Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:44:58 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Zero Configuration Networking Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Dynamic Configuration of Link-Local IPv4 Addresses
	Author(s)	: B. Aboba
	Filename	: draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-12.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2004-2-5
	
To participate in wide-area IP networking, a host needs to be
configured, either manually by the user or automatically from a
source on the network such as a DHCP server.  Unfortunately, such
external configuration information may not always be available.  It
is therefore beneficial for a host to be able to depend on a useful
subset of IP networking functions even when no configuration is
available.  This document describes how a host may automatically
configure an interface with an IPv4 address within the 169.254/16
prefix that is valid for communication with other devices connected
to the same physical (or logical) link.  Communication using Link-
Local IPv4 addresses is not suitable for communication with devices
not directly connected to the same physical (or logical) link.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-12.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-12.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-12.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.