Subject: Protocol Action: 'RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications' to Full Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:35:54 -0400

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications '
  RFC 3550 as a Full Standard
- 'RTP Profile for Audio and Video Conferences with Minimal Control '
  RFC 3551 as a Full Standard

These documents are products of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary
 
   RFC 3550 describes RTP, the real-time transport protocol.  RTP
   provides end-to-end network transport functions suitable for
   applications transmitting real-time data, such as audio, video or
   simulation data, over multicast or unicast network services.  RTP
   does not address resource reservation and does not guarantee
   quality-of-service for real-time services.  The data transport is
   augmented by a control protocol (RTCP) to allow monitoring of the
   data delivery in a manner scalable to large multicast networks, and
   to provide minimal control and identification functionality.  RTP and
   RTCP are designed to be independent of the underlying transport
   and network layers.  The protocol supports the use of RTP-level
   translators and mixers.

   RFC 3551 describes the Audio-Video Profile of RTP, "RTP/AVP", providing
   interpretations of generic fields within the RTP specification suitable for
   audio and video conferences with minimal control.  It defines a set of
   default mappings from payload type numbers to encodings, pointers
   to reference implementations and standards, and registrations of
   mediatypes.

Working Group Summary
 
 The Working Group whole-heartedly supported RTP's advancement
 to Full Standard as soon as it had spent the minimum period in
 Draft Standard.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 RTP is a mature protocol.  There are dozens of full implementations. 
 The implementation report for Draft Standard was assessed to be very
 complete.   The determination of RTP going to Full Standard was
 evaluated by Allison Mankin for the IESG.   There were several 
 messages for support for this in response to the IETF Last Call, and
 no negative messages.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce