Subject: RFC 3715 on IPsec-Network Address Translation (NAT) Compatibility Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:31:59 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3715

        Title:      IPsec-Network Address Translation (NAT)
                    Compatibility Requirements
        Author(s):  B. Aboba, W. Dixon
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 43476
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipsec-nat-reqts-06.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3715.txt

This document describes known incompatibilities between Network
Address Translation (NAT) and IPsec, and describes the requirements
for addressing them.  Perhaps the most common use of IPsec is in
providing virtual private networking capabilities.  One very popular
use of Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) is to provide telecommuter
access to the corporate Intranet.  Today, NATs are widely deployed in
home gateways, as well as in other locations likely to be used by
telecommuters, such as hotels.  The result is that IPsec-NAT
incompatibilities have become a major barrier in the deployment of
IPsec in one of its principal uses.

This document is a product of the IP Security Protocol Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.