Subject: WG Action: IKEv2 Mobility and Multihoming (mobike)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:38:28 -0500

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Security Area.  For additional information, 
please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

IKEv2 Mobility and Multihoming (mobike)
---------------------------------------

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Security Area Director(s):
Russell Housley <[email-masked]>
Steven Bellovin <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
Russell Housley <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo/mobike
Archive: 

Description of Working Group:

The IKE Mobility working group will focus on the extensions to the
IKEv2 protocol required to enable its use in the context where there
are multiple IP addresses per host (multihoming, SCTP) or where the IP
addresses changes in the control of the IPsec host (mobility and
roaming).

The main scenario is making it possible for a VPN user to move from
one address to another without re-establishing all security
associations, or to use multiple interfaces simultaenously, such as
where WLAN and GPRS are used simultaneously. It is also intended that
the extensions produced by the WG would address specific needs related
to other work in IETF, such as modification of SCTP end points without
renegotiation of the security associations or the movement of
IKEv2-based secure connections to enable Mobile IP signaling to take
place.

An explicit non-goal is the construction of a fully fledged mobility
protocol. In particular, the WG shall NOT develop mechanisms for the
following functions:

o Hiding of mobility from transport layer protocols or applications
  (beyond what already exists through the use of the tunnel mode). In
  this respect MOBIKE is different from Mobile IP, HIP, and other
  mobility protocols.

o IP address changes done by third parties (NATs, firewalls etc). In
  particular, MOBIKE shall not replace or modify IKEv2 NAT traversal
  function. MOBIKE handles IP address changes initiated by one of the
  endpoints of the security associations. NAT traversal handles other
  address changes. MOBIKE should not be tightly coupled with the NAT
  traversal function, but it is necessary to specify in which cases
  (if any) they can be used together, and how they interact.

o Opportunistic authentication or other tools for the reduction of
  configuration effort. The mechanisms specified in this WG are to be
  designed for the traditional VPN use case only.

o Any optimization of packet routing paths due to mobility.

o Load balancing. Multihoming is supported only in the sense of
  failing over to another interface; sending traffic over multiple
  addresses using the same SA is not supported.

o Use of IKEv1.

Work Items

The goals of the MOBIKE working group are to address the
following issues:

(1) IKEv2 mobile IP support for IKE SAs. Support for changing and
    authenticating the IKE SA endpoints IP addresses as requested by
    the host.

(2) Updating IPsec SA gateway addresses. Support for changing the IP
    address associated to the tunnel mode IPsec SAs already in
    place, so that further traffic is sent to the new gateway
    address.

(3) Multihoming support for IKEv2. Support for multiple IP addresses
    for IKEv2 SAs, and IPsec SAs created by the IKEv2. This should
    also include support for the multiple IP address for SCTP
    transport. This should also work together with the first two
    items, i.e those addresses should be able to be updated too.

(4) Verification of changed or added IP addresses. Provide way to
    verify IP address either using static information, information
    from certificates, or through the use of a return routability
    mechanism.

(5) Reduction of header overhead involved with mobility-related
    tunnels. This is a performance requirement in wireless
    environments.

(6) Specification of PFKEY extensions to support the IPsec SA
    movements and tunnel overhead reduction.

Goals and Milestones:

 Feb 04 Publish first draft on 
 Jun 04 Submit IKEv2 Address Update document to IESG for Proposed Standard RFC 
 Jun 04 Publish first draft on 
 Sep 04 Submit Reduced Tunnel Overhead Mode for IPsec to IESG for Informational RFC 
 Sep 04 Publish first draft on 
 Dec 04 Submit PFKEY Extension for Address Updates document to IESG for Informational RFC