Subject: Protocol Action: 'LDAP Cancel Operation' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:21:06 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'LDAP Cancel Operation '
   <draft-zeilenga-ldap-cancel-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary
 
The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) [RFC3377] provides an
  Abandon operation [RFC2251] which clients may use to cancel other
  operations.  The Abandon operation does not have a response and calls
  for there to be no response of the abandoned operation.  These
  semantics provide the client with no clear indication of the outcome
  of the Abandon operation.   The LDAP Cancel operation should be used 
   instead of the LDAP Abandon operation when the client needs an indication
  of the outcome.  This operation may be used to cancel both interrogation 
  and update operations.
 
Working Group Summary

This is an individual submission, but there are working group documents
 (e.g. the LDUP working group's LCUP specification) which depend on it.
 There were no issues raised during Last Call, and the IETF LDAP community
 seems to be in favor adopting this mechanism as a parallel mechanism
 to the DAP abandon operation.
  
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce