Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-white-pathconsiderations-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 16:08:29 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Considerations in Validating the Path in Routing Protocols
	Author(s)	: R. White
	Filename	: draft-white-pathconsiderations-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2004-2-9
	
A good deal of consideration has gone into, and is currently being  given to, validating the path to a destination advertised by an
adjacent router or peer, such as [S-BGP], [SOBGP], and [IRV]. Since
much of this effort has been focused on BGP, this draft discusses
some issues with this work in terms of BGP.

The theory advanced by this draft is that the AS Path of a received
advertisement can only be validated, or proven 'correct', in one
respect: that the advertiser has at least one known path to the
destination advertised. A participant in a path vector routing
protocol cannot verify (1) whether the path a packet takes to its
destination corresponds to the path advertised by the routing
protocol, or (2) whether the chosen path is in accordance with the
policies of other ASes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-white-pathconsiderations-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-white-pathconsiderations-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-white-pathconsiderations-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.