Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-martin-isis-local-protect-cap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:16:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: ISIS Extensions for Signaling Local Protection 
                          Capabilities
	Author(s)	: A. Atlas
	Filename	: draft-martin-isis-local-protect-cap-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2004-2-9
	
This document specifies additional information that can inserted in
IS-IS LSPs to convey link capabilities that may be useful in certain
applications.  In particular, an IS may indicate that zero or more of
its links may be used by an upstream IS as an alternate, SPT-disjoint
path to an arbitrary destination D.  Additionally, an IS may convey
that zero or more of its links are capable of breaking a U-turn, which
may be described as a single-hop forwarding loop between two IS's.
This means that a router can detect the presence of a forwarding loop
by recognizing that traffic to a destination is being received from a
neighbor to which it has forwarding state pointing back to the same
neighbor for that destination.  In such a situation, it will switch to
a loop-free node-protecting alternate until new primary forwarding
state has been installed, thus breaking the U-turn.  Therefore, the
immediate applicability for these two link capabilities is in support
of local protection in the event of a link and/or node failure while
the IS-IS area is reconverging onto a new topology.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-martin-isis-local-protect-cap-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-martin-isis-local-protect-cap-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-martin-isis-local-protect-cap-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.