Subject: RFC 3701 on 6bone (IPv6 Testing Address Allocation) Phaseout

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:52:30 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3701

        Title:      6bone (IPv6 Testing Address Allocation) Phaseout
        Author(s):  R. Fink, R. Hinden
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 12019
        Obsoletes:  2471

        I-D Tag:    draft-fink-6bone-phaseout-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3701.txt

The 6bone was established in 1996 by the IETF as an IPv6 Testbed
network to enable various IPv6 testing as well as to assist in the
transitioning of IPv6 into the Internet.  It operates under the IPv6
address allocation 3FFE::/16 from RFC 2471.  As IPv6 is beginning its
production deployment it is appropriate to plan for the phaseout of
the 6bone.  This document establishes a plan for a multi-year phaseout
of the 6bone and its address allocation on the assumption that the
IETF is the appropriate place to determine this.

This document obsoletes RFC 2471, "IPv6 Testing Address
Allocation", December, 1998.  RFC 2471 will become historic.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.