Subject: Protocol Action: 'Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Instant Messaging and Presence' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 17:26:50 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Instant Messaging and 
   Presence '
   <draft-ietf-xmpp-im-22.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

Technical summary:

This document defines an instant messaging and presence protocol based on 
XMPP defined in draft-ietf-xmpp-core. It defines which XMPP stanzas are used

to communicate instant messages, the data of which is in UTF-8 for 
internationalization purposes. It also defines which XMPP stanzas are used 
to communicate presence information. There is extensive text in this 
document concerning the management of presence subscriptions, contact lists 
(called "rosters"), and privacy lists to meet the requirements of RFC 2779.

This document defines XML schemas for instant messaging and presence used 
in conjunction with XMPP. It also gives numerous examples. The document 
does not address end-to-end security of data nor does it discuss compliance 
with the CPIM documents. There are two companion documents to this 
one which describes these topics.

Working Group summary:

The working group has done extensive review of this document and there has 
been good consensus. There has been a great deal of participation by many 
interested folks. Several members of the working group have already 
reported implementations of the XMPP instant messaging and presence and
have interoperable implementations running in different environments. 
Since this work is based on the widely implemented Jabber protocol, 
this has provided additional interoperability and deployment experience. 
Members of the working group have examined the document and confirmed RFC 
2779 conformance. Security experts have participated in the discussion 
and have reviewed and commented on the document during its development.  
There were Last Call comments, and these have been resolved to the 
satisfcation of those raising issues.

Protocol Quality

Pete Resnick and Lisa Dusseault reviewed this document for the IESG

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce