Subject: Protocol Action: 'Mobile IPv4 Extension for AAA Network Access Identifiers' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:26:33 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Mobile IPv4 Extension for AAA Network Access Identifiers '
   <draft-ietf-mip4-aaa-nai-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobility for IPv4 Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Margaret Wasserman.

Technical Summary

When a mobile node moves from one foreign networks to another, it has
to be reauthenticated at the new foreign network.  If the home network
has multiple AAA servers the reauthentication request may not be
directed to the same AAAH that processed previous authentication
requests. In order for the new Home AAA server to be able to forward
the request to the appropriate Home Agent, it has to know the identity
of the Home Agent the mobile node is using.  This document defines an
extension that enables the HA to pass its identity to the mobile node
which can in turn pass it to the AAA server when changing point of
attachment.  This document specifies a Mobile IP NAI extension that
can carry these NAIs.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus in the WG for this extension.

Protocol Quality

The specification has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.