Subject: Protocol Action: 'ESMTP and LMTP Transmission Types Registration' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:01:53 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'ESMTP and LMTP Transmission Types Registration '
   <draft-newman-esmtpsa-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ned Freed.

Technical Summary
 
   This registers seven new mail transmission types (ESMTPA, ESMTPS,
   ESMTPSA, LMTP, LMTPA, LMTPS, LMTPSA) for use in the "with" clause of
   a Received header in an Internet message.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   This document was reviewed on the [email-masked] mailing list
   but is not a product of an IETF working group.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   Ned Freed reviewed the document for the IESG.

RFC Editor note

   The acronyms in the title need to be expanded to somethig like:
   "Extended SMTP and Local Mail Transfer Protocol (LMTP) Transmission
   Types Registration"

   Please change the second paragraph of the security considerations to
   read:

   These keywords are not normally protected in transport which means
   they can be modified by an active attacker.  They also do not
   indicate the specifics of the mechanism used, and therefore do not
   provide any real-world security assurance. They should not be used
   for mail filtering or relaying decisions except in very controlled 
   environments. As they are both cryptic and hidden in trace headers
   used primarily to diagnose email problems, it is not expected they
   will mislead end users with a false sense of security. Information
   with a higher degree of reliability can be obtained by correlating
   the Received headers with the logs of the various Mail Transfer
   Agents through which the message passed.