Subject: RFC 3749 on Transport Layer Security Protocol Compression Methods

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:44:15 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3749

        Title:      Transport Layer Security Protocol Compression
                    Methods
        Author(s):  S. Hollenbeck
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       May 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 16411
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tls-compression-07.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3749.txt

The Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol (RFC 2246) includes
features to negotiate selection of a lossless data compression method
as part of the TLS Handshake Protocol and to then apply the algorithm
associated with the selected method as part of the TLS Record
Protocol.  TLS defines one standard compression method which
specifies that data exchanged via the record protocol will not be
compressed.  This document describes an additional compression method
associated with a lossless data compression algorithm for use with
TLS, and it describes a method for the specification of additional
TLS compression methods.

This document is a product of the Transport Layer Security Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.