Subject: WG Review: RADIUS Extensions (radext)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:30:19 -0400

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Operations and Management Area. 
The IESG has not made any determination as yet. The following description was 
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your 
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by May 26th.

RADIUS Extensions (radext)
---------------------------

Current Staus: Proposed Working Group

Description of Working Group:

The RADIUS Extensions Working Group will focus on extensions to the
RADIUS protocol required to enable its use in applications
such as IP telephony and Local Area Network authentication, authorization
and accounting.

In order to ensure backward compatibility with existing RADIUS
implementations, as well as compatibility between RADIUS and Diameter, the
following restrictions are imposed on extensions considered by the RADEXT
WG:

- All RADIUS work MUST be backward compatible with existing RADIUS RFCs,
    including RFCs 2618-2621, 2865-2869, 3162, 3575, 3576, 3579, and 3580.
- All RADIUS work MUST be compatible with equivalent facilities in
    Diameter. Where possible, new attributes should be defined so that
    the same attribute can be used in both RADIUS and Diameter without
    translation. In other cases a translation considerations
    section should be included in the specification.
- No new RADIUS transports (e.g. TCP, SCTP) will be defined.

Work Items

The immediate goals of the RADEXT working group are to address the
following issues:

- RADIUS design guidelines. This document will provide guidelines
    for design of RADIUS attributes, including discussion of the
    appropriate use of RADIUS SDO-Specific Attributes (SSAs). This
    document will also review RADIUS data types and associated
    backwards compatibility issues.

- RADIUS implementation issues and fixes. This document will
    address common RADIUS implementation issues and describe
    proposed solutions.

- Revised NAI specification. This document, known as "RFC 2486bis"
    will revise the NAI specification to correct known errors,
    add support for privacy and internationalization, and provide
    more details on routing.

- Pre-paid support. Prepaid services are contemplated in a number
    of potential applications, including wireless LAN access and IP
    telephony. In order to enable support of pre-paid services in an
    interoperable way, the WG will provide definitions of the
    attributes required to support operator service models for
    pre-paid, as documented in liaison communications. This document will
    include within it a specification for interoperation with
    Diameter Credit Control.

- SIP support. RADIUS is currently used for SIP authentication,
    authorization and accounting. Standardization of these attributes
    will enable improved interoperability.

    This document will be upwards compatible with the Diameter SIP
    application, and conform to existing IETF RFCs on HTTP Digest,
    including RFC 2617, 3261, and 3310.

- LAN attributes. New attributes have been proposed to enable use of
    authentication, authorization and accounting in wired and
    wireless LANs. Standardization of these attributes will enable
    improved interoperability.

- RADIUS MIB update. RFC 2618-2621 lack IPv6 compatibility, and modest
    changes are required to address this issue. MIBs for RFC 3576 are
    also needed. 

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce