Subject: Protocol Action: 'Language Tags and Ranges in LDAP' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:59:45 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Language Tags and Ranges in LDAP '
   <draft-zeilenga-ldap-rfc2596-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary

This document describes how language tags and ranges  are
carried in LDAP and are to be interpreted by LDAP implementations.
It replaces RFC 2596, and it contains signficant changes:
it adds support for language ranges; provides a mechanism
for discovery of  whether a server supports language
tags and ranges;  and it clarifies how attributes with multiple language
tags are to be treated.  The approach described is signficantly
different from the approach in X.500; the document summarizes
those differences in a non-normative appendix.

Working Group Summary
 
This document is not the product of a working group, but it do go
through IETF Last Call; no objections were received.

Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed by Ted Hardie for the IESG.