Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure: Qualified Certificates Profile' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:48:11 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure: Qualified Certificates 
   Profile '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-sonof3039-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Steve Bellovin.

Technical Summary

  Once approved, this document will obsolete RFC 3039.

  This document forms a certificate profile, based on RFC 3280, for
  identity certificates issued to natural persons.  The profile defines
  specific conventions for certificates that are qualified within a
  defined legal framework, referred to as Qualified Certificates.  The
  profile does not define any legal requirements for such Qualified
  Certificates.  One example of such requirements can be found in the
  European Directive on Electronic Signatures.

  The goal of this document is to define a certificate profile that
  supports issuance of Qualified Certificates independent of local legal
  requirements.  The profile is however not limited to Qualified
  Certificates and further profiling may facilitate specific local
  needs.

Working Group Summary

  The PKIX Working Group came to rough consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Russell Housley for the IESG.