Subject: RFC 3738 on Wave and Equation Based Rate Control (WEBRC) Building Block

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:56:45 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3738

        Title:      Wave and Equation Based Rate Control (WEBRC)
                    Building Block
        Author(s):  M. Luby, V. Goyal
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       April 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      32
        Characters: 82584
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmt-bb-webrc-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3738.txt

This document specifies Wave and Equation Based Rate Control (WEBRC),
which provides rate and congestion control for data delivery.  WEBRC
is specifically designed to support protocols using IP multicast.  It
provides multiple-rate, congestion-controlled delivery to receivers,
i.e., different receivers joined to the same session may be receiving
packets at different rates depending on the bandwidths of their
individual connections to the sender and on competing traffic along
these connections.  WEBRC requires no feedback from receivers to the
sender, i.e., it is a completely receiver-driven congestion control
protocol.  Thus, it is designed to scale to potentially massive
numbers of receivers attached to a session from a single
sender.  Furthermore, because each individual receiver adjusts to the
available bandwidth between the sender and that receiver, there is the
potential to deliver data to each individual receiver at the fastest
possible rate for that receiver, even in a highly heterogeneous
network architecture, using a single sender.

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.