Subject: Protocol Action: 'SCTP Partial Reliability Extension' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:13:06 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'SCTP Partial Reliability Extension '
   <draft-ietf-tsvwg-prsctp-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary
 
PR-SCTP provides an enhancement to the Stream Control Transmission Protocol 
(SCTP) that allows an SCTP endpoint to signal to its peer that it should mov
the cumulative ack point forward. This allows SCTP to provides its users 
(upper layer protocols) with a partially reliable transport service. By 
informing a peer that it should no longer expect to receive one or more DATA 
chunks, SCTP endpoints can enforce their own rules governing retransmission 
of data. One potential application of this, which is described in the 
document, is a "timed reliability" service that specifies a maximum duration 
of time for which retransmission should be attempted.
  
Working Group Summary
 
The TSVWG working group supported the advancement of this document, and 
substantial review was performed by participants in the WG.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.