Subject: RFC 3682 on The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:48:53 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3682

        Title:      The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM)
        Author(s):  V. Gill, J. Heasley, D. Meyer
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       February 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 23321
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-gill-gtsh-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3682.txt

The use of a packet's Time to Live (TTL) (IPv4) or Hop Limit (IPv6) to
protect a protocol stack from CPU-utilization based attacks has been
proposed in many settings (see for example, RFC 2461).  This document
generalizes these techniques for use by other protocols such as BGP
(RFC 1771), Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP), Bidirectional
Forwarding Detection, and Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) (RFC
3036).  While the Generalized TTL Security Mechanism (GTSM) is most
effective in protecting directly connected protocol peers, it can also
provide a lower level of protection to multi-hop sessions.  GTSM is
not directly applicable to protocols employing flooding mechanisms
(e.g., multicast), and use of multi-hop GTSM should be considered on a
case-by-case basis.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.