Subject: BCP 83, RFC 3683 on A Practice for Revoking Posting Rights to IETF Mailing Lists

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:28:30 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 83
        RFC 3683

        Title:      A Practice for Revoking Posting Rights to IETF
                    Mailing Lists
        Author(s):  M. Rose
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       March 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 15698
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-mrose-ietf-posting-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3683.txt

All self-governing bodies have ways of managing the scope of
participant interaction.  The IETF uses a consensus-driven process for
developing computer-communications standards in an open fashion.  An
important part of this consensus-driven process is the pervasive use
of mailing lists for discussion.  Notably, in a small number of cases,
a participant has engaged in a "denial-of-service" attack to disrupt
the consensus-driven process.  Regrettably, as these bad faith attacks
become more common, the IETF needs to establish a practice that
reduces or eliminates these attacks.  This memo recommends such a
practice for use by the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.