Subject: Protocol Action: 'The SPIRITS (Services in PSTN requesting Internet services) Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:39:18 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The SPIRITS (Services in PSTN requesting Internet services) Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-spirits-protocol-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Service in the PSTN/IN Requesting 
InTernet Service Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary
 
The purpose of the SPIRITS protocol is to support services that originate in 
the cellular or wireline Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) and 
necessitate interactions between the PSTN and the Internet. In response to 
particular events in the PSTN (aligned with the traditional Intelligent 
Network call model), queries or notifications are passed through a SPIRITS 
gateway that interworks between the Internet and the PSTN. In particular, th
SPIRITS protocol would be leveraged to provide PSTN services like Internet 
call waiting and certain forms of Caller-ID delivery that require accessing 
Internet databases or resources. SPIRITS relies on SIP, and in particular th
SIP event framework, for its Internet-facing capabilities.
 
Working Group Summary
 
The SPIRITS Working Group maintained constantly solidarity in the advancemen
of this proposal.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.

RFC Editor Note:

Section 7, IANA Considerations

OLD:

      This document calls for IANA to:

            o register two new SIP Event Packages per [3].

            o register a new namespace URN per [16].

NEW:

      This document calls for IANA to:

            o register two new SIP Event Packages per [3].

            o register a new MIME type per [20]

            o register a new namespace URN per [16].

            o register a new XML schema per [16]

Normative References:

NEW:

      [20] N. Freed et al., "Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME)
      Part One" to "Five", RFC 2045-2049, November 1996.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce