Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-reqs-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:07:35 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Requirements for ECRTP over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash
	Filename	: draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-reqs-01.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2004-1-27
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP.  When MPLS 
labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels.  For an 
MPLS VPN, the packet header is at least 48 bytes, while the voice 
payload is often no more than 30 bytes, for example.  VoIP header 
compression can significantly reduce the VoIP overhead through various 
compression mechanisms, such as enhanced compressed RTP (ECRTP). We 
consider using MPLS to route ECRTP compressed packets over an MPLS LSP 
without compression/decompression cycles at each router.  Such an ECRTP 
over MPLS capability can increase the bandwidth efficiency as well as 
processing scalability of the maximum number of simultaneous VoIP flows 
that use header compression at each router.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-reqs-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-reqs-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-ecrtp-over-mpls-reqs-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.