Subject: Protocol Action: 'Mapping the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) to Common Presence and Instant Messaging (CPIM)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:53:52 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Mapping the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) to Common 
   Presence and Instant Messaging (CPIM) '
   <draft-ietf-xmpp-cpim-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Extensible Messaging and Presence 
Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary

The "Mapping XMPP to CPIM" document gives instructions for moving 
instant messages and presence information between an XMPP system and 
a CPIM compatible system. It lays out specific instructions for 
translating addresses between the systems (essentially, escaping 
characters that don't appear in the other system), translating 
between XMPP elements and attributes and CPIM headers and PIDF 
objects, adding appropriate syntax when such is not present, and 
describing how to do subscription service between the two systems.

There are internationalization concerns in this document, especially 
because XMPP allows UTF-8 in its identifiers and certain characters 
are allowed in CPIM addresses that are not allowed in XMPP 
identifiers. They seem to be addressed well. Security concerns are 
mostly those out of the base spec and out of the end-to-end 
encryption spec.

Working Group Summary

The working group has done a reasonable amount of review of this 
document. There is little controversial in this document, so 
consensus was relatively straightforward.

Protocol Quality

Pete Resnick and Lisa Dusseault reviewed this document for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce