Subject: RFC 3676 on The Text/Plain Format and DelSp Parameters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:47:37 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3676

        Title:      The Text/Plain Format and DelSp Parameters
        Author(s):  R. Gellens
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       February 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 42441
        Obsoletes:  2646

        I-D Tag:    draft-gellens-format-bis-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3676.txt

This specification establishes two parameters (Format and DelSP) to
be used with the Text/Plain media type.  In the presence of these
parameters, trailing whitespace is used to indicate flowed lines and
a canonical quote indicator is used to indicate quoted lines.  This
results in an encoding which appears as normal Text/Plain in older
implementations, since it is in fact normal Text/Plain, yet provides
for superior wrapping/flowing, and quoting.

This document supersedes the one specified in RFC 2646, "The
Text/Plain Format Parameter", and adds the DelSp parameter to
accommodate languages/coded character sets in which ASCII spaces are
not used or appear rarely.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.