Subject: Protocol Action: 'SMTP Service Extension for Message Tracking' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:21:11 -0500

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'SMTP Service Extension for Message Tracking '
   <draft-ietf-msgtrk-smtpext-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'An Extensible Message Format for Message Tracking Responses '
   <draft-ietf-msgtrk-trkstat-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Message Tracking Query Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-msgtrk-mtqp-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Message Tracking Model and Requirements '
   <draft-ietf-msgtrk-model-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

These documents are products of the Message Tracking Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary

 Message tracking is the ability to find out the path that a 
 particular email message has taken through a messaging infrastructure 
 and the current routing status of that message. This set of documents 
 defines a model for message tracking, an SMTP extension used to control 
 tracking information, and a query protocol that can be used to 
 determine the current status of a specific message.
   
 Working Group Summary
   
 These documents are the product of the Message Tracking Protocol 
 Working Group.
   
 Protocol Quality
   
 Ned Freed reviewed these specifications for the IESG.