Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mboned-embeddedrp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:07:21 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the MBONE Deployment Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Embedding the Rendezvous Point (RP) Address in an IPv6 Multicast Address
	Author(s)	: P. Savola, B. Haberman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mboned-embeddedrp-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2004-2-10
	
There exists a huge deployment problem with global, interdomain IPv6
multicast: Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM)
Rendezvous Points (RPs) have no way of communicating the information
about multicast sources to other multicast domains, as there is no
Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP), and the whole interdomain
Any Source Multicast (ASM) model is rendered unusable; Source
Specific Multicast (SSM) avoids these problems but is not considered
readily deployable at the moment.  This memo defines a PIM-SM group-
to-RP mapping which encodes the address of the RP in the IPv6
multicast address. In consequence, there would be no need for
interdomain MSDP, and even intra-domain RP configuration could be
simplified. This memo updates RFC 3306.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-embeddedrp-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mboned-embeddedrp-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-embeddedrp-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.