Subject: Document Action: 'Restart signaling for IS-IS' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:15:52 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Restart signaling for IS-IS '
   <draft-ietf-isis-restart-05.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alex Zinin and Bill Fenner.

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes a mechanism that helps to avoid unnecessary
 disruption in an IS-IS domain when a router reloads. The mechanism 
 ensures correct database synchronization and final convergence of 
 the routing algorithm.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 The specification went through a substential technical review by the WG.
 There was a consensus within a WG on this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 The documents has been reviewed by the Routing Area Directorate (Chris 
 Hopps and Jeff Parker) and Alex Zinin.

RFC Editor Note

Section 1. "Conventions used in this document", paras 2 and 3:

OLD:

   If the control and forwarding functions in a router can be
   maintained independently, it is possible for the forwarding function 
   state to be maintained across a control function restart. This 
   functionality is assumed when the terms "restart/restarting" are 
   used in this document. 

   The terms "start/starting" are used to refer to a router in which 
   the control function has either been started for the first time or 
   has been restarted but the forwarding functions have not been 
   maintained in a prior state. 

NEW:

   If the control and forwarding functions in a router can be
   maintained independently, it is possible for the forwarding function
   state to be maintained across a resumption of control function
   operations. This functionality is assumed when the terms 
   "restart/restarting" are used in this document.

   The terms "start/starting" are used to refer to a router in which
   the control function has either commenced operations for the first time 
   or has resumed operations but the forwarding functions have not been
   maintained in a prior state."