Subject: RFC 3706 on A Traffic-Based Method of Detecting Dead Internet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:55:56 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3706

        Title:      A Traffic-Based Method of Detecting Dead Internet
                    Key Exchange (IKE) Peers
        Author(s):  G. Huang, S. Beaulieu, D. Rochefort
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       February 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 30196
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsec-dpd-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3706.txt

This document describes the method detecting a dead Internet Key
Exchange (IKE) peer that is presently in use by a number of vendors.
The method, called Dead Peer Detection (DPD) uses IPSec traffic
patterns to minimize the number of IKE messages that are needed to
confirm liveness.  DPD, like other keepalive mechanisms, is needed to
determine when to perform IKE peer failover, and to reclaim lost
resources.

This document is a product of the IP Security Protocol Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.