Subject: 59th IETF - Visa information

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:20:05 -0500

In discussions with the Korean Ministry and Consulate, we have been 
told the following:

1.  U.S. citizens traveling to Korea to attend the IETF meeting in 
Seoul do not need a visa, as they are traveling to attend a technical, 
non-profit conference. They can stay in Korea up to 30 days for such 
purposes and for tourism.

2.  A visa is required if traveling to Korea for business purposes, 
such as meeting customers or other business purposes.

3.  U.S. government employees going to Korea as individuals to attend 
a technical, non-profit conference such as IETF or for tourist purposes 
do not need a visa so long as they are going as private citizens. U.S. 
government employees going to Korea for official purposes do need a visa.

We are waiting for an official letter from the Korean Consulate in 
Washington, DC stating the above.  As soon as we receive this letter, we 
will send out a notice as well as post it on the 59th IETF Meeting Web 
page.   You will be able to run off a copy of the letter and take it with 
you in case you need it for Korean Immigrations.

On your arrival card for Korea, state that you are attending a technical 
conference.  This should suffice.  If you are asked for additional 
information, then present the letter at that time.

The Ministry of Korea has a web site on visa requirements at: 
http://www.mofat.go.kr/en/visa/e_visa.mof