Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:55:09 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) '
   <draft-ietf-eap-rfc2284bis-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Extensible Authentication Protocol Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   This document defines the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP),
   an authentication framework which supports multiple authentication
   methods.  EAP typically runs directly over data link layers such as
   PPP or IEEE 802, without requiring IP.  EAP provides its own support
   for duplicate elimination and retransmission, but is reliant on lower
   layer ordering guarantees.  Fragmentation is not supported within EAP
   itself; however, individual EAP methods may support this.

Working Group Summary
 
   This document is a product of the EAP WG.  It has been extensively
   reviewed by the WG and updated to reflect comments from several
   WG last calls.  The -07 version also includes updates to address
   issues raised in IETF last call.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman