Subject: Document Action: 'A 224-bit One-way Hash Function: SHA-224' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:59:30 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A 224-bit One-way Hash Function: SHA-224 '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-sha224-01.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Steve Bellovin and Russ Housley.

Technical Summary
 
 This draft specifies a 224-bit cryptographic hash function.  224 bits is
 the obvious choice to match triple-DES in strength against brute-force
 attacks. At least two independent implementations exist and agree on the
 test vectors in this document.

Working Group Summary
 
 Since NIST has already specified SHA-224, this was the only reasonable
 choice.

Protocol Quality
 
 Steve Bellovin has reviewed this document for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

 Please make two changes.

 1. Please correct typos in the Abstract.

    OLD:

     ... A SHA-224 is based on SHA-256, but it uses an different ...

    NEW:

     ... SHA-224 is based on SHA-256, but it uses a different ...

 2. The Introduction has two paragraphs.  Please add an additional
    paragraph at the end of the Introduction.

    NEW:

     This document makes the SHA-224 one-way hash function specification
     available to the Internet community, and it publishes the object
     identifiers for use in ASN.1-based protocols.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce