Subject: RFC 3741 on Exclusive XML Canonicalization, Version 1.0

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:31:40 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3741

        Title:      Exclusive XML Canonicalization, Version 1.0
        Author(s):  J. Boyer, D. Eastlake 3rd, J. Reagle
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       March 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 35403
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-xmldsig-xc14n-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3741.txt

Canonical XML specifies a standard serialization of XML
that, when applied to a subdocument, includes the subdocument's
ancestor context including all of the namespace declarations and
attributes in the "xml:" namespace.  However, some applications
require a method which, to the extent practical, excludes ancestor
context from a canonicalized subdocument.  For example, one might
require a digital signature over an XML payload (subdocument) in an
XML message that will not break when that subdocument is removed from
its original message and/or inserted into a different context.  This
requirement is satisfied by Exclusive XML Canonicalization.

This document is a product of the XML Digital Signatures Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.