Subject: 59th IETF - Terminal Room Information

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:54:43 -0500

This document gives you a brief overview of network services
available at IETF59 in Seoul.

Feedback is welcomed at [email-masked].

Regards,
Woohyong Choi, on behalf of IETF59 NOC Team

--

IETF59 Network Information

Current version of this page
    http://noc.kr.apan.net/ietf59/

Local IETF Mirrors:
    http://www.ietf59.or.kr/
    ftp://ftp.ietf59.or.kr/

Summary

IP network services and terminal room are available 24 hours a day during
the meeting (from Sunday, February 29 at 12 noon to Friday, March 5 at
12 noon).

Gardenia A1 on the 2nd floor is set up as the terminal room. The terminal
room provides wireless and wired connectivity, AC outlets, two printers,
20 Windows XP based notebooks for public use and helpdesk.

For Wireless, 802.11a/b access points are located throughout the hotel.
In-room access is provided by the hotel and not administered by IETF59 NOC.

No firewalls are installed between IETF59 network and the outside world.
Access to multicast is available from the wired network only.

Korea use 220V AC, 60Hz power. Power outlets are compatible with European
plugs just like those you used in Munich and Oslo.

Helpdesk

Helpdesk is located inside the terminal room. Staffed hours are from 8am
till 10pm. Emergency phone number will be posted during the non-staffed
hours. To report trouble, please send your mails to [email-masked].

Security Warning

Never use protocols that use cleartext passwords (such as telnet or non-APOP
POP3). Instead, please use encrypted protocols such as SSH, SSL or IPsec.
It is well-known that people may be sniffing packets on the network as there
is no layer 2 protection povided for the IETF59 network.

Address blocks

218.37.192.0/18
2001:220:101A::/48

DHCP is provided for IPv4, and dynamic autoconfiguration is used for IPv6.

If you need static IPv4 addresses, please inform via email at
[email-masked]. You request should contain the following
information. Name, Email, Number of v4 addresses required, and type(wired,
wireless or both). You can also get the static assignments from the
helpdesk onsite.

Wireless

802.11a/b network is available. Advertised SSID is "ietf59". No double quotes.

Most areas of levels 1, 2, 3, 36 and 37 are covered. Works are underway to
provide access to La Seinne(Buffet restaurant) and Bobby London(Pub) in
B1 level. Results will be posted here when we make any progress.

*Warning* Please do not enable "ad-hoc" modes from your clients.
MacOS users, you MUST NOT use "Create Network..." from your Airport setup.

*Warning* Wireless access from guest rooms are not provided by the IETF59
NOC, but provided by the hotel for fee. We regret that we were unable to
negotiate with the hotel for possible switchover of guest room wireless
into IETF59 network.

IPv6

Access to global IPv6 network is provided to wired and wireless hosts.
Please use dynamic auto configuration.

Public Terminals

There are a total of 20 laptop computers for attendees' use in the terminal
room. All of them are running Windows XP and have Putty SSH client, Office
suite, and Cygwin installed.

Servers

DNS

218.37.196.21, 218.37.196.22 (DHCP will let you know)
2001:220:101A:196::21, 2001:220:101A:196::22

IETF59 network provides dynamic DNS update capability on experimental
basis with IPv4 addresses obtained by DHCP. If your laptop has a FQDN,
then the FQDN is registered in the inverse zone of IETF59. If your
laptop has a non-FQDN hostname, it's registered in both the regular
and inverse zones.

SMTP Relay

smtp.ietf59.or.kr (218.37.196.23 or 2001:220:101A:196::23)

NTP

218.37.196.21, 218.37.196.22

Mirrors

ftp://ftp.ietf59.or.kr mirror of ftp.ietf.org
http://www.ietf59.or.kr mirror of www.ietf.org

Printers

Two HP LaserJet 4300 printers are located in the terminal room.

Only A4 size papers (slightly longer and narrower than letter size) are
available.  If you would like to output on transparencies, please
consult the helpdesk.

Printing service is provided by CUPS implementing Internet Printing
Protocol at ipp://printer.ietf59.or.kr:631/printers/lp

Following platform specific alertnatives are also provided.

Windows:

Select <Start><Settings><Printers and Faxes>. Click the <Add a Printer>
icon to start Add Printer Wizard. Select "A network printer, or a printer
attached to another computer" option and then click the <Next> button.
Select "Connect to this printer" and then enter \\samba.ietf59.or.kr\lp.
Click on the <Next> button to continue. Click on the <Yes> button when
prompted to connect.  (For first-time users, please wait 3-5 minutes for
the printer driver to be download, install and apply to your system.)

To remove mapped printer Select <Start><Settings><Printers and Faxes>.
Select "lp on samba.ietf59.or.kr" from a list of mapped network printers.
Press the "Delete" key and then click on the <Yes> button to remove printer
lp mapping from the server.

LPD:

lp:\
    :lp=:\
    :rm=printer.ietf59.or.kr:\
    :rp=lp:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
    :mx#0:\
    :sh:

Mac:

You'll be able to discover the printer automatically.

Mobile Phones

All three major providers in Korea use CDMA. SK Telecom uses 800MHz CDMA
while LG Telecom and KTF provide services based on 1700MHz CDMA.

Your local provider may have roaming contracts with either of these companies
either by using GSM SIM enabled CDMA handsets or by using CDMA roaming.
CDMA phones can also be rented for nominal fees from the airport. 
Please consult the following pages for more information on roaming or
inbound phone rental.

SK Telecom      http://www.sktelecom.com/skt_roam/english1.html
KTF             http://www.ktfroaming.com/	
LG Telecom      http://www.lgtelecom.com/eng/lgtelecom/company/
                business/lgt_company_business05.jsp

All of these providers have their own counters in Incheon airport.