Subject: RFC 3750 on Unmanaged Networks IPv6 Transition Scenarios

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:22:50 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3750

        Title:      Unmanaged Networks IPv6 Transition Scenarios
        Author(s):  C. Huitema, R. Austein, S. Satapati,
                    R. van der Pol
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       April 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 48153
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-unman-scenarios-03.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3750.txt

This document defines the scenarios in which IPv6 transition
mechanisms are to be used in unmanaged networks.  In order to evaluate
the suitability of these mechanisms, we need to define the scenarios
in which these mechanisms have to be used.  One specific scope is the
"unmanaged network", which typically corresponds to a home or small
office network.  The scenarios are specific to a single subnet, and
are defined in terms of IP connectivity supported by the gateway and
the Internet Service Provider (ISP).  We first examine the generic 
requirements of four classes of applications: local, client, peer to
peer and server.  Then, for each scenario, we infer transition
requirements by analyzing the needs for smooth migration of
applications from IPv4 to IPv6.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the
IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.