Subject: Protocol Action: 'IAB and IESG Selection, Confirmation, and Recall Process: Operation of the Nominating and Recall Committees' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:54:41 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IAB and IESG Selection, Confirmation, and Recall Process: Operation of the 
   Nominating and Recall Committees '
   <draft-ietf-nomcom-rfc2727bis-09.txt> as a BCP

This document is the product of the Operation of the IESG/IAB Nominating and 
Recall Committees Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Harald Alvestrand.

Technical Summary
 
 This document describes the operation of the IETF NomCom.
 This version updates the rules by which the Nomcom process is governed.
 In many cases, ambiguities that had been found in 2727 were resolved.
 In other cases, situations that had been left to the discretion of the
 participants were codified.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 On a lot of issues, there was smooth consensus in the working group.
 On some issues, there was significant controversy, but rough consensus.
 In one case (publication of names of nominees) consensus was not reached,
 and the text remained unchanged from 2727.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 The document has been reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand.

RFC Editor note:

Please change section 5 bullet 7 paragraph 7
OLD:

        If a voting volunteer member is recalled, regardless of the
        circumstances, the committee may choose to proceed with only 9
        voting volunteers at its own discretion.  In all other cases the
        Chair must repeat the random selection process including an
        announcement of the iteration prior to the actual selection as
        stated elsewhere in this document.

NEW:

          If a single voting volunteer position on the Nomcom is
          vacated, regardless of the circumstances, the committee may
          choose to proceed with only 9 voting volunteers at its own
          discretion.  In all other cases a new voting member must be
          selected, and the Chair must repeat the random selection
          process including an announcement of the iteration prior to
          the actual selection as stated elsewhere in this document.