Subject: RFC 3708 on Using TCP Duplicate Selective Acknowledgement (DSACKs) and Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Duplicate Transmission Sequence Numbers (TSNs) to Detect Spurious Retransmissions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:51:37 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3708

        Title:      Using TCP Duplicate Selective Acknowledgement
                    (DSACKs) and Stream Control Transmission Protocol
                    (SCTP) Duplicate Transmission Sequence Numbers
                    (TSNs) to Detect Spurious Retransmissions
        Author(s):  E. Blanton, M. Allman
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       February 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 20818
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-dsack-use-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3708.txt

TCP and Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) provide
notification of duplicate segment receipt through Duplicate Selective
Acknowledgement (DSACKs) and Duplicate Transmission Sequence Number
(TSN) notification, respectively.  This document presents conservative
methods of using this information to identify unnecessary
retransmissions for various applications.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.