Subject: Server Migration and Spam Intervention

From: The IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:52:43 -0400

On Monday May 24th at 9AM Eastern time, the Secretariat will be migrating 
primary functions to a new server and activating new spam prevention measures.  
On this new server you may notice the following upgrades.

Mailman has been upgraded to 2.1.5
Mhonarc has been upgraded to 2.6.10
Apache has been upgraded to 2.0.46

Mail flagged as spam by SpamAssassin will NOT be delivered.

All mail that is flagged as spam by SpamAssassin will be kept in a WEB accessible 
file for 30 days.  If you don't see that your message has made it to its desired 
destination, be sure to check here http://www1.ietf.org/spam-archive

In order to cut down on spam further, TMDA will be installed on the MX to form 
a challenge/response mechanism for email addresses that have not been seen before. 
Existing subscribers will be pre-authorized in TMDA, and do not need to do anything.
Read about TMDA here: http://tmda.net/.

Two of the trouble ticket systems used by the Secretariat will be migrated to RT.  
This new machine will have SpamAssasin tagging in effect 
http://ticket.foretec.com/spam-archive, as well as STRICT sender verify operations.  
If we can't send mail back to you, then use of the ticket system is mostly useless.

---------------

What will you notice?

The IP Address for www1.ietf.org will change.
The IP Address for datatracker will change.
The response messages from trouble ticket queues will change.
Hopefully spam will be significantly reduced.
You will notice these changes implemented in phases over that day. So don't expect 
to see everything change all at once.
You will notice that mail gets slow.  We are going to pause mail delivery as we redirect 
things to reduce the chance something gets lost.

----------------

What you won't notice, but has changed behind the scenes:

Re-engineered the scripts that handle message archiving. The directory structure and 
location of the mail archives have moved.  We will insert re-directs into the webserver 
to make sure you end up in the right place, but there may be a few anomalies.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archives/text
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archives/web
Will contain all of the publicly available archives.

---------------

What should you do?

Be sure to keep copies of your mail.  Due to the urgency of these upgrades, and 
the highly heterogeneous nature of this community not every use case could be tested 
(or even known).  There may be a rare circumstance where a message is lost, a message 
is mistakenly treated as spam, or a request is dropped.  If you submit something to 
a ticket system, expect a receipt.  If you don't get one, let us know.  If one of your 
messages disappears, e-mail us to let us know the details of the message 
(who/when/from where/subject/destination). 

Keep copies of your messages.  With new software, we might need you to resend that 
message one more time.  Keep a copy just in case.

If you are a mailman admin, go through your mailman admin queue before 9AM Eastern time 
and approve any held messages.  We don't know if this will be migrated when we upgrade mailman.
You can either take your chance, or approve messages.

Eventually, all of this will be documented.  For right now, we am just trying to get it 
to work :-)

The IETF Secretariat

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce