Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-poretsky-mpls-protection-meth-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:34:33 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Benchmarking Methodology for MPLS Protection Mechanisms
	Author(s)	: S. Poretsky
	Filename	: draft-poretsky-mpls-protection-meth-02.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2004-2-16
	
This draft describes the methodology for benchmarking MPLS 
protection mechanisms.  An overview of existing MPLS Protection 
terminology and functionality is provided as as background for the 
methodology.  The methodology can be applied to any MPLS Protection
mechanism such as Headend Reroute, Standby LSP, Fast Reroute Detour 
Mode, and Fast Reroute Bypass Mode.  The data plane is measured to 
obtain the benchmarking metrics.  Discussion is included to explain 
the differences between MPLS Protection mechanisms, the network 
events that cause failover, and the benefits of measuring the data 
plane for black-box MPLS Protection benchmarking.   Measurements can
be used to compare failover performance of different Label-Switched 
Routers and evaluate the different MPLS protection mechanisms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-mpls-protection-meth-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-poretsky-mpls-protection-meth-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-poretsky-mpls-protection-meth-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.