Subject: Protocol Action: 'Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGA)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:16:40 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGA) '
   <draft-ietf-send-cga-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Securing Neighbor Discovery 
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Margaret Wasserman and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   This document describes a method for binding a public signature key
   to an IPv6 address in the Secure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) protocol.
   Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGA) are IPv6 addresses where
   the interface identifier is generated by computing a cryptographic
   one-way hash function from a public key and auxiliary parameters. The
   binding between the public key and the address can be verified by
   re-computing the hash value and by comparing the hash with the
   interface identifier. Messages sent from an IPv6 address can be
   protected by attaching the public key and auxiliary parameters and by
   signing the message with the corresponding private key. The
   protection works without a certification authority or other security
   infrastructure.
 
Working Group Summary
 
This document is the work output of the SEND WG.  It reflects
updates to address last call review comments from Pekka Savola.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Margaret Wasserman.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce