Subject: Last Call: 'A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)' to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:29:24 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG to consider
the following set of documents updating the Border Gateway Protocol 4
specification.

BGP4 protocol-related documents:

- 'A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4) '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-23.txt> as a Draft Standard
- 'BGP Security Vulnerabilities Analysis '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-vuln-00.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'BGP-4 Protocol Analysis '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-analysis-04.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'Experience with the BGP-4 Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-experience-protocol-03.txt> as an Informational RFC

BGP4 MIB-related documents:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fourth Version of Border Gateway 
   Protocol (BGP-4) '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-13.txt> as a Proposed Standard

Implementation reports:

- 'BGP 4 Implementation Report '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-implementation-00.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'BGP MIB V1 implementation survey '
   <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-mibagent-survey-00.txt> as an Informational RFC

The documents above satisfy the standardization criteria for Routing 
Protocols described in RFC 1264.

Since draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-23.txt specifies the TCP MD5 Signature Option (RFC
2385), which is a Proposed Standard, as the mandatory to implement
authentication mechanism, the IESG is planning to apply the variance 
procedure per RFC 2026 to allow the BGP4 protocol specification at the Draft
Standard level to have a normative reference to RFC 2385. The variance 
prodedure request is documented in the following document:

- 'Standards Maturity Variance Regarding the TCP MD5 Signature Option (RFC 
   2385) and the BGP-4 Specification '
   <draft-iesg-tcpmd5app-00.txt> as an Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2004-04-13.

The files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-23.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-vuln-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-analysis-04.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-experience-protocol-
03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-13.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iesg-tcpmd5app-00.txt

Implementation Reports can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-implementation-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-mibagent-survey-00.tx