Subject: BCP 84, RFC 3704 on Ingress Filtering for Multihomed Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:52:50 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 84
        RFC 3704

        Title:      Ingress Filtering for Multihomed Networks
        Author(s):  F. Baker, P. Savola
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       March 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 35942
        Updates:    2827
        SeeAlso:    BCP 84

        I-D Tag:    draft-savola-bcp38-multihoming-update-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3704.txt

BCP 38, RFC 2827, is designed to limit the impact of distributed
denial of service attacks, by denying traffic with spoofed addresses
access to the network, and to help ensure that traffic is traceable
to its correct source network.  As a side effect of protecting the
Internet against such attacks, the network implementing the solution
also protects itself from this and other attacks, such as spoofed
management access to networking equipment.  There are cases when this
may create problems, e.g., with multihoming.  This document describes
the current ingress filtering operational mechanisms, examines
generic issues related to ingress filtering, and delves into the
effects on multihoming in particular.  This memo updates RFC 2827.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.