Subject: RFC 3720 on Internet Small Computer Systems Interface (iSCSI)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:57:21 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3720

        Title:      Internet Small Computer Systems Interface (iSCSI)
        Author(s):  J. Satran, K. Meth, C. Sapuntzakis,
                    M. Chadalapaka, E. Zeidner
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       April 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      257
        Characters: 578468
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-20.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3720.txt

This document describes a transport protocol for Internet Small
Computer Systems Interface (iSCSI) that works on top of TCP.  The
iSCSI protocol aims to be fully compliant with the standardized SCSI
architecture model.

SCSI is a popular family of protocols that enable systems to
communicate with I/O devices, especially storage devices.  SCSI
protocols are request/response application protocols with a common
standardized architecture model and basic command set, as well as
standardized command sets for different device classes (disks, tapes,
media-changers etc.).

As system interconnects move from the classical bus structure to a
network structure, SCSI has to be mapped to network transport
protocols.  IP networks now meet the performance requirements of
fast system interconnects and as such are good candidates to "carry"
SCSI.

This document is a product of the IP Storage Working Group of the
IETF. 

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.