Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mahy-simple-why-session-mode-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:53:49 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Benefits and Motivation for Session Mode Instant Messaging
	Author(s)	: R. Mahy
	Filename	: draft-mahy-simple-why-session-mode-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2004-2-10
	
The SIMPLE working group describes one or more messages sent
   completely independently as 'pager-mode' messages, whereas messaging
   associated with as part of a 'session' with a definite start and end
   is called session mode messaging.  The SIMPLE community has received
   numerous comments and complaints from the larger IM community that
   session mode is more complex than pager mode messaging.  However,
   session mode messaging has a number of benefits which are not
   available in pager mode, but these benefits have not been widely
   articulated and this value is not well understood outside the SIP/
   SIMPLE community. This document attempts to describe the benefits of
   session mode, such as explicit rendezvous, integration with other
   media, direct client-to-client operation, and brokered privacy and
   security, in an accessible manner.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mahy-simple-why-session-mode-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mahy-simple-why-session-mode-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mahy-simple-why-session-mode-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.