Subject: RFC 3756 on IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (ND) Trust Models and Threats

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:25:07 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3756

        Title:      IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (ND) Trust Models and
                    Threats
        Author(s):  P. Nikander, Ed., J. Kempf, E. Nordmark
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       May 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 56674
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-send-psreq-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3756.txt

The existing IETF standards specify that IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (ND)
and Address Autoconfiguration mechanisms may be protected with IPsec
Authentication Header (AH).  However, the current specifications limit
the security solutions to manual keying due to practical problems
faced with automatic key management.  This document specifies three
different trust models and discusses the threats pertinent to IPv6
Neighbor Discovery.  The purpose of this discussion is to define the
requirements for Securing IPv6 Neighbor Discovery.

This document is a product of the Securing Neighbor Discovery Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.