Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:55:43 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DCLOR: De-correlated Loss Recovery using SACK option
			  for spurious timeouts
	Author(s)	: Y. Swami, K. Le
	Filename	: draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-03.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2004-3-9
	
A spurious timeout in TCP forces the sender to unnecessarily
retransmit one complete congestion window of data into the network.
In addition, TCP uses the rate of arrival of ACKs as the basic
criterion for congestion control. TCP makes the assumption that the
rate at which ACKs are received reflects the end-to-end state of the
network in terms of congestion. However, ACKs after a spurious
timeout don't reflect the end-to-end congestion state of the network;
they only reflect the congestion state of a part of the network. In
these cases, the slow-start behavior after a timeout can further add
to network congestion. In this draft we propose changes to the TCP
sender that can be used to solve the problem of both redundant-
retransmission and network congestion after a spurious timeout.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-swami-tsvwg-tcp-dclor-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.