Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iponair-dna-polimand-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:40:48 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Policy Based Mobile IP Handoff Decision (POLIMAND)
	Author(s)	: S. Aust
	Filename	: draft-iponair-dna-polimand-01.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2004-2-18
	
A hand-off is the process during which a node is handed off between 
two mobility agents. Mobile IP hand-offs occur as a consequence of 
lower layer (i. e., link-layer) hand-offs that signify a location 
switch between two IP networks. For the duration of a Mobile IP 
hand-off, a mobile node is unable to send or receive traffic. The 
length of this disruption is considered critical because it can 
affect the performance of communications. An additional factor that 
is closely bound with that of Mobile IP hand-offs is that of agent 
selection. That involves the selection of the most suitable mobility 
agent from which a mobile node should receive service. 
With the help of link-layer information such as signal strength,    signal quality and throughput it is possible to accelerate Mobile IP 
hand-offs on one side and on the other to lead to the selection of 
the best possible mobility agent. This draft describes a policy 
based Mobile IP handoff decision method (POLIMAND) that allows for 
enhanced Mobile IP handoffs and optimal agent selection based on 
link layer information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iponair-dna-polimand-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-iponair-dna-polimand-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-iponair-dna-polimand-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.