Subject: Protocol Action: 'S/MIME Version 3.1 Message Specification' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:34:28 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'S/MIME Version 3.1 Message Specification '
   <draft-ietf-smime-rfc2633bis-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Steve Bellovin.

Technical Summary

  This document defines S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail
  extensions) version 3.1.  S/MIME provides a consistent way to send and
  receive secure MIME data.  Digital signatures provide authentication,
  message integrity, and non-repudiation with proof of origin.
  Encryption provides data confidentiality.  Compression can be used to
  reduce data size.

Working Group Summary

  The S/MIME Working Group came to rough consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

  Please make five changes.

  1. Please add a line to the document header to indicate that
     the published RFC will obsolete RFC 2633.

     NEW:

       Obsoletes: 2633

  2. Please replace the first sentence of the Abstract to indicate
     that the document will obsolete RFC 2633 when published as
     an RFC.

     OLD:

       This document defines S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet
       Mail extensions) version 3.1.

     NEW:

       This document defines S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet
       Mail extensions) version 3.1, and it obsoletes RFC 2633.

  3. Please change the heading on section 1.5.

     OLD:

       1.5 Changes Since S/MIME v3.0

     NEW:

       1.5 Changes Since S/MIME v3

  4. In section 2.5.2.1, please change the capitalization of
     "rC2-CBC" to match the capitalization used in [CMSALG].

     OLD:

       ... set to the value rC2-CBC as defined in [CMSALG].

     NEW:

       ... set to the value rc2-cbc as defined in [CMSALG].

  5. Please correct the typo in the last paragraph of section 3.1.2.

     OLD:

       ... if this capability in unknown ...

     NEW:

       ... if this capability is unknown ...

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce