Subject: Re: Informational RFC to be: draft-arkko-map-doi-08.txt

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:16:08 -0400

The IESG has no problem with the publication of 'The Mobile Application 
Part SECurity (MAPSEC) Domain of Interpretation (DOI) for the Internet 
Security Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP)' 
<draft-arkko-map-doi-08.txt> as an Informational RFC. 

The IESG contact person is Russ Housley.

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

  The Mobile Application Part (MAP) protocol is a signaling protocol for
  cellular networks.  The MAP Security (MAPSEC) protocol provides a
  secure way to transport MAP messages.  To use MAPSEC, however,
  Security Associations (SAs) are needed.  This document defines how
  such SAs can be created automatically.  We use the Internet Security
  Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP) as a framework for
  managing SAs and establishing keys.  The framework can be specialized
  to a particular task.  Such a specialization is called a Domain of
  Interpretation (DOI), and this document defines the MAPSEC DOI.  This
  specialization is very similar to the Internet Key Exchange protocol
  and the ISAKMP specialization for IP Security, except that SAs for use
  with non-IP protocols are being negotiated.

End-run Review

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

IESG Note

  This document is not a candidate for any level of Internet
  Standard.  The IETF disclaims any knowledge of the fitness of this
  document for any purpose, and in particular notes that it has not
  had IETF review for such things as security, congestion control or
  inappropriate interaction with deployed protocols.  The RFC Editor
  has chosen to publish this document at its discretion.  Readers of
  this document should exercise caution in evaluating its value for
  implementation and deployment.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:16:08 -0400

Thank you,

The IESG Secretary

Technical Summary

End-run Review

IESG Note