Subject: Protocol Action: 'Link Management Protocol (LMP) for Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) Optical Line Systems' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:08:50 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'Link Management Protocol (LMP) for Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing

   (DWDM) Optical Line Systems '
   <draft-ietf-ccamp-lmp-wdm-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen, Alex Zinin and Bill Fenner.

Technical Summary
 
  The Link Management Protocol (LMP) is defined to manage traffic
  engineering (TE) links. In its present form, LMP focuses on peer
  nodes; i.e., nodes that peer in signaling and/or routing. In this
  document we propose extensions to LMP to allow it to be used between
  a peer node and an adjacent optical line system (OLS). These
  extensions are intended to satisfy the "Optical Link Interface
  Requirements" described in a companion document.
 
Working Group Summary
 
  The Working Group has consensus to publish this document as a Proposed
  Standard.  There were no comments from IETF Last Call.

Protocol Quality
 
  This document was reviewed for teh IESG by Bert Wijnen

RFC-Editor note:

Please insert at the beginning of sect 2.4 the following para:

  The Fault Management procedure used between a peer and an OLS follows
  the procedures described in [LMP]; some further extensions are defined
  in this section.  The information learned from the OLS-peer fault
  management procedures may be used to trigger peer-peer LMP fault
  management, or may be used to trigger GMPLS signaling/routing
  procedures directly.