Subject: RFC 3691 on Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) UNSELECT command

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:05:32 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3691

        Title:      Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) UNSELECT
                    command
        Author(s):  A. Melnikov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       February 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 8436
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3691.txt

This document defines an UNSELECT command that can be used to close
the current mailbox in an Internet Message Access Protocol - version 4
(IMAP4) session without expunging it.  Certain types of IMAP clients
need to release resources associated with the selected mailbox without
selecting a different mailbox.  While IMAP4 provides this
functionality (via a SELECT command with a nonexistent mailbox name or
reselecting the same mailbox with EXAMINE command), a more clean
solution is desirable.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.