Subject: RFC 3696 on Application Techniques for Checking and Transformation of Names

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:04:45 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3696

        Title:      Application Techniques for Checking and
                    Transformation of Names
        Author(s):  J. Klensin
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 39238
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-klensin-name-filters-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3696.txt

Many Internet applications have been designed to deduce top-level
domains (or other domain name labels) from partial information.  The
introduction of new top-level domains, especially non-country-code
ones, has exposed flaws in some of the methods used by these
applications.  These flaws make it more difficult, or impossible, for
users of the applications to access the full Internet.  This memo
discusses some of the techniques that have been used and gives some
guidance for minimizing their negative impact as the domain name
environment evolves.  This document draws summaries of the applicable
rules together in one place and supplies references to the actual
standards.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.