Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: MBONE Deployment (mboned)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:46:23 -0500

The charter of the MBONE Deployment (mboned) working group in the 
Operations and Management Area of the IETF has been updated.  
For additional information, please contact the Area Directors or 
the working group Chairs.

MBONE Deployment (mboned)
------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
David Meyer <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned

 Description of Working Group:

 The MBONE Deployment Working Group is a forum for coordinating
 the deployment, engineering, and operation of multicast routing
 protocols and procedures in the global Internet. This activity will
 include, but not be limited to:

 - Documenting deployment of multicast routing in the global Internet.

 - Receive regular reports on the current state of the deployment of
     multicast technology. Create "practice and experience" documents that
     capture the experience of those who have deployed and are deploying
     various multicast technologies.

 - Based on reports and other information, provide feedback to other
     relevant working groups.

 - Develop mechanisms and procedures for sharing operational
     information to aid in operation of the multicast backbones and
     interconnects. 

 - Update RFC 3171/BCP 51 based on experience. 

 - Develop a roadmap informational RFC that describes the current
     IPv4 and IPv6 IETF multicast architectures, including
     references to the relevant IETF documents and guidance for
     implementers and network operators. 

 - Complete the MSDP MIB

 This is not meant to be a protocol development Working Group.

 Goals and Milestones:

 Done Submit I-D on inter-provider coordination of the deployment
             of pruning mrouteds.
 Done Establish initial charter, goals, and long-term group agenda.
 Done Submit I-D outlining requirements for the existing MBONE
             infrastructure.
 Done Submit I-D specifying the use of administratively scoped
             multicast addresses (RFC 2365)
 Done Submit I-D specifying the use of native multicast where
             appropriate (e.g. exchange points).
 Done Submit I-D on IP Multicast and Firewalls (RFC 2588)
 Done Submit I-D specifying static allocations in 233/8 (RFC 3180)
 Done Submit I-D on debugging multicast problems.
 Done Submit final version of scope zone announcement protocol
             (MZAP RFC 2776)
 Done Submit final version of scoped address discovery protocol (SADP)
 Done Submit I-D describing ISP multicast deployment practices
 Done Submit I-D, with RPS WG, on extensions to RPSL to describe
             multicast routing policy.
 Done Submit I-D describing extended allocations in 233/8 (RFC 3138)
 Done Submit I-D describing IANA Guidelines for IPv4 Multicast Address
             Assignments (RFC 3171)
 Done Submit I-D describing IP Multicast Applications issues (RFC 3170)
 Done Submit I-D describing Anycast (RP) mechanism (RFC 3446)
 Done Submit I-D describing Source-Specific Protocol Independent
             Multicast in 232/8
 Done Submit I-D describing MSDP Deployment Scenarios
 Done Submit I-D describing IPv4 Multicast Unusable Group And 
             Source Addresses
 Done Submit I-D describing Embedded RP for IPv6 Multicast Address
 Apr 04 Submit I-D on PIM-SM Multicast Routing Security Issues 
 May 04 Submit I-D on IPv4/IPv6 multicast co-existence
               issues and strategies for IPv4 multicast and IPv6 multicast. 
 Jun 04 Update IANA Guidelines for IPv4 Multicast Address
               Assignments (RFC 3171/BCP 51) 
 Jun 04 Submit PIM-SM Multicast Routing Security Issues
               to IESG for Informational 
 Jun 04 Submit MSDP MIB to IESG for Experimental
 Aug 04 Submit IPv4 multicast address allocation procedures IESG for BCP
 Aug 04 Submit IPv4/v6 co-existence strategies to IESG for Informational
 Aug 04 Submit multicast roadmap/reference architecture
               document to IESG for Informational