Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-engelstad-manet-name-resolution-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:04:11 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Name Resolution in on-demand MANETS and external IP Networks
	Author(s)	: P. Engelstad, G. Egeland
	Filename	: draft-engelstad-manet-name-resolution-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2004-2-2
	
The most common user applications for data communication (including 
    web browsing and e-mail) lack a method for name resolution in multi-
    hop wireless ad-hoc networks of mobile nodes (MANETs). While the 
    Domain Name System (DNS) works well on the fixed Internet, it 
    represents a centralized approach to name resolution, which is not 
    suitable for MANETs. This document specifies a straightforward 
    solution for name resolution lookup in on-demand MANETs, i.e. MANETs 
    that are routed with a reactive routing protocol, such as DSR [DSR] 
    or AODV [AODV]. Names are resolved locally within the MANET with a 
    mechanism similar to multicast DNS or LLMNR on a link. Although 
    names resolved locally normally will have preference, MANET nodes 
    that have access to external networks may complement the local name 
    resolution by injecting into the MANET lookup results resolved by a 
    conventional DNS server. The proposed solution applies equally well 
    to IPv4 or IPv6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-engelstad-manet-name-resolution-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-engelstad-manet-name-resolution-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-engelstad-manet-name-resolution-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.