Subject: RFC 3782 on The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery Algorithm

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:13:33 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3782

        Title:      The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery
                    Algorithm
        Author(s):  S. Floyd, T. Henderson, A. Gurtov
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       April 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 49603
        Obsoletes:  2582

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-newreno-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3782.txt

The purpose of this document is to advance NewReno TCP's  Fast
Retransmit and Fast Recovery algorithms in RFC 2582 from Experimental
to Standards Track status.

The main change in this document relative to RFC 2582 is to specify
the Careful variant of NewReno's Fast Retransmit and Fast Recovery
algorithms.  The base algorithm described in RFC 2582 did not attempt
to avoid unnecessary multiple Fast Retransmits that can occur after a
timeout.  However, RFC 2582 also defined "Careful" and "Less Careful"
variants that avoid these unnecessary Fast Retransmits, and
recommended the Careful variant.  This document specifies the
previously-named "Careful" variant as the basic version of NewReno
TCP.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group of the
IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.