Subject: Protocol Action: 'Bootstrapping Clients using the iSCSI Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:51:35 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Bootstrapping Clients using the iSCSI Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-boot-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Storage Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary
 
   This specification describes a standard mechanism to enable clients to
   bootstrap themselves using the iSCSI protocol.  The goal of this
   standard is to enable iSCSI boot clients to obtain the information to
   open an iSCSI session with the iSCSI boot server. It is possible that
   all the information is not available at the very outset, so the memo
   describes steps to obtain the information required to bootstrap
   clients off an iSCSI boot server.  Since iSCSI allows a general Internet
   to be interposed between the clients and server, a secure design is
   introduced for these steps.

Working Group Summary
 
 The original version of the boot protocol was found by Security Area 
 to have serious security flaws and was returned to the working group 
 for an overhaul.  A design team developed a completely new approach 
 during an intensive effort, developed working group consensus in 
 several careful sessions, and discussed (also with care) the
 issues of implementability.  There was good agreement by 
 and members of the SCSI standards community that  this solution
 would be adopted and implemented.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 The specification was reviewed for the IESG by the Operations 
 Directorate and Allison Mankin.  Margaret Wasserman reviewed the
 IPv6 issues.  Bernard Aboba led the effort in response to the the first
 IESG review.

RFC Editor Notes

Section 5 -

OLD:
   An iSCSI boot client which does not know its IP address at power-on
   may acquire its IP address via BOOTP or DHCP (v4 or v6).
NEW:
   An iSCSI boot client which does not know its IP address at power-on
   may acquire its IP address via BOOTP or DHCP (v4 or v6), or
   via IPv6 address autoconfiguration.

OLD:

   This is done using the variable length option named Root Path.

NEW:

   This is done using the variable length option named Root Path
   [Alexander93, Reynolds93].

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce