Subject: Creation of an I-D-Announce Mailing List

From: The IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:03:37 -0500

Dear IETF-Announce Subscribers:

As you are aware, the preponderance of messages sent to the IETF-Announce 
mailing list are I-D Action announcements, the messages that inform the 
community that a new Internet-Draft has been posted to the IETF Web 
site.  To better serve you, the IETF Secretariat is creating a separate 
mailing list, I-D-Announce, expressly for this purpose.  Postings to the 
I-D-Announce mailing list will be limited to I-D Action 
announcements.  All other announcements will continue to be sent to the 
IETF-Announce list.

I-D-Announce will be created as a Mailman list.  At the same time, the 
existing IETF-Announce list will be migrated from Majordomo to Mailman.

The transition from the current IETF-Announce list to the I-D-Announce and 
new IETF-Announce lists will be implemented in four steps:

- Step 1: Create I-D-Announce and IETF-Announce Mailman lists with the 
same subscribers as the existing IETF-Announce mailing list.  Step 1 has 
been completed.

- Step 2: Provide instructions to current IETF-Announce subscribers 
regarding how to *unsubscribe* to each of these lists should they wish to 
do so prior to the split.  Step 2 is now in progress.

Instructions for unsubscribing to the I-D-Announce and new IETF-Announce 
lists are available at http://www.ietf.org/new-announce-list.html.  
If you wish to continue to receive 
all types of announcements, then you need do nothing (since you are 
currently subscribed to both lists).  If you wish to receive all 
announcements except for I-D Action announcements, then you must 
unsubscribe to the I-D-Announce list.  Finally, if you wish to receive 
only I-D Action announcements, then you must unsubscribe to the 
IETF-Announce list.

- Step 3: Activate the I-D-Announce and new IETF-Announce lists, and 
modify internal procedures so that all I-D Action announcements go to the 
I-D Announce list.

- Step 4: Update the pages on the IETF Web site that refer to 
IETF-Announce to reflect the existence of I-D-Announce as well.

All messages will continue to be sent to the existing IETF-Announce list 
until 9:00 am ET on March 30, 2004, which is one week from 
today.  Steps 3 and 4 will be implemented at that time.

If you wish to comment on this change in procedures, then please send a 
message to [email-masked].

The IETF Secretariat.