Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:19:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: FTP/TLS Friendly Firewalls
	Author(s)	: P. Ford-Hutchinson
	Filename	: draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-04.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2004-3-11
	
This document discusses some of the issues with running FTP, secured
with TLS as defined in [FTP-TLS], through firewalls.  FTP is known to
be a bit of a problem for firewalls (see [RFC-1579] for a discussion
of normal FTP and firewalls).  Some of the problems have been fixed
by adding intelligence into the firewall.  With secured FTP, where
the control connection is encrypted, some of these techniques fail.
Whilst this document confines itself to issues of FTP over TLS, the
issues will probably be relevant for most secured FTP protocols that
conform to [RFC-2228].  Some of the discussions will also be relevant
to any protocol that firewalls do clever things with.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-04.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-fordh-ftp-ssl-firewall-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.