Subject: RFC 3714 on IAB Concerns Regarding Congestion Control for Voice Traffic in the Internet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:15:26 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3714

        Title:      IAB Concerns Regarding Congestion Control for
                    Voice Traffic in the Internet
        Author(s):  S. Floyd, J. Kempf, Eds.
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 81368
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-iab-congestion-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3714.txt

This document discusses IAB concerns about effective end-to-end
congestion control for best-effort voice traffic in the Internet.
These concerns have to do with fairness, user quality, and with the
dangers of congestion collapse.  The concerns are particularly
relevant in light of the absence of a widespread Quality of Service
(QoS) deployment in the Internet, and the likelihood that this
situation will not change much in the near term.  This document is not
making any recommendations about deployment paths for Voice over
Internet Protocol (VoIP) in terms of QoS support, and is not claiming
that best-effort service can be relied upon to give acceptable
performance for VoIP.  We are merely observing that voice traffic is
occasionally deployed as best-effort traffic over some links in the
Internet, that we expect this occasional deployment to continue, and
that we have concerns about the lack of effective end-to-end
congestion control for this best-effort voice traffic. 

This document is a product of the IAB.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.