Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-process-planb-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 16:14:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Narrowing IESG Process Flexibilities
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-process-planb-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2004-2-9
	
One basic model for IETF operations is that the IESG is given general
guidance in specific procedural documents but sufficient discretion
and flexibility to adapt the rules and make new ones in order to make
the IETF work smoothly.  This model underlies a number of reform
proposals, including recent ones from this author.  However, there
has been an undercurrent of suspicion from some members of the
community -- suspicion that the IESG is abusive of that discretion
and cannot be trusted.  Those suspicions have, to some extent, been
reinforced by questions about IESG-adopted procedures that seem to
contradict procedures approved by the community and documented in
BCPs.  The community cannot move forward with models based on both
trust and distrust in the IESG's ability, and level of
responsibility, to do its job.  In an attempt to focus this part of
the debate, this document proposes to dramatically narrow IESG's
scope of authority and discretion.

In particular, it proposes to move the IESG, procedurally, onto an

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-process-planb-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-process-planb-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-process-planb-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.